• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE acknowledging fan reaction of Raw after Wrestlemania

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
it'S been a couple of years now that WWE decided to acknowledge those after mania crowd instead of trying to fight it and i'm wondering if the fact that they acknowledge those crowd now make their impact less meaningful

What i mean by that is before, when a new guy made his debut on raw after mania or a big moment happened, the crowd reactions felt real and the guy felt like a megastar. Now it'S seem like by telling everybody watching on tv that it's normal that this crowd is loud, that your telling viewer'S at home to not really cares about how those fans reacts and it's just them being loud for the sake of being loud which could hurt those guys that debut on the main roster on those show because while they get huge pop when they show up, you just told your audience that those fans reaction don'T mean anything really. So when they show up the next week in a normal market and don'T get the same reaction, fans just give up on those new guy and so does WWE after a while. The best exemple of this is last year with apollo crews.

Also i'm kinda thinking that since this is expected from wwe and they approved of it, that at one point, just to stick it to wwe, the fans that goes to the raw and smackdown after mania will just do the complete opposite and just be silent for the whole show.

i think that WWE acknoledging those crowd has good and bad point. The good is that it give the fans that truly hates thoses crowd because of how disrespectful they are to the wrestlers understand that it's nothing major and that next week everything will come back to normal, but at the same time, i does hurt those new guys that are debuting on those shows because you're pretty much telling them that that reaction means nothing.

It's fine to acknowledge the crowd. Especially if they're being overly hostile and telling someone to shut the fuck up on a generally PG family oriented show.

What's not okay is them making a network special about it and trying to brand it like they do everything else.

I can't see it having any negative effects on the show or the viewer perception to be honest. If anything, telling the audience that the crowd is always hyped after WrestleMania gives the impression that, not only was WrestleMania off the charts, but the reactions on Raw (and SmackDown) are going to be very real and very passionate. I know I get completely lost in the crowd reactions on these episodes, hopefully casual fans and new fans do too.

To be honest, even if it does take away from things a little bit, I don't mind because some of the stuff the fans do gets annoying after a while. For instance, I don't give a shit about a beach ball, I have no interest in idiotic chants about a beach ball and I especially don't care about it going on during a good wrestling match between two talented guys that I feel deserve a bit more respect than that.

If the fans decide to try to "stick it" to WWE by sitting on their hands in the future simply because of WWE's acknowledgment, then I'd call these fans the ones who're hurting wrestling. Fans like that are usually the ones who only pop whenever wrestlers do bigger, more dangerous and unnecessary spots.

If they ever become that fickle, then they're the problem and not WWE.

Also i'm kinda thinking that since this is expected from wwe and they approved of it, that at one point, just to stick it to wwe, the fans that goes to the raw and smackdown after mania will just do the complete opposite and just be silent for the whole show.

The fans are pumped to be there. They enjoy being part of the show. The fact that the WWE has been acknowledging the fans' behavior at the post-WM RAW is not going make the fans at next years post-WM show go silent as some sort of protest. There is literally ZERO chance of that happening.

If anything, because the rowdy behavior is now "expected" of this crowd, they will only ratchet it up more, making the WWE wish they never acknowledged it in the first place. You could see some of that this year already. I don't ever remember "F__K You ____" chants, or "Shut the F___ up" chants, or "P_SSY" chants before. But we got that this year.

To be honest, even if it does take away from things a little bit, I don't mind because some of the stuff the fans do gets annoying after a while. For instance, I don't give a shit about a beach ball, I have no interest in idiotic chants about a beach ball and I especially don't care about it going on during a good wrestling match between two talented guys that I feel deserve a bit more respect than that.

If the fans decide to try to "stick it" to WWE by sitting on their hands in the future simply because of WWE's acknowledgment, then I'd call these fans the ones who're hurting wrestling. Fans like that are usually the ones who only pop whenever wrestlers do bigger, more dangerous and unnecessary spots.

If they ever become that fickle, then they're the problem and not WWE.

Thing is, a lot of fans already are that fickle. Just look at the treatment someone like Roman Reigns gets. If Reigns had come along during the Attitude Era or the early 00's next to Batista and Cena, he would've easily been one of the biggest stars of all time. Now, however, since there are more and more so called 'smart fans' that can't bring themselves to be pleased by anything the WWE does, he's one of the most booed and hated superstars out there and he isn't even a damn heel.

Then, you hear all the time from fans, "Bring back such and such". Then the WWE brings back such and such and all of a sudden it's, "Part timers are taking spots away from the guys that are there everyday and this is bullshit". Well, do you know what, the part timers seem to draw and sell better than all of the guys that are there everyday so it makes perfect sense why the WWE would use them in their big spots. If you fickle ass fans didn't shit on everything new that the WWE tried to do then maybe the use of part timers wouldn't be needed. Anyways, I digress.

The WWE acknowledged the after 'Mania crowd to, as has been said, lower their impact. Which, I think is needed. The after 'Mania crowd, while entertaining, is overly obnoxious and rude. I love the energy, but being disrespectful to guys pouring their lives into this craft is never warranted. Idc how upset you are with the current product that's really the same as the old product but you can't see that because you're a dumbass and you just want something to bitch about.

WWE is doing the right thing by almost discrediting that crowd. That is the worst crowd of the year, or at least the most irritating. They go against the grain just for the sake of being different. Those are the most hardcore, hater fans you can find in one place each year. The audience at home should know that, because it's 100% accurate.

the one thing that really did bug me with that crowd on raw last monday was when they started to throw beach ball and chanting about it while their was a great match going on between Neville and mustafa ali. In fact to me this was the match of the night and the fans decided to do something else instead.

If i was the talent, iwould be offended by this and next time, maybe i would just go on and just do the bare minimum since fans really don'T seem to cares anyway.

The one thing i will say is that the crowd on smackdown was way better then on raw, they we're more respectful of the wrestlers and actually brought something to the product.

You know they could just solve the whole problem by muting the crowd and not saying a word about it. The worst thing you can do to rowdy fans is to make a big deal about it, they will become more rowdy because they are getting the attention they want.

Don't they run some kind of a delay anyway so just turn down the crowd mic's. I've noticed that on the LD threads if the crowd is dead it is remarked on. The crowd interacting is part of the show, sort of brings it to life for those of us watching at home on a flat screen. The Takeover Toronto match between Dillinger and Roode was taken to a whole new level by the crowd getting behind both guys.

Yes some fans are assholes and will try to make it all about them, but in all honestly, most fans I see will boo and cheer when someone is introduced or a something great happens in the ring. Most of the rest of the time they sit quietly and enjoy the show. Unfortunately you can't gauge who will be the idiots as they walk through the front door with their tickets in hand, you have to take your chances. The only other thing I can see is fans will just sit there and do nothing, which would the WWE prefer.

People get so irritated at the fans, it makes me laugh. Honestly, the Raw crowd after Mania adds more to the show than they take away. Sure they can be moronic sometimes like chanting for a stupid beach ball, but they can also create moments like the opening segment. People were praising that as one of the strongest Raw openings in a long time and is wasn't because Roman said five words. It was because Roman said five words after the fans roasted him for 10 minutes. They make debuting guys like The Revival look like stars right out of the gate and they make returns like Finn Balor's impactful.

Acknowledge it or not, the Raw after Mania crowd is always going to be rowdy. Might as well make it seem like you're a part of it rather than ignore it and make it seem like the fans are high-jacking the show.

People get so irritated at the fans, it makes me laugh. Honestly, the Raw crowd after Mania adds more to the show than they take away.

You can't really complain what you can't control. When you are sitting at home and others have paid money to attend an event, whatever they do when they are there is out of your hands.

The RAW after Mania is known to get a little silly. So the WWE has two choices, mute the crowd in the hopes that it doesn't come off as too obvious. Or let them go and make the noise. Which would the WWE rather have, a noisy crowd or a bunch of people who sit there and say nothing. It's dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Besides been to many rock concerts here where beach balls have been in play. No one cares they just swat them away when they come close. Wasn't any at Survivor Series, but it was a snowy night not the kind of night for beach balls anyway.

Acknowledging crowd reaction has more pros than cons. The croqd reaction actually does signify about that particular performer's relationship with the live audience.

Also, something is always better than nothing. You look at Apollo Crews who gets almost negligible reaction as a face and then see someone like Jericho whose list is much more over than multiple superstars.

Roman Reigns won't be getting pushed if he would've been getting negligible reaction. That says a lot.

Acknowledging crowd reaction has more pros than cons. The croqd reaction actually does signify about that particular performer's relationship with the live audience.

Also, something is always better than nothing. You look at Apollo Crews who gets almost negligible reaction as a face and then see someone like Jericho whose list is much more over than multiple superstars.

Roman Reigns won't be getting pushed if he would've been getting negligible reaction. That says a lot.

But at the same time, let'S take for exemple, apollo crews, here's a guy that made his debut last year on the raw after mania and got a huge reaction from the crowd. fans for that show really we'Re into him, so has a TV viewers you are thinking that this guy most be something if he gets that big of a reaction the first time around.

So the company gets behind him because of this but then Crews wrestled for the first time in front of a normal crowd and their reaction is less loud and the more the weeks past the more the crowd get lower and he's been booked the exact same way every week yet, when put in front of a normal crowd, he doesn'T connect with fans. Same goes with alot of NXT call up, they get a huge reaction during that weekend because of the nature of the crowd, yet when put in front of a crowd that doesn'T necessarily watch NXT, they just don'T connect with them because since they continue to push them the same way that they we're push on NXT, fans don't have an emotional attachment to these new character.

That why, i think the crowds after mania are so important in a way, it'S to help casual fans that only watch Raw and smackdown or one of the 2 shows to really understand why this guy is over and by telling viewers at home that these guys are just having a good time and they cheer and boo whoever, it'S kinda like telling them to don'T pay attention to the fan reaction because they don'T matter this week, but next week you can get a better idea of how these guys are over with the fans.

But at the same time, let'S take for exemple, apollo crews, here's a guy that made his debut last year on the raw after mania and got a huge reaction from the crowd. fans for that show really we'Re into him, so has a TV viewers you are thinking that this guy most be something if he gets that big of a reaction the first time around.

So the company gets behind him because of this but then Crews wrestled for the first time in front of a normal crowd and their reaction is less loud and the more the weeks past the more the crowd get lower and he's been booked the exact same way every week yet, when put in front of a normal crowd, he doesn'T connect with fans. Same goes with alot of NXT call up, they get a huge reaction during that weekend because of the nature of the crowd, yet when put in front of a crowd that doesn'T necessarily watch NXT, they just don'T connect with them because since they continue to push them the same way that they we're push on NXT, fans don't have an emotional attachment to these new character.

That why, i think the crowds after mania are so important in a way, it'S to help casual fans that only watch Raw and smackdown or one of the 2 shows to really understand why this guy is over and by telling viewers at home that these guys are just having a good time and they cheer and boo whoever, it'S kinda like telling them to don'T pay attention to the fan reaction because they don'T matter this week, but next week you can get a better idea of how these guys are over with the fans.
The thing is that these events after Wrestlemania either Raw or Smackdown are packed with people full of energy. I mean, this week is arguably the best week in the whole year for professional wrestling and it isn't just Wrestlemania. Other promotions also give their best in order to get more exposure as it's the best time to do so.

Apollo Crews was someone who was rushed to the main roster just for the sake of call-up. He wasn't even significantly over in NXT. That signifies that the audience hadn't connected with him yet. And that was in NXT where most talents get reactions. I have yet to see someone who didn't get significant reaction in NXT and then proceeded to get huge reaction on main roster. The fact that he couldn't even connect with NXT audience says a lot. In fact, he wasn't given enough time as well. The guy's talented for sure but couldn't evoke a reaction. His call-up was a horrible botch. It's more about connection than the crowd itself.

Someone like Jinder Mahal wouldn't be cheered on these nights.

Also, NXT call-ups have been pretty good when it comes to the cream of NXT. Finn Balor gets huge reaction. Enzo and Cass do. Revival did. Shinsuke Nakamura did. Samoa Joe did. Tye Dillinger did. Baron Corbin did. American Alpha did.

These have got great reactions. But the reaction dies when there ain't any reason to care about them.

The thing is that these events after Wrestlemania either Raw or Smackdown are packed with people full of energy. I mean, this week is arguably the best week in the whole year for professional wrestling and it isn't just Wrestlemania. Other promotions also give their best in order to get more exposure as it's the best time to do so.

Apollo Crews was someone who was rushed to the main roster just for the sake of call-up. He wasn't even significantly over in NXT. That signifies that the audience hadn't connected with him yet. And that was in NXT where most talents get reactions. I have yet to see someone who didn't get significant reaction in NXT and then proceeded to get huge reaction on main roster. The fact that he couldn't even connect with NXT audience says a lot. In fact, he wasn't given enough time as well. The guy's talented for sure but couldn't evoke a reaction. His call-up was a horrible botch. It's more about connection than the crowd itself.

Someone like Jinder Mahal wouldn't be cheered on these nights.

Also, NXT call-ups have been pretty good when it comes to the cream of NXT. Finn Balor gets huge reaction. Enzo and Cass do. Revival did. Shinsuke Nakamura did. Samoa Joe did. Tye Dillinger did. Baron Corbin did. American Alpha did.

These have got great reactions. But the reaction dies when there ain't any reason to care about them.

exactly and looking at the list you just mention, Finn balor isn't as over as he once was anymore if i'm basing myself from what i saw last week, he got a really good initial reaction for his entrance and then they just couldn'T care less about the match. Joe lost some steam, enzo and cass are over but again it'S more the entrance then the in ring that is over. Corbin never was really over to begin with and american alpha has pretty much loss all steam and their title reigns was what killed them.

As for the new comers, i think it'S too early to judge them but out of the three, i think the revival will have the toughest time keeping their momentum because the raw crowd is a harder crowd to get over with then smackdown. Dillinger will always be somewhat over but he's a mid card act at best if he's stays on smackdown and nakamura, it's to early to tell because he hasn'T really wrestled a match on the main roster yet. I know his entrance is over with the crowd but like you said you need to create a emotional attachment with the crowd and that's going to be key for him especially since i'm thinking that they might want to use him as the new face of smackdown after AJ Styles goes to smackdown, so if he doesn't create this connection with the fans during his matches, you just got another wrestlers that's over because of his cool entrance which you is the worst thing for a performer.

exactly and looking at the list you just mention, Finn balor isn't as over as he once was anymore if i'm basing myself from what i saw last week, he got a really good initial reaction for his entrance and then they just couldn'T care less about the match. Joe lost some steam, enzo and cass are over but again it'S more the entrance then the in ring that is over. Corbin never was really over to begin with and american alpha has pretty much loss all steam and their title reigns was what killed them.

As for the new comers, i think it'S too early to judge them but out of the three, i think the revival will have the toughest time keeping their momentum because the raw crowd is a harder crowd to get over with then smackdown. Dillinger will always be somewhat over but he's a mid card act at best if he's stays on smackdown and nakamura, it's to early to tell because he hasn'T really wrestled a match on the main roster yet. I know his entrance is over with the crowd but like you said you need to create a emotional attachment with the crowd and that's going to be key for him especially since i'm thinking that they might want to use him as the new face of smackdown after AJ Styles goes to smackdown, so if he doesn't create this connection with the fans during his matches, you just got another wrestlers that's over because of his cool entrance which you is the worst thing for a performer.
I don't think that Finn Balor is any less over. The poses done by him were done by the crowd as well. I will wait for a couple of weeks more to judge him as this week is just full of reactions and what not.

Joe has been awesome even getting more heat than Kevin Owens.

Saying that Enzo and Cass are over more for entrance would be unfair. They are a pretty charismatic team and that's what evokes huge reaction from crowd. Corbin was slow initially but that's because of his booking. Him against Ziggler won't be having huge reaction. He's been getting better reaction in this year though.

Can't blame American Alpha. What did they have? Usos? That's it. Again that would be unfair. Also, I'll give Revival more time as I know that they have what makes people boo them.

Tye Dillinger will remain over due to "10". Nakamura is going to be over as well. It's not about their roles aka midcard for Dillinger and whatnot. It's about getting a reaction.

Like, even Apollo Crews will get a good reaction if he's against a good heel.

I don't think that anyone I expected to be good has disappointed me as of now by themselves. Their booking however does so. Like see Bayley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back