Wrestling Spam Zone Heated Debate (Currently serving up WWE Hall of Fame)

I don't see why people criticize the Hogan/Ande match. it was a fantastic piece of story telling. Was it a technical masterpiece? No. But it is a damn fine match. The level of drama is off the charts here. Its one of the most iconic matches in the history of wrestling.

Exactly. The problem is people these days expect to see guys running a million miles a minute, and so when they think mega main-event, they have different expectations than what Hogan vs. Andre gives us. It's really not a bad match at all. It's not a great match, but it's far from the terrible rap it gets from people.

I thought it would be a running thread, and clearly it's just died.

I blame everyone else. And what did you say that was so stupid?

I maintain that Hogan vs. Andre is not a good match. It never delivered on it's hype, mainly because of how far gone Andre was in the ring at that time. For a perfect counter-example of a match having great hype and build and actually delivering on that, see Hogan vs. Warrior at Wrestlemania 6. Now that match delivered on the epic battle we were promised. I've never felt the main event of WM3 did.

I can hear it now.... My fans are supporting me... Crocky, Crocky, Crocky! The match meant a lot to the biz but it was shit.

Just by looking at the ages of some of the guys posting here, I can see why it would be hard for some of you to really appreciate Hogan vs Andre. I'll be the first to admit, if I go back and watch that match right now judging it solely on the quality of wrestling, the match sucked ass. If you watch all the buildup to the match and see the whole storyline from beginning to end, the match goes down as one of the most important matches in WWF history.

I know some guys will still say it doesn't matter about the story, the match still sucked. I like to compare it to Austin vs McMahon at the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. The story was well told and well hyped. The match went on and everybody got to see what they wanted and went home happy. Without the storyline, Austin vs McMahon was just as bad as Hogan vs Andre from a pure wrestling standpoint.

I maintain that Hogan vs. Andre is not a good match. It never delivered on it's hype, mainly because of how far gone Andre was in the ring at that time. For a perfect counter-example of a match having great hype and build and actually delivering on that, see Hogan vs. Warrior at Wrestlemania 6. Now that match delivered on the epic battle we were promised. I've never felt the main event of WM3 did.
Did you ever go back and watch it again? Did you see how most of the things you were saying weren't true (about the story, bearhug, etc.)?

That match is fucking horrible, I watched it once after hearing so much about it and I hated it. Absolute shit.

Oh really? What made it shit? Do you even know?
Just by looking at the ages of some of the guys posting here, I can see why it would be hard for some of you to really appreciate Hogan vs Andre. I'll be the first to admit, if I go back and watch that match right now judging it solely on the quality of wrestling, the match sucked ass. If you watch all the buildup to the match and see the whole storyline from beginning to end, the match goes down as one of the most important matches in WWF history.
Not really.

I was like a lot of people here, who watched it once and was so underwhelmed I thought very negatively about it, but when I went back and watched it a little while ago, it's really not that bad at all. It may not be the titanic and epic match we've come to expect from Wrestlemania, but it's really not that bad at all, and is actually quite solid when you factor in the physical condition Andre was in.

It really wasn't that bad of a match.

Not really.

I was like a lot of people here, who watched it once and was so underwhelmed I thought very negatively about it, but when I went back and watched it a little while ago, it's really not that bad at all. It may not be the titanic and epic match we've come to expect from Wrestlemania, but it's really not that bad at all, and is actually quite solid when you factor in the physical condition Andre was in.

It really wasn't that bad of a match.

I agree with you Sly. What I meant by "sucked ass", was if you compare it to some of the more technical classics such as Bret vs Owen or Angle vs Benoit for example. I should have been more specific.

I agree with you Sly. What I meant by "sucked ass", was if you compare it to some of the more technical classics such as Bret vs Owen or Angle vs Benoit for example. I should have been more specific.

While you didn't say this, do you consider the only "classics" to be those of a "technical" persuasion? For example, do you consider Hart vs. Austin to be a classic?

Gee... look at this thread here. I never even noticed it. What's the subject at hand?

Why Hogan vs. Andre is a good match.

It used to be why I thought Daniel Bryan would return at Summerslam. Sly called me an idiot for even thinking it.

Why Hogan vs. Andre is a good match.

Because the story was well-written, Andre was a formidable threat for Hogan at the time, and Wrestlemania hype was at its peak.

It used to be why I thought Daniel Bryan would return at Summerslam. Sly called me an idiot for even thinking it.

And Sly was 100% correct.

Well, I didn't really think it would happen, I just thought it would fit logically if it did.

And then it did.

No one really saw it coming. It really didn't make a heap of sense when it did but it was good for a cheap pop.

Yes it did make sense.

Bryan had problems with Nexus.
Bryan had problems with Miz.
Miz looked unstoppable when it came to his US Title. All people who could have been contenders had been beaten.

It was the perfect time for him to return.

But the thing was that you've over-hyping how popular he was at the time. He really was as important and impactful on the storyline as you make it out to be.

Bryan had problems with Nexus.

So did the rest of the roster, including the ring announcer.

Bryan had problems with Miz.

And the storyline was ruined and dried up the day Bryan was sent packing.

Miz looked unstoppable when it came to his US Title. All people who could have been contenders had been beaten.

But who did he face that was a real threat?? R-Truth?!?

It was the perfect time for him to return.

I was happy for him returning at ANY time. But at (arguably) the second biggest PPV of the year in the main event? I just don't think the timing was right. He wasn't hyped, advertised, or foreshadowed. It made for a good shock to the IWC fans, but the main audience was mostly silent during his return... that is, until he started wrestling. He's a master in the ring so his moveset got him great pops. But when Cena said his name the crowd was scratching their heads.

But then he won them over, so it's all good.

And anyway, it's over, he's back, all is well.

Like I said, the result became a success due to his in-ring prowess. But his return made no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back