WOULD A Gay Character Work in WWE?

There will never be a gay "character" in WWE. Why? Because once you say "character" in WWE you inevitably wind up with a "caricature". What purpose would that serve? It's amazing that WWE acknowledges Darren Young's sexuality (and have even done so on television) to the point of demonstrating to viewers that it's no big deal and promote acceptance but beyond that? Who the hell cares? Can you imagine the commentary?

Cole : "Titus O'Neil and Darren Young have just won their third tag team championship!"

Lawler : "And in case you didn't know it yet folks, Darren Young enjoys penises!"

Just leave things as they are. Darren Young is not a gay wrestler/entertainer. He's a wrestler/entertainer who just so happens to be gay.

If WWE wants to have a gay character in WWE all they have to do is have Darren Young state in an interview on Raw or Smackdown that he wants to be a role model for gay athletes, Titus O'Neill never turns on Darren Young, they remain good friends like Reigns and Ambrose, helping each other when Young and O'Neill go their own way and make no further mentions of Young being openly gay.

Any attempts to use being "gay" in a storyline will garner negative publicity and continued references could backfire with fans making homophobic remarks on social media or live on television.

Adrian Adonis who pushed the boundaries of being "gay" with his effeminate personality was a flop and Adrian Adonis NEVER was rewarded for playing a character that had no hope.

Goldust was "in love" with Razor Ramon and I believe it legitimately made Scott Hall uncomfortable and that aspect of Goldust's gimmick was dropped not to long after.

This is by far the dumbest thing I have ever read. They tried "gay" Billy and Chuck, Mickie and Trish.....they have worked these angles, the problem is people like YOU who this gay means something different that normal.

:disappointed:

Obviously you didn't read my OP, where I clearly state that I believe sexual orientation shouldn't play a factor in pro-wrestling, gay, straight or whatever. Just for the record, a gay man doesn't have to act like a fucking panzy in order to portray a gay character, which YOU implied, not me. If Darren Young were to come out and say his part about being a gay man in the pro-wrestling business and the struggles he's faced, that would define Young portraying himself (a gay man) as an on-screen character.

Read the post before commenting so you don't look like such a jackass next time.

They tried with Billy & Chuck. I don't remember it being particularly horrible until the wedding on RAW. And before that, there was the awkward "friendship" angle between Shane McMahon and Chris Benoit.

Na it never work having a character portraying gay characteristics or being actually gay
Rico, Goldust, Adrian Adonis, Adrian Street, Orlando Jordon, Billy and Chuck, Mickie James (initially), Darren Young, Leaping Lanny Poffo.

and that's just the obvious recent ones.

WWE imitates life so if enough people were invested they would run with it, how they would book the themes tho is another question.

And all of you are saying this and that about "gay" characters.

It seems that society intentionally ignores the first definition of that word. It means happy!

And before I continue, I apologise for any offence taken.

Jovial, smiling, friendly. All three of these terms can define anyone, regardless of sexual orientation. Just as someone who is the polar opposite of that can appear to be a contemptible muthaf**ka who doesn't give a damn about being whatever. Many humans have a tendency to judge the proverbial book by the cover, and an additional tendency to stick labels on others. Point being, that while Darren Young in reality may be gay, why attempt to weave who he is into the fibers of his wrestling character? I tune in to see wrestlers kick ass! If they're (the wrestlers themselves) walking around backstage with a smile on their face being jovial, I don't care either way. That was my main gripe with the issue: people having forgotten what the word means to begin with.

So, in that context, they could completely make a gay character work (as they have)... or have it go horribly wrong (as they do on a regular basis).

In regards to the actual question and not the asinine statement above, it's subjective. Why bother trying to fix something that isn't broken? Like my signature font colours. There is no way that in any angle wwe runs that someone isn't coming away from relatively upset. And at the same time, it's very easy (when you're a big company like WWE) to put your foot in your mouth for things that, while may seem harmless to you (WWE) will definitely piss many people off.

I know I have.

Edit: Also, this font colour is the closest I could get to my custom. It's mainly electric blurple.

I just think it's better left alone. If the WWE were create a gay character they would have to exaggerate the actions of the character by making him extremely feminine or flaming so people would know what they were portraying. That would anger the gay crowd as all gay people don't act that way and the backlash would be massive. You also couldn't do it with a straight person because that would forever link them to the gay character and be treated that way by the fans and I don't know if a person could handle dealing with that stigma.

I don't think WWE could take gay and make a gimmick out of it, however, I do believe that they could do a gay storyline. For example: Take Darren Young and have him mention being gay in an interview. Don't change anything about him, just make known in kayfabe that he's gay. Then, as someone has said, have a heel start having problems with Young. After a few weeks of unexplained incidents from the heel towards Young, finally have the heel cut the he's gay promo and then go from there. After they have their match or matches and the heel realizes Young is just as much man as he is, have them shake hands or hug in acceptance.

It'd make for a great equality story and would be great for their Be A Star campaign.

That was a hilariously idiotic thing for someone in her position to say.

What exactly does a "gay character" consist of? Making out with other dudes?

Darren Young is a gay guy. He wrestles. Neither thing is mutually exclusive, nor do they need to be.

Darren Young's character is portrayed exactly how a gay character should be. As being just like everyone else.

Exactly. How can she say Darren young isn't a gay character? We have yet to see his character in any relationship capacity. And until we do his character is neither gay nor straight. His character has no sexual orientation until sexuality/romanticism enters his storylines

I just don't see WWE or any wrestling promotion for that matter having the kind of restraint and maturity to write a homosexual character who isn't a collection of stereotypes. Even if it were an actual homosexual wrestler who was completely on board with doing the character and is mocking the stereotypes by playing them tongue in cheek, can we really trust wrestling fans or the mainstream media to understand the subtlety behind it? It's like Dave Chappelle and why he quit his show. White audiences were missing the point and took him playing the stereotypes at face value. That's most likely what would happen for a homosexual wrestler. The fans would most likely laugh haha it's funny because he's gay.

Or if they went a different route and had that wrestler not do the stereotypes at all I don't think audiences would really understand the character was supposed to be a homosexual. Granted this would largely be due to the fact that as a family show you really can't show the characters having sex.

It's a sin because I have watched shows that had homosexual characters and it was very entertaining watching them and their struggles against bigotry. If wrestling is going to have a so-called reality era then they need to include homosexual characters. Real characters not just corny gimmicks cobbled together from broken down outdated tropes.

It would be very tricky to pull off, as unless he's going to be a flamboyant stereotype, there will be no reason for them to even acknowledge it. Furthermore, you never know how audiences are going to react. Sometimes wrestling fans can be...very offensive. It would be awkward if Darren Young was booed for simply acknowledging that he had a boyfriend.

On the other hand, Stephanie's comments made me laugh as Titus DID acknowledge Darren's sexuality in at least one skit. I don't remember the context, but they were taking a dig at the New Day and briefly mentioned it, although it could've gone over the audiences heads.

In the future I'm sure it won't be a big deal, but right now...I dunno.

The problem with a "gay character" is that such a character would almost certainly be made up of various stereotypes

That's the problem right there. If they had Darren say he was gay on camera and not really change who he is then that would be one thing, but they would probably start having him come out in pink and acting more feminine.

It's odd, because while we all know of people who fit into a "gay" stereotype, we frequently don't understand that millions of Americans are homosexual or bisexual and live in silence. For Darren Young (gimmick) to come out on TV and say that he's a proud gay man, and then literally act absolutely NO differently would be a massive pillar for many living in hiding.

It really bothers me that his gimmick isn't "Darren Young, but gay, but acting no differently than previous Darren Young".

The issue with gay characters in any type of family entertainment, is the question of what would make a character appear gay instantly to the audience without being vulgar or stereotypical towards gays?

The issue with gay characters in any type of family entertainment, is the question of what would make a character appear gay instantly to the audience without being vulgar or stereotypical towards gays?

Its not that difficult, Give Darren Young an on screen boyfriend. who would have thought of that? they don't have to be vulgar, have them walk to the ring with their arms around each other, have them do a celebratory kiss after a win... The issue is, WWE is afraid that little bit of simplicity would disgust their audience and they would turn away. kinda hypocritical though considering their use of HLA in the past.

You know, just in the last few weeks, Dolph, Rusev, Summer Rae, AND Lana have all had on screen kisses. I mean, I don't want to force anyone kiss someone if they don't want to, but there could at least be an acknowledgement of his orientation on televised programming.

Just because Darren Young is gay, maybe he doesn't want an onscreen boyfriend, or doesn't want to kiss another man. It's not a gimmick, it's who he is as a person.

When we start taking who they are, in this case a gay man, and using it too give his character some depth, other's might see it as exploitation and maybe Young isn't comfortable with that. He's come out and said he's gay and shouldn't be treated any differently than he was before.

I know and work with people that are gay, and we don't treat them any differently than we do anyone else. What they do behind closed doors is their business, but when they're in public, they don't wear neon signs screaming "Hey I'm gay, look at me". No they dress the same as every other person you see walking down the street. You wouldn't know until they told you.

Just because Darren Young is gay, maybe he doesn't want an onscreen boyfriend, or doesn't want to kiss another man. It's not a gimmick, it's who he is as a person.

When we start taking who they are, in this case a gay man, and using it too give his character some depth, other's might see it as exploitation and maybe Young isn't comfortable with that. He's come out and said he's gay and shouldn't be treated any differently than he was before.

I know and work with people that are gay, and we don't treat them any differently than we do anyone else. What they do behind closed doors is their business, but when they're in public, they don't wear neon signs screaming "Hey I'm gay, look at me". No they dress the same as every other person you see walking down the street. You wouldn't know until they told you.

On the flip side to that , I've worked with people who practically do wear neon signs that scream hey I'm gay, pay attention everyone. But its obvious Young doesn't fall into the over flamboyant gay type. To ask him to change would be wrong....BUT on the flip side to THAT , I think Young does need SOMETHING , anything to change what he's doing now...he's just too damn generic in my opinion.

Isn't Cena's character bi? I mean I know they haven't answered what "Cena sucks!" but I just assumed it was implied dick.

But anyway, a gay character could certainly work and seems inevitable. Raw is basically on par with a long runnign soap opera. Soap operas have added gay characters. It doesn't mean it has to be Darren Young to play that role but it would make sense. It also doesn't mean that the character's sexuality has to be a huge focus of the story. Some times after a big moment a wrestler will embrace their family and loved ones. The gay character or gay individual could simply kiss their loved one - similar to Abby Wambach at the end of the World Cup - after winning a big match. No big deal, not part of a big story, great press. The character and world moves on from there as no big deal.

I'm not saying he does and if he doesn't that's fine, I was just disagreeing with people saying you can't do a gay character without being distasteful

:disappointed:

Obviously you didn't read my OP, where I clearly state that I believe sexual orientation shouldn't play a factor in pro-wrestling, gay, straight or whatever. Just for the record, a gay man doesn't have to act like a fucking panzy in order to portray a gay character, which YOU implied, not me. If Darren Young were to come out and say his part about being a gay man in the pro-wrestling business and the struggles he's faced, that would define Young portraying himself (a gay man) as an on-screen character.

Read the post before commenting so you don't look like such a jackass next time.

If its not the stereotypical flamboyant gay character, You haven't stated what a gay character consists of? Once he's come out and said about the struggles he's faced being gay, What happens then? Is he going to explain his struggles before every single match? That would get very boring fast.
You appear to be making judgements because he's gay he must be a character.
Can he not just wrestle as himself as an average guy who happens to be gay?
Maybe I'm missing part of your point? Your describing a character but that is not a character. May as well say The Undertaker plays a straight hetrosexual guy character.

If its not the stereotypical flamboyant gay character, You haven't stated what a gay character consists of?

A man who is interested in other men. A man who quite possibly has a boyfriend. Perhaps a few feuds based around others making insensitive assumptions about a gay mans masculinity, where said gay man must "prove himself". It doesn't always have to be flamboyancy that classifies somebody as gay.

You appear to be making judgements because he's gay he must be a character.

I'm not making judgements, I am asking a question. We see angles where heterosexual males are making out with females, or fighting over females, or vice versa. What's the problem with a homosexual male trying to win over another man? Also, I'm just using Darren Young as an example, it doesn't have to be him at all. It could be anybody.

Can he not just wrestle as himself as an average guy who happens to be gay?

Sure, but that's not the point of the thread...

Kanyon wanted to do something on screen with his orientation, I believe when he worked in WWE, and was told no. Probably because he was a dude and if they couldn't make it out to be a joke then it would be "too uncomfortable".

If he had been a chick though and they did something with it on a serious level then hardly anyone would blink an eye. Remember that Dawn and Torrie angle where they kissed in the hotel room or wherever it was? They said they split a bottle of wine before it happened because they were both uncomfortable with it and didn't want to do it. People watching seemed fine with it for the most part though.

Serious male on male romance characters in wrestling are still a taboo.

Yet if they brought Rosa on screen on a regular basis and had her going around hitting on other Divas and kissing them and shit she could easily do it and not have them tag it as "she's playing mind games" or anything.

I use her as an example because I know she's kissed a couple Divas on TD which we're supposed to think is them as their real selves and not characters.

That was a hilariously idiotic thing for someone in her position to say.

What exactly does a "gay character" consist of? Making out with other dudes?

Darren Young is a gay guy. He wrestles. Neither thing is mutually exclusive, nor do they need to be.

Darren Young's character is portrayed exactly how a gay character should be. As being just like everyone else.
Being "just like everyone else" is not how a gay character should be because in this society if you say nothing then the people are assuming that you are straight.
WWE gave us in all these years so many stereotypical gimmicks (homosexual gimmicks included) and that made us believe a wrestler with a homosexual gimmick can't work if it isn't stereotypical.
A gay character can work in WWE. He can be for example a homosexual version of Bret Hart, Bret was known on WWE TV for all these years as a family man despite his wife and children never appearing on WWE TV. His wife and children were never part of a storyline yet he was portrayed as a family man on WWE TV. It was mentioned a few times by Bret and the commentators in interviews to let people know that he is married and has children but not too much to make it a stereotypical family man gimmick.
Or you can have him have a guy accompany him to the ring, known as his partner just to remind people that he is in love with a guy. That doesn't mean they need to make out and kiss each other all the time to make it an over the top gay gimmick, just to remind people. A homosexual version of Booker T and Sharmell. I can't remember them making out ever on WWE TV but just have Sharmell accompany Booker to the ring made people remind them that he is a married guy without a need to prove it every week that he has a woman in his life.
A homosexual character can work without being some Rico character

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back