• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Winter is Coming - The Night is Dark and Full of Spoilers

I have no idea what a tumblr is, but after a (it has to be said, quite small) bit of whinging of show Stannis' best lines and moments being removed in favour of a far more villainy approach, such as the removal of 'weakwing' and the fact that the guy is well aware that this quest is going to kill him "a crown of fire consuming its wearer", in favour of "yer, burn Gendry, secks Mel! Shadowbaby!" as if the book version wasn't dark enough at this point. Someone pointed my attention toward this;

Pheonix, don't click that link. Spoilers abound.

http://stannis-is-the-villain.tumblr.com/

Very funny. My personal favourite;

“My loyal silly jealous hand,” he said, chuckling. “I’ve only have one adviser, I promise you.”
Davos Seaworth smiled tremulously. “Only one? Your Grace do you swear it? Only one?”
“Only Melisandre.” He gave him a short, sharp shove.
Davos stumbled backward, his feet slipping on the ice. And then He was gone. he never screamed. For the longest time there was no sound but the wind.
Jon Snow gasped, “You … you …”
The King was screaming "This bastard killed my Onion Knight.”

Барбоса;4806013 said:
There is a good chance that Ilyn Payne will be written out as I think the actor died.

Wilko Johnson. He's not dead. He does have terminal cancer though

Just watched the red wedding. Even though I knew what happened and had even seen the clip before, with context I am now an emotional wreck

Didnt bother me at all. Eddard was THE Stark, Robb was a weaker copy, same as Jon Snow. I know, I am heartless

Robb was a boy in a man's world.

Jon is the same at the moment but he will grow to be more of an heir to Ned - forged in trying circumstances, forced to face the grim realities of not just the battlefield but of politics, which Robb never really grasped to his ultimate cost.

Robb was the vengeful child. Jon is the leader in the making.

I did feel sorry for Robb, Renly's attempted usurping combined with the Greatjon being a twat got him that cool "King in the North" moment, which was ultimately his doom, since it alienated potential southern allies, especially Stannis. But as someone that doesn't really go in for "vengeance" characters like Robb mean little to me. Oberyn Martell might be vengeance motivated, but he's interesting at least.

My interest in whether Jon Snow lives or dies hinges almost solely on his supporting cast, Tormund especially, because he is essentially a blank slate, plus, in a series which tries its best to avoid tropes, Jon has had the "mentor teaches student valuable lesson, mentor then dies so student can go on to do great deeds" trope happen to him no less than three times now.

Four if you count the Pink Letter. Which incidentally leaves me with no one to root for :(

I know I am in the minority, since people like Disney, but Jon and Daenerys are two pretty uninteresting characters who, with Robb Stark dead, could potentially fulfill all the Disney fanfiction people like to put into this series. Scratch that, the latter of those two switches from sympathetic to pretty unlikeable at times, its HBO whitewashing that makes her uninteresting to me.

I just liked Eddard more. He was interesting by himself, damn it. On the other hand, Bran, Arya, Sansa, all very enjoyable characters. I dunno about Rickon yet, but his wolf is called Shaggydog, so I won't get my hopes up.

I am not a fan of Dani at all. It is the characters around her that are interesting and when I see people claiming that she is the most well-rounded leader in the fight for the Iron Throne, it makes me want to vomit. She has made nothing but mistakes and is so wrapped up in her destiny and birthright that she is becoming more like a pre-Blackwater/Davos Stannis - unbending and unloved - than a potential benevolent occupant of the Iron Throne. There is hope for her though in the form of those who have just signed on with Ben Plumm...

Jon is somewhat similar as he has an excellent surrounding cast but he himself is still interesting given the choices he has been faced with. He is actually learning from them rather than continually making the same mistakes like Dani and Robb.

Along with Stannis and Jaime, Dani and Jon are the leaders in development.

As to the others, I am not a fan of Bran at all either. Aside from Hodor and the occasional greenseeing, I find him and his story to be Boring. Boring. Boring. All the good bits involving him are when his band encounters others - Jon and the Wildlings, Samwell, Coldhands, Bloodraven and the Children.

Ayra is entertaining, especially as her warging is enabling her to retain some of her past in opposition to her training. She has a major role to play in the final power struggles.

Sansa is growing on me as she starts to recognise how much of a pain in the arse she was in the early stages (and a major instigator in the downfall of her house). I can see her doing for Littlefinger. Perhaps she will 'make him fly' out the Moon Door?

I really do not want Rickon to become a major player. He could definitely be a very different Stark - a dark, vengeful type worse than Arya, more in the mould of Lady Stoneheart - but it is really a bit too late to be building a large role for him, even with the deal presented to Davos, which in itself would seem to put Rickon in the role of figurehead.

Yey or ney - Jon is able to communicate with that big fuckoff pack of wolves who get mentioned in the 5th book, rather than Bran?

I'm sure that Sansa will be able to speak fluent bitch though, so she could be an outside bet.

Is the whole warging thing genetic then do you think?

Arya would be interesting but I'm kind of hoping that she stops wanting to be a Stark in some ways. The pack would be a nice gift to Jon and Ghost.

At least three of the Stark children have shown themselves to be wargs - Jon, Bran, and Arya, with rumours of Robb also while the attitude of Shaggydog mirroring Rickon would suggest a similar connection. Only Sansa has shown no real/implied aptitude but that it likely because of Lady's early demise. It would seem clear that it is in the blood of this Stark generation. Too much of a coincidence for it not to be in the blood.

As to the wolf pack, Nymeria is the key. She is its leader and her direct connection is with Arya, who is not going to be in Braavos forever. She clearly has not forgotten her Stark roots, perhaps through her warging ability and revenge list.

Барбоса;4820725 said:
I am not a fan of Dani at all. It is the characters around her that are interesting and when I see people claiming that she is the most well-rounded leader in the fight for the Iron Throne, it makes me want to vomit. She has made nothing but mistakes and is so wrapped up in her destiny and birthright that she is becoming more like a pre-Blackwater/Davos Stannis - unbending and unloved - than a potential benevolent occupant of the Iron Throne. There is hope for her though in the form of those who have just signed on with Ben Plumm...

Jon is somewhat similar as he has an excellent surrounding cast but he himself is still interesting given the choices he has been faced with. He is actually learning from them rather than continually making the same mistakes like Dani and Robb.

Along with Stannis and Jaime, Dani and Jon are the leaders in development.

Glad I am not the only one thinking Dany has regressed, she is the opposite side to Stannis' coin in many ways. Except while he's on a fantastic upswing, she's sliding downwards.

I think Jon, much like Stannis, is improving as he adapts to being in command, watching Stannis press the best claim in the series (something which I genuinely appreciate about his character now, as opposed to him being "just another King") and wrestle with being the mythical figure meant to save the world has made a fascinating character, whereas if he wasn't these things, he'd still just be a follower. Jon is going through something similar, I think.

In fact, when it comes to comparing characters, these three always crop up, because of their freakish similarities which manifest in different ways. 3 heads of the Dragon, anybody?

1958275_426073540872494_1331943817_n.png

An excellent episode for what it was - a prelude to carnage.

The set up of the Red Viper was fantastic. Tyrion's face when he was told that Oberyn Martell was in King's Landing instead of Prince Doran was priceless.

tumblr_n3nd2mRYGT1qzo7nmo1_500.jpg

Glad they gave Ice's last moments some screen time. The Red Viper's introduction was awesome too.

The hound's line 'If you keep opening your cunt mouth, I'm going to have to eat every chicken in this place'. was glorious

Also what are people's views on them changing Daario Naharis??
I know the original actor decided to leave but what are your first impressions.

The original actor was shite.

The new guy seems more earthly and seasoned. Maybe not the Daario of the books but a far more believable character. The purple haired ponce of the book would not have survived as long as he had in the cutthroat world of Essos.

The original guy had a smarminess that I liked but to be honest I can't remember anything else. The new guy while not as smarmy seems good enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back