Winning A Championship As The New Guy

The Brain

King Of The Ring
With the MLB trade deadline fast approaching the contenders are looking to strengthen their teams as they make that push to the postseason. A player could be buried well below .500 one day only to find himself on a first place team the next. Take Carlos Beltran for example. Just two days ago he was going nowhere with the New York Mets. Today he finds himself on the first place San Francisco Giants and will very likely be playing in October. For the sake of this thread let’s say the Giants go on to win the World Series. How will and how should Beltran feel about the accomplishment compared to his teammates?

When he reported to spring training back in February Beltran was with a different group of guys. Presumably he had comradery with his teammates as they worked together to try to achieve the same goal. Things haven’t worked out with the Mets and now Beltran finds himself in a new locker room with new teammates with whom he has not yet bonded. Beltran knew his days with the Mets were numbered but it seemed as if he could have just as easily ended up with the Braves or Phillies meaning he had no connection with the Giants. When celebrating a World Series win in October do you think Beltran should feel the same sense of pride as his teammates who have been together and worked themselves into first place before they were joined by him? I understand that as soon as he put on the new uniform the Giants were Beltran’s team. I just can’t help but think he wouldn’t have the same satisfaction in winning a championship for a team with which he only spent two months and a team he could very well leave when the season is over. After all, the Giants were already on their way without him. I don’t doubt that Beltran really wants that championship ring. I’m sure he will be thrilled to get it. I’m just not sure if we were somehow able to measure human satisfaction that Beltran’s would be as high as someone who’s been with the Giants since the beginning.

So what do you think? Does this make any sense or is getting the ring the only thing that matters? By the way, I’m only using Beltran as an example because of recent events. I’m well aware this happens in every sport every year and is as common as anything in sports today.

If I was Beltran I wouldn't have any problem celebrating the win whether I was on the Giants for two months or two weeks. I was good enough to be wanted by a contender and I contributed to the win, the titles as much mine as the players who were on the team all season. Sure, you don't have as much memories with these guys as your old team, but I was still a factor in helping become a champion.

So in short, I'd feel the same was if i was on the team my whole life or two months. Getting the title is the only thing that matters. To me, anyways.

I really don't see a reason for players to take any less joy in winning a championship or compare their time with their teamates and feel different. The way I see it, they need you to help them get to that point. If they didn't, they wouldn't have traded for you. For example, the Giants didn't hide the fact that they wanted Beltran. He took their charter to the All Star Game, Brian Wilson wooed him when reading their lineup. When a team trades for you, they are saying they need you. So if you happen to win a title, I say they should enjoy it just the same.

Hopefully I understood and responded correctly.

A new guy should feel every bit as worthy of that ring as everyone else. He was part of the team when the championship was won. Whether he was there for 3 months or 3 years is irrelevant to that fact.

On top of that, many times the new guy coming in is a huge reason why the championship is won. The Detroit Pistons back on 2003-2004 were a great example of that. They got Rasheed Wallace at the trade deadline and he was the final piece to the championship puzzle. There's a really good chance they don't win it all that year without Sheed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back