• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will WWE purchase TNA?

Will WWE be the company to buy TNA if/when it goes up for sale?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Creepy Old Man

Championship Contender
So Destination America is cancelling TNA. The company is losing money in a big way. There was speculation last year that TNA would be selling up, and that has now intensified tenfold.

Would WWE be likely to purchase the company? I doubt they'd be interested in any talent contracts (Jeff Hardy maybe), but the video library could be monetized. No, TNA was never massively popular, but WWE could hype up old TNA episodes and pay-per-views on the Network. You know, cards featuring guys well-known to WWE audiences, like Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Mick Foley, Booker T et al.

So, do you think WWE will be the one to scoop TNA, if it is indeed sold off?

I for one hope it does for the benefit of the Network and the fact that the company will start referencing TNA for the benefit of the superstars who have history there, even if the references are only minimal. It won't damage the business; ROH, GFW and NJPW, etc. are the wrestling alternatives, TNA's time has come to an end like many predicted at the start of 2010.

The WWE doesn't need any of the talent from TNA, but the library would be nice. I said this in the General Wrestling discussion about this very topic. The WWE doesn't benefit by extending contracts to the talent in TNA, but it DOES benefit from purchasing the video library and making the WWE Network into the Professional Wrestling Network.

I could see them buying their library so that they could release DVDs on Sting, Angle, Hardy, Samoa Joe etc. that includes TNA highlights. I don't see any reason why they would buy TNA as a wrestling company though.

NXT is the Network's brand show and is a far better product than TNA and if TNA folds than any wrestler they want would become a free agent and they could just snap them up.

It's always possibility I suppose, though I personally doubt it. I could be completely wrong, but I just don't really see it.

It's easy to see why anyone would think there'd be interest given that WWE bought WCW as it was going under but, as a brand, WCW was infinitely more valuable and well known than TNA has ever been. WCW, which was Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling before that, had a built in fanbase that went back decades, even generations really, though especially since Jim Crockett, Jr. assumed control over the promotion in 1973 after the death of his father. Another reason Vince bought WCW was because the company also had an extensive tape library because Crockett had begun doing in the mid 80s what Vince himself had been doing: buying out struggling promotions in order to own rights to everything associated with them, including the video libraries of said promotions. By the time Vince bought WCW, the WCW video library not only included all the WCW/Mid-Atlantic footage, but it also included the tape libraries of Georgia Championship Wrestling, Championship Wrestling from Florida, NWA Tri-State/Universal Wrestling Federation and Central States Wrestling. WCW not only had brand recognition, but WCW was also the owner of a wealth of wrestling footage from many of the companies that were thought of as cornerstones of the National Wrestling Alliance. Comparatively speaking, TNA doesn't have that brand recognition. Sure, wrestling fans know about it and have known about it for a very long time but they've never enjoyed the sort of exposure, buzz and audience size enjoyed by WCW even when the product was virtually unwatchable

As far as buying out the contracts of TNA talent, there's really nobody in TNA that WWE "needs" or seems to be interested in acquiring. After all, they had the opportunity not long ago to bring back Kurt Angle, but there obviously wasn't much interest on WWE's part; otherwise, they wouldn't have offered him a full time schedule because they know that he's older, his body is breaking down and he probably can't endure the strain of a full time schedule at this point in his life. In terms of name recognition, there's nobody currently on the TNA roster who brings more to the table than Kurt Angle so if WWE's not interested in him, there's even less chance of them being interested in everyone else.

I believe it to be a real possibility if for nothing else than to own the library. There are a couple of guys on the roster that could concievably be worth something on the WWE roster but then again most, if not all, of them are lower to midcard where WWE doesn't really need more bodies.

I hope they buy the video library because some of the early TNA stuff is really good.

The only way ANYTHING goes to the WWE is if the Carter's wish to sell it. What people need to understand is that TNA is a tax write-off to Panda Energy. Anything that Panda sells, the taxman will be knocking on the door. There is a much better chance of TNA just folding shop, and either Dixie and Serge enjoying the tape library for themselves, or selling copies online. As for selling them to VKM? I highly doubt it.

As for the talent: Unless WWE wants a truckload of part-timers in their company, the answer is no, they are not going to sign anyone from TNA. I can see Magnus, Bram and the Dudleys forming their own group in Florida. The Hardy's have OMEGA. The rest? Who knows? Many people forget that the 2 reasons most wrestlers give upon signing with TNA was 1) Schedule, and 2) flexibility. Most of these guys CANNOT handle the maniacal 300-day a year schedule that WWE offers. I can see people like Low Ki, Aries, The Wolves, Roode and Storm make a nice living working the Indies. EC3, Spud and MVP would probably join Jarrett. The Knockouts would be SOL.

Quite a few guys in TNA who could work good in WWE. If it ever happened, it would be good for if: WWE wanted to make up that second brand and do the draft thing again, this time instead of it being Raw and SD, it could be WWE against TNA, and thats a huge win win for fans and the Network. Also could help Vince redeem him self for all his wrong doing over the years, i/e the death of WCW and ECW, when he could of kept both brands alive. The horrid INvasion angle ect..

They could hire billy Corgin to mop the floors after and having the video library would be great along with Kurt angle bobby rude and his ex tag team partner

It's easy to see why anyone would think there'd be interest given that WWE bought WCW as it was going under but, as a brand, WCW was infinitely more valuable and well known than TNA has ever been.

Still, the process would be the same. If Destination America is really trying to sell TNA, WWE should sit back and let the drama play out, as they did with WCW.

Remember? Eric Bischoff claimed to have a potential buyer or two who were just dying to spend mega-bucks to buy the company.....and in the end, of course, no one did. Time-Warner was rumored to have other potential buyers too, but at the last, no deal could be made.

Only then did Vince McMahon swoop down to buy the library for a song. That's WCW.....with TNA, they wouldn't even need a song......just a short medley would probably do.

I don't think WWE will buy TNA, they just don't need to. The brand is permanently damaged now, and they already have NXT as their "smaller brand". If WWE wanted to buy anything, it would be the tape library- that's where the value is (even though that isn't as desirable as the WCW library was)

However, I think Vince (probably just out of curiosity) may see how much the TNA tape library will cost. As, if he owned that, he'd be able to put out all-inclusive DVD box sets on the likes of Sting, Jeff Hardy, Christian and Kurt Angle which would almost certainly prove popular, as well gaining alot of footage from current and ex-roster members who appeared in TNA.

This would increase the level of content on the network even more, and there would be people who'd want to see it- I know I'd watch some of it, especially the earlier stuff before Hogan/Bischoff came in. IF they did decide to make an offer for the tape library,it would likely be done right at the last minute when they could swoop in with a low offer and get it cheap.

If Destination America is really trying to sell TNA, WWE should sit back and let the drama play out, as they did with WCW.

Destination America airs TNA, it doesn't OWN TNA. We should at least know who currently owns the company if we're discussing the potential sale OF the company.

AOL just wanted to dump WCW. They hated wrestling and were just washing their hands of it.

Dixie Carter is a mark and we have no idea how she feels about selling to Vince.

Also , the TNA Brand would be worth a fraction of what WCW was worth to WWE. The WCW video library was a legit investment. I don't see the WWE trying to cash in on a "Rise and Fall of TNA" DVD. There's no bragging rights of "we bought our competition" because nobody considered TNA as real competition at any point.

And if the WWE was interested in any of TNA's wrestlers (the ones who WWE didn't already have at one point and get rid of), they would have signed them already.

Most likely, WWE will just buy the TNA video library and a few other trademarks. I don't think there are that many stars WWE would want that, and since TNA was never much competition for WWE, there definitely won't be a "TNA Invasion".

i doubt the Carter's sell TNA to WWE or that Vince will want to buy it. he may want the video library, but the wrestlers on the roster, he likely won't want many of them. some of them have been in WWE before and he let them go and unless he thinks he can make them stars, i doubt he gets many of them back, but i dont think the Carters will sell to him anyways. my guess is they will find another network, the question is will this be a better network? i thought Destination America was a bad fit for TNA.

Still, the process would be the same. If Destination America is really trying to sell TNA, WWE should sit back and let the drama play out, as they did with WCW.

Remember? Eric Bischoff claimed to have a potential buyer or two who were just dying to spend mega-bucks to buy the company.....and in the end, of course, no one did. Time-Warner was rumored to have other potential buyers too, but at the last, no deal could be made.

Only then did Vince McMahon swoop down to buy the library for a song. That's WCW.....with TNA, they wouldn't even need a song......just a short medley would probably do.

Sally, one cannot sell what one does not own. Now, if DA sold the broadcast right to WWE Network, that is a different story. But, they cannot sell TNA.

Video rights would definitely be good, particularly now that Samoa Joe is in the company, they could then hype up and sell his matches with Styles and Daniels and give them the praise they deserve, rather than pretending Joe is some new guy who needs to be trained

I've said this (on here) for years. WWE will likely buy TNA because they're obsessed with being the one-stop shop for anything american pro-wrestling related. They also have a bunch of alums who spent time with TNA. So it just allows WWE to further extend their catalog and gives them even more relevant content to add to their seemingly endless collection of pro wrestling history.

I think that when they do buy TNA, they should try to "keep it alive" if possible. It'll give them 3-4 separate brands to work with (RAW/Smackdown, NXT, TNA) if they have a place to house it. WWE should be the "official" wrestling promotion in the country while housing various different territories. This gives them more live content to provide on their streaming service. Also NXT and TNA are proof that separate territories can mostly stay in one location and still find success if the product is enjoyable.

Sally, one cannot sell what one does not own. Now, if DA sold the broadcast right to WWE Network, that is a different story. But, they cannot sell TNA.

Yes, you're right. The thing is, whomever the backer behind TNA is has apparently closed the cash box as far as pouring money in.....otherwise, how would workers go unpaid? If that's the case, it could be still another factor in DA's decision to cancel TNA's ticket.

So, while DA wouldn't be selling them, someone's gonna have to try.

They'll snap up that library. The Network needs new content and when TNA finally sinks people will look back on it more fondly than it deserves to be. I imagine a BluRay set could still be a money spinner. It'd would have Hogan and Savage's last matches, the majority of Kurt Angle's work and they could mock the promotion. WWE loves to do that.

I could see WWE offering Angle another contract, for a Wrestlemania payoff. Maybe give him a shot at HHH at Wrestlemania 32 and make him do the job for HHH before he gets pretty much permanently retired.

Would purchasing the TNA library really be beneficial to the E? It is not as if TNA was ever considered as competition. They're hardly regarded as groundbreaking in the industry. They have never been a breeding ground for future legends. They've never held a strong fan base. Plus reports state the "throw back" features on the Network are falling way short of expectations. What would be the benefit?

Some might argue in favor of documentaries but for how many talents would the footage help? Maybe Kurt Angle, Christian Cage, Sting and Xavier Woods. For the others associated with the E their time in TNA was nothing noteworthy. Seems like a waste.

In the end TNA may terminate wrestling operations but Dixie will hold onto her footage and pretend she is still relevant in the industry.

Yes, you're right. The thing is, whomever the backer behind TNA is has apparently closed the cash box as far as pouring money in.....otherwise, how would workers go unpaid? If that's the case, it could be still another factor in DA's decision to cancel TNA's ticket.

So, while DA wouldn't be selling them, someone's gonna have to try.

The backer behind TNA is Panda Energy, Dixie Carter's parents company. They are the ones who have kept TNA afloat all this time. If the reports are true it's a huge tax write off for them. But TNA is stuck in limbo without a TV deal.

Destination America is owned by the Discovery Channel, and they are the ones with the out to stop broadcasting TNA and any of it's shows. That's what looks like happened. As of the end of September, DA will stop broadcasting Impact, and some other TNA shows have already been pulled from their schedule.

It's a shame this has happened, but most have seen this coming for a long time now. If TNA can somehow cook up another TV deal, then they might be okay. They went from over a million viewers a week on Spike to less than half on DA. Prime reason being DA isn't seen in a lot of markets, Canada being one of them.

TNA does have fans out there, and they do watch the show, and attend live events. With all the TV stations available, it's hard to believe they can't find on TV company to broadcast their show for a couple of hours a week. Impact was one of DA most viewed show, so the viewers will follow it.

On topic now. The WWE might be interested in the video library just to have complete sets of Angle, Hardy, Sting and others. I don't think they are interested in any of the talent though. If they were, they would already have been signed with WWE. Jeff Jarrett is the one who should be snapping them up before they go to the indies.

Why should they? What properties does TNA have that WWE could possibly want to own? Any wrestlers that are under contract with TNA that WWE would want on their roster could be signed by WWE once TNA folds, and it's not like TNA is an immediate competitor of WWE the way WCW was to WWF over a decade ago.

No, buying TNA would be a gigantic waste of money for the WWE. If TNA is sold, it would take the buyers years and years to to make it profitable enough to compete with the WWE, and even then that's a long shot. Business-wise TNA could never compete with WWE when they were at their best, why should we expect them to even come close at their worst?

Why should they?

For the tape library, it's pretty much the only reason too, & for the right price I could see them doing just that... eventually. I don't think it happens anytime soon though, TNA is like a cockroach that just refuses to die, I have a feeling they somehow figure out how to move on from this.

For the tape library, it's pretty much the only reason too, & for the right price I could see them doing just that... eventually.

People keep bringing up WCW in comparison. They seem to forget that WCW isn't the only wrestling promotion WWE has purchased. Here's a copy and paste job from Wiki of all of the libraries WWE has purchased.

American Wrestling Association (1957-1991)[3]
Georgia Championship Wrestling (1944-1985)
Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)[8] (1994-2001) and its predecessor
Eastern Championship Wrestling (1992-1994)
Memphis Championship Wrestling (2000-2001) *
Ohio Valley Wrestling (1998-2008)*
Deep South Wrestling (2005-2007) *
Florida Championship Wrestling (2007-2012)*
Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1992-1995)[3]
Stampede Wrestling (1948-1989)[3]
Ultimate Pro Wrestling (1998-2007)
Global Wrestling Federation (1991-1994)
World Championship Wrestling (WCW)[7] (1988-2001)
Jim Crockett Promotions (1931-1988) which by the end included
Eastern States Championship Wrestling (1945-1973)
Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (1973-1988)
Central States Wrestling (c. early 1950s-1986)
Championship Wrestling from Florida (1961-1987)***
Championship Wrestling from Georgia (1984-1985)
NWA Tri-State/Mid-South Wrestling/UWF (1950s-1987)***
World Class Championship Wrestling (1966-1988**)[9]
Maple Leaf Wrestling (1930-1995)

I don't see why it is so far-fetched to believe that WWE would want to buy TNA as well. At least their video library. Though it probably won't be for a long time. You know, when the asking price is next to nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back