Will Smith

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
[YOUTUBE]59uAseJFh7M[/YOUTUBE]​

Directed by David Ayer and written by Max Landis, the movie is an R-rated grounded cop procedural that is set in a world populated not only with humans but also fantastical, mythical creatures. The story follows a human cop (Smith) who is forced to work with an Orc (Edgerton) to find a weapon everyone is prepared to kill for. Noomi Repace, Edgar Ramírez, Ike Barinholtz and Kenneth Choi also co-star.

That's the trailer for Will Smith's new movie Bright..........and it's set for a release in December on Netflix. Netflix continues to deliver critically acclaimed content, but what happened to Will Smith?

You always have to take this stuff with a handful of salt, but I read through one of those click-baity "recommended for you" articles about why Hollywood wants nothing to do with Will Smith anymore at the bottom of a movie news website. They touched on everything from Smith not being a powerhouse box office draw anymore, having an unjustifiable asking price for his roles, Will and Jada's ties to Scientology, and Jaden Smith's bizarre behavior rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.

If we're talking about big box office draws, the quality of Denzel Washington's films are hit and miss, but he always generates buzz. You can't say the same thing about Smith anymore, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. The Bad Boys sequels are in limbo (part 3 was pushed back to a release on November 9, 2018 , and the 2019 release date for part 4 was scrapped altogether), and now Smith is the lead in a film that looks like an ordinary and forgettable post-apocalyptic sci-fi/action thriller.

His aura has faded over years. But he proved in "Suicide Squad" that he can still deliver as he and Margot where only shinning points of that movie. If we are talking about drawing he can still manage to return investment from movie budget. But as I said, his aura faded a bit so now that is all he does. Its not Will Smith that manages to triple your money just by appearing.

He's made some poor decisions and people aren't as interested in him like they used to be. I believe his first out and out bad movie was After Earth. Since then, though, he's proven that he is still one hell of an actor with films like Concussion which generated award buzz for him and as was mentioned above Suicide Squad in which he was one of the only good things in that movie. Smith can still act and IMO he's still one of the funniest people I've ever seen. I just think that he's past his prime and people just inevitably move on.

I believe his first out and out bad movie was After Earth.

Wild Wild West.

I think Smith is certainly past his prime, but I believe he's still going to wow some audiences at least once or twice more in his career. He's built up a strong enough reputation, at least with me, that I have a hard time believing he's going to take a Val Kilmer like fall from grace.

I dont think anything happened to Will Smith that is so abnormal. You can point to things like his annoying kids, his wife, and some of his movie choices but in the end I just think he overperformed for a long time and just ran out of steam naturally. It happens to everyone at some point. Even Cruise, Pitt, Stallone, and Schwartzenegger had shelf lives. Bradley Cooper is far from flawless, Chris Pratt will end some day, and The Rock has huge box offices next to his name but he's barely carrying any of "his" top movies. Smith mostly just ran out of gas.

It kind of started with Hancock. It made a lot of money but you could feel the exhaustion people were having with him. Since then he has had some hits and misses but nothing that put him where he was ten years ago. That being said, I think the guy is still powerful and successful. If I had to give him advice it would be to make a couple fun songs and show people how thankful you are for their support. Maybe see if you get funding for a solo Dead "I got kids" Shot film that does not have Margot Robbie anywhere near.

But overall the guy is doing just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back