The Problems with Will Smith and why he'll never be a great actor

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
So I was browsing around the net looking for movie news as usual, and I came across an interesting piece about Will Smith turning down the lead in Django Unchained. Some older quotes from Smith and Tarantino:

Smith

"I came really close, it was one of the most amazing screenplays I had ever ever seen. I was in the middle of 'Men In Black 3' and [Tarantino] was ready to go, and I just couldn't sit with him and get through the issues, so I didn't want to hold him up. That thing's going to be ridiculous. It is a genius screenplay."
Tarantino

We spent quite a few hours together over a weekend when he was in New York doing MEN IN BLACK III... I think half the process was an excuse for us to hang out and spend time with one another. It just wasn’t 100 percent right, and we didn’t have time to try to make it that way.”

More recent comments from Will Smith:

“Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!

“I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!’”

^^^^^^^
Smith is referring to Christoph Waltz's Dr. King Schultz in both comments.

Smith's closing thoughts:

“I thought it was brilliant. Just not for me.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/03/25/will-smith-django-unchained/ (this link is for the more recent comments)

Am I the only one, who smells the bullshit coming from Smith's comments here?

So he praises Tarantino's screenplay for Django as "genius," but then he turns around and says "it's not for me." And on top of that, he complains about Django not receiving enough focus, and not wanting to play second fiddle to Waltz? It just screams ego problems. Funny how Smith changes his tune after Django receives critical praise, two Oscars, and has a successful run at the box office.

But I sense bigger problems with Smith's comments. I sincerely believe Smith turned down the role, because it was too controversial for his taste. Smith and his wife Jada go out of their way to protect and maintain the goody, squeaky clean image. In his movies, Smith always has to be the good guy or hero, and (or) the unquestioned star of the film. Ali was the closest Smith ever came to doing something edgy. Hancock could've given Smith another chance to do something different, but the inevitable face turn ruined that character.

For YEARS Denzel Washington was known as a hero, or he was the protagonist, who you wanted to root for. But as Alonzo in Training Day, he was a nasty backstabbing asshole, and look what happened. DiCaprio was evil in Django, and he delivered a brilliant performance as Calvin Candie.

DiCaprio and Denzel took chances. Smith never takes chances, and he refuses to step outside of his comfort zone. His films will continue to draw large crowds and make shit loads of money, because Smith is a powerhouse box office draw. There's no denying it. But he won't have a spot on the Mt. Rushmore of all-time greats, and if he stays on the comfort zone path, he'll never win the big one.

I had a conversation with my best friend once about Smith and something similar to this. He doesn't take chances, at least not anymore. I think he has gone on record as saying his agent has a team that studies box office trends and then Smith accepts roles accordingly. That is why he has never really been in a bad movie, but why I think he will never be mentioned in the upper echelon of actors. I can't criticize him much because the guy makes bank, but it does hold him back as far as being considered an all time great.

You say "never" as if he can't rectify this with one breathtaking performance. Anybody with eyes and/or ears can tell he's a talented actor. If he wants to be safe and make money, more power to him. Most Oscar winners aren't pulling down Will Smith money.

This reminds me of the "Ricky The HEEL Steamboat" thread, or whatever it was called. So what if Will Smith and Ricky Steamboat are one-note babyfaces? They're still amongst the best in the world at what they do. Will Smith has carried movies that would be SyFy original movies if he weren't in them. Was it Shakespeare? Was it Tarantino? No, but it demonstrates a level of natural charisma plus learned skill that is a rare and profitable combination.

He will undoubtedly go down as an all-time great, if not in talent, then in terms of success. People used to knock Tom Hanks for playing nice guys, too. Smith is an award winning rapper, award winning television and film actor, producer, father of a singer daughter and actor son. I have no doubt that one day he'll take just the kind of role you're talking about, and he'll knock it out of the park.

It's better to be the co-lead and be the title character in a film like Django than be the lead and title character in a film like Hancock, Will!

When he dropped out I just assumed it was because the material was too uncomfortable for him. Then when DiCaprio came on board, who's now a bigger star than Will Smith and who plays somebody utterly deplorable, I just thought Will Smith was a bit of a pussy. If he didn't want to do it he should just say he doesn't want to. Tell the media you appreciated how well written it was but concede that it is just too controversial for you. Nobody would actually care.

He saves the girl, and kills like, one hundred fucking people at once in the last scene :lmao: How the fuck is that not "the lead" ?? Get the FUCK out of here, man. If anything, nonsense like this makes it only furthermore abundantly clear that he just couldnt hang in there with the material.

Some of this shit sounds like the stuff DJ Jazzy Jeff and Alfonso Ribiero spout off about after a few too many white wine spritzers.

In Hollywood Will Smith is a great actor and has the fewest problems of any actor working (or not working) today. He's the last remaining bankable movie star. He the John Cena of Hollywood but more accomplished, more settled and actually black. If you told me after growing up on Cruise, Ford, Schwartzenegger, and Stallone that a black child rapper would be the last bankable movie star I would have said, "Wow! He must be GREAT!"

And Smith is great. He has taken on challenging roles and succeeded. He may have been the lead and a hero in Pursuit of Happyness, but he played a complete dick and did it well. He was terrific in Seven Pounds even if it wasn't a box office smash he played a very complex character who left you emotionally challenged about the story and his character.

He may not have Denzel's accolades but he has accomplished so much more and is still extremely young. And due to his race he is always going to be initially compared to Denzel. Why doesn't DiCaprio (who I think is waaaay overrated) ever get compared to Denzel?

Smith may be full of shit, he is definitely not precise in his reasoning for turning down the role but he does say it wasn't for him. Interpret that however you like, the guy is sitting on a stack of money and power. So much to the point he has found success for his crap kids just like Cena got the Bellas their jobs back. That in itself is a huge accomplishment for a performer and a sign that they're pretty great and they don't have too many problems.

I haven't seen Django, so I can't comment on it. However, I know Quentin Tarantino movies and they're often edgy, controversial and over the top. Not to mention very, very rated R.

One thing I do know about Will Smith, and have since the mid 90's, he's always prided himself on being a role model. You're talking about a man who never even said a swear word in his albums. He rarely swears in his movies even. His only rated R movies he's done are Bad Boys 1 and 2, Enemy of the State, and Ali (I don't think I missed any...). And I have no problem believing that could very well have been his motivation. Furthermore, if that's true, I have no problem with it. Are you really going to not respect someone who prefers to be a role model?

Now, if that is remotely close to the truth, why wouldn't he just say it? Beats me. Maybe he just didn't want to limit potential future offers... :shrug:

You say "never" as if he can't rectify this with one breathtaking performance. Anybody with eyes and/or ears can tell he's a talented actor. If he wants to be safe and make money, more power to him. Most Oscar winners aren't pulling down Will Smith money.

Not denying his talent, but if he's going to stick to a "if aint broke don't fix it" pattern, then what can you really expect from the guy? Smith has the talent to shatter any glass ceiling put above him, but he makes a choice to play it safe. So frustrating.

This reminds me of the "Ricky The HEEL Steamboat" thread, or whatever it was called. So what if Will Smith and Ricky Steamboat are one-note babyfaces? They're still amongst the best in the world at what they do.

Again, not denying Smith's status as a top guy. But when it comes to talent and versatility, I'll take Daniel Day Lewis, Joaquin Phoenix, Ryan Gosling, or Michael Shannon over Smith any day.

Will Smith has carried movies that would be SyFy original movies if he weren't in them. Was it Shakespeare? Was it Tarantino? No, but it demonstrates a level of natural charisma plus learned skill that is a rare and profitable combination.

Whoa! Hold on there a minute, Dr. Just gonna throw a few examples out there: Hancock had Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman. I, Robot could've starred any random Hollywood action drone, and Smith was good in I Am Legend, but I could easily picture someone like Joseph Gordon-Levitt holding his own in that role. And none of those films had SyFy channel-like production values (trust me I know, because I watch enough shitty SyFy channel movies. There's one about Red Riding Hooding being a werewolf hunter.....fucking awful)

He will undoubtedly go down as an all-time great, if not in talent, then in terms of success.

Box office numbers shouldn't be a measuring stick for a legendary career. If we use box office numbers to determine success, then Michael Bay deserves a lifetime achievement award for directing.

People used to knock Tom Hanks for playing nice guys, too.

And he eventually stepped outside of his comfort zone.

Smith is an award winning rapper, award winning television and film actor, producer, father of a singer daughter and actor son.

You and I both know his kids wouldn't be where there are right now without their father backing them, and pulling strings. Not knocking him as father, because he's in the perfect position to help his kids achieve their dreams, and he's doing it. But if Will Smith is your dad, some big doors are going to open for you no matter what, and it's undeniable fact.

I have no doubt that one day he'll take just the kind of role you're talking about, and he'll knock it out of the park.

I WANT it to happen so badly, but it's highly unlikely, because Smith is just making too much money by sticking to his formula.

I haven't seen Django, so I can't comment on it. However, I know Quentin Tarantino movies and they're often edgy, controversial and over the top. Not to mention very, very rated R.

One thing I do know about Will Smith, and have since the mid 90's, he's always prided himself on being a role model. You're talking about a man who never even said a swear word in his albums. He rarely swears in his movies even. His only rated R movies he's done are Bad Boys 1 and 2, Enemy of the State, and Ali (I don't think I missed any...). And I have no problem believing that could very well have been his motivation. Furthermore, if that's true, I have no problem with it. Are you really going to not respect someone who prefers to be a role model?

He COMPLETELY backtracked on his comments for Django. You knew what the movie was going to be about. You read the screenplay and called Tarantino a genius for it....then the movie comes out, becomes a success, and you do a complete 180? No man. That just reeks of being a total phony.

John, I think you're focusing too much on the Django situation. Six Degrees of Separation, Enemy of the State, Ali, The Pursuit of Happiness, and Six Pounds are all examples of Smith going outside of his usual Men In Black/I am Legend -type box. They're not "risky," but they're not soft roles either.

And those movies you listed had big production values in part because they knew they'd recoup their losses with Will as the star. JGL was still the weird teenager on 3rd Rock when Will was making Wild Wild West more bearable than it had any right to be. I was being a tad hyperbolic, but Smith does routinely carry bad movies to decency.

He COMPLETELY backtracked on his comments for Django. You knew what the movie was going to be about. You read the screenplay and called Tarantino a genius for it....then the movie comes out, becomes a success, and you do a complete 180? No man. That just reeks of being a total phony.

I guess I see what you're saying. I just don't look at it as strongly as you do. Ego maybe, but the way he came off made him look like he made a bad call, which happens all the time in Hollywood. So it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Plus, he's one of the few who I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to when it came to ego, simply because he's always come off as a down to Earth, professional guy. I've never heard anything bad about him, but I haven't done any research either...

Hm, why do I think that they couldnt agree because of money or other terms and that deal went off because of that? Story like this is just to contadictory...

Btw, Smith is a great actor and there is nothing wrong with turning down the role. Katy Holmes turned down "Buffy", Mel Gibson turned down "Gladiator", freaking Jack Nicholson turned down to be in "The Godfather"(none other role than Michael Corleone), Travolta turned down "Forest Gump", Redford turn down "Graduate" and Frediie Prince "Spiderman". Happens all the time and its not the end of the world. Other actors get the part and often do such great job that you couldnt imagine any other in that role. Dont like "Django" that much, but Fox did good job with that role so everything is just fine...

Btw Smith also turned down one other role. He was suppose to be Neo in "Matrix" in order to do "Wild Wild West" :D

He saves the girl, and kills like, one hundred fucking people at once in the last scene :lmao: How the fuck is that not "the lead" ?? Get the FUCK out of here, man. If anything, nonsense like this makes it only furthermore abundantly clear that he just couldnt hang in there with the material.

I can kinda see the point Smith is getting at. Django is obviously the titular character of the piece who the story is centred on, but Schultz was a massive driving force for most of the story and was actually interesting to watch too. Django himself I found to be quite a flat character but whether or not Smith could have salvaged that is a big mystery. It just seemed that Tarantino had much more fun writing the character of Schultz (and even Candie and Stephen) than Django who was just so... basic?

A comparison I keep thinking of is Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. Sure, Luke has all the Force/incest/daddy-mentor shit going on, but Han is much more enjoyable to watch and root for. There's maybe another comparison that fits better but I just thought of a main character in a film who is easily overshadowed by a supposed supporting character and that was the first one that came to mind.

I agree with ^^^ post. Django is the name of the film, but the more dialogue- compelling and interesting - goes to Waltz' character and then DiCaprio. I mean Foxx does a good job, and it's not a bad role (with what he was given) but he's not the most interesting part of the film.

The other issue is Will Smith is a big enough star, that he can turn down roles that don't suit him without worrying where his next film role is coming, I'm not sure if it's the same for Foxx. Yes, he did win an Oscar but a number of performers have difficulty finding roles after winning an Oscar. Black actors, who've won (or have been nominated), have had difficulties finding quality roles, or any roles. If Tarratino is offering a role to you, things aren't too bad for you.

Will takes some chances, not a lot but some. His had great success, and some flops,Wild Wild West, Hancock. He really missed out on the Matrix, but with that, would we had Carrie Anne Moss as his female lead if he accepted the role ? All actors are different, some take chances, others don't. Some actors are content just to keep it simple, always the hero, some will take more chances. Some audiences won't accept an actor as a villain, or troubled people. Some performers might not have the range. John Wayne was often the hero in his films, Clint Eastwood pretty similar in his roles, so you know it's not too bad to be focused on one type of character.

John, I think you're focusing too much on the Django situation. Six Degrees of Separation, Enemy of the State, Ali, The Pursuit of Happiness, and Six Pounds are all examples of Smith going outside of his usual Men In Black/I am Legend -type box. They're not "risky," but they're not soft roles either.

And those movies you listed had big production values in part because they knew they'd recoup their losses with Will as the star. JGL was still the weird teenager on 3rd Rock when Will was making Wild Wild West more bearable than it had any right to be. I was being a tad hyperbolic, but Smith does routinely carry bad movies to decency.

Your point stands with Six Degrees of Separation and somewhat with The Pursuit of Happyness (if memory serves me correctly, he wanted to do the film and they chose an Italian director who wouldn't coddle him, thus he gets half a point there for somewhat going out of his comfort zone), but I don't think the point stands with the rest of the films. Enemy of the State was a Tony Scott film, Ali was a freakin' gimme given that it was about one of the most iconic sports figures of all time and was directed by Michael Mann, and Six Pounds was directed by the same guy who made The Pursuit of Happyness (that is to say, Will Smith wouldn't have gone near this film had he not worked with the director beforehand and, given Six Pounds's box office performance, I doubt Smith ever works with this man again).

Unfortunately for Smith, his upcoming films only give more weight to Mitch's claims. Furthermore, while I commend Smith for trying to support his kids' entertainment careers, I still think he's going to ridiculous lengths to make sure his marginally talented son has a career in film.

TO say the Will Smith doesn't take risks is laughable, he played a Gay Con Man in Six Degrees, he play Ali, in Ali, and after wathcing Al, Ali comes across as kinda a jerk. He pulled it off really well too.

Now could I see Smith in a Tarrantino movie? No, and no it;s not because he couldn't do it, I think he could.

Smith knows what his bread and butter is, it's the summer spectacle, it's the Independence Days, and the like, plus the movie public will be hard pressed to accept Will Smith playing an edgy role, which is why he would never do well as a victim.

Consider Tom Hanks, one of his most underrated movies ever was Road To Perdition, he was in essence a hitman and gangster, granted he was conflicted but the movie public could not accept Hanks doing the things he did in the moive.

Same can be said with Tom Cruise, Collateral. Cruise plays a hit man, whose sole purpose is to kill people. It was a critical success but commerical failure, why? People cant accept Cruise as a bad guy.

Smith is the penultamante good guy, he knows what he will succeed in, this AFter Earth thing looks goofy though.

Same can be said with Tom Cruise, Collateral. Cruise plays a hit man, whose sole purpose is to kill people. It was a critical success but commerical failure, why? People cant accept Cruise as a bad guy.

The budget for Collateral was like 60 million and it made over 200 million worldwide. It also opened at #1 in the box office that weekend.

I agree with John Connor's point about Will Smith. Yes, he has a formula for success and yes, he has made some good movies, but his refusal to get out of his comfort zone is frustrating because he is a great actor who can be one of the greatest ever.

I would love it if Smith took a chance and worked with Fincher or wanted to work with Nolan on a mind bending movie.

You can't say he don't take chances the gay role was a BIG chance to play.

He's a movie star that's what he wants to be.

He's an ok actor The best rapper turned actor

Some of this shit sounds like the stuff DJ Jazzy Jeff and Alfonso Ribiero spout off about after a few too many white wine spritzers.

In Hollywood Will Smith is a great actor and has the fewest problems of any actor working (or not working) today. He's the last remaining bankable movie star. He the John Cena of Hollywood but more accomplished, more settled and actually black. If you told me after growing up on Cruise, Ford, Schwartzenegger, and Stallone that a black child rapper would be the last bankable movie star I would have said, "Wow! He must be GREAT!"

And Smith is great. He has taken on challenging roles and succeeded. He may have been the lead and a hero in Pursuit of Happyness, but he played a complete dick and did it well. He was terrific in Seven Pounds even if it wasn't a box office smash he played a very complex character who left you emotionally challenged about the story and his character.

He may not have Denzel's accolades but he has accomplished so much more and is still extremely young. And due to his race he is always going to be initially compared to Denzel. Why doesn't DiCaprio (who I think is waaaay overrated) ever get compared to Denzel?

Smith may be full of shit, he is definitely not precise in his reasoning for turning down the role but he does say it wasn't for him. Interpret that however you like, the guy is sitting on a stack of money and power. So much to the point he has found success for his crap kids just like Cena got the Bellas their jobs back. That in itself is a huge accomplishment for a performer and a sign that they're pretty great and they don't have too many problems.

Based on the box office numbers for After Earth I'd say maybe I was a little too positive about Smth's abilities in Hollywood than I thought. The backlash seems to be stronger than I thought. Although it is understandable that fans are a burnt out on his "crap kids" and end of the world movies.

Regardless, I will never be ashamed to git jiggy wit it.

From the trailers, I didn't manage to get a grasp of the environmental message they were going for. Earth seems to have become inhospitable to human life because of all the pollution and whatnot, so Will and Jr go back to fight it until it lets them back?

I think Will's best stuff now is when he appears on the Graham Norton Show.

I don't know much about Hollywood (in fact in my opinion it is all garbage and any awards show ever is just ridiculous by definition).

And heck, I don't even believe in "great actors"; different people have different criteria for what "great acting" is.

That being said, this dude made me laugh a bunch of times during Fresh Prince, so I wouldn't hesitate to watch any movie with him in it just because he was in it.

... I'd probably just hesitate because most movies these days are ripoffs, uninspired or just plain stupid (ALL just my opinion, again).

After Earth was pure dogshit, IMO.

I saw it last night, and the damn thing almost put me to sleep about three times (not exaggerating at all). The choppy pacing, which bounced back and forth between boring as shit, and some exciting chase scenes drove me nuts, and leaving Will inside the spaceship for the VAST majority of the movie was a monumental mistake in my eyes. Jaden is forced to carry the movie, because he's the primary protagonist. I'll give the kid credit for a strong effort, but he's not ready to carry a film by himself just yet, not by a longshot. His father on the other hand? I have no doubts in my mind Will would've done a phenomenal job, if his character received the bulk of the focus, no doubts at all.

The box office flop doesn't surprise me, because Fast & Furious 6 is still hot, and truth be told, it's a better movie. After Earth is going to fall deeper in the box office standings, because The Internship hits this Friday, AND you have Man Of Steel and This Is The End debuting next week.

Dowds already touched on it, and he's right. The trailers were pretty bad, and they didn't do a good job of selling the movie at all. You saw glimpses of a mediocre sci-fi/action (using that word loosely, very loosely) adventure, and the final product was somehow worse. Also, the trailers put too much focus on Jaden. Again, he gave a good admirable effort, but he's got a long way to go before he can step into his father's shoes.

On a side note, this is probably the nail in the coffin for M. Night Shyamalan's directing career. I seriously believe After Earth was his last real shot at redemption, and Shyamalan hinting at Unbreakable 2 recently is just sad.

Will Smith is more interested in being a star than an actor, that's basically what this all comes down to. He'd rather make money and star in big films than take interesting, challenging roles in smaller films. The guy is also clearly an egomaniac dumbass if he thinks he knows better than Tarantino. He's basically what The Rock will be in 10 years, if he still has a career left by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back