Fading Stars: Will Smith & Johnny Depp

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
It's hard to think about the last quality film from Depp and Smith. If we're talking about Depp, I'll go with Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, and I'll go with The Pursuit Of Happyness and I Am Legend.

I'm a fan of Depp, but he's stuck in a downward spiral for terrible films and box office flops. And Will Smith is really hit and miss now a days, and for the time being, he's in limbo with After Earth as his most recent film.

If we're talking about a pick for who's in a deeper hole, Depp is a popular pick on the surface. Too many flops, he was seemingly bored and uninterested in Transcendence, and at this point in his career, it's safe to say he needs another unnecessary Pirates Of The Caribbean sequel to stay relevant. Although, to be fair, The Lone Ranger could've been something. Shave 20 or 30 minutes off of the runtime, and we're talking about one of the best summer blockbusters in 2013.

Also, Depp needs to take a little break from any collaborations with Tim Burton for a while. You can feel the buzz and buy into the hype, when DiCaprio and Scorsese team up for another film. With Depp and Burton, you know you'll see an eccentric, dark, whacky, and over the top film, but the spark for both men as a director/actor duo? It's not there.

With all that said, Will Smith is not in the clear. Why? Sure, Smith had I Am Legend in 2007, and his mesmerizing and emotional performance carried that film, but After Earth put a big dent in Smith's aura as an invincible box office draw (proof- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=1000ae.htm), and the obvious case of nepotism rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. If Jaden had the acting chops to hold his own in the leading role, you wouldn't hear too many complaints, but that's not the case.

Before that, Hancock was mediocre at best, Seven Pounds was too corny and overly dramatic, and Men In Black III is a forgettable sequel. Smith's on a slippery slope, so he needs another hit (going by IMDB, his next film is a 2015 romantic comedy named "Focus") with the critics and at the box office to stay on the right track.

Smith is in a better position to deliver another hit, because you can still rely on him to deliver a good or great performance. When you consider all of his shit films over the years, it's getting to the point, where Depp is going to need a miracle to climb out of his hole. To add to that, you get the feeling Depp is uninterested or bored in his roles now a days (The Tourist, Transcendence, etc.), or he's too predictable. You know, the over the top zany and batshit crazy performances.

Any thoughts on the current positions for Smith and Depp's careers? Are you still a fan? Who's in a better position for a quicker turnaround?

Smith and Depp have definitely been on the decline in terms of quality movies they've been putting out, for me the last movies I really enjoyed from the two would be Hitch for Smith and Public Enemies for Depp. However even though they've been putting out mediocre to even bad movies since I don't really think it's hurt either of their careers. They are both so incredibly huge in Hollywood and are both so adored by the majority of the movie going public the only thing that could legitimately hurt their careers and standing is an absolute atrocity of a film.

I've never been a huge fan of either men but I've generally preferred Smith and the movies he takes. I loved Will on Fresh Prince and enjoyed movies like I Robot, Shark Tale, Wild Wild West and Bad Boys. He has such a larger than life personality and a great look, I think that's why (on top of his fame from those bigger movies) his place in Hollywood will be hard pressed to falter.

Depp on the other hand is not one of my favorite actors, don't get me wrong I've enjoyed him in a few roles but I don't quite understand his obsessive fan following. But perhaps that's just because he plays well in those Tim Burton type movies that I rarely can get into, but that's his style and I respect it. I've enjoyed him in such films as Pirates Of The Caribbean(the first 3), 21 Jump Street, Nightmare On Elm Street, and Public Enemies.

Based off what I've said I would be more inclined to say that Smith is closer to a turn around, but I think the best thing he can do is stop adding on to franchises that don't need adding to. Men in Black 1 and two were really good, there was no need for a third but they made it and it was not very good. Same thing now with Bad Boys 3, the first two were awesome but we just do not need a third, to that point if Depp does another Pirates movie I'll throw up. These last few movies of theirs have been forgettable but their star power and talent is so great that all either of them needs is another great script and they're back on track.

The Shape said:
Any thoughts on the current positions for Smith and Depp's careers?

Yeah, they're both in the shit right now, and it's unfortunate. It's been quite some time since I've enjoyed a film featuring either of them.

My favorite most-recent Smith film would also be I Am Legend. I didn't even bother watching After Earth; the previews were sub-par at best.

My favorite most recent Depp film would be Finding Neverland. Yeah, that movie is 10 years old. I think Edward Scissorhands is the high mark for the Depp/Burton connection and I've never had much desire to watch another pairing of the duo since then. I know they've had some hits, so maybe I'm just more turned off by Helena Bonham-Carter being in most of Burton's films.

For me, I haven't seen a great movie from either actor for over five years.

The Shape said:
Are you still a fan?

Of course. Being an old fogey in these forums (relatively speaking), I still picture Glen from A Nightmare on Elm Street and Will from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when I see these guys. Their solid past performances in other films will always have me cemented as a fan.

The Shape said:
Who's in a better position for a quicker turnaround?

I think Depp is better placed. He needs to do another drama or romantic comedy. I thought he shined in Finding Neverland, and check out his performance, as well as Leo Dicaprio's, in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?. Great stuff. Depp has proven that he has a wide range as an actor, and I'd like to see him in more small-scale, intimate films for a while.

Smith can also stage a comeback, but he needs to get away from the father-son gimmick. It worked with The Pursuit of Happyness, but, according to what I've read, failed spectacularly with After Earth.

At this point in their careers, both actors are financially secure and I wished they would spend less time in high-budget flicks and devote more time to smaller films with a little more heart and soul to them.

The more I think about Depp, I'd like to add this.

For me, he seems to be a guy who knows he has A-List looks and talent, yet shuns it. He stars in quirky, unglamorous roles, and this earns him even more acclaim from viewers. Yet, after a point, his consistent portrayal of these types of roles becomes mundane and he ceases to be original. I think more critical viewers have become tired of this shtick and want him to do something different. You can't be a rebel if you keep doing the same thing.

Yet, after a point, his consistent portrayal of these types of roles becomes mundane and he ceases to be original. I think more critical viewers have become tired of this shtick and want him to do something different. You can't be a rebel if you keep doing the same thing.

That's a big problem with Depp. He's up and down, but Will Smith delivers variety. A famous boxer, a superhero with an alcohol problem, the last man on earth, and the movie itself was complete shit, but Smith played an IRS agent, who gave away his organs to help other people in Seven Pounds.

At this point in his career, it's safe to say Depp has become a caricature of himself. He relies on the same nutty and eccentric shtick, and it's getting to a point, where people are tired of it (you can see the proof with the flops). As far as the Pirates films go, Jack Sparrow is the main attraction/distraction, because he's surrounded by a convoluted story with an ambiguous ending 99% of the time. His routine fits in Tim Burton's world, but Depp is getting to a point, where he needs to change things up.

It's frustrating. He has the ability to step outside of his comfort zone, but he settles for another nutjob performance. That, or he's just uninterested, bored, or he phones it in halfway through the movie now a days (i.e Transcendence).

Any thoughts on the current positions for Smith and Depp's careers?

Depp is surely close to his retirement now, right? I seem to recall reading about Depp deciding to wind up his acting career in the next few years. It would be good to see him have another couple of solid performances as I've preferred his more serious turns than the tongue-in-cheek ones; Public Enemies was such a restrained performance but much like Assassination of Jesse James, it made the main character that much more intriguing.

Smith is the flip-side of the restrained/tongue-in-cheek coin. His charisma shines through when he's let off the reins a little bit and if one of his next roles is more care-free then I'll likely go and see it.

Are you still a fan?

Like De Niro and Pacino, whose recent films have been pretty dire by all accounts, their better roles in the past are what I like to remember them for and whatever they do in the present doesn't detract from their previous films. Both Depp and Smith have the ability to deliver 1 or 2 more great performances so I'll look forward to catching them when they happen.

Who's in a better position for a quicker turnaround?

Smith, by a distance.

After Earth bombed hard but his promotional appearances on chat shows in the UK garnered a lot of positive attention because of his undeniable charisma. Like I said, once he gets a role where he can be more of a wise-ass, I have no doubt it will do well. He has done some serious stuff and while there isn't anything wrong with an actor showing their range, there isn't anything drastically wrong with an actor playing to type if they are good at it and loved for it.

Depp is surely close to his retirement now, right? I seem to recall reading about Depp deciding to wind up his acting career in the next few years.

I completely forgot about this. It happened sometime last year, when Depp broke his silence about retirement during the promotional tour for The Lone Ranger. I think I made a thread about in here somewhere, but here's the article, if you're interested:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...rom-acting-probably-not-too-far-away-20130729

Contemplating retirement could be the reason for Depp's going through motions performances. Maybe he's at a stage in his career, where doesn't care anymore, and he's just waiting on the next Pirates Of The Caribbean film.

Also, just throwing this out there as a conspiracy theory, but is there a chance Jack Sparrow and Pirates Of The Caribbean ruined Depp's career? Maybe a lack of motivation after all the big paychecks? Allegedly, rumors suggest Depp will take home $95 million for the new Pirates film, and if that's not true, The Sun reports Depp will receive a portion of the movie's gross returns. Either way, Depp will take home another boat load of money, when it's all said and done, because the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise is a proven cash cow.

The Shape said:
is there a chance Jack Sparrow and Pirates Of The Caribbean ruined Depp's career? Maybe a lack of motivation after all the big paychecks?

That's a decent theory. Depp's probably made more with the Pirates films than most of his other films combined, and if he gets a portion of the next installment's gross returns, that's some serious money. Apathy could indeed play a part. Plus, he's probably inherited that great French work ethic by now :rolleyes:

I personally think it's just a matter of their roles. Will Smith, since leaving Fresh Prince, has really been in more action movies than any other. Sure he was in Hitch and Pursuit of Happiness [great movies, btw] along with others, but for that vast majority he's been in action movies. And I mean, it's not to the point of a Keifer Southerland or anything, but it's getting there. Slowly but surely. I think that if he can go into a comedy stretch for a while and get people going that way, then he can bounce back.

As for Johnny, I think he needs to get as far away from Tim Burton as possible. It's becoming a headache now, especially since all Tim Burton movies seem to be ******ed remakes of classic movies. I think he should try and pursue a few action movies with Michael Bay or someone that can give us Johnny in a new view. However, if he's close to retirement then I say settle down and do a sitcom or something.

While we're on the topic of fading stars, I'd like to throw in a lot of the Happy Madison actors. Kevin James, Adam Sandler, and Rob Schneider are all becoming annoying now... and other than Grown Ups movies, I don't see a reason to watch a lot of their movies.

The S#cial Sector said:
I think he should try and pursue a few action movies with Michael Bay or someone that can give us Johnny in a new view.

That's not a bad idea. I don't think he's ever portrayed a badass, Bruce Willis-type character. I mentioned previously that his range as an actor is significant. He could pull it off.

The S#cial Sector said:
As for Johnny, I think he needs to get as far away from Tim Burton as possible.

I couldn't agree more. I have ZERO interest in seeing another pairing of the two.

In terms of commercial success, Will Smith still seems to pack quite a punch. Since 2007, Smith has starred in I Am Legend, Hancock, Seven Pounds, Men In Black III and After Earth. They've made a combined total of roughly $2.250 billion worldwide. Even though some of them, such as Seven Pounds & After Earth, were raked over the coals by critics, none of the movies lost money. After Earth was a bomb domestically, but it's overseas total gave it a profit of over $130 million. However, if I had to guess, I'd say that the peak years of his career are behind him. Even if they are, he's had a helluva career. As a recording artist, solo and as part of DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince combined, he's sold over 20 million records in the United States, he's won 4 Grammy Awards, had 2 Academy Award & 2 Golden Globe nominations and his movies have grossed billions of dollars worldwide.

Johnny Depp has really only become a commercial success over the past 10 years or so. Prior to the first Pirates of the Caribbean flick, most of his movies were a lot more artsy. When you consider how many films he's made before and after the Pirates franchise, whether or not the film is a commercial success has never really seemed to be at the top of his priorities. If they happen to be, then great but, if not, it's almost as though he couldn't care less. He's always seemed to have chosen films for which he liked the script and the character he'd be playing. For instance, I honestly didn't feel that Sweeny Todd would be that much of a success, but it made more than triple it's $50 million budget. It also earned him his first Golden Globe win and his 3rd Oscar nomination for Best Actor. I don't mean to imply that he's not happy that some of his films have been such huge hits, but he's not someone that seeks out big budget blockbusters to star in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back