• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why was the CM Punk Summer 2011 angle fucked up so badly?

lil steroid meat

Unregistered User
Saw the LOLTNA page and clicked on the LOLWWE page and it reminded me how horribly the WWE fumbled on what could have been and should have been one of the biggest angles of the modern era . . .

Punk beat Cena again at Summerslam and was the undisputed WWE Champion. However, after the match, Kevin Nash jumped the rail and powerbombed Punk. Del Rio then cashed in his Money In The Bank briefcase and became WWE Champion.

Nash explained his actions the next night, saying that someone texted him to stick the winner of the main event. With Stephanie McMahon hanging around backstage, Hunter acting suspicious and being friends with Nash, Vince being fired because of Punk, and Del Rio cashing in, there were a whole host of possible suspects. To add to the list was John Laurinaitis, who began a suspicious habit of texting at the end of segments. In the end WWE fucked up any possible decent storyline by having Nash text himself. The WWE explanation was that Nash texted himself using Triple H's phone when Hunter wasn't looking to justify his actions to himself, and to stand up for his buddy Triple H, who Punk had disrespected, but only after he lost the title. Therefore Nash's motivation remained a mystery.

Anyway, the match clearly in the build is Nash vs Punk. However, the match never took places because Nash failed a medical examination, bringing up the question Why then was Nash introduced in the first place if he wasn't fit to wrestle???

TL;DR -

While Punk and Nash were trading words, Cena went over ADR for the strap. LOLCENAWINS!!!!!
The Grand result of the Summer of Punk II? At a time when everyone though Punk would be the new Austin, Punk lost the belt, got involved in a moronic programme with Nash and then Triple H went over him, end of story.

http://taimapedia.org/index.php?title=LOLWWE_History#The_Summer_of_Punk_II:_Nash_ruins_everything

Lol how did they fuck up so bad?

Its pretty simple. The dumb fuck that made the decision to have Punk lose the belt to Alberto Del Rio 1 month after Money in the Bank ruined it.

A big reason the angle failed, other than the whole Nash debacle, was that Punk was brought back too quickly after his MITB victory. He should have stayed away until Summer Slam at least, but Vince etc. were probably worried that Punk would lose his thunder if he was off TV for so long.

Yeah, I remember being stunned at how WWE screwed up one of their best angles in years. In retrospect though, I shouldn't have been so surprised.

That angle was fucked 8 days after MITB when Punk came back, that was way too early to bring Punk back then it all went downhill from there. WWE fucks up a lot of big stories (Nexus the year before, Ryback the year after) these days but this was the one where WWE really shot themselves in the foot. I never thought Punk was the next Austin but if WWE was better booked he would have gotten a lot bigger than he did.

I was going to try to type something without sounding like a hater, but c'est la vie...

You failed to mention the ******ation that was the WWE Walkout which was related to the Punk storyline. By far the stupidest angle I've ever layed eyes on.

No not the stupidest angle.

But why couldn't they just have been obvious and said Vince texted? Revenge for Punk getting him sacked?

Everyone was expective him to tour the indies defending the belt. It didn't happened but it would have been cool.

The whole angle came off as exceedingly produced while it should have at least been attempting to appear very organic. At least we got the summer of Punk, which is better than no Summer of Punk.

If The Rock hadn't come back, it would've been great if they had held off his return and the rematch for Wrestlemania 28, and the WHC Title or the interim WWE belt had headlined the PPV's until then. Then again, if The Rock hadn't come back the shoot might not have happened at all. Least they could've done was have him return at Summerslam after a Cena/Mysterio main event.

I had hopes for the TNA version but AJ went and split for good.

Everyone was expective him to tour the indies defending the belt. It didn't happened but it would have been cool.

And Cena should've chased him around for the belt.

1). They rushed Punk back. Letting Punk disappear, with the title, would have created great chaos.

2). Recreating Austin vs. McMahon with HHH vs. Punk was the wrong call. It was clear that was the long term plan for Punk. Having Punk take down HHH's friends for a long slow build, which leads to

3). Nash and his medical problems. This simply killed the story. With Nash gone, and the fans already confused with the story, they simply rushed a six month story into a throwaway match.

I still feel the biggest mistake was the absolute no-sell of Punk leaving with the belt after the WWE itself hyped up how monumental it was.

"You can't let him leave with the belt! It could be the end of the company as we know it!"
"Oh shit, really?"
"Nah, not really - I'll just go grab a replica belt and we'll say that's the title instead. It's that easy after all. Not really sure why we were panicking."
"But Punk's just come back with the belt."
"Yeah, but Cena's the real champion, even though he lost to Punk two weeks ago."

Mind-numbingly stupid.

Punk needed to be gone up until Summerslam at the very least - or up to his thirty day title defence limit.

There was a perfectly good story to play out in the interim with the tournament to crown a new champion. Cena vs Rey was more than enough to headline Summerslam.

I also think that HHH was injected into the storyline as COO too soon. Vince needed to be given more time to mess things up with the WWE title, the tournament and especially the looming shadow of Punk going around the world with the title belt, interrupting WWE events such as ComiCon, posting videos of him at indy events with the belt, challenging Cena or HHH to come fight him at some arena in Chicago and then post of video of him sitting waiting for them with the title etc.

Nash at Summerslam was when they got themselves all tied in knots - I am sure that the original idea was for Nash to have been hired by Laurinitis, probably on the orders of McMahon, but for some reason, all of that was forgotten in place of the awful "Nash texted Nash."

Pick your place man there were tons of places where they went wrong imo. Letting Punk come back so soon, having him drop the title to Del Rio, transition to a feud with Nash and Triple H while Cena wins the WWE title again, having Punk vs Nash go absolutely nowhere except having Triple H beat the both of them. They should have either brought back Punk back at SummerSlam or later. They should have had him beat Cena and then Triple H for the title. That would have boosted them off huge. While I'm not sure he would have maintained the momentum to Mania anyway, I think this wouldn't have cooled him off in 2 months time.

This was not long after Punk had been leading a shit version of the Nexus, I repeat, a shit version of the Nexus as the biggest deal on RAW after WWE dismantled the Nexus deal piece by piece. Like, a month after R-Turth was feuding with Cena for the world title. WWE at that point was so shocked that they had something actually good on their handed they had no fucking idea what to do with it.

Erm, Punk's just cut on of the best promos of all time.

But we had him scheduled to lose to Cena at MITB and then at Summerslam and then we want Del Rio to be WWE champ for like 8 months to bore the fucking life out of people.

Well maybe we can give Punk a bit of what he wants but still book all that laborious shit as well.

What, how? This is going to ruin any chance of making fans miserable for the second half of the year so they love the Wrestlemania season much more by comparison.

All right, read this.

<Rifles through the pages>

So, then Kevin Nash and HHH, with an average age of close to 50 will have a ladder match with a sledgehammer on the top of it as the prize?

Yea...

And Punk will have lost to HHH previously?

Yea...

And we'll totally dumb down Punk's character so that we can shift focus back to Cena again because even though people are chanting Punk now
, we know in their hearts they really want Cena?

Yea......
I..... LOVE IT!!

&#1041;&#1072;&#1088;&#1073;&#1086;&#1089;&#1072;;4914709 said:
Punk going around the world with the title belt, interrupting WWE events such as ComiCon, posting videos of him at indy events with the belt, challenging Cena or HHH to come fight him at some arena in Chicago and then post of video of him sitting waiting for them with the title etc.

This would have been perfect, they should have even had him defending the title at ROH and NJPW events, just to sell the kayfabe of it.

It wasn't that bad. It was rushed, but what isn't in 2014?

Even though they should have waited until Summerslam to bring Punk back, it being rushed wasn't even the worst part. It was still salvageable when Summerslam 2011 went on the air.

The thing that ruined it was the pointless involvement of Nash

Cena beating Rey for the title should have main evented Summerslam. The Nash/Triple H stuff was nonsense.
I have to agree with this. While Punk/Cena was the marquee match at the time & I really liked the whole "Undisputed WWE Championship Match" tagline that the WWE threw on the match since I was always skeptical of when they would finally unite the world titles, Cena & Rey should have headlined Summerslam 2011. They had an absolute epic on RAW that was much better than any Cena's foot under the ropes/Nash B.S. In a perfect world Punk/Cena should headlined Mania at some point for the title instead of their Summerslam 2011 title match, maybe either instead of Miz/Cena or in a triple threat with Rocky instead of the two "One In A Lifetime" matches from him & Cena.

Are you guys really trying to figure out how WWE fucked something up? After all, this comes from the same crack team of geniuses that brought us Hornswoggle as not only the illegitimate child of Vince McMahon, but also thought it was a good idea to reveal him as the anonymous RAW GM....

Point being, sometimes they just dont know what the fuck they are doing- even if a great story is handed to them on a silver platter.

To be fair, booking 5000 hours of television each week must be a bitch.

Doubt they actually book Main Event/Superstars, though. It's probably just a rotation of guys and gals who haven't been on the main show/ancillary matches. They don't book NXT, that's all HHH and his crew. They don't book Total Divas, which is the E!. They've basically got 5 hours a week between Smackdown & Raw, and Smackdown is pretty rote-by-feud and mostly wrestling segements most times. So really 3 hours a week, plus an extra 3 a month for the PPV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back