• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who's Place is WWE is Bigger? Stone Cold Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan?

Who is Bigger? Stone Cold or Hulk Hogan?

• Stone Cold Steve Austin

• Hulk Hogan

• Equals

Results are only viewable after voting.

pepentorresHHH

Getting Noticed By Management
Its that time again.... first we had Bret vs HHH then we had The Rock vs Shawn Michaels.... Now we Have Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Hulk Hogan

Both Men had one of a kin careers and they both are in the conversation of the biggest ever... but who did more for WWE?.... lets remember not wcw or ecw or even tna talk..... strictly their runs in WWE....

Stone Cold gave us the 3:16 thing, numerous reings as wwe, ic, tag team champion among others, he was the main man during the attitude era and was arguably the main reason WWE won the Monday Night War (not saying he was the only, but the biggest reason), he had classic fueds and matches with the rock, vince mcmahon, triple h, mick foley, the undertaker, kurt angle, bret hart, brian pillman, kane, among many others, won 3 royal rumbles, was in the main event of WM 14,15,17.... he gave us one of the best matches of all time at wrestlemania 13 with Bret.... He moved a TON of merch, even surpassing Hogan (correct me if im mistaken) Among many other accomplishments.... Vince even said he was the greatest wwe superstar in his HOF speech....

Hogan, quite simply put the WWE on the map, and started the Rock and Wrestling era that quite simply took the business to new heights that was only rivalled by Stone Cold. He Mainevented 9 consecutiv wrestlemanias, won the title on multiple occasions, one of his title reigns was 4 years!.... he had legendary matches and feuds with Andre the Giant, Paul Orndorff, Randy Savage, Rowdy Roddy Piper, King Kong Bundy, The Ultimate Warrior, Sgt Slaughter, The Rock, Vince McMahon, among many others.... he moved tons of merch.... and he quite possibly might be the biggest of all times as well....

so what do you think..... who means more to the wwe legacy right now and in future generations?

Discuss

DRAW POWER- Both men could sell out arenas in an instant, but if I had to choose one, it would have to be Hogan. He lasted longer in the federation than Steve did, which kind of gave him the edge in this one.

IN RING ABILITY- Steve Austin was passable in the ring, but Hulk Hogan couldn't even hold a candle to most of the current WWE roster, so Austin wins this one.

BETTER WORKER- Again, Steve wins this one. He was just as loyal to the WWF as John Cena is today. Hogan on the other hand, put hardly anyone over. Remember that one time when he buried Bret Hart AND Yokozuna on the same night? What a boob.

OVERALL- It's very difficult to pick, mostly because both men defined the eras that they were in. Hogan promoted the cheesy, stereotypical babyface of the 80's, while Steve Austin showcased the rebellious and vulgar personality of the Attitude Era. But when it's all said and done, most IWC members will say that Stone Cold was the bigger man in this match-up. He had everything. Hulk Hogan, on the other hand, is still trying to maintain a decent reputation with the hardcore fanbase.

STEVE AUSTIN WINS!!!

DRAW POWER- Hogan on the other hand, put hardly anyone over. [/B]

True statement, but don't sleep on Steve Austin being a bit of a diva. He's walked on the WWF/E several times in his tenure.

Anyways, it's a great debate. On one hand you have Hulk Hogan, who took professional wrestling to extraordinary heights and became really the first and most famous household name in wrestling. He personified the 80s and early to mid 90s with Hulkamania and became a megastar. Wrestling would never have reached it's peak without Hulk Hogan and wrestling might not have survived without Hulkamnia. Who knows?

Then you have Steve Austin, who injected "attitude" into the WWF. Without Austin 3:16 and the crazy explosion of his popularity, WWF goes under. It's not an if or a maybe. It DOES. They were going under. He couldn't afford Bret Hart (supposedly) and let him out of his "lifetime contract." He literally stumbled upon the "Attitude Era" and WCW's ego problem and lack of new stars and boom, the WWF survives. Without Austin and the Attitude Era, WCW is still on Monday nights and we would be looking for the next "Rise and Fall of the WWF" DVD set.

I still think Hogan means more to professional wrestling in general, but it's really close. Both men took it to new heights, but would the WWF have been as crazy popular without The Rock? I think that's a fair question. Hogan had no equal in terms of drawing power. Rock became more popular than Austin. Hogan transcended wrestling and made it mainstream. I think he gets the nod.

Rock became more popular than Austin.

I disagree with this. Rock was not and is not more popular than Austin. Rock became the guy when Austin was out with a neck injury for a year. If Austin would have been there, who's to say that Rock would have ever gotten to the popularity level that he did. Rock gets the pops when he comes out now, but I guarantee you, if the glass breaks, the reaction of the crowd will be deafening.

As for who is bigger between Austin and Hogan, that's a very tough decision. Both meant the same to their respective eras in wrestling. Hogan might be the most famous wrestler, but Austin is the man who not only led the Attitude era, but is largely responsible for WWE being in business today. Personally, I think Austin is bigger because of what he brought to the table, both in the ring and as a character. Hogan was basically the same character, with the Hollywood character being Hulkamania on the opposite side. But of course, that's just my opinion. Historically, I don't know if it can ever be fully determined which of these two was bigger.

I disagree with this. Rock was not and is not more popular than Austin. Rock became the guy when Austin was out with a neck injury for a year. If Austin would have been there, who's to say that Rock would have ever gotten to the popularity level that he did. Rock gets the pops when he comes out now, but I guarantee you, if the glass breaks, the reaction of the crowd will be deafening.

As for who is bigger between Austin and Hogan, that's a very tough decision. Both meant the same to their respective eras in wrestling. Hogan might be the most famous wrestler, but Austin is the man who not only led the Attitude era, but is largely responsible for WWE being in business today. Personally, I think Austin is bigger because of what he brought to the table, both in the ring and as a character. Hogan was basically the same character, with the Hollywood character being Hulkamania on the opposite side. But of course, that's just my opinion. Historically, I don't know if it can ever be fully determined which of these two was bigger.
ARE U SERIOUS...Rock is by far more popular than Stone Cold. Rock has how many #1 movies? The Rock passed Stone Cold in popularity somewhere around 2001-2002 and that shouldn't even be and argument.

Now as for the question...The obvious answer is the most popular, most known, wrestler of all time Hulk Hogan. Seriously the love fest for Austin is almost as bad as the one for CM Punk. Hogan made wrestling. Yes he sucks but he did more for wrestling and the WWF than anybody in history. Austin was great but he just wasn't around long enough. 2 great years isnt enough to make you the best ever. You need to have a long and great career and Austin didnt have that. I dont understand why people rank Austin so high. He had one great feud, got hurt, came back and wasn't nearly as great or successful as he had been prior to his injury. Im not bashing Austin, I think he was awesome but Austin vs McMahon is all he had and that one storyline is not bigger than an entire career from guys like HBK, Taker, HHH and so on. It's Hogan over Austin easily...No Contest

Hulk Hogan. The man is the godfather of pro wrestling. Regardless of how you might feel about him he's the G.O.A.T. and his place in Wrestling will always be on top above anyone else even above a big name like Austin.

It's "whose", not "who's".

Anyway, I'd have to go with Hogan. Hogan sold out arenas across the country and kept WWE going when it would have gone under without him. Every time they tried to push another star to replace Hogan (Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Sid Justice, etc.), it failed, and they had to go back to Hogan. It wasn't until his prime was over and the era of Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels began, that WWE truly moved past him.

Austin was a huge star as well, but he was one of many huge stars at the time. He was, ultimately, replaceable. Add to that his lack of dedication, and I think there's no doubt that Hogan is a better star than Austin.

How many WrestleMania's did Hogan headline? How many did Austin headline? Rhetorical question. I think Hogan's overall body of work ('84-'92) was far more impressive and important than Austin's ('98-'00). I respect both but Hogan's run was during the transition period for professional wrestling and the WWF as a whole. The territories were dying and Vince was trying to go national, a HUGE gamble!!

In 1998, wrestling was in the midst of a resurgence even before Austin began his run, with the NWO on the opposite channel. A few highlights.....

-Headlined the first WrestleMania (which was make or break for the WWF) Appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated,

-Gave us the iconic image of bodyslaming Andre at WM III before 93,000 at the SilverDome,

-Was the most requested Make-A_Wish celebrity during the '80s, and became the face of the WWF.

-He brought pro wrestling out of the shadows of the territories and into the biggest areanas, on primetime NBC, and PPV

-Of all the former WWE wrestlers to come back (including the Rock) Hogan was the most embraced the by the fans. Who can forget his legendary stare down with Rock on RAW? Or the return of Hulkamania in '02?

-I am a huge SCSA mark but its Hogan just because he made two seperate companies the #1 company in two different eras
-Obviously SCSA is the greatest WWE Star seeing he shattered every record Hogan had in that company
-As far as comparing SCSA to the Rock its not even close SCSA in a landslide
-Fans can talk all they want about the movies hes been in but even in Steve's down years in merch sales the Rock never went over 4 mill
-I consider HHH the main star when Steve missed time due to neck issues

Answer is Hogan hands down, his run on top (84'-92') was legendary, he was the solo main guy in the WWF and is the most recognized wrestler of all time. Somebody said his in ring work was terrible, i disagree, sure he wasnt a ring technician by any means but nobody AND THE ROCK MEANS nobody could get a crowd into a match better than Hulk Hogan did, hell even Kayfabe you gotta go with Hogan, his first WWF Championship lasted over four years, second one for a year...the second one was more time than all of Austins title reigns combined....

I will say Stone Cold ONLY because the question is "Who's Place is bigger in the WWE". SCSA (last time I checked) was the highest-grossing wrestler of all time, but Hogan has become a huge name in EVERY company he's in. SCSA was the right place, the right push, the right time.

Anyone in who says Austin is a fool in my opinion. Granted Austin is the only person that you could possibly compare Hogan's place in WWE to (as a wrestler, but I don't think that's enough to make it comparable. Hogan is the biggest star in the history of wrestling, Austin is WWE's 2nd biggest star, but Hogan is far and ahead of Austin in the standings. He completely dominated a decade of wrestling and then continued to be a major part throughout the next one. Austin had what, 5 years (1997-2002) with two of them being virtually completely inactive (2000, 2002). Hogan was THE guy he was a pop culture icon a wrestling icon he simply was wrestling from 1983-who knows? You could argue he was not nearly as over or big in 1993 but what about him comitting the biggest heel turn in wrestling 3 years later and then leading the most successful faction in wrestling history.

I don't even know why I have to explain this, Hogan's place in WWE is at least 3 times bigger than Austin's, the only person (backstage or onscreen) with a bigger place is Vincent Kennedy McMahon himself

I loved Stone Cold as much as anyone else during the attitude era. He brought the WWE out of the tank, and he went onto help the WWE win the Monday Night Wars. He is really under rated in the ring I have noticed. Before his injuries Stone Cold was a great mat wrestler. Stone Cold is the only other wrestler that can be in the same conversation as Hogan as far as best ever. That said, Hogan's place is bigger. As others have said, his first championship run was legendary. All through my childhood he was the guy you wanted to see. He was that face from 84 to 92. Hogan was literally unbeatable during that time. He helped in the make WrestleMania a success that first year in a make or break situation, and became a name known everywhere.

ONLY because the question is "Who's Place is bigger in the WWE". SCSA (last time I checked) was the highest-grossing wrestler of all time, but Hogan has become a huge name in EVERY company he's in. SCSA was the right place, the right push, the right time.

Highest grossing is misleading. Maybe in terms of merchandise but Austin had the advantage of much more merchandise (t-shirts, DVD's, videos, plus all the other trinkets and gadgets) plus the internet made it much much more easier to get access to the merchandise. Whereas in Hogan's era you had to actually attend an event.

I just listen to the wrestler's who were around during that era and how they PRAYED to be on the same loop as Hulk because they would get a MAJOR pay day in comparison to the "B-loop". Austin's era was much different with guaranteed contracts etc....In Hogan's era you also just had 4 major PPV's whereas in Austin's there was a PPV every month plus the RAW's.

I just look at what WWF was before Hogan (strictly a northeast territory) vs what it became during Hulk's era....a national promotion that sold out the country's largest arenas and became a household name.

Austin may have sold more merch than the rock but the rock overall had more fans and was more of a household name than Austin. Austin is more popular only with wrestling fans but The Rock is bigger worldwide. I honestly put Rock second Austin third but thats my opinion, either way neither of the two is even close to Hogan

I have to go with Equals simply on the merits that they each were revolutionary headliners for their eras that elevated the WWF/E to new heights when business wasn't doing as great as it could have been. They set new standards when people were growing tired of the status quo or growing out of it as they got older. And say what you want about him, the minds of these two during their respective times combined with that of Vince McMahon proved to be an almost monolithic promotional force that not too many other companies can claim to have matched or come close.

Now, on a more biased level away from that, I go with Austin. Hogan may have reinvented himself in WCW but that hot streak fizzled out after 2 years once all the signs had shown themselves that the company was a sinking ship being monopolized internally by aging stars calling the shots and clinging to their spots. Even now, he's in a similar spot as an authority figure in TNA so his unwillingness to know when his time was over and all the shit he's done to deserving young talent over the years has knocked him down several pegs in my book, far below Steve Austin.

ARE U SERIOUS...Rock is by far more popular than Stone Cold. Rock has how many #1 movies? The Rock passed Stone Cold in popularity somewhere around 2001-2002 and that shouldn't even be and argument.

But we are not talking about movies here, this is a discussion on wrestling. Saying that Rock has had however many number one movies does mean that he is more popular than Austin. It just means that Rock is a better actor than Austin, which allows him more opportunities to have number one movies. But let's be honest, some of those number one movies were not number one simply because Rock was in them. GI Joe was going to be number one regardless of if he was in it, just like the Fast & Furious movies. But again, movies are not in this, it's about wrestling. Austin was more popular in wrestling than Rock, no question.

But we are not talking about movies here, this is a discussion on wrestling. Saying that Rock has had however many number one movies does mean that he is more popular than Austin. It just means that Rock is a better actor than Austin, which allows him more opportunities to have number one movies. But let's be honest, some of those number one movies were not number one simply because Rock was in them. GI Joe was going to be number one regardless of if he was in it, just like the Fast & Furious movies. But again, movies are not in this, it's about wrestling. Austin was more popular in wrestling than Rock, no question.

Rock's movie appearances tie hand-in-hand with his wrestling career and his draw power. He is a far bigger star than Austin. If anyone is close to Hogan, it's The Rock and frankly, he might have surpassed Hogan. Hogan and Rock gained movie roles because of their wrestling popularity. When they show up on WWE TV, casual fans tune in to see them. The same really can't be said about Austin. Look at Rock's last run and how hyped it was. That's the Rock. Austin would have a similar impact, but not quite on that level.

Rock's movie appearances tie hand-in-hand with his wrestling career and his draw power. He is a far bigger star than Austin. If anyone is close to Hogan, it's The Rock and frankly, he might have surpassed Hogan. Hogan and Rock gained movie roles because of their wrestling popularity. When they show up on WWE TV, casual fans tune in to see them. The same really can't be said about Austin. Look at Rock's last run and how hyped it was. That's the Rock. Austin would have a similar impact, but not quite on that level.
Rock and Hogan are the only household names in the history of wrestling. Austin never reached that level he is just widely loved by wrestling fans

DRAW POWER- Both men could sell out arenas in an instant, but if I had to choose one, it would have to be Hogan. He lasted longer in the federation than Steve did, which kind of gave him the edge in this one.

I'll agree with you on that, for sure. This one does not need a lot of explaining, to be completely honest. Not to mention, Hulk Hogan was a focal point of other organizations such as the AWA and WCW, yes we know what happened to WCW towards the end. And while Hogan's star power has been the subject of a lot of controversy there, let's not forget he wasn't the only ego in that company. I'd dare speculate that WCW's financial woes and creative stumbles was beyond just Hogan's hands, considering how before he even arrived in the promotion there was always a sense of upheaval and unpredictability. Blaming that solely on one person is irrational.

IN RING ABILITY- Steve Austin was passable in the ring, but Hulk Hogan couldn't even hold a candle to most of the current WWE roster, so Austin wins this one.

I'll raise the bullshit flag on this one, Hogan of course rested on some laurels, I don't think you can argue you that, nor could I. If you look at him next to Ric Flair, he definitely wasn't a 60 minute man, but that doesn't take away from what he could do in the ring. Sure, he never did a lot in the way of scientific wrestling, but that doesn't mean he couldn't. There were matches that required he rise to the occasion in that regard, and he did. Granted, this was mostly done in his overseas outings, but look at it this way, he had a 20 plus minute match with The Ultimate Warrior at Mania, that in itself should be considered an accomplishment, since The Warrior's matches for the most part were shorter than his ring entrances. Steve Austin's typical outings in the WWF consisted of mudhole stomping, Thesz Presses, and the double middle finger before the kick to the gut and the Stone Cold Stunner. An entertaining thing time and again no doubt, but it's by far a very formulaic dynamic just like Hulk Hogan's cupping the ear, his Hulking up, and of course his famous big boot and legdrop combo.

Both men are examples of being formulaic, plain and simple.

BETTER WORKER- Again, Steve wins this one. He was just as loyal to the WWF as John Cena is today. Hogan on the other hand, put hardly anyone over. Remember that one time when he buried Bret Hart AND Yokozuna on the same night? What a boob.

Oh give me a break! If what they say is true and that "walk-out" by Steve Austin in 2002 wasn't kayfabe, and it was 100 percent shoot, which I still doubt, considering that WWE Confidential did an entire segment on it. Who knows though, I think most angles that have that "worked shoot" vibe are based in some sort of reality. And let's be honest, if that's the case, I don't care what anyone says, Steve Austin had his own ego too. If he really did refuse to want to work with Brock Lesnar because it wasn't hyped as a PPV match, I say whatever. Austin's starpower wasn't what it was in the late 90s, guys like The Rock, Triple H, Kurt Angle and Undertaker were doing rather well for the WWF during the end of the Attitude Era in the 2000s. While Austin was rehabbing from injuries (again can't fault him for that) these guys were keeping the WWF afloat. Not to say Austin wasn't missed, but at the same time business wasn't falling apart because of him. So by the time new talent like Brock Lesnar came in, there would have been no crime in him getting a win over Austin, even if it wasn't on PPV. As far as your citing Hogan's burial of Yokozuna and Bret Hart, give me some more proof. It's funny how those supposed magazine pictures of Hogan and Hart having a "tug of war" over the belt have never surfaced. But yet people are dead set into thinking they have.

They already tried having Hogan put over a babyface with the Ultimate Warrior and it failed. Granted, Hulk Hogan's impromptu title win over Yokozuna could not be looked at as a "WTF moment", but at that time, it was a surprise that no one expected. I mean title changes these days are a lot more ridiculous with the anti-climatic and over used Money In The Bank briefcase. So we can say what we want about Hogan's impromptu title win, but I'm sure it wasn't just his decision alone, after all, if memory serves right Vince McMahon is the guy that steers the ship. Say what you want about Hogan's star power, but by that point, I'm sure Vince had all the leverage since Hogan was on his way out. Besides, Hogan lost the title a couple of months later in crushing and tragic fashion, the same way Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund lost their titles.

So let's spare the armchair expertise and stop acting like you knew what happened at WrestleMania IX, because I am pretty sure you don't. As far as "loyalty" goes, the way I look at it, if you fulfill a contractual obligation, you're entitled to see what other options are out there for you. Hogan obviously still had a name that he could lend to another brand and find success. He did that with WCW about a year after he left the WWF. All the power to him, that's just what business is all about. While I commend and enjoy seeing guys like The Undertaker stay with the WWF/E for over 20 years, but Hogan had an opening and he took it. Vince supposedly wrote him off and thought that after 10 years with the WWF, we've seen the last of what Hogan could offer as a big time player. It's obvious that wasn't the case.

OVERALL- It's very difficult to pick, mostly because both men defined the eras that they were in. Hogan promoted the cheesy, stereotypical babyface of the 80's, while Steve Austin showcased the rebellious and vulgar personality of the Attitude Era.

Oh bullshit, Hogan was anything but the typical cheesy babyface! Of course, he still pandered and there was a lot of mondo good guy rhetoric and propaganda. But please, he was nowhere near the level of straight up fan favorite that Sammartino and Backlund ever were. Hulk Hogan was the type of guy in the storylines that never hesitated to rake an eye or use his ripped shirt to choke out an adversary. I don't know what WWF you were watching to get that ridiculous idea.

Granted, Steve Austin played it differently and was obviously a more rebellious and aggressive figure. But at the same time, let's not overlook Hogan's deviation from the faces of yesteryear.

But when it's all said and done, most IWC members will say that Stone Cold was the bigger man in this match-up. He had everything. Hulk Hogan, on the other hand, is still trying to maintain a decent reputation with the hardcore fanbase.

Yeah because let's be honest most IWC members are completely misguided. I personally don't care about offending anyone on topics like this. And judging by your rationale, I'm almost willing to put you right into that category. How do you really want to define reputation? I mean yeah, I've no doubt that Hulk Hogan might be a difficult person to deal with, but I'm not giving Austin a free pass either. No one who is famous and influential in an enterprise like professional wrestling can be without an ego. No way, no how. Let's not put these people's personal character on a pedestal. I'll be the first to admit that Hulk Hogan's (or Terry Bollea as he should be referred to in this context) personal life isn't one to exactly emulate. But Steve Austin? Seriously? Steve Austin's personal life isn't one I'd necessarily want to have either. Let's not forget this guy went to court on a couple of occasions on the charge of domestic assault. And I might add that those court cases involve different women.

If you have any sense of rationality, which I am highly doubting, then you'd see that someone who tries to abuse clout due to star power is not in the same category as someone who actually strikes women. That doesn't change how I feel about Austin's on air portrayal of his character, because he was entertained immensely by him. But seriously man, give me a goddamned break about basing these men's legend on their reputation.

If the rest of the IWC wants to actually put a wife beater on a pedestal, then I'll gladly be in the minority to disagree with such notions.

Which leads me to my next question, why do so many of us in the IWC predicate a legend on their "personal character"? Shouldn't we all know by now that entertainers and athletes are far from being humanitarians?

STEVE AUSTIN WINS!!!

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make it any less a bullshit one.

Hulk Hogan, hands down, regardless of how much McMahon wants to bury the past. Hulk Hogan had a solid 1984-1992 run and was the top guy the entire time, regardless of whether he had the WWE Title or not. Austins main event run at best ran 1997-2001, and he missed the best part of a year with a broken neck. Hogan may have been lithe to put people over, but Austin was a machine at not putting guys over. Hogan never took his ball and went home when he had to put people over, Austin upped and left twice. Austin is also the one who point blank refused to work a Wrestlemania 18 match with Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan made WWE the household name it became, Austin took the ball and ran hard with it in the attitude era.

Austin but it isn't by much. Throw all stats, opinions, facts, theories you wish but it all comes down to Austin plain and simple. Make no mistake about it Hogan WAS wrestling in the 80's-90's and there isn't any piece of evidence that suggests otherwise. Hogan left the WWF and went to rival company WCW. Who was the main superstar that helped the WWF take WCW down? Austin. So all in all Austin was there to pick up Hogan's mess, raised some hell and helped the WWF take down Turnet Broadcasting

I feel these two guys are equal. Without Hogan, Wrestling won't be where it's at right now. Hogan was the first one to be successful worldwide. Made Wrestlemania famous worldwide. Made the merchandise business.

In Austin's case, he took a company that was really struggling against the powerful WCW/nWo (The company that Hollywood made), and made the company number 1. Yeah, Austin's term was short from '97-'03, but those years he had were among the best in wrestling history. Austin had the highest segments in wrestling history. Austin had some of the highest PPV buy rates in wrestling history. Austin sold tons of merchandise.

Both of these guys were important to their respective era. I can't put one over the other.

I think if Austin came back, He will be more hyped then the Rock. Austin was the cover boy of the Attitude Era and the Rock played second fiddle to Stone Cold. The Rock became the main star when they need someone to replace Steve Austin when he had neck surgery in '00. This ain't the movie business, This is wrestling. Steve Austin has some of the most Hardcore fan's. When Austin left the company, the fans left and they are still trying to get them back. If/when Stone Cold comes back, Hell's Going to Break Loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back