• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who's had the Better Series ??

TJ Matics

It was never the same.
Randy Orton and Christian or CM Punk vs John Cena

With CM Punk and John Cena over, and RKO and Christian nearing the end, or at the end, IDK, which feud do you think was the superior ?

Judge the feuds by:
Match Quality
Crowd Reaction
& How they worked with their opponent.

I'm not giving my personal opinion for three reasons:
1. I haven't ordered any of the PPV's
2. I haven't seen any of CvR matches on Smackdown
3. I think CM Punk is superior to everyone:lmao:

So please don't just choose your favorite star:banghead:

promo wise, punk and cena of course and their matches have been great but i have to go with orton and christian for the better series because of their matches. their chemistry in the ring is just awesome and not only did they pull off classic wrestling matches, but a awesome no holds barred and cage match. hopefully punk and cena picks up again though because that could become something very memorable.

not even close. Punk vs Cena in chicago will probably be pwi's match of the year (hbk is retired isnt he?) and Punk actually carried cena enough to where all the matches were really good.

the 30 matches of randy vs christian were watered down and needed two gimmick matches to finally end it. it was alright but knowing wwe creative we'll just see the same feud on Raw next year b/c they seem to like having smackdown feuds replay on Raw.

so my winner is punk vs cena easily.

Orton and Christian was a better series simply because it was a longer series to me.. Punk and Cena had the better promo and story behind it but... seems like the WWE has tanked it or dropped it at the moment now shifting it to PUNK and HHH.... but anyways Orton and Christian made it each other look great, they worked great with one another..

great chemistry between the two, and like Jokernaut said, the no holds barred and cage match was top notch... the series was ended greatly and both came off as winners in my book...

Randy Orton and Christian or CM Punk vs John Cena

With CM Punk and John Cena over, and RKO and Christian nearing the end, or at the end, IDK, which feud do you think was the superior ?

Judge the feuds by:
Match Quality
Crowd Reaction

I'm not giving my personal opinion for three reasons:
1. I haven't ordered any of the PPV's
2. I haven't seen any of CvR matches on Smackdown
3. I think CM Punk is superior to everyone:lmao:

So please don't just choose your favorite star:banghead:

Punk and Cena for me - and the feud isn't over either. I can see there being more matches in the future - maybe not right away but some day soon. I really hope there isn't another Orton/Christian match and don't think there would have been so many if Orton had another top level heel to feud with. I'd like to see some promoting of heels without the show. A Rhodes/Orton feud would help move him up a few levels though of course Orton would win.

I’m going to have to go with Cena and Punk. The number one reason is the WWE Title. This feud was based around the WWE Championship. It is still the most prestigious prize in the industry. Add that to the fact that Punk was walking out with the Title, got Vince McMahon relieved of his duties for the first time ever, forced the Board to elect HHH as COO, involved the leader of the Wolfpac, and brought Johnny Ace out in front of the camera says a whole lot. Match quality, well, the Raw Main Event got 5 Stars. Cena getting more boos than Christian and Punk getting more cheers than Orton should answer the crowd reaction question. Now how they worked their opponent is a question I don’t know how to answer exactly. I think Cena / Punk beat out Orton / Christian by a very very slim margin. If the Titles and the Brands were reversed, it might be a little closer.

not even close. Punk vs Cena in chicago will probably be pwi's match of the year (hbk is retired isnt he?) and Punk actually carried cena enough to where all the matches were really good.

the 30 matches of randy vs christian were watered down and needed two gimmick matches to finally end it. it was alright but knowing wwe creative we'll just see the same feud on Raw next year b/c they seem to like having smackdown feuds replay on Raw.

so my winner is punk vs cena easily.

Im by no means a big John Cena fan, I am however a big CM Punk fan. But to say that CM Punk carried Cena to having really good matches is just plain stupid. Just like Batista, Shawn Micheals, Edge, Nexus, Sheamus, Big Show, JBL (I could go on) carried him?? Now dont get me wrong I'm not saying he is capable of intricate holds and moves, but he doesnt need to be. One constant in the feuds I just mentioned (which in my eyes were all pretty good) is John Cena.

When someone like Bret Hart, a Hall of Famer who helped teach numerous amounts of wrestlers says John Cena is the best wrestler in WWE I would tend to take his opinion over any John Cena hater.

Both have been great in very different ways. Punk/Cena was a very "Raw"-type feud, meaning the best parts of it were done on the mic, storyline wise, contract signings, etc. Orton/Christian was a very "SmackDown"-type feud, in that the storyline was light but every match was incredibly good, some of them being 5 star matches IMO.

I think Cena/Punk wins simply because its one of the first angles I've cared about in quite a while, and also because Punk/Cena at MITB was one of the most insane crowds I've ever seen, not to mention a great, methodical match between the two.

based on the criteria mentioned: orton vs christian

based on if you give preference to whoever WWE tells you to like by forcing it down your throat: Punk vs Cena

Really the punk vs cena thing wouldn`t have half as much hype if not for the breaking of the fourth wall that came with it and playing on all these themes of management sucks, bc as we all should know the universe loves to complain.

Interesting topic. It's refreshing to see a thread that isn't designed to, first and foremost, bitch and moan about something.

Both of these series have produced some exceptional wrestling matches and had garnered a lot of interest in both the WWE & World Heavyweight Championship pictures over the course of the past several months.

Match Quality

In terms of just sheer outright in-ring action, I'd give it to Randy Orton vs. Christian. Every single match they've had over the course of this summer has been fantastic from start to finish. Orton & Christian's first match on SmackDown! back in May and their cage match this past Tuesday are the two best wrestling matches I've seen on television in 2011. On the other hand, when it comes to the overall angle and storyline involved, I have to give that edge to Cena vs. Punk. The Cena vs. Punk feud has generated a flood of buzz like few things seen on the internet. The action itself was extremely good though not quite on the same level as Orton vs. Christian. Their matches at MITB, SummerSlam and their #1 contender match on Raw were all exceptional. Their matches at MITB & SummerSlam were better and it just simply clicked and the storyline helped to develop an epic feel for both of them.

My Verdict: Tie

Crowd Reaction

I flat out have to give this one to John Cena vs. CM Punk. Their match at MITB was the PERFECT big match atmosphere. The crowd was hot for the entire ppv but their reaction for this match was the reaction every guy who hopes to main event gets someday. Whether they loved Punk or hated Cena, they were on the edge of their seats in Chicago. WWE often does get hot crowds, some more so than others depending on where they are, but this was just on a different level. Orton & Christian have gotten great reactions but the story behind Cena vs. Punk is just too intriguing. If Cena vs. The Rock wasn't going to happen, I'd say book Cena vs. Punk at WM 28 in an Iron Man Match and settle it. The response would still be huge and the angle that's created the response is something that Orton vs. Christian just can't touch.

My Verdict: John Cena vs. CM Punk

Chemistry

These series have shown wrestlers that do have a great working chemistry with each other. When it comes to Orton vs. Christian, I was expecting some good quality stuff but I was quite surprised at how good it was. It exceeded expectations. They simply flat out work extremely well together. Christian is a very talented guy and I've seen him have great matches with just about anyone. When it comes to Cena vs. Punk, the build up over the course of the feud has been epic and the bar was set high. In this case, the reality was at least equal to the hype. In spite of what some would have you believe, John Cena is a talented pro wrestler and often does have great chemistry with his opponents and Punk is the same way. He might be more talented in terms of in-ring ability than Cena, but Cena can still hold interest. We were all hoping for something really great from their feud and that's exactly what we got.

My Verdict: Tie

Overall

I can't really blame anyone for the choice that they make here. It's impossible to go wrong here I think. Both series produced some great matches and interesting storylines. Both series resulted in two extremely talented wrestlers, Christian & CM Punk, finally elevated to the main event level where, in my opinion, they should have already been years ago. As for my choice, I think I'm going to have to give the overall edge to John Cena vs. CM Punk. The storyline setting up the matches was more compelling, the crowd response and enthusiasm for the feud was something that Orton vs. Christian couldn't equal and CM Punk is the one that's generally come out the winner of his feud. Christian, while looking like a strong and worthy competitor, ultimately fell victim to The Viper. CM Punk, on the other hand, has consistently come out looking like someone that's simply had John Cena's number. This is the first feud I can recall in a very long time involving John Cena in which Cena came out, ultimately, on the losing end.

My Verdict: John Cena vs. CM Punk

I'm going with Orton/Christan. The Matches these two put on were phenomenal. The story was was great too, it had you rooting for Christan then rooting for Orton then it had you split. The multiple title changes also added some more excitement to it. The Punk/Cena feud for me was just all about CM Punk. I know it was said above but punk really did carry Cena in this feud. And while their matches were great, they basically put on the same match 3 Times.

this is a great thread....now for my opinion.

Cena/Punk had all the hype heading into MITB, because it was Punk home crowd, but would it have been so hot in say Alanta? I dont think so. I did like the bulid up to the match with Punk going off on Vince and his family. Cena had little to do with the build up, he was just the champion at the time, all the build up came from vince and Punk. Orton/Christian had to me a better build up because at first u did sympathize with Christian being forced to defend his tittle just 5 days after winning it, then u started to boo him for whining about it so long. the ppv that had christian spitting in ortons face (and orton getting disqualified n losinng his belt via DQ) really rejuveniated (sorry if i mispelled that) the story line, and the 2 RKO's were AWESOME!!! After that of course u wanted Randy to get it back because really winning a tittle via DQ just makes a fan mad.
So to wrap it up with all the facts I have to say Orton/Christian was the better series, they were able to keep it between just the two of them (minus Edge calling Christian a b**ch) and their matches were the most technical out of the two series. Also it was the longer feud of the two, but I can say that if HHH didnt position himself into the feud with Punk I might have picked that one. Honestly for me it just comes down to the fact that Randy and Christian didnt need any help to hype the feud.

Orton vs Christian had more matches, and worked better with one another, whearas Cena vs Punk had better crowd reaction and it meant more. IT's a tough call, but i'd have to go Orton-Christian simply due to the fact that Orton is going to come out of this feud as the top babyface in WWE, while Cena and Punk are both now tweeners. Orton benefitted greatly from his feud with Christian, the Punk-Cena kinda blurred their futures. Could be a good thing, but i'm not so sure. Orton should be main eventing WrestleMania, not Cena.

It's hard to pick one if you analyze both of them closely. Punk and Cena have had a very hot feud and they have also had two great matches and two good TV main events as well. The feud has been hot both inside and outside the ring. Orton/ Christian on the other hand has been a feud that has mainly been driven by the in ring action. The story and the mic work has been good but of the cookie cutter type. The amount of drama behind this feud may not be comparable to the Punk/ Cena feud but the action inside the ring certainly was.

I feel that the future may be kinder to Orton/ Christian than the present was. This could very well end up being the feud that future generations will remember Christian for. With some luck and if this feud is rekindled in the future, Christian may also go down in history as Randy's greatest opponent. Punk/ Cena have had a great series of matches and every single one of them is worth watching but I think that future generations might only talk about their MITB bout.

I'll go with Punk vs Cena but it is really very close. The mic work between Punk and Cena edges out Orton vs Christian. I would say that I have been lucky to have witnessed both feuds live, though. I think either feud can match up with the best feuds of any generation.

I'm going with Orton and Christian. The crowd was hot for the MITB match between Cena and Punk but the match itself seemed so slow to me for some reason. It was like Miz vs. Cena at WM where you are just waiting and waiting for the finish. If they had the Summerslam-type match, I would probably put Cena/Punk first. Orton and Christian had great match after great match. They managed to switch things up without getting boring which is sometimes hard do do in a long feud. Orton had finally become interesting in the first time in a long time.

What a very good question... One that I don't think I'm going to be able to answer easily. I think I'm going to talk about both of them, and hope that by the end of it I've made my own decision. Here goes nothing!

Randy Orton vs. Christian: These two top Smackdown talents have had 6 title matches that have gotten us past the end of Spring and through the entire summer. Each match was unique, had a different end, and was technically sound throughout. Not only were the sound matches, they were incredibly entertaining as well! You could see the evolution of both men as they worked with each other for so long, with more and more hatred brewing between the two. Undoubtably this feud cemented Christian as a main event caliber talent, and gave him two title wins (even if they were short and people will complain about them). Randy Orton has, in the process, carried the World title better than most champions in the last 5 years on Smackdown and made his place at the top of the brand. 6 fantastic matches, 2 different champions, one underused star taken to the very top, and a rivalry that can be cashed in on for years to come.

John Cena vs. CM Punk: Like Christian, CM Punk was taken to the top of the WWE with this feud. But unlike Christian, Punk has drawn insane amounts of crowd reaction in the process. While they've had about half the matches that Orton and Christian have, the momentum they built going in and coming out was extraordinary. Their Summerslam match was incredible, and the Money in the Bank match was legendary. This was obviously the more high profile of the two feuds, and the hype going into the whole thing hasn't been seen in years. However, John Cena never really changed anything throughout the whole thing. He went in John Cena and came out John Cena.

Both feuds saw a top guy and a mid-card guy elevated to main event status. Both feuds saw fantastic matches over their respective World title. Both feuds saw great fan reaction and have relaunched interest in their respective brand. Randy Orton and Christian get an edge because of the amount of great matches they've been able to pull off and KEEP FRESH, but Cena and Punk get an edge because of controversy surrounding Punk and the Chicago match. It's a pretty close call...

I'm going to have to give this one to John Cena and CM Punk. I really really want to let Orton and Christian walk away with it all, but Punk's rise is unparalleled, and you can't count the MAYBE that Punk might fall in the future in a competition of what they have done in the past. In the end, Punk was elevated past Christian, and that's what I have to base the victory on. Because Cena and Orton stayed Cena and Orton (for the most part. Orton did really cement himself on the blue brand though...), but Punk has the slight possibility of becoming the next huge star in the WWE because of it. I said slight possibility for a reason...

Punk/Cena
Match Quality
Fantastic. Punk really has brought out the best of Cena. No more five moves of doom, none of that. Money In the Bank was a better match than Summerslam, to me. I assume you mean recently, not earlier in the year, so I won't judge that. Their match on Raw the other week was a great TV match.
Crowd Reaction
If you heard the reaction at Money In The Bank, this feud has much more of a crowd reaction. Plus, it's on the A show, so it automatically draws more interest.
These two have worked together before, so though I can't say if they have great chemistry, they don't seem awkward, they know their opponent's speed/style, so they work together very well in my book.

RKO/CC
Match Quality
These two have had a much more varied feud, meeting in No Holds Barred, cage matches, the DQ stip at MITB. Punk/Cena have only had 1on1 and one special referee match. But quality wise, the two put on great matches, yes, the best from Orton I have seen in a while. But Orton's a real brawler, while Christian is an all rounder, so they don't naturally gel. Christian can go toe to toe with Orton and make Orton look like the gold he was in '04 until 2010. But Punk and Cena are really opposite, and opposites do attract.

Crowd Reaction
The crowd wasn't as hot at MITB as it was for Punk/Cena, but at Summerslam I would say the crowd was hot for these two because of all of the hardcore spots. But Punk/Cena has been given much more interest, though Orton/Christian have had a very long feud in Modern WWE standards. To me, it's been too long. From Over The Limit, to SuperSmackdown, it's only been one on one. Sure, they have had steel cage and hardcore in the series, but I wanted to see this become a triangle or four way feud. Didn't happen.
Their styles don't gel. Christian is an all rounder, so he can go toe to toe with the brawler in Orton. But Punk/Cena kept switching the pace in their matches, much more than Orton/Christian did.
My vote goes to Punk/Cena.

CM Punk vs Cena was better for two reasons:

1: It was a lot more interesting. The promos were much better. Which isn't surprising since Orton acts like such a stiff during his promos.

2: Most importantly, it wasn't obvious who was going to actually win the fued. We all knew Orton was going to win the fued. They didn't even allow Christian to get a single clean victory over Orton. Orton basically just totally dominated the whole fued in typical over the top Mega Orton fashion.

When you already know one dude's going to dominate the fued, it drains all the life out of it for me. WWE didn't give Christian much pride for that fued. This was especially obvious during their last PPV, and the following couple weeks after. It seemed more like a forced long fued to quickly meet agreed upon title match numbers in Christian's contract agreement just to get them out of the way. I see no other reason for them to drag out such a one-sided fued for as long as they did. I liked seeing Christian have and compete for the title, but it was clear he had no chance to keep it. Again, not even a single clean victory. He just got dominated and emasculated throughout the fued, with his only wins being super cheap and empty ones.

Orton & Christian. Easily.

Cena VS Punk wins in one category and that is selling PPV buys for both MITB with all the confusion surrounding Punk's status in the WWE or whether he would leave as champion, and Summerslam for the Undisputed WWE Championship match.

Orton VS Christian, on the other hand, was the likely feud of the year. They had far superior match quality. There were a grand total of half a dozen matches. Three times as many as Cena/Punk got. I guarantee you that they would not have kept the fans interested the way that Orton/Christian did for as long as they did. Then there is match quality, the two of them stole the show at every single PPV this summer. Talk about having a great person to work with for both of them! As much as I liked the Cena/Punk feud, Orton VS Christian had the better series of the two.

Cena vs Punk in everything.
It gets the loudest reactions, it was a "mainstream vs underground" culture clash, and the matches also got the loudest reactions and, for what it's worth, 5 stars from the Observer. So if nothing else, it impressed the hell out of someone who fancies himself a pro wrestling connosseur (spelling is wrong on that word for sure).

Orton vs Christian has been a boatload of fun, but to me it's your normal "really really good fun" feud.

I have to go with Punk Cena as the Chicago match was one of the best in recent memory and they followed that up with a terrific bout at SS (although I wasn't a fan of the Kevin Nash run in or the ADR MITB win).

This is no knock on Christian / Orton by any means as they have had solid bouts. But it was pretty clear that Orton was going to continue to be put over and their matches became repetitive with similar endings each time.

Great summer for the WWE. They had two great feuds going on. Its tough to compare them because they were very different.

Orton vs Christian was one of the best in ring feuds in the WWE in a long time. The promos were solid but it was a simple storyline. The storyline was focused on Christian. He kept losing to Orton and the changes in his character because of the losses. But because of how incredible the matches were they could extend the program. They had the better matches.

Punk vs Cena had the better storyline. It was a once in a lifetime shocking storyline. You had a guy shooting at the company he works for, and at the face of the company. Vince was also involved and Punk was threatening to leave with the title. They had a great match at MITB and two very good matches at SS and Raw. IMO the ending at SS with Nash interfering and ADR walking out as champ, took away from it being just a Cena vs Punk rivalry.

The crowds were very into both series. The MITB crowd for Cena/Punk was the loudest. Cena and Punk was also a much shorter feud. The fact that Orton and Christian got the crowd into all 6 of their matches says alot.

Tough call but I voted Orton/Christian. I really enjoyed watching their matches.

Punk and Cena. I think the quality of the matches were both good but Cena and Punk didn't go at it PPV after PPV after PPV.. I think you get my point. Maybe if Orton could actually cut a decent promo for once instead of letting Christian be the only one that's actually entertaining everyone and building up the matches well then maybe they're matches would have been a little better and hyped well. Orton's entrance and promos/interviews are always my piss break. Sorry if I'm offending any of his fans here but he's just so goddamn boring. Though he makes up for it in the ring with his great talent I'll give him that.

Punk and Cena is probably the most memorable feud since Austin/Rock. The way Punk started this whole "reality" thing with his shoot was amazing and both build ups were fantastic and the matches didn't disappoint.

Punk/Cena hands down for me.

Orton/Christian was very good actually, but even that did not hold a candle to Punk/Cena. Punk/Cena got 2011's big angle, and they took the ball and frickin' galloped with it, and it truly stands out among recent angles at least of the past four years or so. The most recent summertime angle I properly remember before Nexus last year was Edge & Vickie's run on SD. I don't recall what was going on on Raw then, which I suppose is to Smackdown's commendation.

I think I just slightly prefer the MitB match to Summerslam - there was no reliance on shock value or random appearances from Kevin Nash to set the next angle up - it was a stand-alone piece in many ways, which is quite rare in the main event scene.

Wasn't as long as Orton/Christian, but that's no bad thing because I felt Orton/Christian start to get drawn out while we waited for Smackdown to build Mark Henry.

In-terms of in-ring performance, Christian and Randy Orton have had the best feud within the WWE in recent years, maybe even going back as far as Angle and Michaels. They've had very well put together, back-and-forth bouts, from their match on Smackdown to the culmination in the Steel Cage. They've made them all work and have really shined throughout. Orton's been shown in a new light, as a great in-ring performer as has Christian, but I think Christian has also proven he deserves to be in the Main Event picture. Overall in-reference to the matches, its been Christian vs. Randy Orton.

While in-terms of entertainment and suspense, Punk vs. Cena has been one of the most entertaining and exciting angles in quite a few years. Maybe a decade, it's personal preference. They've broken walls, said things they shouldn't, shown that even though Punk has fallen into the tweener role and Cena is playing a face, that they can't really get along. Its branched out into the ADR and Nash feuds for both men respectively and I don't see Punk and Cena ending for awhile, I think they'll always end up going back to one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back