• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is the most Underrated Superstar Today?

The Extract

So many people in WWE are not being given a chance to succseed. Yet people like Hornswoggle get more TV time than people like Curt Hawkins, Yoshi Tatsu, and more. To me, those are the most underrated superstars. So who is the most underrated superstar? Here is a list of people who to me is the most underrated(I'm only doing the current WWE Roster, not including superstars who haven't debuted on Raw or Smackdown):

Curt Hawkins: He and Tyler Reks should have been way bigger than they were! They had great chemistry in the ring, and if you listen to some promos on NXT, then you will agree how underrated he is!

Drew McIntyre: To me, he is the most underrated superstar in todays WWE. He has a good look, and he is pretty good in the ring. His promos are better than some people that are being given the chances he is not(Ted Dibiase Jr.).

Jack Swagger: A former World Champ. He was just pushed too soon. They should have given him time to develope as Mr. Money in the Bank before letting him become champion!

Hunico: He is great in the ring. He may not be the best technical wrestler, or the best mic-worker, but he is a great high-flyer. I would have rather seen him and Epico than Primo and Epico.

Jimmy and Jey Uso: Great tag team. Could use some help on the mic. But too good to be on NXT.

Michael McGillicutty: Second in the race for the most underrated. Michael needs to be Joe.

Trent Barretta: Not even on NXT! That is how underrated this guy is!

Tyson Kidd: Third! Great performer, has had some great feuds! He should be on TV. Now.

Yoshi Tatsu: He had a good in-ring feud(though it had the STUPIDEST storyline *almost* ever!) with Tyson Kidd, and is popular with the Japanese fan base.

Kofi Kingston: Great in the ring but they need to get him out of the tag team and push him as a solo superstar. I think it would be great if turned heel.

I'm going to say Jinder Mahal. I hated him when i first saw him, but now i'm warming to this guy all the time. He has a great Heel look about him. WWE is lacking some quality heels and i think Jinder could be the new Alberto Del Rio. His entrance music is great, but the entrance itself could do with Re-Packaging i think. WWE are also rumoured to be pushing this guy pretty soon.

If Shelton Benjamin was still in the WWE, he would've been my first pick. Seriously, the guy could do stuff people with the same build couldn't do. Who else with his build could perform the Dragon Whip without losing his balance, springboard off the top rope and jump from the top rope to a ladder/from one ladder to another?

But since Shelton's no longer in the WWE, I'd go with Michael McGillicutty. They've been acknowledging him as Curt Hennig's son since his first day in NXT, yet they haven't even given him the chance to reintroduce the Mr. Perfect Gimmick. Let him use his real name Joe Hennig (or at least drop that stupid "McGillicutty" name), repackage him into something similar to the Mr. Perfect Gimmick - The Perfect Son (credit goes to Winds-of-Change), allow him reintroduce the Perfect Plex, make him shoot a Basketball without looking in his entrance video like Curt, and there you go: Storylines and feuds would be waiting to happen with this gimmick. Sure, adopting your dad's gimmick has been done to death, some even failed, but this strategy could work if it's done right.

Jack Swagger would've been a close second though. I actually found his Money-in-the-Bank win and World Heavyweight Championship Reign enjoyable to watch. What sucked was that he lost the WHC too fast. He could've had a decent four-month world title reign like The Miz.

Easy! Kofi Kingston! I don't even need to explain why he's underrated but I will. He's fantastic in the ring bu then developmental dropped the ball in his story lines and then wrapped him up in the now-irrelevant, terrible tag team picture.
P.S. Jinder Mahal is the worst superstar I have seen in the WWE in a loooooong time. What heel look? You mean the look of being a perma-angry Middle Easterner? You mean like the same look the Iron Sheik or Muhammad Hassan had.......you are definitely free to voice your opinion but I have never been more bored by anyone's character, look, in-ring work, mic skills or any other feature that may help someone be successful in the business because he doesn't have any. No disrespect to you at all, total and complete respect to Mahal and his terrible character. I would bring back Steve Austin's boring chant he used to do for Lance Storm but Mahal isn't even worth the minute bit of energy it takes to utter the word.

I'm not going to disagree that McGillicutty is underrated. He has some solid in ring skills. However he requested to use that name. Him not going by his given name and playing off his dad's namesake is all his choice.

Drew McIntyre was pushed too fast too soon. He has skills but they should have held off on his push.

Alex Riley: He wasn't exactly the best in the ring, but that was mainly due to his booking. He should've wrestled more often during his run as Miz's lackey. His ring skills once he got pushed might not have been so sloppy, if they had him working the midcard instead of being used as basically a glorified non-wrestler for months and then suddenly tossing him into the deep end. He's improved immensely, but he still isn't being pushed. He deserves to at least be in a JTTS role, losing in competitive efforts to the likes of Alberto Del Rio, Daniel Bryan, Big Show.

Jack Swagger: Jack Swagger WAS pushed too soon, however, he DID manage to take the ball and run with it. It was his booking AFTER the title reign that messed up his momentum. He has pretty good charisma and mannerisms.

Zack Ryder: I'll admit that he doesn't excite me in the ring. And he doesn't have much to offer promo-wise other than spouting catchphrases. But he's pretty charismatic and entertaining in spite of those weaknesses. Even if he's just gonna be used as a jobber, he deserves to be on the main shows every week. I liked how he took the initiative to make a YouTube show to get his name out there. The only problem is now he's stuck as "That YouTube Guy" and really isn't given the chance to do much else.

I'm not going to disagree that McGillicutty is underrated. He has some solid in-ring skills. However, he requested to use that name. Him not going by his given name and playing off his dad's namesake is all his choice.

If this is true, then I'll have a newfound respect for McGillicutty. He may be admirable for choosing not to use the Hennig name, but it's not gonna get him noticed. I guess this would be the reason why he's been underrated.

Easy! Kofi Kingston! I don't even need to explain why he's underrated but I will. He's fantastic in the ring bu then developmental dropped the ball in his story lines and then wrapped him up in the now-irrelevant, terrible tag team picture.
P.S. Jinder Mahal is the worst superstar I have seen in the WWE in a loooooong time. What heel look? You mean the look of being a perma-angry Middle Easterner? You mean like the same look the Iron Sheik or Muhammad Hassan had.......you are definitely free to voice your opinion but I have never been more bored by anyone's character, look, in-ring work, mic skills or any other feature that may help someone be successful in the business because he doesn't have any. No disrespect to you at all, total and complete respect to Mahal and his terrible character. I would bring back Steve Austin's boring chant he used to do for Lance Storm but Mahal isn't even worth the minute bit of energy it takes to utter the word.

So because Jinder Mahal hasn't got the inflated body that Hassan or Shiek had he doesn't have a heel look ? Interesting. Oh and his Mic skills suck? maybe so but i can't even remember the last time Kofi Kingston had a Microphone in his hand. Infact the only thing that makes me think of Kingston is when he is saying "Don't try this kids" or when he is giving cuddly wrestling toys out to members of the audience. I to respect your opinion that Kofi is your pick as the most underrated. His ring skills are indeed excellent.

There are a lot of underrated and/or underused guys on the roster that have a lot of talent and ability. Probably the two most obvious, at least in my eyes, right now are Jack Swagger and Drew McIntyre.

I think Swagger's biggest problem all in all is that he's been a consistent victim of bad booking choices. As a result, he's often labeled as someone that's not really worth having around. However, that line of thought quickly disappears whenever we see Swagger given a chance to work a good long match against a meaningful opponent. Swagger is very good inside the ring. He has a good, natural look about him and he can work well with just about anybody. The WWE has used him as a jobber for much of his career and I don't really understand why. I'm not saying that he's the greatest, but he's certainly much better than how he's mostly been used would demonstrate.

Drew McIntyre is someone that's got all the tools. He has a great look, he's big, he's strong, he's athletic and he can go inside the ring. McIntyre's biggest problem has always lied with his promo abilities. The fact that he was given a major push right out of the gate before he was ready has set his career back in my opinion. He didn't have the chops on the mic or really in the ring to be IC champ. Since then, however, McIntyre has improved by leaps and bounds inside the ring. He paces himself better, his timing is spot on, he sells well and just had a good solid chemistry with just about everybody he wrestles. He's gotten pretty good at using his facial expressions & body language to help tell a story. I think if he's able to bring his promo abilities up, then he'd just be a damn good all around guy. One thing with McIntyre is that he's still incredibly young. The WWE has had problems in the past with really pushing very young guys and ultimately having them peak too soon. Look at Cena & Orton, for instance. It's especially true with Randy Orton as he's only in his early 30s, yet he's already a 9 time World Champion.

Curt Hawkins is also someone that's underrated in my eyes. He's a guy that's just good all around abilities. The WWE is obviously impressed with what he brings inside the ring because Hawkins was the guy that was working with The Rock to help him get back into ring shape for his match with John Cena at WrestleMania. He can speak well on the mic, he's athletic and he's just all around very solid inside the ring. Hawkins is someone that can do quite well at this time as a mid-carder or as part of the tag team scene.

There are some others but these are the three that most jump out oat me right now.

Curt Hawkins: He and Tyler Reks should have been way bigger than they were! They had great chemistry in the ring, and if you listen to some promos on NXT, then you will agree how underrated he is!
Hawkins usually looks bloated & chubby. His in-ring work comes off as sloppy & careless. Honestly if it wasn't for this guys passion for the buisness & the fact he has SO MUCH room to grow, he should have been let go awhile ago.

Drew McIntyre: To me, he is the most underrated superstar in todays WWE. He has a good look, and he is pretty good in the ring. His promos are better than some people that are being given the chances he is not(Ted Dibiase Jr.).
I will agree with McIntyre being underrated. But I can see where Vince is coming from now. There are so many new talents & McIntyre pretty much floundered all his title reigns, oppritunities, etc.

Jack Swagger: A former World Champ. He was just pushed too soon. They should have given him time to develope as Mr. Money in the Bank before letting him become champion!
This HAS to be my pick. Swagger is a solid worker. Could easily be a top heel in WWE. I think it is his poor acting holding him back. (Less-Athletic JoMo syndrome?)

Hunico: He is great in the ring. He may not be the best technical wrestler, or the best mic-worker, but he is a great high-flyer. I would have rather seen him and Epico than Primo and Epico.
Underrated, Yes. Should be more than a long reiging tag camp, I think not.

Jimmy and Jey Uso: Great tag team. Could use some help on the mic. But too good to be on NXT.
If I could think of a single thing they have done that meant ANYTHING, I would say I agreed.

Michael McGillicutty: Second in the race for the most underrated. Michael needs to be Joe.
"Joe" isn't ready IMO. But I just saw him live at Axxess and he has DEFINATELY IMPROVED! Which is the true sign of developing a craft!

Trent Barretta: Not even on NXT! That is how underrated this guy is!
I will agree. He is better than Hawkins, Mahal, Khali, Horswoggle, etc.

Tyson Kidd: Third! Great performer, has had some great feuds! He should be on TV. Now.
Once again, I feel like you can't agrue with Vince here. Kidd has gotten some chances & seemed like a boring, uncharasmatic, spot monkey every time. I really like Kidd, but his "gimmick"(if he even has one besides being young & Canadian) is SORELY lacking!

Yoshi Tatsu: He had a good in-ring feud(though it had the STUPIDEST storyline *almost* ever!) with Tyson Kidd, and is popular with the Japanese fan base.
Another one that has been given little to no chance. He is good, funny, & foreign, I thought was everything ANYONE needed to make it in WWE?

As for others...

Zack Ryder: is WAY underrated! I know alot of people that thought he was becoming overrated but that didn't last long. This guy sells merch, is entertainging in EVERYTHING he does outside the ring, and is solid in the ring. He should easily be a top tier mid-carder.

Alex Riley: Should have been US champ. Could easily be Tag Champ. I quess sticking up to Cena loses yourself a career.
(Whether it is true or not, I respect ANYONE that would stick up to that over-grown, joke of a man, and not let themselves be pushed around by someone who thinks the "5 Knuckle Shuffle" is good & entertaining wreslting. Everyone can like Cena if they want but I wouldn't let ANYONE treat me poorly, especially one that I didn't respect in the ring , I don't care how much leverage or power you have in the Wrestling World.)

I agree with Jack Hammer, McCyntire and Swagger are two of the most underrated superstars in the WWE, because they both have a tremendous amount of talent, Drew has the potential to be a top heel, too bad whatever Tiffany did cost him deerly, because he was on his way to the top, and Jack Swagger, like many people said, he got pushed too soon, i don't know if i'm accurate with this, but i think that there is a posibility that he also must have rub somebody the wrong way, that is why he's probably in the doghouse as well, and another superstar who is underrated is Riley, he has the look and the talent, but somehow he blew it with someone from the top, and i don't mention Tyler Reks because he retired, but talk about someone who was underrated.......

JTG - At one time Cryme Tyme was really over, and they were on the verge of winning the Tag Team championship... But Vince did a break up angle, so he could push Shad, then fire him. Ever since JTG has been a dedicated Jobber, relegated to nxt and Superstars. Why not release him and let him try TNA?

Zack Ryder - he is the most over midcarder on the roster, throw him a bone. I don't know why he was depushed. I don't see why he isn't in a midcard title feud.

The WWE makes far more money with Ryder not having a push than they do putting him on TV each week. You are right, he is over, but part of the reason he is so over is because fans love to root for that underdog story, and Ryder in his current position fits that to a tee

I have to go with Jack Swagger and Tyson Kidd. They are both great in the ring. Swagger is pretty good on the mic. I havent really heard Kidd that much on the mic to give my honest opinion on it. But I think these two should be the ones pushed right now.

I would say Alex Riley, he is pretty good in ring and was really good on the mic when he teamed with the Miz and a good backstory as well. With some more training and experience I think he could make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back