When will a TNA Original win the World Title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormtrooper

Championship Contender
This is my first thread I am starting, and I am surprised it is in the TNA section. Anyway, here is my post (with a question)
I am guilty of not watching TNA much (every time I try to watch, their booking leaves so much to be desired that I don't consistently tune in). However, the biggest problem with TNA (in my opinion) is the fact that the former WWE/WCW stars (I do not want to call them rejects, because guys like Sting, Foley, Angle aren't rejects) are the only guys who are winning the world title. TNA, since it's inception, has only given 4 of its "creations" the World Title, AJ Styles, Abyss, Samoa Joe, and Ron Killings (who was nothing more then a jobber before he came to TNA). Since TNA went to Spike TV in 2005, Abyss held the title for 2 months, and Samoa Joe for 6 months. Every other titleholder has been a wrestler who was "made" by another company.

WCW's downfall was never making any stars not named Goldberg. TNA has made some "stars" in Abyss, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, and Christopher Daniels (who could all win the world title tomorrow); however they are sort-of wasting away in the mid-card, because TNA gives an old Sting, an over-the-hill Mick Foley, then a not-over-the-hill Kurt Angle the World Title.

I know it is doubtful, but if these guys contracts were coming up, WWE could potentially tell them to come to the #1 company, and we will use you better, AND make you MUCH more money (which they can do easily). If TNA lost their young stars like Abyss (who McMahon would love because of his size) and AJ Styles, I doubt the company would be around in 2 years, when the "old guard" finally hangs it up.

What do you guys think? Does TNA need to give their own guys a chance, or am I over-thinking things?

I think in this case he's not necessarily talking about TNA Originals as in someone who's first company was TNA, but rather wrestlers who didn't come from WWE and/or WCW (or possibly even the old ECW).

Within the past couple years that I've been paying attention to TNA I've seen a few similarities with WCW. The first I noticed was that they occasionally took stabs at the WWE (ie. the Voodo Kin Mafia), much like how Eric Bischoff challenged Vince back in WCW.

This is another example. They have some good talent that didn't get big in the other major companies (again, WWE, WCW, and ECW...and a couple dark matches doesn't count), such as Styles, Joe, Abyss, and Daniels. As stated though it seems like TNA wants to push the already established superstars, such as Nash, Angle, and Sting. I'd love to see these guys put over the younger stars and give them title runs but I'm wondering how long it'll be before that happens again. Then again I don't constantly watch TNA so maybe I'm missing something.

Well Joe was the tna champion for awhile. He was the only original to hold the belt not counting the nwa days. But I think when they do have aj or someone else win the belt for the 1st time would you rather have them pin Daniels or pin Kurt a multi-time champ? When it will happen I don't know. But I would like it if aj is the next original to be champ.

Personally, I think AJ Styles will win the World title at the main event at Bound for Glory. They just took the Legends title from him and is already building him up as a contender from what I read on the spoilers on WZ.com. I also think this is the only logical choice TNA can make other than Hernandez.

I think in this case he's not necessarily talking about TNA Originals as in someone who's first company was TNA, but rather wrestlers who didn't come from WWE and/or WCW (or possibly even the old ECW).

That's precisely what I meant. Somebody that TNA didn't make is always the champ.

Well Joe was the tna champion for awhile. He was the only original to hold the belt not counting the nwa days. But I think when they do have aj or someone else win the belt for the 1st time would you rather have them pin Daniels or pin Kurt a multi-time champ? When it will happen I don't know. But I would like it if aj is the next original to be champ.

I am not saying move the belt from "TNA Original" to "TNA Original." What I am saying is just give them a chance. let Styles pin Angle, and then hold the belt for 6 months (constantly going over guys like Angle, Foley, and Sting), he will be a bona-fide superstar, and one that you can build around for the next decade. When he would lose the belt, he could afford to lose it to another ""TNA Original" without losing any heat.

I would rather see the old guard fighting for this "Legends" title, this way a LEGEND is holding it at all times.

Personally, I think AJ Styles will win the World title at the main event at Bound for Glory. They just took the Legends title from him and is already building him up as a contender from what I read on the spoilers on WZ.com. I also think this is the only logical choice TNA can make other than Hernandez.

I just read the spoilers for the next 2 weeks, and that's what I hope happens, but unfortunately, since this is TNA, I won't believe it until I see it. AJ Styles is the most deserving person to hold the world title in the TNA locker room.

I think Hernandez is really good, but since he just came off the injury, I think he needs to get back into the swing of things for a while before he gets the World Title. Which is why I would like to see AJ Styles win it again.

A TNA original will win the belt when the time is right. People talk about Sting holding the belt but these little kids that watch TNA now won't look at Sting as a WCW star because they may have no idea what it is and they definitely can't look at him as a WWE guy because he's never been there, so to me, Sting being celebrated and holding the title is as good as a TNA original holding the title. Because let's face it, when Sting retires he'll have that TNA stigma attached to him. If not for adults who grew up on him in WCW, then the fans coming up now will see it that way.

And what is it with people always saying I don't watch TNA or I don't watch much TNA? Do you not watch tv, do you not like prowrestling, or do you say that because you think it makes you sound cool? I mean seriously, people claim they don't watch or barely watch but yet are the same ones making comments about the product like experts.

Personally I would like to see Daniels as champion. Daniels has never held the TNA world title (I think). If TNA gives him the chance he can be a the third Grandslam Champ. The first being AJ Styles and Kurt Angle was the first to hold all titles at once.

OK I want to point this out now because it hasn't been mentioned at all when it comes to not having an "original" holding the world title and running with the ball...
The reason is quite simple "BIG NAMES = Ratings" right now the concept TNA is using is have the big names in there because your familiar with names like Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Sting, Nash, Booker T. those are your names that people as big stars of wrestling. They just snagged Taz from WWE after his 90 days was up and that is how WCW became more popular, and they are using a similar road map for this because guys like Jeff Jarrett and Nash were there during the rise of WCW, and the originals are like the cruiserweights they are there to draw you into the action, and yeah at some point you can see an original holding the title.
Personally I think AJ is the first canidate as of this point just because he is the only man in TNA's originals seasoned for the belt still, but they won't take the title off an extremely established star unless its done in the right concept, which means a 8 man where whoever scores the pin is the champ, or making it look like a fluke victory (John Cena in his inception to WWE with ruthless aggression)
So I would just wait and watch all the originals because if you watch what they are allowing them to do its the same stepping stones all the WWE stars did in their day...

Ok Stormtrooper has a point Abyss they should push him majorly before WWE gets him to feud with Underfaker and tarnish Abyss forever ! Hell no he is stuck in useless feuds with Matt Morgan and now Dr Stevie! Raven would be great to win TNA titles ala STING
But Abyss needs to win the title again then perhaps bring back Judas Mesias as it was an interesting feud that got me interested in following TNA I see Judas Mesias winning a TITLE as well! AJ Styles definitely will win the TNA Title if theypush him right and perhaps give Christoper Daniels a title shot as well! As for Sharkboy lol where is he?
he should win the X Division Title but I think TNA should push Amazing Red for the X Title since he has been jobbing lately geeeez come on !

It's all well and good comparing what TNA are doing to WCW, but we all saw what happened when WCW didn't let the younger guys come up. If TNA aren't careful they'll have no stars. They need to use the Angles and Nash's etc to make new stars. Having MEM pretty much dominate the Victory Road PPV has killed any momentum any of the workers they beat. There was no need to take the belts off Beer Money. Nash beating AJ was a joke and reminded me of WCW. Nash was never great, but now he's past his best by 15 years or so. The only person TNA seem to give a shit about at the moment who wasn't a former WWE/F/WCW star is Samoa Joe. When you consider the matches TNA used to put on, and you see the matches they are now putting on, it's only a matter of time before they go the way of WCW - unless they wake up and realise that these big stars are here that are past their best, use them to build up new stars or very soon, they'll have none. Joe is the only guy any of the older guys seem to agree to lose to.

People that need to be pushed better in TNA:
Matt Morgan
Abyss
AJ Styles
Daniels

I get pretty sick of people bitching about the old guys in TNA. You know what? If they didn't have Sting, Nash, Angle and such, they wouldn't have a tv deal either! AJ and Joe are the only young guns that should be anywhere near the title at the moment. They will get their shots, like they have had in the past, but you can't base the entire show on people the casual wrestling don't know.

When will a TNA original get the title? AJ Styles and Abyss held the title when it was the Nwa/TNA title. Joe has had the TNA title, so there you go. But I know when will another TNA original get a reign.

Well other than Joe or AJ I don't know that anyone's ready just yet (or they haven't been utilized correctly). Joe didn't seem to do all that well with it when he had his shot. I love AJ but really, can you really see him as the top guy? Maybe if he had a manager. As much as I hate to say it, his southern accent is a bid drawback. He's also been pushed and dropped so many times that I just think his time has passed. I hope I'm wrong, I hope he gets a shot and excels at it.

Other than them who do you think the mainstream will buy as a champion. I LOVE Christopher Daniels, but he just will not be over as a champion. Abyss could I guess, but I think he is best with a manager like James Mitchell. With work I could see Robert Roode, James Storm, and Matt Morgan as titles contenders...just not yet.

Angle, Sting, Booker (even though he hasn't held it), Christian when he was there, and even Jarret and Foley are more credible as champions. Yes, they should be building TNA originals as contenders who pose a credible threat to these guys, but they just are not good doing that. Hopefully this will change.

So this is about how long until the old guys put over the young guys. This is what the MEM storyline is heading to. When guys like Booker, Steiner and Nash lose their titles then they'll be kicked out of the mafia.

But anyway, I think that Angle will drop the title to AJ nearer the end of the year. Either AJ or Joe (If he turns on the mafia).

I love Daniels but in my opinion he is more valuable in the X-Division.

I think AJ is great to but since I have been a fan of TNA for a while now I remember his NWA (before they called the title TNA's) Title runs so for me him winning the title is nothing new.

Now Hernandez could be the guy to be given a title reign. He is fresh, exciting in the ring and has a great look. If any TNA orginal gets a World Title run it should be Hernandez.

Because currently the old guys are better for business, people know who they are and they've still got a few years left in front of them.

Guy's like Angle and Sting are still huge names, they give TNA a kind of credibility and they are people that guys like me actually give a shit about, so if I realise that Sting is the TNA champion I might think it's worth a look. If however I see TNA advertising AJ Styles as their champion and I've never watched TNA before, I cant say as I am going to care too much.

The day will come when the younger guys have the credibility to carry the companies, they just gotta wait for the older guys to lay some more groundwork and prestige.

I get pretty sick of people bitching about the old guys in TNA. You know what? If they didn't have Sting, Nash, Angle and such, they wouldn't have a tv deal either! AJ and Joe are the only young guns that should be anywhere near the title at the moment. They will get their shots, like they have had in the past, but you can't base the entire show on people the casual wrestling don't know.

Thank You. The same goes for any wrestling company, WWE included. If ECW was the only show that WWE had without any of their popular wrestlers it would fail completely, people don't like the fact for a new company to kick start popularity they need household names that people know or grew up on watching, Sting, Angle, Nash, etc.

If you read the spoilers for this week's Impact tapings, you'll see a TNA original is getting a main event push. Hopefully that will shut everyone up.

Either AJ or Matt Morgan will have a title shot at the next payperview. I like that they are using those two the way they are. The one I would like to see pushed is Eric Young. He has shown great potential but has never really been given any true respect or a chance to make an impact by creative AKA Jeff Jarrett.

I think the young guys can make an impact for TNA if given a chance and Eric Young could be part of that.

when russo is gone a member of the mem will not be carying the belt

Yeah that makes sense being that Russo is the one who pushed guys like Jarrett, Booker T, and Scott Steiner to the forefront at the time when veterans didn't want to give up their spot.:rolleyes: Please!

I am not saying get rid of all the old guys/guys from other companies. What I am saying is make your own stars by having the young guys go OVER the old guys.

I agreed with bringing in the old guys, and putting them in the main event, but do we need to see old guys wrestle each other, pushing the young guys down the card? The company would be better served having the young guys (Styles, Abyss, Joe, Daniels, Matt Morgan) go over the old guys. AJ Styles would be a made man if he pinned Kurt Angle for the title at the upcoming PPV (if he is in it).

WWE did this with John Cena. They gave him the US title at WrestleMania XX, and by WrestleMania 21, he was given the WWE title (going over JBL), and they kept putting him over established guys (like Angle and HHH) until he became the top guy for the company. Are people here saying that TNA can't do that with AJ Styles? Give him the belt at he PPV, then have him wrestle, and beat CLEANLY, Angle, Sting, Foley, and Jarrett (if he is still in the company). Pretty soon, they could start putting AJ Styles out there as the face of the company, as supposed to guys who were big stars elsewhere.

I'm sorry but the young guys are going OVER the old guys such as Samoa Joe cleanly beating Sting, Matt Morgan going over Daniels, and even though Beer Money and AJ/Daniels have lost their last matches they were pretty much on a winning streak beating Team 3D and Daniels/AJ beating MEM in the past. Samoa Joe and AJ Styles were champions before but were never over. Like a lot of people have said already you have to push your familiar main event stars first so people will be interested and tuning in then you can push AJ, Morgan, or Daniels later on. Which I feel Daniels is pretty much doomed to mid card status IMO. Yeah Angle, Sting, and Foley have been champions but they're not invincible they have lost cleanly and jobbed to many people in the past. I mean you can't say the same about Triple H or Cena nowadays since they haven't jobbed to anyone lately.

To those who are "sick of reading about how people hate the older guys" don't come to a public message board. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so deal with it.

Firstly, for the record I never said I hated the older guys. What I said is they are past their best, anyone want to disagree with that? Look at Nash, look at Steiner banged up and can do the bare minimal in the ring (ok Steiner can pull out a few more moves than Nash but he certainly can't go like he used to). Yes they do bring in the "casual" crowd but how long before the "casual" crowd start thinking TNA is just another WCW and tune out? I am not anti-TNA, in fact I watch it more than I do WWE so I'm not just saying this crap to jump on an anti-TNA bandwagon, I'm saying it because I want to see the promotion make a few of it's own stars in order for them to grow when the veterans have decided to hang up the boots.

Having the likes of Nash etc in a start up promotion to get them noticed is one thing, but TNA have been around 7 years so should be in a position to have made some of their own main eventers that can draw a decent crowd by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back