• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA World Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOSS Productions

Pre-Show Stalwart
Once again I am unaware if this topic has been done before but here goes.

Warning: Some may find this topic stupid and pointless

OK so I am getting ready to watch TNA again after the huge Hulkamania news and I have been wondering do you think he will win the world title from AJ Styles? See its not a matter of there is a possibility but in the sense that TNA may do it to add more prestige to title and by giving legendary wrestlers the title it would add more prestige to title so that when a newcomer wins it , the title will feel more like an accomplishment. Think about it, I can understand Kurt Angle winning the title but Mick Foley, yes Foley is good but it did not make sense for him to win it from Sting just so that he can go back to putting over talent and you can't say that isn't true Foley put over Evoultion at WM 20 , Edge at WM 22 and Abyss at BFG that is what he is best at right now so think TNA does this to add prestige to the title by giving it to Legends.

So the question to be answered:
Does TNA give the world title to Legends such as Mick Foley just to add prestige to the title or because they think Legends like Mick Foley deserve it based on the time they spent in TNA and what they have accomplished since that time ?

No, Hogan should not win the title from AJ Styles. If Sting didn't win it from him at BFG, then he shouldn't drop it Hogan. AJ is being groomed as the future of TNA, and if he loses to Hogan, it will kill all the momentum he's trying to build now. As far as TNA giving the title to Foley, I think It was just to shake things up, and further the storyline between him and Jeff Jarett, and you have to remeber, when he was champion, he was going mad with power. But to answer your question, I think TNA put the belt on Foley because of his accomplishments in the buisness. I like Mick, but he's not a bigger name than Sting, and sure is hell is not a bigger name than Hogan. But if you take a look at Nash, I think his run as Legends champ was based on name value. Sure he had a nice run in WWF as HBK's sidekick, and WWF champ, and was a pretty good heel in WCW. But still I don't think he's as big as Sting. So what I am trying to say is it really depends on who you are, and how big you were at one time or another in wrestling, if TNA or any other promotion wants to add prestige to their world title.

If Hulk can go Sting-level Fulltime, than I would be open to accepting a Hulkamania title run, but I think TNA can use Hogan in other ways that does not rely on him becoming a world champion in TNA.

I think Hogan can legitimately have feuds with Desmond Wolfe, Matt Morgan, The British Invasion, Eric Young or any of The World Elite guys. A feud between The World Elite and Hogan would be golden. Matt Morgan, I think, can benefit the most from a feud with Hogan and according to his Twitter, he can't wait to work with him.

I can also see main event tag feuds with AJ Styles and Hulk Hogan battling Samoa Joe and Kevin Nash, for instance on PPV. People will pay to see Hogan in any capacity. People see this as Hogan vs ???, but really, tag matches would be better for his health and the promotion.

Just getting beaten by Hogan can raise your stock. Look at Randy Orton, the last guy on WWE television to lose to Hogan. 4 Years Later, he is a multi-time WWE Champion and one of the most over heels in the business.

Imagine a PPV match with Hulk Hogan and Bobby Lashley vs Doug Williams and Brutus Magnus for the tag titles? It would be super beneficial for all those guys to get in the ring with Hogan.

Then you got possibly an inevitable Samoa Joe vs Hulk Hogan feud. Just having Samoa Joe bloody up Hogan on television would get him over, no matter the outcome of a match between the two.

I also wouldn't mind to have that WrestleMania V rematch with Black Machismo Jay Lethal vs Hulk Hogan, or a dream match between Shark Boy and Hulk Hogan, if they wanted to go that route. That would make some funny TV matches.

From reports i've read AJ isnt happy with the way he's being booked as TNA Champion right now so to have him drop the belt to Hogan would seem like creative shooting themselves in the foot to continually upset their top talent. To answer the question I don't think that having Hogan/Foley/Sting hold the TNA title add's prestige to that particular belt because in my opinion prestige comes with time. The TNA World Title is only technically 2-3years old (7 if you count the NWA belt). Hogan holding the TNA title is kinda like The Rock holding the WCW title, in my opinion it doesn't really mean anything.

To actually anwser your question like you asked not stating weather or not hulk should win the belt or if legends should(no offense guys but thats what you did)

They really dont do that to often. Sting has held the belt abit because well he can still go and put on some good matchs. Foley had a short run that really just lasted with a fued with sting and that was it. He lost it at a KOTM match after the fued was over. It was more of a way to show Cactus Jack comming out and showing that foley is crediable when he become cactus jack. Besides that it is on the AJ styles,Joes,Angles,etc. So no they dont do that.

Sure. And if we are truly blessed, we can get Brian Knobbs and Ed Leslie as tag champs too! :)

All kidding aside, having Hogan feud for, and fail to win, the TNA championship might have some benefits. It would put over the title and put over Hogan's opponent. It would also send the message that the best in TNA are as good or better than one of the best of all time....in other words, that they can hang with the 'big boys'. I wouldn't be interested in a 'Hogan vs ?' feud personally, as I don't enjoy watching Hogan. But anything that helps TNA is ok with me.

However, I think putting the title on Hogan would be a bad idea. First of all, I have never liked the idea of giving a companies highest honor to a guy who has just breezed into the company and who may not be staying long. It's sort of like Universities giving out honorary degrees....a publicity stunt rewarding someone for being famous by casually handing to them an honor that others have labored long years for. Also, there
is absolutely zero need for Hulk Hogan to be heavyweight champion. Those who want to see Hulk Hogan will tune in regardless of his position in the company. You could then use the heavyweight title to build other talent that fans will want to go on watching after Hogan's time in TNA is done. And while you could theoretically have Hogan win the title only to 'pass the torch' down the line.....I'm just going to come right out and say it. They already did it with Sting. And this was also the entire point of the MEM...for the younger guys to step up and grab the torch from the old-guard. This is not the right time for the older generation to be yanking the torch right back. AJ needs to remain 'the man' in TNA right now. If he is treated like the top star in the same company as a guy like Hulk Hogan, it WILL boost his credibility.

There is, however, a title in TNA that I wouldn't mind seeing Hogan compete for, which he could elevate by holding it, and which would make perfect sense for him to compete for. The legend's title. If that belt needs to exist at all, then having Hogan win it seems to fit logically with the supposed purpose and significance of the title.

Edit: I think I misread the question being asked. If the question was WHY does TNA give the heavyweight title to established stars without much of a background in TNA, I think it is based on the assumption that fans will be more likely to tune in if the show is centered around an established personality. I think this assumption is incorrect, as I tried to point out in this post. Established draws can generate interest without being center-stage, and making them the centerpiece can actually draw attention away from what the show should be really promoting.....the guys who will be with the company for years to come. You use celebrities in advertising to draw attention to your product...not to promote the celebrities.

Yeah I don't think Hogan needs the title his first night there or anything. But I think its inevitably going to happen whether it needs to or not. Hogan is the biggest name in Wrestling history. If he never holds the top title in TNA will people even remember he was there. Booker T was never TNA champion and people will soon forgot he ever wrestled for the promotion. Hogan should and will at somepoint wbe TNA champion just not until AJ Styles has a proper reign. I'm not sure when that ends.

The TNA World Heavy Weight Title should be held by the best in the company. Styles, Daniels, Joe, Angel, Wolfe, Morgan, Foley, and Sting have more skill and can do more with the title than Hogan. End of story. He might get a run at the Legends Title but he just is not good enough to carry the Heavy Weight Title. Right now it should be on the best wrestler in the business today, AJ Styles. People tune in to see Hogan but stay because of the awesome matches of Styles, Angel and Wolfe. At this stage of his career Hogan=midcard. The best he can do is a good match against Sting or Foley.

Cody Rhodes American's Dream, WWE's Night Mare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back