• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What the fuck is wrong with our posters?

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
It's one thing to create threads in the non-spam sections based on headlines you saw on the main page. It's another to create said threads and only cut and paste the headline and then write "Discuss."

If you're going to make a thread about the headlines, how about you create a TOPIC OF DISCUSSION on the matter? Or is that too difficult?!?

Lazy fucking posters... I hate them. I miss when we actually had good posters on this site.

I think this says more about our absurd standards than anything. That sort of thing is a common practice on most other boards.

Actually, IDR does more for pushing discussion than most other posters on this site. Not only does he post headlines but he moderates the entire section and also creates threads on his own while posting intelligently in others' thread.

Actually, IDR does more for pushing discussion than most other posters on this site. Not only does he post headlines but he moderates the entire section and also creates threads on his own while posting intelligently in others' thread.

So posting a picture of 2 guys that are having a match at the next PPV and saying "All discussion here" is driving conversation? Who can't do that?

Lazy fucking posters... I hate them. I miss when we actually had good posters on this site.
That is just a myth. That never happened.

In fact, I'd almost go so far as to say the forums now are about as good as they've ever been. Obviously, you're never going to get rid of stupidity, but I think we have older and more wise people on the forum than we have since I signed up. I mean, Downward Spiral used to be a moderator on this forum, at the ripe age of 14. That should tell you something.

So posting a picture of 2 guys that are having a match at the next PPV and saying "All discussion here" is driving conversation? Who can't do that?

You're not getting me.

It's one thing to create good discussion threads, contribute to the forum AND make lazy threads. It's another thing to only make lazy threads.

You're not getting me.

It's one thing to create good discussion threads, contribute to the forum AND make lazy threads. It's another thing to only make lazy threads.

Ah well that makes sense. To be clear, I have no beef with IDR, just saw parallels that weren't there apparently.

That is just a myth. That never happened.

In fact, I'd almost go so far as to say the forums now are about as good as they've ever been. Obviously, you're never going to get rid of stupidity, but I think we have older and more wise people on the forum than we have since I signed up. I mean, Downward Spiral used to be a moderator on this forum, at the ripe age of 14. That should tell you something.

I don't know, man. When I first came on, it was difficult for me to think of an original topic because guys like IC, Becca, NSL, etc were thinking up great topics to discuss. Nowadays, posters use the headlines as a quick and lazy way to up their post count and feel empowered when someone posts in a thread they made, regardless of how unoriginal or lazy it is.

This thread might be safer in the GSD to weed out the trolls.
There are no trolls. I'd just like a reasonable explanation for why we need a series of inane questions to follow a piece of news. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Discussion will drive itself. That's most definitely the case when it comes to any article worth posting. Why are we making this whole discussion thing out to be more difficult or cumbersome than it has to be? Some people will go and state one point of view, and then some bitchy contrarian will go in there and rock the boot, and boom: Conversation. Unless you want everyone to be a bitchy contrarian in the opening post so we can skip a few steps, I don't see what's to be gained from asking people to do anything other than "Discuss."

Come on, everybody. Let's have a discussion about discusion! Discuss.

There are no trolls. I'd just like a reasonable explanation for why we need a series of inane questions to follow a piece of news. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Discussion will drive itself. That's most definitely the case when it comes to any article worth posting. Why are we making this whole discussion thing out to be more difficult or cumbersome than it has to be? Some people will go in an state one point of view, and then some bitchy contrarian will go in there and rock the boot, and boom: Conversation. Unless you want everyone to be a bitchy contrarian in the opening post so we can skip a few steps, I don't see what's to be gained from asking people to do anything other than "Discuss."

Come on, everybody. Let's have a discussion about discusion! Discuss.

My post wasn't directed at you. But at least we know you've got a severe case of paranoia now.

You really deleted that harmless post after you had the nerve to tell me that you do not have thin skin yesterday? I think there would be better posters if those with power made better attempts to use their position to encourage good posting instead of "agreement." Sly is very good at this, others ... not so much.

You really deleted that harmless post after you had the nerve to tell me that you do not have thin skin yesterday?

Yes I did delete it. I figured that I'd rather delete that troll-post and try to keep a civilized conversation instead of giving reason to hit you with an infraction. So do me a favor and direct your insults elsewhere.

I think there would be better posters if those with power made better attempts to use their position to encourage good posting instead of agreement. Sly is very good at this, others ... not so much.

Hence, the reason for this thread. I figured that if I point out the difference between lazy posting and good posting, someone might see the difference. Very obvious, methinks.

My post wasn't directed at you. But at least we know you've got a severe case of paranoia now.
The thread was moved after I posted and you have a track record of thinking I'm trolling. Making assumptions based on one's past behaviour? How dare I?!

Anyway, you've done a fine job answering none of what I asked. I see zero ways in which one of those threads with a news article and the word "discuss" is less worthy of existing than something like this:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=3297333

Maybe you can explain it to me.

Coco's got a point. People were going to discuss shit like CM Punk anyway, with or without the use of 7 random questions in bold at the bottom of a copy/pasted article. You don't infract people for spamming when they don't strictly post their answers to the questions presented, so what's the problem? I'll even go as far as to say that those stupid questions promote lazy posting. If you enter a thread and just start answering questions, you're not actually thinking about things to write.

It's a lot easier to post in W-Spam (or any of the spam sections, really) because discussion is more natural sounding, and human, rather than the robotic text regurgitation you see in the main sections. Sometimes it gets a little tiring having to write out every single clear implication just to avoid "spamming."

The thread was moved after I posted and you have a track record of thinking I'm trolling. Making assumptions based on one's past behaviour? How dare I?!

Understandable. But at least you know that it wasn't directed towards you. So I'm satisfied that we came to an agreement.

Anyway, you've done a fine job answering none of what I asked. I see zero ways in which one of those threads with a news article and the word "discuss" is less worthy of existing than something like this:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=3297333

Maybe you can explain it to me.

It's easy to pluck out a needle in a haystack. But if you're honestly going to compare ONE thread that IC25 made to the dozens of others he's created that are brilliant, then I just don't know what to tell you.

We have TONS of posters who do nothing all day besides cut and paste headlines in order to "feel the power" of creating a thread and having people post in said thread. Just my personal opinion but it rubs me the wrong way.

Coco's got a point. People were going to discuss shit like CM Punk anyway, with or without the use of 7 random questions in bold at the bottom of a copy/pasted article.

True, but someone just created a thread about "Cult of Personality" hitting the Top 100 on iTunes. They cut and pasted the headline into a post, put it in the WWE section, and didn't even ask any of our posters a question about it or give direction to what they want discussed in the thread. I mean, what the fuck?

I'll even go as far as to say that those stupid questions promote lazy posting. If you enter a thread and just start answering questions, you're not actually thinking about things to write.

It's a lot easier to post in W-Spam (or any of the spam sections, really) because discussion is more natural sounding, and human, rather than the robotic text regurgitation you see in the main sections. Sometimes it gets a little tiring having to write out every single clear implication just to avoid "spamming."

Everything you just posted here is EXACTLY my point.

Lazy fucking posters... I hate them.

How civilized ...

Hence, the reason for this thread. I figured that if I point out the difference between lazy posting and good posting, someone might see the difference. Very obvious, methinks.

It is very obvious that you are interested in people that agree with your opinion agreeing and calling everyone that disagrees a troll. This is what I am talking about. Coco presented a point as to why he disagrees. You ignored him and attempted to insult him. That is crappy posting in a civilized discussion. I see nothing wrong with using the type of posting you described in thread starting on occasion.

Understandable. But at least you know that it wasn't directed towards you. So I'm satisfied that we came to an agreement.
Cheers.

It's easy to pluck out a needle in a haystack. But if you're honestly going to compare ONE thread that IC25 made to the dozens of others he's created that are brilliant, then I just don't know what to tell you.
You and I both know I could go through the archives and find plenty of lame ways IC has tried to generate discussion. Heck, what happened to the music tournament?

We have TONS of posters who do nothing all day besides cut and paste headlines in order to "feel the power" of creating a thread and having people post in said thread. Just my personal opinion but it rubs me the wrong way.
And yet it drives discussion the same as anything else. :shrug:

It personally rubbing you the wrong way is just as petty as whatever victory they think they're getting by starting all those threads. Be the bigger man: Let them have their victory. It hurts the forum in no way.

Coco's got a point. People were going to discuss shit like CM Punk anyway, with or without the use of 7 random questions in bold at the bottom of a copy/pasted article. You don't infract people for spamming when they don't strictly post their answers to the questions presented, so what's the problem? I'll even go as far as to say that those stupid questions promote lazy posting. If you enter a thread and just start answering questions, you're not actually thinking about things to write.

High five! Spam sections FTW.

You and I both know I could go through the archives and find plenty of lame ways IC has tried to generate discussion. Heck, what happened to the music tournament?

I think we've ALL been victim of doing that. I fully admit I've made plenty. But I've also made some pretty decent ones, too. Matter of fact, guys like IC and myself make more interesting threads than BS ones. No disputing that, really.

And yet it drives discussion the same as anything else. :shrug:

True. Can't argue that much. But this is only about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, it just creates tons of spam and isn't even discussion-worthy.

It personally rubbing you the wrong way is just as petty as whatever victory they think they're getting by starting all those threads. Be the bigger man: Let them have their victory. It hurts the forum in no way.

Once again, I'm not saying you're wrong. It's definitely a personal thing with me. I just prefer to have my mind stretched a bit when discussing a topic. I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything. I just know that better thought-out topics generate more hits and discussion as copied and pasted headlines a lot of the time, that's all.

I'm not sure I understand Coco's position. Are you saying that just because IC25 created threads with little posting in the opening post, all the new threads citing a news story with the words "discuss" at the end are now quality opening posts?

Pick as many poor opening posts as you want from "respected" forum members, and it won't change D-Man's point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back