• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What if.... instead of Orton

Darkseifer330

Dark Match Jobber
I thinking yesterday about the whole Randy Orton cashing in his MITB on Daniel Bryan and becoming some sort of "Corporate" Champion of some sort. I'm glad they re-ignited this story line and got Orton out of the shuffle, but What if instead of Orton winning the Money in the Bank and cashing it in at Summerslam, there was another superstar instead. For example Wade Barrett or Curtis Axel to give them a great push to the top. I think this storyline would have been a great time to establish a person to the top. So who would you guys put in the position Orton's currently in?

Um, they ARE using this storyline to establish a person to the top. It's Daniel Bryan. You have to have a major star in Orton's spot. Making Wade Barrett the Corporate Champ just equals a PPV nobody wants to buy. The ONLY midcard name that might have worked is Ryback, if they hadn't let him go so cold.

This is about establishing Bryan in the upper, upper tier of main event talent. You're not going to get there by defeating, say, Antonio Cesaro. Cena, Punk, and Orton are the only guys at that level. Orton's not just the right choice for the situation, he's absolutely perfect.

For this particular angle, nobody but Orton should be in this spot because he's a perfect example of the "corporate champion". As everyone knows and can see, Randy Orton is someone that's got the sort of "total package" that a lot of promoters look at when it comes to picking their top stars. If you're someone that believes that "the look" is the most important aspect of someone when trying to make them into a big star, then Randy Orton is someone that has it. He's a tall, dark, handsome guy with a great build who gives off this "bad boy" kind of vibe. Male fans dig Orton because of his not so nice guy personality and female fans dig Orton because of the look, the attitude, etc.

For the sake of argument, let's say that pro wrestling was 100% real and that all this was legit. As a genuinely major corporation, Randy Orton is traditionally the sort of person you'd want as the "face" of your company. Tall, athletic, handsome, clean cut, wears fancy clothes, drives fancy cars, lives in a big house, etc. Daniel Bryan is about 5'9", sports a mountain man beard, lives a very unmaterialistic lifestyle, has unmaterialistic beliefs generally, still owns & lives in the house he grew up in, etc. As part of this angle, WWE is saying that Daniel Bryan is more of a "normal" person than Randy Orton, thus Randy Orton is "better" than Daniel Bryan. WWE is using the time honored notion of promoting Vince, Stephanie, & Triple H as a bunch of rich corporate executives that look down their noses at anyone they think doesn't fit in. It's very easy to dislike people who are like that and it makes makes people rally around Daniel Bryan someone who doesn't fit that mold and is trying to succeed despite their interference. It makes him come off as more of an underdog, and damn near everyone loves a good underdog story. Nobody fits the "corporate mold" better than Randy Orton right now and nobody fits the "anti-corporate mold" right now than Daniel Bryan by simply being, for the most part, who he is in real life.

I thinking yesterday about the whole Randy Orton cashing in his MITB on Daniel Bryan and becoming some sort of "Corporate" Champion of some sort. I'm glad they re-ignited this story line and got Orton out of the shuffle, but What if instead of Orton winning the Money in the Bank and cashing it in at Summerslam, there was another superstar instead. For example Wade Barrett or Curtis Axel to give them a great push to the top. I think this storyline would have been a great time to establish a person to the top. So who would you guys put in the position Orton's currently in?

If it were up to fans like you, wrestlers would be out of the game at roughly 28 years of age.

As someone said earlier, Orton's perfect because the real winner here is Daniel Bryan. Bryan needs an established opponent. A future Hall of Fame guy works a hell of a lot better than a guy who couldn't even shave Daniel's beard a few weeks back, or a talentless hack kept from drowning by Heyman.

Think about it this way. Would you rather buy a PPV with Bryan vs Orton, or Bryan vs Barrett? I wouldn't make sense to have anyone but Orton. Plus the history he has with Triple H, just makes it more perfect.

the only problem I see happening here is Triple H and Vince overshadowing and protecting Orton as WWE Champion. Orton needs to still be a Viper, a sneaky snaky chartacter. He doesnt need others doing his talking etc, the power trip should not overshadow Bryan's meteoric and subsequent elevation to a proper main event and WWE Championship run

No one else fits here except for Randy Orton, that I can think of.

Orton has the look, mic skills, and overall persona that fits one of a corporate champion. Can you really see Curtis Axel or Wade Barrett in that role? Some are worried enough about Orton in that role, and that he'll be overshadowed by the McMahon's and HHH. Can you imagine an Axel, or a Wade Barrett? Axel is utter garbage, and not even Paul Heyman has been able to do anything about that. Barrett has serious mic skills and a nice look, but he's been jobbing for so long that he simply woudn't be believable in the role. Two years ago? Sure. But not at this point, especially with how Daniel Bryan has simply owned him time and again.(Throw out the match with Maddox as referee, of course..)

In order for Daniel Bryan to get over, further, he needs someone who's been there, done that. The goal here isn't to get Randy Orton over, he already is. Sure, you could argue that the McMahon's are more then over and established, but Vince and Steph aren't wrestlers, and HHH is 2-3 matches a year. Will one of them be against Bryan? It looks that way.

But the ultimate absolution for Bryan will be the WWE Championship, and that will mean taking it from Randy Orton, if he does so. What would it mean if he took it from Axel or Barrett, ultimately?

Not much. And the goal here, ultimately, is to get Daniel Bryan to the top babyface spot. The way for that to happen is with Randy Orton as champion, not Curtis Axel or Wade Barrett, or anyone else, for that matter.

CM Punk is the other guy that would work, I suppose, but he doesn't exactly fit the mold of corporate champion, does he?

I think this storyline would have been a great time to establish a person to the top.

Isn't that exactly what's happening with Daniel Bryan? :shrug:

Why do people keep thinking that if the WWE puts someone, who isn't getting any reaction from the crowd, in a bigger role it's going to automatically make him someone the fans will want to cheer or boo?

Look how many times the WWE has tried to push someone and they flopped, Barrett included. Axel is boo'd simply because of Heyman. If he was on his own, he wouldn't be where he is now.

Orton is the best guy they have for that role, you can't just throw someone like Curtis Axel or Wade Barrett on top randomly and expect people to buy into it, it just wouldn't work and if that happened the ratings would drop no question, its just a bad idea.

This works because Orton is an established top guy and a proven heel (not to mention he's still quite young). His association makes sense especially since 10 years ago Triple H was mentioning how Orton was the future of the company and now that he's COO of the company he is in a position to put the guy he believes is destined to be the top guy in WWE. Orton's awesome, always has been and always will be. Barrett and Axel have potential but they are FAR from awesome, maybe later but not now (although if they were bit players in the new corporation that would be fine).

It's obvious that WWE is going with Daniel Bryan, my guess at least until Wrestlemania and if you are gonna put him over there is no one better currently wrestling to do that than Randy Orton.

Orton is the perfect fit for this. Not only because he has history with HHH but because he deserves to be at the very top. He always puts on fantastic matches and I think people tend overlook that. Orton is that dependable guy who has already been a multiple time World champ meaning when (if) Bryan beats him it is a greater accomplishment.

Moreover, Orton has the look of a "corporate champion". He's a tall good-looking guy that will inevitably don a suit. He is someone that could represent a company; whereas, Bryan or Barrett really don't give that.

Guys like Barrett and Axel should eventually receive pushes no doubt. I firmly believe that Barrett will involved in this storyline but he is not the right choice for the "corporate" champion.

It has to be orton. Orton vs Bryan sounds way better on a ppv than Barrett or axel being the heel. Hhh and orton have history and it makes sense. There's history there with evolution and also when orton stalked the mcmahons. Wwe is rolling the dice with orton because if the drug violations, but there is no better pick right now but orton as the top heel in the company and it's been a long time coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back