What Has WWE done to Jack Swagger

cmedge

The Abdi
When we all think of Jack Swagger we remember him as the former World Heavyweight Champion.

Jack Swagger is an amazing in ring technician he wasn't too bad on the microphone he carried himself like a great champion but WWE did not give him many victories under his belt therefore he looked like a weak, unbelievable champion.

I think Jack Swagger and Kurt Angle have very many similarities so I thought WWE would have built Jack Swagger to be the "next" Kurt Angle.

If Jack Swagger did some improving on the microphone he would have been great he was a little too serious though he is very charismatic.

Jack Swagger is a very underrated talent it is very sad what WWE has done with him.

He started jobbing alot and putting main eventers over Rey Mysterio and Edge.

Then he started putting mid carders over Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler.

Now he is putting jobbers over Chris Masters (House Show)

So what is WWE doing with Swagger it looks like he will be the next Khali.

Jack Swagger could have been a great world champ but the WWE was like "Oh no let's give it to Mysterio for a bit".

At least he should have won the fatal four way and won his match at Money In The Bank then he should have had Kane cash in on him and beat him at Summerslam.

Swagger would have looked much stronger espically beating former world champions CM Punk, Big Show and Rey Mysterio.

I thought Swagger could have been the next big thing. He has the size of Lesnar and the in ring ability of Kurt Angle he is really talented it is sad.

What do you guys think of Jack Swagger?

Swagger needs to fix his mic skills. And I do NOT think he is the next kurt angle.

Swagger also needs to show WWE he can do it. The weird thing I saw when he was World Champ was that he'd always open the show, but never close it.

I don't think Swagger is the next Angle either but the WWE has a nack for building up superstars to becoming a second coming of a former superstar.

i.e Mason Ryan and Batista..

Swagger is great though just a little working on his mic skills could help him.

Part of the reason Swagger sucked it up as champion is because the E made him generic. He turned into every other heel champion. He wore a suit, he was arrogant and most of all he lost his swagger. Literally from the 3 count on Jericho to this moment Jack Swagger has no longer been the Swagger I actually liked. He had energy and at the very least an interesting entrance that was different from everyone else. Sure his mic skills are impeded by his lisp but that didn't ruin him for me. Maybe I'm in the minority but I watch wrestling to see cool shit happen in the ring. Swagger was definitely capable of those things.

I think Swagger mostly needs some new direction with his character. He's the All-American-American. Have him be patriotic and turn him face. When this corre non-sense dies down have him feud with Barrett, an old school let's root for America feud. Something to change his character from the generic heel from genericisville.

I agree he had an amazing entrance and was exciting and cocky in every way before he was champion even with the way he spoke until he had to garner a monotone boring voice. Jack Swagger is an amazing in ring wrestler and he carried himself well maybe a face turn could help Swagger get over. He does remind me of Kurt Angle in many ways.

When we all think of Jack Swagger we remember him as the former World Heavyweight Champion.

Started badly. I think of a guy who shouldn't have been champion, least not so soon.

Jack Swagger is an amazing in ring technician he wasn't too bad on the microphone he carried himself like a great champion but WWE did not give him many victories under his belt therefore he looked like a weak, unbelievable champion.

Wasn't too bad on the microphone. OK he's better than Mason Ryan, not world champ material though is he. He got heat on a couple of promos he did, pretty big heat. Problem was that was only because of how long they lasted. Most guys get booed for what they say and can hold an audience for about 10 minutes if needs be, he got booed because nobody could remember what he'd said after taking up 10 minutes. Not good. Also as has been discussed often, he had a clean victory over randy orton, a triple threat victory over chris jericho and Edge and a DQ victory over Big Show. If that's a weak reign I guess people like Cena are pretty weak champs as well.

I think Jack Swagger and Kurt Angle have very many similarities so I thought WWE would have built Jack Swagger to be the "next" Kurt Angle.

Wait your telling me that ISN'T what they are doing! To me he seems more and more like a less talented former olympic gold medallist by the week. I mean Ankle Lock, long grappling matches, costume, you don't see any similarities?

If Jack Swagger did some improving on the microphone he would have been great he was a little too serious though he is very charismatic.

If Chris Benoit had improved on the mic he may well have had more than one championship reign. As it happens he was never more than alright, same for ol' Swaggie. He is charasmatic, in the same way Darren Young is.

Jack Swagger is a very underrated talent it is very sad what WWE has done with him.

I'm quite impressed with the way they have handled him at times. I mean his title reigns by all accounts was a failure and yet he is still able to contend for the IC championship without going through anybody, he's still a bigger star than Cody or McIntyre, that's for sure. And they have made sure to make him look very dominating in his matches. Only him, sheamus and maybe Barrett are the only heels who can compete in a amatch with anyone and handle themselves well, that's a good touch. Means dude can main event when he has to even if he hasn't got the voice for it.

He started jobbing alot and putting main eventers over Rey Mysterio and Edge. Then he started putting mid carders over Kofi Kingston and Dolph Ziggler.

If I remember he was actually going round locking in the Ankle lock to everyone including Show and Mysterio leaving them unable to walk. Look peaks and troughs, Punk was putting over mysterio same time last year and look where he is now. Not everyone can be on top all the time.

Now he is putting jobbers over Chris Masters (House Show)

WWE is definately not trying to get masters over, he's got better credentials and skills than almost any guy his age now. If they wanted to do it by now it would have been done.

So what is WWE doing with Swagger it looks like he will be the next Khali.

He is NOT going to be the next Khali. If you can talk then you have a better future than Khali, honestly don't be suprised if he never gets more than say one more title run though, he just isn't that good outside the ring.

Jack Swagger could have been a great world champ but the WWE was like "Oh no let's give it to Mysterio for a bit".

? Think y'already said he WAS world champ? If he had two reigns that year it would have been very bad for the belt. Look at the Miz, one reign can put you right over. He had plenty of mic time on top and beat a lot of top calibre athletes. Wasn't management that let him down.

At least he should have won the fatal four way and won his match at Money In The Bank then he should have had Kane cash in on him and beat him at Summerslam.

So your suggesting he should have won MITB twice in the space of a few months. I don't even believe they would have let Edge do that. Kane needed to be champ by Summerslam to make the whole Undertaker thing work out, which it didn't nreally in reality but they did try. Had Swagger been champ, would've been heel v heel, never works out.

Swagger would have looked much stronger espically beating former world champions CM Punk, Big Show and Rey Mysterio.

To me all the long matches he's been through and guys he's beaten makes him look as strong as a guy can when they have a speech impediment like his. He isn't going to look strong through talking and he is through matches, this has been done and done well.

I thought Swagger could have been the next big thing. He has the size of Lesnar and the in ring ability of Kurt Angle he is really talented it is sad.

What do you guys think of Jack Swagger?

I think it's nice to see that you've given up on him already. Guy is only 28, plenty of time left on the charts fella. I think he is a very talented athlete who is destined to be a Match of the year Contender consecutively and a glorified upper mid-carder. WWE is built upon entire packages, people who can talk and wrestler, actually not wrestle, work a match. Jericho, Edge, Sheamus, HHH all of the big guns can talk and work. And yes even Cena can work a match. But Swagger cannot work a microphone enough to convince people to care about him, he can only convey a story through ring-work. I think he has a good future because WWE always has space for people who can put on longer matches hence why daniel bryan got re-hired. But I also think that he isn't going to fulfill his complete potential until he steps out of Kurt Angle's shadow and looks like his own man, goes back to a gut-wrench powerbomb and becomes the first 2-time all american american, not second time olympic gold medallist like he's playing up to be.

I think WWE just realized he was not going to be another KURT ANGLE, and he pretty much suck's. I was appalled when they made him champion... I was like who the hell is this guy? He should have never been champion. I could think of a hundred other wrestler's that should of held the title before him.

I agree, before they turned him into just another heel in a suit and had him hold back on the original persona he had, I enjoyed watching him. Even the smallest things, like his push up thing and his gorilla "chest thumping" thing, set him apart from other talents. He definitely wasn't boring to watch in the ring, either.

I got to go to Bragging Rights '09 (and I'm even on the dvd in the fan interview section) and I remember while watching it, he was the guy that stuck out to me when he came down the ramp w/the rest of the Raw team. The energy he showed while coming down made him stand out from all the other guys and for some reason you wanted the still relatively new Swagger to have a good night.

I think if he went back to his original attitude and was tweaked a bit, he could make his way back to the top of the heap. They're not utilizing him as they should and it's sad, because he has the talent and charisma to be a top star. It was almost like they didn't want him to be, as a champion, who he was while on his way to that position. And like Crippler Crossface said, even his lisp didn't ruin my enjoyment of his talent.

Part of the reason Swagger sucked it up as champion is because the E made him generic. He turned into every other heel champion. He wore a suit, he was arrogant and most of all he lost his swagger. Literally from the 3 count on Jericho to this moment Jack Swagger has no longer been the Swagger I actually liked. He had energy and at the very least an interesting entrance that was different from everyone else. Sure his mic skills are impeded by his lisp but that didn't ruin him for me. Maybe I'm in the minority but I watch wrestling to see cool shit happen in the ring. Swagger was definitely capable of those things.

I think Swagger mostly needs some new direction with his character. He's the All-American-American. Have him be patriotic and turn him face. When this corre non-sense dies down have him feud with Barrett, an old school let's root for America feud. Something to change his character from the generic heel from genericisville.

It could be that people didn't make the connection... or maybe it simply didn't go over because it was a bad idea, but when Jack Swagger won the championship and dropped the swagger, I kind of "got it".
It was like "I was putting on a smile and being phony before, but now that I've done what I came to do, its not a game anymore, so don't take me for a joke."
Problem was, he didn't just stop smiling, he stopped showing any emotion entirely. He talked monotone, with no inflections. He was very dry and very boring in his promos. I liked the premise, but it wasn't well executed.
As for being compared to Angle, I saw the parallels immediately and knew what they were trying to do. I knew he was no Angle, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I was impressed with what he had done so far. They were trying to give him the Angle treatment; wrestling down every opponent he came across, winning belts like hot cakes, but the difference is obvious and they pressed him back down the ladder as fast as they pushed him up it. It's not Swagger's fault he doesn't compare to Kurt Angle, arguably the greatest of all the times. They just mishandled the push. He will make it back in due time.

I think Jack Swagger could have been very talented but them some "higher-up" decided the rookies have had their shining moments and decided to run the same old show of washed-up broken down old guys. When Jack Swagger started adding the ankle lock I saw it as a last ditch attempt to recreate Kurt Angle and again that fell short of the mark. So unless by some miracle you come around, Good Bye, Jack Swagger we will all miss you.

What I meant was for Kane to cash in on Swagger if he was World Champ instead of Rey.

So it would have been a face vs heel match instead of face vs face because Kane was still a face.

It made Kane's heel turn more expected then it should have been.

Swagger was a weak Champ he got beat by John Morrison twice at the time and had way to many losses for a world champion. He lost to Randy Orton like twice also if WWE really wanted to make him look strong he would have more wins instead of losing by DQ to Big Show. Some more clean wins could have helped get him over.

I'm sorry but you (original poster) said Jake has the size of WWE brock and the in ring skills of angle? LOL... jake is about 6'4" (real life which is taller than brock, but he is probably only 220 pounds)..not even close to WWE (290 at only 6'3") lesnar. I like SWagger, but his in ring skills are not even in the same ball park as angles.. not even remotely close. Furthermore, if the announcers didn't tell me Jake had a good wrestling backround I would never know.. he moves like a oaf in the ring...not anywhere near the agility speed or quickness as angle. Even if we didnt know angle was a gold medalist we would all know he was a superb athlete by the way he moves. Not so with Jake.

I do like jake though..he is one of the best in a the weakest era of pro wrestling.

The problem I have with Swagger is his mic skills. Beside the very obvious lisp he's just to bland on the mic. It's always the same stick all American blah blah blah I wrestled in college. That’s cool, if your going to bill him as an All American why not have him doing some American shit. Yeah you bring out the eagle that was terrible. But what else does he do? His college wrestling skills translated over into the WWE would be great. We have Dolph and him and others that are former College wrestlers, but he is really billed as a former wrestler.

Give him some actual wrestling moves, we see the suplex he uses a lot and the single and double leg take downs. But for me as a former amature wrestler to the ankle lock for an amature wrestler is a stupid submission. Kurt Angle used it, yes. But Kurt was an amazing technician who pulled it out of his ass. With Swagger you see the setup, with Angle you could see it coming but didn't really know when. Give Swagger a cross face or some other rough stiff move that wrestling is known for. Your limiting his power and ability by trying to make him a bigger Kurt Angle, let him settle into his own character. Because it hasn’t been that long since Kurt left the E, why try and remake him?

Just because Chris Masters beat Jack Swagger at a House Show doesn't mean Jack Swagger was "jobbing". Anyway, I agree WWE aren't booking Swagger right. I really wanted Swagger to win the IC Championship at TLC last year, too hopefully set up a IC Champion Jack Swagger vs US Champion Daniel Bryan (The closest thing to Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit), in a Title Unifcation Match at Mania 27. And I agree, Swagger's World Heavyweight Championship reign was dreadful. He barely gained credibility, losing countless non-title matches (John Morrison, Randy Orton etc.) and getting himself disqualified (vs Big Show at Over The Limit) in like 5 minutes after Edge and Orton had their majorly botched match. Swagger could have retained at Fatal 4-Way, and dropped the later. But yes. WWE is definitely booking Swagger wrong.

I'm disappointed seeing all of you count the boy out like this. He's all but just arrived in the WWE and has 2 world title reigns to his credit. He's got good charisma and loves what he's doing. I feel like I'm repeating myself here,but everyone can't be in the main event every Monday Tuesday and Friday. Give the guy time to get some more experience and his star will rise high in the WWE.

This is a shame. I mean some mic work and Swagger could be very good for years to come. He's got a nice look and the skills to get the job done in the ring. String a few wins with the ankle lock and Swagger really could get his "swag" back lol. This guy is big and could really go somewhere if creative would just keep pushing him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back