What Do You Expect Out Of A "Champion"?

lenguy

First Immortality..Then the Bitches
I was pondering around this idea after watching some championship matches on a dvd one of my friend made for me. I got the thinking, when somebody does ultimately win a championship weather it be a heel or a face, what do you expect from them? In general I typically notice that a lot of the superstars follow a precise pattern.

A new up and coming heel will win a world title(example sheamus or Miz) They will gloat and brag with an all around cocky attitude to assert there newly acquired accomplishment. Saying things like the times have changed, I'm the future of this company, Nobody will beat me I will hold on to this title forever so and and so forth( I'm all sure we have heard this kind of promo a million times before)

An established heel will generally state the obvious, constantly reminding us how many times he has capture said title or that this title means more to me that the very air they breathe and will do unspeakable things to hold on to it. Talk a big game and never back it up unless forced to.Along with other various promos you would expect out your typical heel.

An new up and coming face will capture a world title and go on to say how this is a dream come true that they always dreamed of this moment that their thankful for the opportunity and attempt to over come seemingly impossible odds to prove that they are the "real deal"

An established face will basically talk as if the title is miles ahead more important than a new born child or family(take orton stating he would RKO his grandmother for instance,)A heel will do the same as well. Or maybe its That they couldn't have done it without the amazing support from the wwe universe. Then they will go on to overcome the greatest odds and toughest tribulations to hold onto the title.

I'm not trying to entice an indifference between you guys. Its just a something I've come to realize over awhile. A Heel will cut the same promo any heel would in a very typical fashion. Some are very direct and some are very strategic and very intelligent at executing a heel promo. Actions again are the same you would expect from any heel champion.

There isn't much difference from a Face just everything they do will be the opposite. They often present themselves as one layered personalities. While a heel can pull of multiple.

By now you must be wonder. God damn it lenguy that it what heels/faces do! I understand that so save your breath. Its just a frequent pattern that I've notice quite a bit play itself into redundant obscurity,as if to say "Oh how many times have you heard that speech?"

I often wonder when somebody does win a title I generally find myself saying well...okay, what happens now? Why should I care? Can I expect anything out of this person to offer some different from say somebody else? When Sheamus first won the WWE title I was angry but open to the possibility that he could be something fresh. Not just a fresh face but a fresh persona. Yet I found him cutting the very same generic heel promo and actions you would expect out of any heel. Same with Jack Swagger, he won the title but didn't do anything to separate himself from any other heel champion.

Its getting frequently more and more difficult to get excited about a new champion being crowned weather its a new face or and old because they follow the same basic formula as any one of there predecessors before them. Of course, this I just how I feel.So I'll ask

As a champion what do you the viewer expect from them?

How does one differentiate himself from the pack and avoid being remember as just another champion

Is it wrong to expect something a little different from a champion time to time and break away from the formula and try to something different, can it be done?

Is this something you have noticed as well? If so what is your take on the topic?

I open the floor to you. Pardon if this kind of seems a bit all over the place at times. I am a bit tired

To be a great champion, you need to be able to stand out from the rest of the pack, as you are supposed to be THE MAN, not just another face in the crowd.

You were, in the past anyway, be able to work with anybody and have a good match. When wrestling was still regional, the NWA Champion was required to travel round defending his title against all the regional champions, some of whom were better than others. Flair has said that the idea was to always make the hometown guy look good and like he had a chance of winning, before always coming away with a win, as the regional champion needed to remain strong and credible. It took a special wrestler to do this, which is why so few ever were awarded the status of "Champion".

Today though, you need to be able to sell merchandise and appeal to the mass audience. Being popular with the kids is just as important as being able to have a 5-star match, which is why we see John Cena consistantly in the main event, the man is a money making machine.

The greatest Champions stand out. Hulk Hogan, with his unbelievable charisma and Superman persona, The Rock and his flashy signiture moves and taunts, and wonderful mic work, Stone Cold with his beer drinking, middle finger and anti-establishment attitude which fans linked to, and Ric Flair with his mesmerising mic skills, bleached hair and ring robes. These men stood out as having something different, someting extra. Compare these guys to the likes of Jack Swagger, The Miz and Jeff Jarrett, wrestlers who have little or no X-Factor.

There are too few wrestlers out there now who stand out, and clearly have what it takes to be mega stars, we have been spoiled over the last 15 years with so many great stars, such as Rock, Austin, Angle, Bret, HBK, Undertaker etc, but right now there is a huge gap waiting for the next generation of worthy champions to step up.

First off, nice thread.

Onto the topic at hand though, I feel there are a few things that you need to be a great champion. First and foremost, an Natural pointed out, you need the ability to stand out, to be memorable, not just have people look at you and think "Meh, he's just another champion, nothing special". If that is peoples reaction to you then you have failed to do your job properly.

Now how does a champion get to the point where he stands out from the rest of the pack? Well to look answer that lets take a look at some of the great champions throughout WWE history.

Hulk Hogan was the ultimate face, everyone loved him; he had a superhero like persona and unbelievable amount of of charisma. Bret Hart was a technical mastermind in the ring who could put on a great match with any opponent given to him. The Rock was unbelievably good on the mic, he was funny and charismatic. Stone Cold beat up his boss, something that had never been done in the wrestling profession, he was also a total package. John Cena, much like Hogan, has a superhero like character and unparalleled amounts of charisma, in addition to that he can go both on the mic and in the ring.

So you see all of these people had something different about them, something that others didn't have that made them stand out from that pack. This is why these people will go down in history as some of the greatest champions of all time.

Agreeing with Brownstone here, nice thread.

As a champion what do you the viewer expect from them?
I expect a good title defense, preferably as often as possible, so as not to make the champ look weak, or as though he's trying to shy away from fighting for it. Also, a credible amount of mic skill. If you can't talk on the Mic, you've got no way you can look good, it just makes you look terrible. Finally, LOOK GOOD. Change your threads, add something to yourself, make it interesting.

How does one differentiate himself from the pack and avoid being remember as just another champion
Introduce a new way to defend the Title. Say anyone who wants to be a contender HAS to beat you in a match 1st. Just be different and memorable.

Is it wrong to expect something a little different from a champion time to time and break away from the formula and try to something different, can it be done?
Sure it can, I would say if the Wrestler has an idea, they should pitch it to creative. They might get more recognition, popularity. And no, it's not wrong to expect something different as it's what we should be seeing anyways.

Is this something you have noticed as well? If so what is your take on the topic?
It is, and I'd prefer to see more Wrestlers that are holding the Title using it in new ways. I don't know how, but it would be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back