WCW: Boston Sub-Regional

God damned Mike Awesome, this will be tough for people to go against because of what I will call DWS. Dead Wrestler Sympathy. Hopefully the fact that he has only had good matches against Masato Tanaka helps Steve Corino win this one since Corino has had great matches against Terry Funk and Dusty Rhodes. As well as being hand picked by Mr. Wrestling II to take up the mantle of Mr. Wrestling 3.

As soon as I saw Corino's match-up, I felt sorry for you Shadow. I'll definitely do some heavy research before making a final vote, but it's looking tough for the king of old school. Corino got a horrible draw. To have to go through Awesome, Nash, and Benoit, just to get to the finals to face Cena or Goldberg, is too much to overcome. I'll reserve my vote for when it's time to debate, but it doesn't seem like Corino is getting out of the first round.

Brian Danielson could not have gotten a worse draw :lmao:

Even if his die-hards push him over Cena, and create the upset of the tournament, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that they're talking him over Gagne, Douglas, or Goldberg.

Claudio Castagnoli...Hmm...

[size=+1]WHO'S NEXT![/SIZE]

Yeah...That about says it all for him.

Claudio Castagnoli is a great talent and I have no idea why the WWE let him go after a rumour that his work visa wasn't real. you would have thought that they would have checked that out. As for Corino, I can hopefully get him past Awesome and Nash. But the big trouble would be with Benoit if he got that far.

Claudio Castagnoli is a great talent and I have no idea why the WWE let him go after a rumour that his work visa wasn't real. you would have thought that they would have checked that out. As for Corino, I can hopefully get him past Awesome and Nash. But the big trouble would be with Benoit if he got that far.

Getting Corino past Awesome will definitely be a trial run. He should go over, but it's really a toss-up. You'll have to convince voters still on the fence, such as myself.

Nash will be an obstacle, but if you can get him over that speed bump, Benoit shouldn't be a problem.

You'll have to see who Benoit defeats to get that far.

How can andybody say Goldberg is better than Cena? Are you freaking kidding me? People say ohh Cena has the 5 moves of doom. Well if thats true then Goldberg has the 2 moves of doom.
While it's ridiculous that people hate on John Cena for his moveset, the same goes for Goldberg.

Spear, Jackhammer, kneebar, superkick, double underhook suplex, full nelson slam, swinging neckbreaker, scoop powerslam, pumphandle fallaway slam and punches. There's ten moves Goldberg used regularly, so don't think for a second that argument is valid.

People continue to talk about how Goldberg was unstoppable during his streak. Let me ask all of you this, how many jobber's did he beat?
Let me ask you this. How many main-eventers and upper-midcarders did he beat? Just as many, if more than John Cena has beaten.

John Cena is no jobber. John Cena can easily match strength with Goldberg.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Goldberg's power game is better than John Cena's. Combined with his speed and aggression, it's a deadly combination.

Goldberg for the most part only knows squash matches against jobbers.
Your arguments are becoming weaker and more repetitive by the line. While Goldberg did beat a lot of jobbers, it made sense. He needed to be built and have a fanbase behind him before he took on bigger competition. You seem to be forgetting that he only spent the first six months squashing jobbers.

Cena has beaten him on the biggest stage of them all.
Goldberg has beaten HHH as well. What's your point?

You can say ohh well what about the spear and jackhammer. Well Superman aka John Cena has kicked out of more in his career.
Wasn't he just beaten by the Big Show this past Friday via chokeslam? If memory serves me correctly, on two occasions that move had absolutely no effect on Goldberg.

Cena has always been a guy who refuses to stay down because of his heart.
Goldberg always refused to stay down. What's your point?

Matt and Cenation, I'm intrigued by your argument, and this is a match up that is definitely going to divide opinion.

Personally I will vote for Cena over Goldberg. Both are powerhouses built as being superhuman, both can kick out of any finisher, both can take it as well as dish it out. But Cena is John Cena. There is a reason he in the top seed in this draw. He is the biggest thing in wrestling currently, and about as close as you will get to the next Hulk Hogan.

Plus the tournament is meant to be sticking with kayfabe, and a superman beats an unstoppable monster in my eyes.

How can andybody say Goldberg is better than Cena?
CENA is a better wrestler but GOLDBERG wins the match if it is no gimmick in a WCW event.
Are you freaking kidding me? People say ohh Cena has the 5 moves of doom. Well if thats true then Goldberg has the 2 moves of doom.
It is not about the number of moves, it is about their effectiveness. SPEAR and JACKHAMMER are damn effective moves. No one kicks out from them.

People continue to talk about how Goldberg was unstoppable during his streak.
you are partially correct here. Not only was GOLDBERG unstoppable during his unbeaten streak, but he was unstoppable after his undefeated streak ended in WCW and he was unstoppable in his WWE run as well. GOLDBERG was unstoppable during his ENTIRE CAREER.
Let me ask all of you this, how many jobber's did he beat
?
Iam not sure exactly how many but i bet the count must run into hundreds.
John Cena is no jobber.
He isnt unbeatable either. He can loose to QUALITY opponents though.
John Cena can easily match strength with Goldberg.
THATS A FALSE ASSUMPTION.
Cena wasnt able to overpower HHH or LESNAR.
GOLDBERG overpowered them both.
From a technical standpoint, give me a break, Goldberg makes Cena look like Kurt Angle.
CENA does hold a slight technical edge over GOLDBERG. But GOLDBERG has beaten opponents sucxh as STING, JERICHO, LESNAR who held massive technical advantage over him. Cenas slight technical advantage isnt any cause for worry.
Cena loves a challenge and a fight,
I have already shattered the myth about CENA and CHALLENGE earlier.
Goldberg for the most part only knows squash matches against jobbers.
apart from jobbers GOLDBERG also has beaten cruiserweights, heavyweights and superheavyweights. He has beaten undercard , mid card , upper midcard and main event wrestlers. he has beaten brawlers, technicians, submission wrestlers, hi fly wreslers , power wreslers and hybrid wreslers.
He has beaten the likes of DDP, HOGAN, SID VISCIOUS, JERICHO, STING, RAVEN, ROCK, BROCK, HHH.
To say GOLDBERG only squashes jobbers is a silly statement to make.
Look at HHH, Goldberg could never figure him out it seemed,
It wasnt HHH alone. It was the whole EVOLUTION.
HHH, ORTON, BATISTA AND FLAIR - It took 4 guys to keep GOLDBERG down.
When it was GOLDBERG v/s HHH , one on one GOLDBERG won with ease.
Cena has beaten him on the biggest stage of them all.
GOLDBERG beat LESNAR at the biggest stage of all.
Goldberg was a no talent hack.
and so is JOHN CENA.

You can say ohh well what about the spear and jackhammer. Well Superman aka John Cena has kicked out of more in his career.
CENA might have kicked out from an EDGE spear. It is nowhere as powerful as a GOLDBERG spear. No one kicks out from a GOLDBERG spear which in any case is mostly always followed immediately with a JACKHAMMER.
Cena has always been a guy who refuses to stay down because of his heart.
The guy who refuses to stay down because of is heart is SHAWN MICHAELS ........so sayeth JR on commentry on numerous occasions........and not JOHN CENA
John Cena has that ability that only a guy like Hulk Hogan had and thats the Superman factor.
GOLDBERG is SUPERMAN, HERCULES and THE HULK - all three rolled into one.
And before anyone starts with the Goldberg beat Hogan bs, Hogan was not in his prime,
Some fans rightfully consider HOGANs time as leader of NWO as his second prime. Even if you dont, HOGAN was near his prime wen goldberg beat him.
Dont try to sell that GOLDBERG beat a weakened HOGAN because no one is going to buy it.
John Cena can only be measured in his prime as he is in it right now.
In his prime (which you consider right now) CENA was beaten by edge, JBL, HHH, BATISTA within the last 12 months.
CENA is BEATABLE in his prime.
If no one could take the title off of Cena in over a year and that list included HHH, Edge, and HBK,
Didnt edge won his first WWE championship defeating CENA?
EDGE has victories AS WELL AS DEFEAT over CENA in chamionship matches.
HHH and HBK have lost to CENA in championship matches and have beaten him in NON TITLE matches.

DONT ONLY SHOW ONE SIDE OF THE COIN.
all guys far superior to Goldberg, then how could some no talent dawg beat John Cena.
The same way this no talent DAWG has beaten the likes of the biggest wrestlers of WCW and the superstars of WWE. He does it by putting to FULL USE the few attributes that he posseses namely STRENGTH, POWER, RAGE, FURY, VIOLENT STREAK, UNINHIBITED NATURE and EXPLOSIVE USE OF HIGH IMPACT MOVES.

And as for the WCW advantage bs, give me a break its the same as WWE rules minus the entrance, you cant seriously tell me you give Goldberg the advantage because of an entrance way.
The enterance offers no advantage to either CENA or GOLDBERG .
But the fact that the match is being held in a wrestling promotion where cena has never performed before (WCW) is a big disadvantage for him. Cena fumbles and panics while performing in an alien atmosphere (watch ONS 2006)
and frquently looses focus on the match.
(even HHH AND FLAIR will feal some discomfort stepping in six sided ring in TNA promotion).
Pressure of performing in UNKNOWN atmosphere effects everyones performance and in this case JOHN CENA

So what if Goldberg's beat a lot of jobbers. That's how he was booked to be when he first debuted. Goldberg doesn't have to be technical to beat Cena. He can use his power to beat him all over the WCW ring. I admire Cena's determination and resilence, but not even he would get up from a spear and jackhammer.

Damn, this is the only region in which I have hardly any interest. Anyway, I'll be throwing my support behind Shane Douglas before he inevitably loses to either Goldberg or Cena. Although he is quite the complainer, I think Douglas is one of the most underrated American professional wrestlers, ever. It's too bad none of the superstars of his time (e.g., Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels) gave him any of the guidance he so badly wanted.

I'll be voting Danielson over Cena purely because I'm awkward like that. Both have shit submission finishers. Slyfox won't be able to convince me that the STFU can induce a bad case of glandular fever if applied correctly. If he tries I'll point out that the cattle mutilation gives you a nasty burn of the canvas.

I will be basing it on punches vs. slaps. Considering Cena has never thrown a punch that's even come close to looking like it's made contact, he loses this first round match.

Reactions: NSL
I'll give my opinion on the Benoit v. Borga and Kennedy v. Miz first round match-ups, by saying this: The Benoit v. Miz match should be interesting.

Kennedy is great on the mic. That doesn't win matches. Miz is the better in-ring performer, and should easily dispatch of Mr. Kennedy. Borga was good, for a very short period of time. Benoit should also win easily.

In the Benoit v. Miz match-up, there's no way Benoit loses. Miz has a decent fanbase, so if the popular vote comes out in full strength, there's a chance that he could make it close, but I don't think there's anyway Benoit doesn't win that with a Crossface in the center of the ring.

12. "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash
53. "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal

Nash. 'Nuff said.

I've always liked Lethal, but have never been amazed by his in-ring skills. He's got some speed and quickness, and it could help, but I don't think it'll be nearly enough to take out Nash in the first round. Lethal has made his career beating guys the same size as him, and, as far as I know, doesn't hold any significant wins over anyone slightly larger.

Nash has always beat up on small guys, so he won't be seeing anything he hasn't seen before.

Concerning the Miz and Kennedy match, I wouldn't be surprised if either of them win but I would be surprised if it's by a huge margin especially if it's Kennedy on the winning end. Miz has improved lots since a couple of years ago and Kennedy hasn't really impressed me at all. Kennedy will probably get the win here but I don't think that should happen.

Don't feel too comfortable looking ahead, discuss the Boston Sub Regional of the WCW Region headlined by John Cena.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Boston, MA
4. John Cena
61. "The American Dragon" Brian Danielson

29. Verne Gagne
36. "Big Stevie Cool" Stevie Richars

13. Goldberg
52. Claudio Castagnoli

20. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas
45. Paul London

5. "The Crippler" Chris Benoit
60. Ludvig Borga

28. Mr. Kennedy
37. Mike "The Miz" Mizanin

12. "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash
53. "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal

21. "The King of Old School" Steve Corino
44. "The Gladiator" Mike Awesome

Finally, the Boston Sub Region, or the Region that makes me say, it sucks to be John Cena. John Cena is going to be met with a hellacious road out of here if he can get out of here. He's gained tons of respect over the last year, but he's going to be facing men that go against his five moves of doom stereotype.

In round one, Cena goes up against Danielson, and Cena should win, but you never know how this shit is going to go. Cena is by far and away better then Brian Danielson in every way possible, but, Smarks love the American Dragon, so who knows. Then you have him going up againt Verne Gagne, who will destory Stevie Richards. Now, i have a biased against the AWA and all things Gagne, so I'm hoping Cena gets past the self promoting Gagne.

Goldberg vs. Claudio simply screams of two words, Who's Next? Goldberg will dominate and then he'll beat the winner of Douglas and London, which should be douglas, because Paul London is another horribly over rated hack. Regardless, Goldberg goes to round 3 on cruise control before he hits a brick wall.

The bottom half sees Benoit vs. Borga, in what is going to be nothing but an ugly slugfest. In the end, Benoit should go over Borga. Benoit will have no problem going over the winner of the laughable and embarassing Mr. Kennedy and Miz match.

Kevin Nash will have no problem with Black Machismo. This isn't TNA son, and htis isn't the Silver Fox. Jay Lethal is going to be dealing with Big Daddy Cool, and Diesel was bad ass. Then you have Corino vs. Awesome, and I really don't like Corinos chance on paper to get out of round 1. Regardless, I thin Nash will pick apart the winner of this match.

So round 3 is looking to be Cena vs. Goldberg, and I don't like Cena's chances at all in that match. Goldberg can mbatch anything and everything Cena brings to the match. Then you have Benoit vs. Nash, and I think Benoit goes over. So I'm going with a Goldberg vs. Benoit round 4 matchup.

I am not liking The Miz and Kennedy match up, Kennedy's very much an internet favourtie while Miz gets JBL style hate, strange considering that Miz does everything better than Kennedy. Mic skills are WAY better, all Kennedy can do is shout his own name really loud. His ring skills are better, even if Kennedy's were any good he'd injure himself about 3 minutes into the match anyway.

Vote for The Miz.

Although my money's on Cena and Goldberg to meet in the finals where I'll be voting Cena, Goldberg had a good run in WCW and started well in the WWE beating The Rock but it wasnt long before he fizzled out and became pretty shitty. Cena on the other hand is getting stronger all the time and is doing a great job winning over his haters, so I'll be voting Cena in the final. Provided both men make it that far that is.

Here are the results of the Boston Sub Region.

1. John Cena vs. Bryan Danielson: 62-14. In the match that received the most votes thus far, Cena proves to be too much for the Dragon.

2. Verne Gagne vs. Stevie Richards: 37-11. After getting the wildcard, Stevie gets smacked right out in the first round.

3. Goldberg vs. Castagnoli: 56-5. Thanks for coming mr. Claudio. Goldberg does what he does in WCW, and that's win.

4. Shane Douglas vs. Paul London: 34-10. The Franchise beats down teh career whining bitch rather easily.

5. Chris Benoit vs. Ludvig Borga: 54-9. Well Mr. Borga, this isn't 1993, and you aren't the dominate foreigner, Chris Benoit is.

6. Kennedy vs. The Miz: 37-31. Kennedy pulls away at the end in this highly contested debate. Kennedy, congratulations, you have a 2nd round match with the Crippler.

7. Kevin Nash vs. Jay Lethal: 53-11. Nash is dominate in WCW against Cruiserweights, and that's exactly what happens here. Big Daddy Cool Moves onto round 2.

8. Steve Corino vs. Mike Awesome: 25-27. Corino was up by one with 1 day to go, and manages to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory. Mike Awesome moves on.

Round 2 Matchups.
#4. John Cena vs. #29 Verne Gagne
13. Goldberg vs. 20. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas

5. Chris Benoit vs. 28. Mr. Kennedy
12. Kevin Nash vs. 44. Mike Awesome

Nah Corino didn't lose it, idiot voters won it. If you are voting and not posting reasons for it, you lose all respect from me. in Fact red rep most likely. I am certain that people voted for Awesome because he was an Agile big man and acted as if it was under ECW rules, which is the way a large majority would have seen him Wrestle last with One Night Stand. This is a travesty and a result of people being ignorant of the rules of the tournament.

Nah Corino didn't lose it, idiot voters won it. If you are voting and not posting reasons for it, you lose all respect from me. in Fact red rep most likely. I am certain that people voted for Awesome because he was an Agile big man and acted as if it was under ECW rules, which is the way a large majority would have seen him Wrestle last with One Night Stand. This is a travesty and a result of people being ignorant of the rules of the tournament.

I'm with Shadow. Was Corino going to beat Nash? Probably not. But, he should've beaten Awesome. I like that it was as close as it was, but that's a bunch of crap.

Kennedy beating Miz is a bunch of crap too. Again, neither was going over Benoit, but it's still wrong.

Explain to me how The Miz should have gone over Kennedy. The Miz has done nothing in his singles career. Kennedy on the other hand, has defeated The Undertaker, Batista, and Booker T. He's won the Money in the Bank. Kennedy also had a long United States Championship reign. The right man won the match.

I'm looking forward to Benoit/Kennedy. Benoit has beaten Kennedy for the U.S. Title but that was mainly from interference from the Undertaker. Kennedy has beaten many world champions but he never beat Benoit. I still think the Miz should have went over Kennedy, but Benoit will have his hands full.

Round 2 Results.

John Cena vs. Verne Gagne: 38-11 John Cena continues to impress in this tournament as he's taken down both Danielson and Gagne in the first two rounds. No self booking here, as the AWA strong hold goes home

Goldberg vs. Douglas: 41-7. What else to say besides, Who's Next?

Benoit vs. Kennedy: 42-7. Benoit destroys the Mr. Potential in this matchup. On paper, this match isn't close, and in this reality, it wasn't.

Nash vs. Awesome: 32-5. In a battle of the big man, Big Sexy completely over whelms that 80's guy.

Round 3 Matches:

4. John Cena
13. Goldberg

5. Chris Benoit
12. Kevin Nash

GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG!

John Cena has a history of losing to monsters his first time facing them. This would be no different. Goldberg is stronger than Cena, not something most can say, which takes away a huge part of Cena's offense. I'm a Cena fan and I really wanted him to make it far in this tournament, but he simply cannot match Goldberg here.

Nash vs Benoit is tricky. Benoit gets a lot more love after his death, which is pretty strange... ;) He was always really good in the ring and fun to watch, but aside from his title reign, he never did much. He made a career of fighting mid-carders and he was never dominate. Even as champion, he lost many matches. I think Nash takes this one, unfortunately.

I don't like Goldberg or Cena much to be honest, but at least Cena did pay his dues. Goldberg got so big based soley on his looks. He never had love for the business, he was just a burned out football player whose career was over and he needed something to pay the bills. The guy was shit in the ring and I wouldn't trade one Cena for five Goldbergs. It'd be a good match between powerhouses and they both have two of the most overrated finishers in the business. Goldberg used an overly inflated vertical suplex while Cena uses a slightly altered Fireman's Carry takedown. To me, Goldberg was a flash in the pan that burned out quickly. Goldberg was big for a couple of years but he just sorta faded away. I can't make myself vote for Goldberg here.

Speaking of overrated, most of Kevin Nash's success in the business is due to being a skilled backstage politician rather than ability. Nash was a shitty WWF Champion, but he was a shitty WWF Champion for approximately 51 weeks. Like him or not, that's something that's hard to ignore. At the same time, when I look at the debacles surrounding Nash when he was WCW Champion, I just have to shake my head with disgust. His first reign ended by laying down for Hogan, his third reign began with him awarding himself the strap and his 4th reign ended with him awarding it to Ric Flair. I know it's Ric Flair, but that's just not what a champ does.

As far as this tournament goes and Benoit's status as a wrestler, I don't care that he killed his family and then himself. Has nothing to do with his ability in the ring. He's still one of the best workers in history as far as I'm concerned. A guy that lived and breathed the business versus a politician. Please vote Benoit.

Czena sux, 'cuz he only knowes five movez.

HOWEVER...

Goldbergz sux 'cuz he only knowes three movez!!!

Two of the biggest draws of the last 15 years clash, and in the end, Cena takes the victory. Goldberg is softer, and contrary to anti-Cena beliefs, John does possess more technical knowledge that Big Bill. Cena moves on to face Benoit.

HOWEVER...

Two of the biggest draws of the last 15 years clash, and in the end, Cena takes the victory. Goldberg is softer, and contrary to anti-Cena beliefs, John does possess more technical knowledge that Big Bill. Cena moves on to face Benoit.

I agree completely here. Cena has way more technical know how then Goldberg. This will not be a squash match for either guy. Both are poweer houses. Both guys are going to get pushed and tested. Its going to come down to who is willing to take more pain and who is willing too sacrifice themselves for the win....basically passion and who has more of it. And that is a simple answer...John Cena. Cena, a guy who everyone on these forums basically and all the active and innactive wwe superstars say loves this business and will never leave it vs a guy in Goldbnerg who walked away to do other things. Please dont give the argument he did everything he possibly could in the business because Cena has done more in the business and outside of it too. Cena wins this one with his passion and heart.

HOWEVER...

Yeah, that's probably true. Although Goldberg has a bit more power, Cena probably would be able to tech his way out. I would enjoy seeing Goldberg moving on here, but I doubt it'll happen. However, I know this'll be a battle for the ages. Cena moves on to face Benoit. And then loses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back