The WCW Region: General Discussion

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The WCW Region

The WCW Region is a region that is peformed under the basic rules of the older WCW. The only thing that would separate this from a typical WWE match is that the ring entrance is on the same level with the ring itself. If you have never seen this layout, make sure to check it out, it's an interesting set up. The WCW Region is the host of the #2 Overall seed, and the winner of this region will face off against the winner of the ECW Region in the final four.

The Rules: The WCW Region is performed under the basic rules of WCW. Very similar to the WWE in regards to rules. However, this is the newer version of WCW, so the over the top rope disqualification rule is non existant in this tournament.

The Georgia Dome: The fourth and fifth rounds will be held in the Georgia Dome, the hub of all things WCW. The fourth round will feature a random gimmick match, while the fifth round holds two matches. One will be a 60 minute Iron Man Matchup, where the person with the most decisions will be the winner, while the other match up is the WCW Tripled Tiered Cage match. More on these matches will be explained when the time comes.

Matchups.
The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Tampa, FL
1. "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan
64. Pat O'Connor

32. Abdullah The Butcher
33. Irwin R. Schyster

16. Tito Santana
49. Floyd "Money" Mayweather

17. Sgt. Slaughter
48. The Shockmaster

8. "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith
57. Pat Patterson

25. "The Suicidal, Homicidal, Genocidal, Death Defying, Sabu"
40. Big John Studd

9. Rey Mysterio Jr.
56. The Sandman

24. "The Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich
41. Homicide

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Boston, MA
4. John Cena
61. Brian Danielson

29. Verne Gagne
36. "Big Stevie Cool" Stevie Richards

13. Goldberg
52. Claudio Castagnoli

20. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas
45. Paul London

5. "The Crippler" Chris Benoit
60. Ludvig Borga

28. Mr. Kennedy
37. Mike "The Miz" Mizanin

12. "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash
53. "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal

21. "The King of Old School" Steve Corino
44. "The Gladiator" Mike Awesome

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Houston, TX
2. The Undertaker
63. The Great Khali

31. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
34. Billy Kidman

15. Jerry "The King" Lawler
50. "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer

18. "The Human Suplex Machine" Taz
47. Rikishi Phatu

7. "The Hardcore Legend" Terry Funk
58. Danny Hodge

26. Alex Shelley
39. D-Von Dudley

10. Yokozuna
55. Earthquake

23. Mitsuharu Misawa
42. "The Tennessee Cowboy" James Storm

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Los Angeles, CA
3. Sting
62. "Maple Leaf Muscle" Petey Williams

30. Tommy Dreamer
35. One Man Gang

14. Lou Thesz
51. "Wrestlezone's Own" Disco Inferno

19. The Iron Sheik
46. Psicosis

6. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero
59. "The Notorious K.I.D." Kid Kash

27. The Junkyard Dog
38. Marty Jannetty

11. "The King of the Mountain" Jeff Jarrett
54. El Canek

22. Ultimo Dragon
43. Masato Tanaka

Round 2 Matches:
Tampa, Fl.

1. Hulk Hogan
33. Mike Rotunda

16. Tito Santana
17. Sgt. Slaughter

8. Davey Boy Smith
40. Big John Studd

9. Rey Mysterio Jr.
24. Kerry Von Erich

Round 2:
Boston, Ma
Round 2 Matchups.
4. John Cena
29 Verne Gagne

13. Goldberg
20. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas

5. Chris Benoit
28. Mr. Kennedy

12. Kevin Nash
44. Mike Awesome

Round 2 Matches:
Houston, TX

2. The Undertaker
Bye

15. Jerry Lawler
18. Taz

7. Terry Funk
26. Alex Shelley

10. Yokozuna
23. Mitsuharu Misawa

Round 2
LA, Ca.

3. Sting
35. One Man Gang

14. Lou Thesz
19. The Iron Sheik

6. Eddie Guerrero
27. Junk Yard Dog

11. Jeff Jarrett
22. Ultimo Dragon

Round 3 Matches:
Tampa, Fl.

1. Hulk Hogan
16. Tito Santana

8. Davey Boy Smith
9. Rey Mysterio Jr.

Boston, MA
4. John Cena
13. Goldberg

5. Chris Benoit
12. Kevin nash

Round 3.
Houston, TX

2. The Undertaker
18. Taz

7. Terry Funk
23. Mitsuharu Misawa

Round 3.
Los Angeles, CA.

3. Sting
14. Lou Thesz

6. Eddie Guerrero
11. Jeff Jarrett

Simply put, Hulk Hogan should win this region. The other top seeds are all guys he has beaten before, and could again sans Cena of course. He is also far more decorated than any of them, so regardless of what criteria you use to vote, Hulk Hogan had BETTER make the final four this year.

Also, a shocker with Cena, and how high of a seeding he recieved. A huge change from last year, and its amazing how much respect the man has earned in a years time

Taker is an interesting choice here. He's the epitome of a WWF guy. Would he survive down south? I think so. Cena, as far as the top four goes, is in over his head by a bit here. He's up against three of the biggest names of all time, including the biggest name of all time, and the biggest WCW name of all time. Throw in Deadman who I don't think he's ever beaten, and Cena doens't survive. I'll also go with Deadman over Hogan. He leads the all time series 2-1, and I could easily see him taking this one as well. It would be a gimmick match, and I can't picture Hogan lasting 60 minutes.

Edit because it's a one line thing: Hogan is 1-2 again Taker. They split two matches in 1991, and Taker beat him for the Undisputed Title in 2002.

This is a stacked group. I wouldn't say Hogan is a lock in this thing by a long shot. Hogan is 2-1 in one on one pay per view matches with the Undertaker, and as far as I know, Hogan has never beat Sting cleanly in the ring. For me, the three top seeds other then Hogan are perhaps Hogans worst nightmare. He matches with guys that either match up with speed, charisma, or no selling as good as he does. Essentially, you're dealing with four guys that are cut from the same mold.

Cena is the weak link of the group, and when you're talking about Cena as a weak link, you are talking about a very strong top four. If the top seeds hold out, you have the potential of Cena vs. Hogan, as Slyfox rips his head off, and Sting vs. Taker. Damn good.

you know, Hogan should win this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hogan hate is at its highest when he either faces Sting or Taker. I believe Hogans beaten em all and I believe the WCW region benefits him over the Taker, and Cena. And when Hogan and Sting were in WCW Hogan was simply better.

It isn't a lock, but Hogan should at least get to the finals.

Hogan is definitely not a lock in the WCW region. I hate to say it, because he is the best performer of all time. He has never beaten Sting cleanly, and The Undertaker has beaten Hogan for the title TWICE. Put into perspective that Hogan was a joke in the last two years of WCW anyways and he isnt as strong in this region as he would be in the WWE Region. I fully expect it to come down to The Undertaker and Sting.

Who better to take the WCW region than the greatest name to ever grace WCW? Sting should win this, but I wouldn't be surprised by a 'Taker win, either. Sting and Taker each have beaten Hulk clean, Taker doing it for the title twice. Hogan never pinned Sting cleanly. Sting was able to single handedly take out Hogan's entire stable himself. I haven't even mentioned Cena. He doesn't have extensive history with anyone here, but you can never count him out.

Vote Sting.

I see this as Stings environment. Hogan has come into here once, and was chased out by Sting. Sting gets that advantage. Now facing someone like Cena, that is interesting, because Cena is young, and Cena is pumped, but the Atlanta heat is too much for him I believe. So this leads me with the Deadman. What a feud these two could have. All in all, Sting has the big advantage there. But in a straight fight for the tournament, Hulk will put up a huge fight and all of these men have a chance.

Cena will definitely be the wild-card here. His career didn't even start until after WCW was bought out, and there's no telling how he'd handle himself in the gimmick matches. Undertaker is a great wrestler, but an Iron Man match may be his downfall, or could be his easiest match. There's no telling, until we see who he faces. Hogan should go on to the finals, and is lucky he got the possible gimmick matches here, as I don't see the TNA or ECW gimmick matches working to his favor.

Alas, Sting is the definite favorite. He is WCW, and knows how to work a match there better than anyone. Hogan was well past his prime in his tenure there, while Sting was still on the rise. the earlier part of his career saw him as technician based, and a lot more aerial than what he was as "A Man Called Sting". His moveset works the best, and he could easily beat Cena, in my opinion. The possibility of a Sting v. Undertaker match has me drooling.

Hogan doesn't stand a chance of beating The Undertaker. It won't even be close if those two face off. Either way I'll be doing my best to get people to not vote for any of the big guns.

This is the toughest region to call a winner because two of the top four seeds are favourites to win this region and between those two anything is possible.

The winner of this region will qualify by beating his opponent in either a 60 min ironman challenge or a 3 tiered steel cage match. But will the winner have anything left at all to advance in the semis?

Now on to the seeds

HOGAN is the biggest name in wrestling and he is the one who made WCW beat WWE in the ratings when he led the biggest and largest heel group there ever was. He loses to no one until its time for the finals where he will face either UNDERTAKER or STING. Then he will loose sending fans into a mixed feeling of dismay, disbelief, shock and anger . Reason is that as good as he doesnt have the stamina to last 60 minutes not the agility to climb faster than sting (who hogan cant beat cleanly in his prime) or the undertaker (who wont be kept down by leg drops ; even if hogan wins first fall undertaker will tie it and then eventually score a lead over hogan in under 40 min). Need i remind you what undertaker can do inside the hell in the cell. There is no way he loses to hogan in a 3 tired steel cage.

STING - WCWs franchise player against the NWO. He is the best technical wrestler of all the top four seeds in this region. HE cant be stopped by anyone other than the undertaker.

UNDERTAKER - Big match player. And with the large crowd in georgia dome witnessing the phenom in the WCW ring in a rare appearance we have a spectacle on our hands. Who can beat him? Absolutely no one.
Who will beat him ? STING ( only if it is an ironman match) not because he should but because only in WCW and not in any other 4 sided ring anywhere in the world he can.

JOHN CENA When he was last seen in an ECW ring crowd yelled abuses at him. When he will enter the WCW ring the scene will be much different. Crowd will be silent when he comes out. People will start yawning 2 minutes into the match and snoring by the end of it and if its still monday night wars going on on tv people will flip the channel . Thats how IMPACTFUL john cena will be in the WCW ring. He goes home as soon as he draws against even a decent upper midcarder of WCW.

PREDICTION- the winner of the match between UNDERTAKER and STING will win this region.

special request- set aside the rules and book CENA vs GOLDBERG in round one. cena cuts a 5 min rap promo about how no one can beat him only to be interrupted by GOLDBERGs fire eating entry.........SPEAR........JACKHAMMER..........end of story:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::

Simply put, Hulk Hogan should win this region.
If it only becomes a popularity contest rather than judging a winner of a paticular match under a particular promotion against a particular arena and under a particular gimick rule, then hogan wins every match.

The other top seeds are all guys he has beaten before

-including one HOGAN has lost to twice
-including another who cleaned the ring single handedly of all of HOGANs cronies by using a baseball bat , then going on to beat HOGAN at the most anticipated main event match at arguably the biggest pay per view that the company ever produced

and could again sans Cena of course

as if CENA will win 3 matches in a row ( it can happen provided that he gets only crappy undercard wrestlers as opponents and not even talented ones like rey mysterio jr etc

He is also far more decorated than any of them [QUOTE/]
but not more decorated than the likes of edge , jericho etc. considering their number and variety of titles won over the career. But few if any fans would put these guys over HOGAN in a typical and non gimmick wrestling match. Because being decorated is a major criteria but not the only criteria. A sum total of many factors weigh in to give one wrestler the nod over the other.

so regardless of what criteria you use to vote, Hulk Hogan had BETTER make the final four this year
He deserves to, but he might not make it . Because the tournament format is such. It is a knock out tounament. One loss and that wrestler is eliminated. Matches against STING and UNDERTAKER will be difficult to win for hogan even if non gimick and WCWs trademark stipulations further eat away HOGANs chance of victory if opponent is either STING or UNDERTAKER.

Also, a shocker with Cena, and how high of a seeding he recieved
. A huge change from last year, and its amazing how much respect the man has earned in a years time

Its not respect in most cases, its the tendency to swallow whats stuck in the throat because no matter how hard one spits, the ugly sensation of something stuck in the throat still persists.

Hulk Hogan will make it far, but once he reaches either gimmick match he'll be done. I've never seen Hulk Hogan go for a solid hour, even in his prime. And if he gets put inside the Triple Tier Cage, well.. I just don't think, again even in his prime, that he'd have the speed to match with guy's like Cena, Sting or even Taker.

I think the long shot is Chris Benoit, but the sad thing is.. no matter how much talent and right an individual in this tournament has, the one defining issue is that fans vote for favorites regardless if they belong or not, and fans hold grudges against personal issues. (ie. the murder situation will hurt Benoit, even though it shouldn't hold a place in this tournament)

I'm going to be backing Sting throughout this entire region, as Sting is the logical best choice. He's quicker than Hulk Hogan, and can match Hogan's power, with Sting's endurance.

Not to mention, if Sting and Hogan go at it in either a Cage or an Iron man, Sting should have it solidly locked as he has more speed to out-climb Hogan in a Cage.. and more endurance, to out go Hogan in an hour match.

Will and I have been agreeing a lot, so far. With the top nine seeds revealed, I see no one that should go over Sting. Will already covered Hogan not having endurance. I don't see him making it past the gimmicks because of that. This region should come down to Sting and Taker.

And thus, Chris Benoit makes his entrance to the most stacked region... so far. Sting, Hogan, Undertaker and Cena definitely harshly contrast with Benoit's wrestling style - well, maybe not Undertaker. If they're the sort that will be popular in this tournament, we may have some difficulty. But Benoit will feel as natural in a WCW ring as anybody else in this tournament. Matches with the likes of Misterio, Guerrero and Davey Boy could well be very interesting.

Hmmmm, what are my predictions in this region? I have three:

1) Look for Mysterio and Hogan to face off. I think that Mysterio will make a valiant effort, but that Hogan's staunch supporters will pull him through.

2) Sting will crush his competition, as Monkey is campaigning for him like his life depends on it. As things stand right now, I plan on endorsing Sting in the Los Angeles, CA, section of the WCW region.

3) I smell an upset with Funk defeating The Undertaker to win his section of the WCW region. I plan to wholeheartedly support Funk in this section, even against the Deadman (I know that I'll more than likely face formidable opposition).

Sting is going to win this bracket. He must. Anyway..

You think that Funk is going to beat Undertaker? What exactly did Funk do that didn't involve barbed wire or chairs? I can't remember anything. The Undertaker would eat Terry Funk.

This is where I will have to break out some of the old NWA knowledge. While I won't break out the knowledge just yet, I'll just say that, a long time ago (even before my time), Funk was an exceptional wrestler. If this were a pissing contest, the one thing Funk would have over The Undertaker from the start is that he has had two primes (admittedly, The Undertaker has had an exceptional prime, given how long he has managed to stay relevant): one as an NWA noteworthy (keep in mind the territory system here; being significant enough to hold the NWA Championship during the territory days is quite an accomplishment), and one as a hardcore legend.

Sting is going to win this bracket. He must. Anyway..

You think that Funk is going to beat Undertaker? What exactly did Funk do that didn't involve barbed wire or chairs? I can't remember anything. The Undertaker would eat Terry Funk.

When I saw you were aligning against my SHW's in ECW's region, I admit, I was a little concerned.

Then I read this post. And I felt better, because you have SO MUCH learning to do.

Terry Funk has been a legend of wrestling since LONG BEFORE he became known as a hardcore guy. He's as synonymous with NWA Greatness as Flair, Rhodes, and Race.

Pull up a chair, 48.7. You're going to learn a whole new world of professional wrestling knowledge during the next 7 weeks.

I just noticed that Yokozuna is in here. He's a major wildcard. At 500+ pounds, he has a chance to beat anyone. He is in the Houston bracket. As it stands, he'll have to go through Terry Funk. Tdigle predicated that Funk would win this section. How do you expcet the Funker to go over Yokozuna? I don't see a way. After Funk, I could see him squeaking past the Undertaker to take the section. How would Taker get Yokozuna up for a chokeslam or for the tombstone? He'd have to make him tap.

When I saw you were aligning against my SHW's in ECW's region, I admit, I was a little concerned.

Then I read this post. And I felt better, because you have SO MUCH learning to do.

Terry Funk has been a legend of wrestling since LONG BEFORE he became known as a hardcore guy. He's as synonymous with NWA Greatness as Flair, Rhodes, and Race.

Pull up a chair, 48.7. You're going to learn a whole new world of professional wrestling knowledge during the next 7 weeks.

I am looking forward to it. I love to learn things. Being fifteen, I'll admit that I do not have the same wealth of old-school knowledge that you and Shocky and others have. I'll do my best to learn about them, though.

Regarding the ECW region situation. I wouldn't consider Vader to be too old school. I look forward to Lesnar going over him.

I just noticed that Yokozuna is in here. He's a major wildcard. At 500+ pounds, he has a chance to beat anyone. He is in the Houston bracket. As it stands, he'll have to go through Terry Funk. Tdigle predicated that Funk would win this section. How do you expcet the Funker to go over Yokozuna? I don't see a way. After Funk, I could see him squeaking past the Undertaker to take the section. How would Taker get Yokozuna up for a chokeslam or for the tombstone? He'd have to make him tap.

Funk is a notorious cheater. I can only assume that he would distract the referee in some way to either use his branding iron or cowbell. Furthermore, Funk could probably survive a nuclear holocaust. While he faces suffocation against Yokozuna, I'm pretty sure he'll manage to get past this just like he has with every other problem.

WOW....ignorance just truly be bliss, you may serioulsy want to do a little research before trying to take on the Funker

I'm going to be backing Sting throughout this entire region, as Sting is the logical best choice. He's quicker than Hulk Hogan, and can match Hogan's power, with Sting's endurance.

I'm backing Sting as well, but I still think Benoit is a favorite in his bracket, and could be a darkhorse into the later rounds. WCW is stacked, so I wouldn't be surpruised at any number of winners.

WOW....ignorance just truly be bliss, you may serioulsy want to do a little research before trying to take on the Funker

I'm going to stick with what Justin said. Funk's hardcore days make me cry. It was great to watch, but wasn't anything compared to what he used to be. Once he first "retired", it all went downhill. However, I still don't think he's going to get far, in part because people don't know his wrestling abilities, and in part because he's stuck with the Undertaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back