• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vince taking "No Blood" too far

This is taking it a bit far. You shouldn't stop the match for the sake of mothers freaking out over blood. It was a little blood on Cena, not a SAW murder scene. Do kids these days not scrape their knees or get cut? Blood has been a part of wrestling being able to escalate feuds and make them more personal. Blood is as essential as the sneak pin. That analogy might be a bit much but I can't think of anything.

i agree with you dude hell back in the original pg era in the 80's had blood in the match and Vince never stopped it. i understand that he didn't want to cost his wife a spot in congress but Vinny Mack come on stopping an Iron Man Macth because of blood is fuckin stupid. OH MY GOD JOHN CENA IS BLEEDING NOW IS LESS PRETTY, this is why i like TNA i mean if a guy is bleeding the match keeps going look at Abyss has been busted open so many times i have lost count and nobody was sent out to the ring to check on him and i am also happy john got busted open the hard way hell maybe it knocked some sense into him to get the hell out of the wrestling game and go back to pumping steroids and lifting weights

The only thing wrong with the match was that Randy Orton tapped out with 5seconds left. A character like Randy who would do anything to have that title would never tap out with only 5 seconds left to hang on. Otherwise, the match was booked very well. I watched the ppv last night and if anyone thought the blood was a planned spot, I'm sorry. It was obvious it wasn't supposed to happen. Michael Cole was standing up waving to the doctors and Jerry Lawler was looking around like 'oh god, what do we do'. I understand blood being an issue in this so-called PG era. I've never watched a match to see someone get busted open. I care enough about the wrestlers I watch that I don't want to see them years later looking like Dusty Rhodes or Carlos Colon where their foreheads look like they've been sewed back together. Anyway, I liked the match very much until Cena won with the STF. I mean when was the last time you saw one wrestler purposely try to blow someone up with fireworks. That was cool.

Ok, there were two things wrong with the match, they shouldn't have had the countdown clock up the whole time. It created the feeling of '30 minutes left how are they going to fill that time' rather than just loosing yourself in the action.

I totally agree with the No Blood policy going too far. It was a brutal match and Cena was cut legitimately. Making it more brutal. And then they have an ACTUAL cut team come out, glue Cena's eye, and continue. You've got to be kidding me. I mean, I respect it in that it's the best thing for the WWE to do to get the sponsors they want, but at what cost to quality wrestling?

Sometimes, wrestling is bloody. Being hit with a chair and a TV monitor cuts you. So does a cage. So does steps to the head. I mean seriously. There's only so much you can do to make the show cookie cutter. At least let legit blood be shown every so often. When it is, it's more special now. When that shot to the head happened and blood started coming... it was as if the IWC collectively screamed at that moment. And some of the fans were surprised, too. But not bad surprised. Good surprised. The brutality of a match can be summed up into one scene where someone's busted open.

The WWE's taken that away.

I really think that the letters on my Keyboard that spell 'Who Cares' are going to fade seriously after today.

So many people complaining about every little thing, yes it was stupid for him to stop the bout BUT he was covering his ass legally and his business. He didn't want to risk anything and thats just fine by me.

Although I feel a little blood would have added to the match I can certainly understand why he did this, whether or not I agree with it.

Just My Opinion.

Ok heres another perspective that nobody has looked at. Suppose they let Cena bleed and continue to bleed throughout the match. Certainly that would have put a drain on Cena's energy which would lead to a question of could Cena make it through the rest of the match with most of it yet to go. So I think it was the right move to come out and stop the bleeding rather than letting him bleed and then Cena run out of gas half way through the match because he has lost too much blood.

I understand that Cena wasnt meant to bleed so it was probably right to treat because otherwise it could of injured him further which i never like to see happen to someone who is trying to entertain me. But on the otherhand yes WWE has gone PG however, in a 60 minute match that is no DQ in a world where children know a lot more than kids did 20yrs ago. what im tryin to say is kids these days know that if you get hit in the head with a tv monitor the chances are you might bleed. So now WWE have been making us true fans feel stupid for the last year now he his making kids feel stupid. So i think in future hardcore stipulation matches they should have blood especially with these stupid gimmick ppvs. i mean 3 hell in a cells and no1 bled WWE are offending me and there newly found PG fans who arent stupid this aint the 80s no more vince guarantee kids dont take there vitamins like hogan used 2 tell us.

Having this "no blood" policy implemented into the WWE system isn't such a bad idea, considering they are trying to be more family-oriented. It doesn't bother me that after a brutal beatdown by a faction or by a couple of people doesn't contain blood or a cage match not being able to draw blood. It helps out the wrestlers going throught the pain of blading themselves to death and end with scared body tissue like Dusty Rhodes (look at his forehead).

But, Vince is taking it too far if the reports of him being upset and worried as all hell when Orton accidently busted up Cena during the Iron Man Match are true. That match needed to have a little blood to make it interesting as it was 60 minutes don't forget. It is rare to have a rivalry this huge where the rules are falls count anywhere and no dq to have no bleeding occur... it just doesn't make sense. The fact that the wound was opened for real gives the fan some perspective on how much Cena and Orton hate each other as they are willing to risk everything just to gain the victory.

Overall, I don't mind the "no blood" rule... but during matches like the Iron Man we saw at Bragging Rights should have the possibiliy of bleeding, whether blading was neccessary or not.

Just for the record, being hit with objects will not always make you bleed. I've been hit over the head with bottles, baseball bats, I've had bar stools smashed into firewood over my head and guess what.......I DIDN'T BLEED!!!! If you people are so desperate to see blood go to a bar and have a knife fight, then you'll see the blood you so crave. Problem is of course; it will be your blood, and that might make you think twice about blood being SOOOOOOOO great and necessary. It's quite amusing that there are so many people bitching about this who didn't even see it. I know that people don't like Cena, and I don't much care for him myself, but do you really want to see someone get injured badly. Check out what happens with blood loss, and think of the fact that working the match like they did the heart pumps faster and harder, which in turn will pump the blood out of a cut that much faster, leading to disorientation, blurred vision, dizzyness, unconciousness. Yeah I suppose iot would have been better if the match had then been stopped after 30minutes because cena was unconcious.

Just for the record, being hit with objects will not always make you bleed. I've been hit over the head with bottles, baseball bats, I've had bar stools smashed into firewood over my head and guess what.......I DIDN'T BLEED!!!! If you people are so desperate to see blood go to a bar and have a knife fight, then you'll see the blood you so crave. Problem is of course; it will be your blood, and that might make you think twice about blood being SOOOOOOOO great and necessary. It's quite amusing that there are so many people bitching about this who didn't even see it. I know that people don't like Cena, and I don't much care for him myself, but do you really want to see someone get injured badly. Check out what happens with blood loss, and think of the fact that working the match like they did the heart pumps faster and harder, which in turn will pump the blood out of a cut that much faster, leading to disorientation, blurred vision, dizzyness, unconciousness. Yeah I suppose iot would have been better if the match had then been stopped after 30minutes because cena was unconcious.

Two things.

A) Being hit with an object can most certainly make you bleed. To suggest otherwise because you personally haven't experienced it is asinine. Anecdotal "evidence" isn't exactly reliable. Being hit hard enough with an object will absolutely 100% make you bleed. Have you not ever seen a fist fight?

B) The cut on Cena's head was minor at best, and you're talking about how dangerous it was for him? Are you shitting me? Blading has been a part of the business for decades, and apart from the Mass Transit incident, there has almost never been a case of someone seriously injuring themselves from bleeding. Do you think when someone blades they bleed safer or something? Cena has worn the crimson mask before and was perfectly fine, to suggest he was in serious danger over a fucking cut on his head is absurd.

A) Being hit with an object can most certainly make you bleed. To suggest otherwise because you personally haven't experienced it is asinine. Anecdotal "evidence" isn't exactly reliable. Being hit hard enough with an object will absolutely 100% make you bleed. Have you not ever seen a fist fight?

I'm sorry but you’re wrong, being hit hard does not 100% mean you will bleed, your likley to...but its not 100%. I got wacked on the head in a cricket game, knocked me out cold, gave me concussion, the doctor I saw said I was lucky it didn’t crack my skull....but it didn’t break skin. I had a lump like a fecking mountain on my head, but didn’t bleed once.

Sure if you hit someone hard, all likelihood is they will bleed (esp. if its not with a blunt object), but to be 100% sure you make them bleed, you would have to hit them hard enough to cause serious internal damage. Like breaking bones, cracking their skull, maybe even kill them (well with a blunt object anyway).

Honestly, I don’t care if someone bleeds, I think people can take it too far sometimes (See Abyse at the end of Impact the other week with blood gushing out of his head....made me feel sick), and if they were going to fight in the crowd, I can see why they wanted to patch him up...hell if people can sue Disneyland for "Mental Distress" because they saw Mickey taking his outfit off, they has sue WWE for getting a face full of Cena Blood.

I'm sorry but you’re wrong, being hit hard does not 100% mean you will bleed, your likley to...but its not 100%. I got wacked on the head in a cricket game, knocked me out cold, gave me concussion, the doctor I saw said I was lucky it didn’t crack my skull....but it didn’t break skin. I had a lump like a fecking mountain on my head, but didn’t bleed once.

Sure if you hit someone hard, all likelihood is they will bleed (esp. if its not with a blunt object), but to be 100% sure you make them bleed, you would have to hit them hard enough to cause serious internal damage. Like breaking bones, cracking their skull, maybe even kill them (well with a blunt object anyway).

I didn't mean 100% of the time when you're struck with an object you'll bleed, I meant that you most certainly (as in 100% certain) can bleed from being hit with an object. Fighters in the UFC for example are busted open all the time from shots to the face. Should have worded it better.

Vince is sacrificing his fans for his wife, plain and simple. I like Vince, but sometimes he does go too far, and this obviously is one of them. That's all I can say on the issue.

For Wrestling to be any good once again there needs to be blood! Vince will come around sometime next year and finally realize this. Wrestling fans are gonna get bored which most of us already are. I personally think that this PG rating will not last and we all will see a change sometime in 2010.

I think it will be interesting to see what they do with it on the DVD release of the PPV. Will they censor the blood? Will they edit that part out?

Vince apparently flipping out backstage is a little much but patching Cena up during the match is something that should be expected if blood appears during a live match. There is a no blood policy in place (or they just choose not to use it, not sure which) and something like that happening would be against said policy and would need to be fixed, and being live they can't edit it out like they could if it was on ECW or Smackdown.

Vince is sacrificing his fans for his wife, plain and simple. I like Vince, but sometimes he does go too far, and this obviously is one of them. That's all I can say on the issue.

Do you really honestly think that is what he is doing?

I just can't accept that Vince had the foresight to know that Linda was 100% committed to running for Senate back in 2006, when he made his move towards PG programming. They may have been contemplating a potential move, but I seriously doubt Vince and Linda's minds were made up on actually doing it back then.

The shift towards PG programming began in the later part of 2006. So this really isn't anything new.

I do think Superstar Billy Graham is off his rocker on this one.

In my opinion, Vince went the direction of PG television because it was better for public relations (especially after the Benoit deaths) and it was more attractive to more mainstream and lucrative advertisers. And Vince knew that a majority of his base is so addicted to wrestling, they would watch no matter what he puts on the air.

The shift towards PG programming began in the later part of 2006. So this really isn't anything new.

That statement peaks my curiosity. Where did this transition really begin? And can anyone pinpoint the exact date that Raw went PG? I realize that's kind of a statement that can be taken as an oxymoron since you can't really pinpoint the beginning of a transition... but maybe an apprx. time? I don't know why this sticks out in my mind so much, but 2 weeks prior to the first episode of Raw with the PG rating, I remember this very vividly...

Mickie James had matches both weeks prior to the PG switch, and right before she performed her finisher, she would kiss the Diva she was wrestling. Not a quick peck, but pretty much would lay one on her. Now I believe this was in late 2008. The next week when I noticed the PG rating during the intro, Mickie had a match... no laying one on her opponents mouth. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that 2006 seems a little early to say that's when the transition began. Because in late 08, there were girls kissing girls on Raw. Just some clarification I'd like to see from Sidious since he said what he said and he's a very good poster and he can back it up.

But to the topic at hand, I do believe that Vince took the no blood thing too far at the PPV. I was attending the PPV as well and to stop the flow of that match to treat a cut that Cena earned the hard way, was ridiculous. Someone earlier said that if there's kids that are already up til 10 and 11 on a school night watching men "beat up" other men, then what is the harm of some blood? Kids get hurt and see blood on the playground every single day in school... so why not on TV? It's not like they're using guns a la Austin/Brian Pillman on Raw, or even Austin with the "Bang 3:16" and Vince pissing his pants. Then it turn the PG rating doesn't support Jericho beating the bejesus out of Flair during the opening segment of a Raw prior to WM of this year. Why did the PG Rating not fly then? Blood doesn't denote something having to be violent. Like I said, you already have men beating on other men. I think if Vince toned down the blood, and pretty much got rid of the more mature sexual themes and language, he'd still have a good product because I personally don't miss the "sexual" sides and segments with the Divas since it's not like they were going to get naked and go at it anyway. The language has also been toned down and it's not something I miss either. However the blood, I think needs to stay in minimal and only "essential"
situations will have the blood. Just my :twocents:

That statement peaks my curiosity. Where did this transition really begin? And can anyone pinpoint the exact date that Raw went PG? I realize that's kind of a statement that can be taken as an oxymoron since you can't really pinpoint the beginning of a transition... but maybe an apprx. time? I don't know why this sticks out in my mind so much, but 2 weeks prior to the first episode of Raw with the PG rating, I remember this very vividly...

In 2006, I remember there being 2 risquee segments on Raw.

The first was one I was actually in attendance for-- that being the Live Sex Celebration back in January, which helped the show score a 4.1 rating. The segment itself, however did in the 5's.

The second one was around the time of the Great American Bash, when Triple H and Candice Michelle did the simulated blowjob and "eating out" incident under the picnic table, with the two girls. That was around July 4th.

If there are any other segments done that year that did not fit into the PG content rating, please let me know, as I certainly couldn't tell you.

That was truly the last "adult" segment I remember happening, before WWE switched the rating over to PG.

Also to keep in mind, and I'm not necessarily saying that you are disputing this, but am just throwing it out there ...... that WWE is not going to receive a "PG" rating when they have been putting out TV-14 programming for the past several weeks prior. They have to work towards getting that particular rating. That, in my view is what they did in the later part of 2006 and 2007, before getting the rating actually switched in 2008.

In 2006, I remember there being 2 risquee segments on Raw.

The first was one I was actually in attendance for-- that being the Live Sex Celebration back in January, which helped the show score a 4.1 rating. The segment itself, however did in the 5's.

The second one was around the time of the Great American Bash, when Triple H and Candice Michelle did the simulated blowjob and "eating out" incident under the picnic table, with the two girls. That was around July 4th.

If there are any other segments done that year that did not fit into the PG content rating, please let me know, as I certainly couldn't tell you.

That was truly the last "adult" segment I remember happening, before WWE switched the rating over to PG.

Also to keep in mind, and I'm not necessarily saying that you are disputing this, but am just throwing it out there ...... that WWE is not going to receive a "PG" rating when they have been putting out TV-14 programming for the past several weeks prior. They have to work towards getting that particular rating. That, in my view is what they did in the later part of 2006 and 2007, before getting the rating actually switched in 2008.

Ahhhh I see now. So it's not just a conscious switch one week from 14 to PG that Vince woke up and said "We're PG from now on." Does the same apply to PPV? Or is PPV a different story? I would assume it's a horse of a different color because it's PPV and legally anything can happen on a live program you're paying to watch like that. Because we all know, WM22, in 2006 during the Mickie James/Trish match, Mickie licked her hand and blatantly rubbed Trish's lady parts. Maybe it was the other way around, but Mickie touched her lady parts. Would that not be counted towards the PG since it happened on PPV? Because that certainly wouldn't help Vince sell his case of making the WWE a PG product.

Because now the way you stated that, it makes a lot of sense. The creative team and such was really trying to find their niche and their place throughout 2007 and early 2008 which could have been why the quality of the product suffered the way it did (to us fans anyway). Everybody was just trying to find themselves. And it seems like this year just after WM, they found themselves because the E has been pretty damn good over the past 6 months. And oddly, they do seem to be getting better. Everything has really hit a stride for the better.

I actually agree with Vince. Seriously think about it. People sue people for no good reason. United States of America is known world wide as the "Country That Sues Others". If John Cena would have bled on someone, that someone's parents (if a child) could have sued for "possibly contaminating their child and risking said child of a disease" or something insane like that. Vince is taking appropriate measures to not get sued by fans, because he has been sued by fans before and he doesn't want that to happen again.

So near_expert22, bust Vince in the mouth or something cause you're mad that Vince didn't want legal actions taken against him. If you want to see blood, watch some other wrestling company.

I for one am happy without blood. There's nothing good about blood when it's outside of the body.

first of all i dont have a problem with vince being against blood.im fine with that b/c of the pg thing.if we see blood cool,if not thats fine too.my thing is in the middle of a PPV TITLE TITLE MATCH WHERE ANYTHING GOES they run to clean up cena.i highly doubt the same precautions would've been taken if it were orton.evenso,it just takes away from the match for me as i have finally watched it.it wasnt like a boxing match whre there is a timeout every 3 minutes.it was a live wrestling event on ppv man.if cena is the "best" worker in wwe as soooo many cenamaniacs claim,he could have found a way to clean himself up.maybe he could have found a way to wipe his face or something.im just saying it felt like it took away from an otherwise good match,not MOTY though like some people ("CENA-NATION") say it is.but it was good nonetheless.and for the record,there is nothing wrong with vince protecting his business.im cool with that.cuz nobody wants to see a soccer mom with 6 kids running wwe.that just cant happen.all im saying is that it kinda took from the match a little to me.

Without having read every post in this thread, I may be posting something that has already been said, so bear with me. People have missed the point of what happened, as per usual, and they blamed the PG era. If Cena had cut his head open the way wrestlers who blade themselves do, then this thread would have merit.

I'm pretty sure I've seen matches where this has happened in the year that have done that, I'm not certain though, so we'll leave it there.

As for what actually happened, John Cena cracked his head open 20 minutes into an hour long match. If they hadn't have glued it shut, he'd hae passed out from blood loss. Show me a wrestler who has ever bladed the top of his head and you'll have a point. The most telling thing was that he still had blood on his forehead for the last 20 minutes. They glued Cena's head because they didn't want him to pass out, not because they didn't want to lose a PG rating that doesn't apply in the same way to a PPV match.

It does make sense that Vince did what he did.

Put yourself in the role of Vince, lets ignore the PG rating its irrelevant to the issue.

In this time and age, people like to sue, people sue about the stupidest things, just yesterday I read about a man sueing Lynx deodorant because it has never got him a lady.

People make big deals out of anything they can find their hands on, now imagine your backstage and this happens, a star is cut and bleeding real blood. You know they are set to fight in the crowd at some point, and you dont know whether the two stars in the ring will go ahead with it or not. I would personally rather take safe action and annoy a few people rather then spend the rest of the match pacing and risking my company getting caught up over nothing.

Vince took the safe choice, and it didnt hurt anyone.. Get over it, its really not that big a deal.

Blood = Drama and significantly increases the intensity in a match (and/or in a feud). Does it need to happen all the time? No. Is Vince is scared that blood will mess with the PG rating? Apparently, he's forgotten the 80's/early 90's when blood was featured in many matches/storylines and WWE still maintained the PG rating.

Stopping a match because of blood is the dumbest thing I've ever heard (especially on Pay-Per-View)

I have mixed feelings about this.

Let me first state that I am not a fan of blading whatsoever. I think it is unsafe, disgusting, and unfair for performers to risk being permanently scarred by a blade job. However, I am not necessarily against the thought of using "blood" in a match. Meaning, I am open to the thought of using blood capsules sparingly for effect.

In a way, the lack of blood for the occasional big match really takes away an element of drama from the match.

But, put it this way. If this were to happen in most real sports, then the athlete would be cleaned up and have their serious cuts glued shut.

Matches need juice. Not all, but when a rivalry is heated enough, juice is needed plain and simple. Vince will learn this the hard way if he doesn't lighten up on the rules. He's going to have a hot feud end badly because he choses not to use juice during the blow off.

WWE will have to tweak the PG rating should they get some competition down the road, especially if that competition is on Monday nights. But, as far as the Bragging Rights thing.......it was a PAYPERVIEW match!!!! Viewers had already paid 30 bucks or so to watch the show...and EVERYTHING that were to happen.....No blood on Live TV or house shows is different from the PPV spots I think.

How about if there happens to be blood on RAW they can kill the color and make it black/white, they've done it before with promos. For the PPV's it should just be allowed, I don't bother with any of the PPV's except for Wrestlemania; kinda tradition. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back