Vince Russo Dragging TNA Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't go is easy to say..............I've been unhappy with WWE product before...........and I'm unhappy with the product now............but I love wrestling and unfortunetly TNA is the only alternative to WWE programming right now...........I have no idea where this love fest for RUSSO is coming from..........this is the same guy who put the belt on David Arquette and on himself............didn't he beat Goldberg too?

like admitting deuces wild wasn't the best idea of all time.
It wasn't. It tried and people got to see how Kong vs male wrestlers would work.

As far as a Russo love fest...given I've been saying the guy makes mistakes I don't see how that is the case nvd. All people are doing is pointing out that the guy doesn't really deserve the level of abuse all the time. If that's what you class as a lovefest, then I guess so...but I've never seen 'OMG Vince Russo is the bestest guy ever' threads start up. Fact is, he's a booker who has made some high profile mistakes in the past and is never allowed to forget it.

The only thing that really pisses me off about RUSSO is he's got one good idea for every 100 colossal mistakes. Also I'm concerned with him at the wheel in TNA or at least riding shotgun........TNA will never improve. WCW went under for various reasons, one of them being RUSSO and his poor booking...........and poor idea's,most of which revolved around himself..........one idea that comes to mind was the new blood idea,which okay give it a chance........however, the fans didn't like seeing HOGAN job to KIDMAN every NITRO and FLAIR was looking like a psyco who couldn't buy a win.............he's just stubborn and when the fans shoot it down 1000 times,go back to the drawing board.

My view is that WCW went under out of a combination of poor booking and not building up the talent they had. OK, Russo makes mistakes, so does WWE creative, so did WCW creative when he wasn't on board, and so does TNA. It's a fact of life. That being said, Vince Russo has had some great story ideas in the past, as well as some awful ones, but if you don't place the bet, you can't expect to win anything, and sometimes the risk will pay off.

My view is that WCW went under out of a combination of poor booking and not building up the talent they had. OK, Russo makes mistakes, so does WWE creative, so did WCW creative when he wasn't on board, and so does TNA. It's a fact of life. That being said, Vince Russo has had some great story ideas in the past, as well as some awful ones, but if you don't place the bet, you can't expect to win anything, and sometimes the risk will pay off.

Ya agree with that.........the only thing is if your fans are begging for change......how long do you let him go.........Scott D'more in the "RUSSO" role is the medicine that TNA needs right now. Proof is Scott D'more's segments (the women's division) is consistantly the highest rated every impact.......I think that his "trial" period needs to end,thats all.

It's where do you draw the line as to how many fans want him to go. Because the argument Glenn will probably throw out to this is that the majority of fans like aspects which others despise, like Sharkboy, and I can't deny that fact, as much as I hate that gimmick.
The women's I'll give you, but the thing is, the women have somewhat easier marketing that the men. The Beautiful People are more popular than anyone on the roster right now. Why? Hot and can wrestle = young males + older fans who want to see wrestling. Kong squashing a fan loses ratings because no real contest, and she looks worse in revealing ring attire.
I don't know how booking for the divisions is organised, but I'd imagine there is some brainstorming done by all parties so it's not really fair that one man gets all the praise and abuse.

It's where do you draw the line as to how many fans want him to go. Because the argument Glenn will probably throw out to this is that the majority of fans like aspects which others despise, like Sharkboy, and I can't deny that fact, as much as I hate that gimmick.
The women's I'll give you, but the thing is, the women have somewhat easier marketing that the men. The Beautiful People are more popular than anyone on the roster right now. Why? Hot and can wrestle = young males + older fans who want to see wrestling. Kong squashing a fan loses ratings because no real contest, and she looks worse in revealing ring attire.
I don't know how booking for the divisions is organised, but I'd imagine there is some brainstorming done by all parties so it's not really fair that one man gets all the praise and abuse.

I agree with Kong, they should've put the belt on ODB while she was getting incredible pop,still good pop though. I'm not really sure how to set it up but I'd love to see the results of a Should Russo be Fired? vote among members and see where the chips fall...........i have a feeling if it were up to this board he'd get his pink slip tomarrow.

Ya agree with that.........the only thing is if your fans are begging for change......how long do you let him go.........Scott D'more in the "RUSSO" role is the medicine that TNA needs right now. Proof is Scott D'more's segments (the women's division) is consistantly the highest rated every impact.......I think that his "trial" period needs to end,thats all.

you apparantely have an extremely limited knowledge of the difference between agent and creative member. didn't you get banned? and now you're so hell bent on getting back into the forums to bitch and complain to try to get russo fired that you came back under v 2.0? forgive me, and i don't know you personally, but i can pretty much make a guesstimation that you are a loser, and i don't think alot of people would agrue on your behalf.

I don't know what your talking about...............did you get my friend neilvandam banned.........I didn't know.................You act like I'm the only one asking for it..............and since I'm a new member and have limited knowlege on how to set it up..........please i think the results would be revealing...........if more people want Russo to stay then go............i'll never post saying he should be gone..........I want Scott to take over the head writer position..........i know the difference between agent and booker.

I am going to stick up for Russo(unusual for a so-called smark)

The poor guy is creative, although at time he is TOO creative and tries to make the product to fit his "vision", even if it doesnt agree with the auidence.

Russo is sort of the evil twin of Paul Heyman. Heyman recognised his audience and tried to cater for them(bloody matches rewarding hard work), whilst Russo recognises his audience, yet pushes to the extremes of what his auidience wants. Although he didnt have anyhting to do with Katie Vick, people would assume Russo had some involvement because it was his style to go that far. Russo would more be suited to movie scripts, where the extremes can make sense, such as comedy. But wrestling fans want to see believable characters, not some damn soap opera. This is whjy i am a fan of Edge(well, the early Heel edge) because I think every male out there has been dumped by thier girlfriend for some smarmy bastard like Edge. Or legitimate wrestlers liek Angle, Benoit and LEsnar.

Russo would probably been right at home in the madcap word of wresting in the early 90s, but after the Attitude era, he was still coming up with madcap storylines that dont make sense and only cater for a small few.

New Flash, People: Russo wasn't responsible for the demise of WCW. It's just another story misinterpreted by ignorant wrestling fans.

WCW was already dying before he got there. He was supposed to turn things around when he came in, but not even he could keep WCW afloat.

I don't know whether or not to blame Russo for TNA's downward spiral as of late.Maybe we can blame Jarrett or Mantel.But whoever it is to blame,lets start playing the blame game.They might as well discontinue the X division,Joe and Angle has been done to death,the Karen/A.J./Kurt thing sucks,too many gimmicks,Booker T and Team 3D suck,thats just a few things.Maybe someone else can start booking for a while.See where it goes even though we know it can only go up from here.But I can't say much for WWE either.

It is obvious that Russo is not solely to blame for the creative direction of TNA. While it is obvious that any pole match or gimmick match is more likely than not his ideas, one cannot deny that with Russo in the current creative team, Impact ratings have been and are at their highest (1.1-1.2). There are many different schools of thought when it comes to this such as if you look at WWE RAW, ratings have been steadily going down over the years and very recently hit a 2.9. With Impact, TNA generally stays at or around the same rating (1.0-1.2) even though currently it is around the 0.9s (but this can easily be due to NBA Basketball). Even with Russo in TNA creative, ratings have more or less with some exceptions stayed consistent. However, the other way to look at it is that with the current creative team being Russo, Mantel, and Jarrett, TNA Impact has NOT been able to get past a 1.2 and the fault is pointed at creative. The argument could be made that this creative team and their creative direction is simply not good enough, compelling enough, interestingenough, or enjoyable enough or whatever you want to call to get past a 1.2 rating.
There are many things about Russo's influence that I do not like (gimmick matches, caricatures instead of characters, multi-man matches simply for the sake of getting everyone on PPV), but I do not feel he is solely to blame for dragging TNA down. It is obviously not the performers because TNA has one of the best rosters out of any wrestling promotion.

Russo is definitely dragging TNA down. Bad story lines, horrible characters, recycled angles from the 90's, ______ on a pole matches. When guys like Russo, Mantel and Jarrett are in charge of booking anything, you know it's bad. My wish is that Dixie Carter wakes up one day and realizes the crap Russo and crew are putting on her show. I love the potential of TNA. They just need a GOOD booker to make TNA great. It's been said a million time, but I think TNA needs Paul Heyman. He can create new characters, make any wrestler look good and he knows how to brand a product. Just don't let him have any control over the check book. He took ECW from a nothing company, to a solid number 3 promotion at a time when he should have been killed by WWF and WCW. Imagine what Heyman could do with a company that has assets, money and two hours a week on Spike TV. Bottom line is that YES, Russo is dragging TNA down.

Russo is definitely dragging TNA down. Bad story lines, horrible characters, recycled angles from the 90's, ______ on a pole matches. When guys like Russo, Mantel and Jarrett are in charge of booking anything, you know it's bad. My wish is that Dixie Carter wakes up one day and realizes the crap Russo and crew are putting on her show. I love the potential of TNA. They just need a GOOD booker to make TNA great. It's been said a million time, but I think TNA needs Paul Heyman. He can create new characters, make any wrestler look good and he knows how to brand a product. Just don't let him have any control over the check book. He took ECW from a nothing company, to a solid number 3 promotion at a time when he should have been killed by WWF and WCW. Imagine what Heyman could do with a company that has assets, money and two hours a week on Spike TV. Bottom line is that YES, Russo is dragging TNA down.

I love the jobber's posts before they get squashed.
welcome to the forum randy mulkey!

It's been said time and time again that most of the things you see don't come from Russo. What horrible characters are you talking about? The ones that copy other wrestlers? You mean, Paul Heyman never did that with the bWo, CW Anderson, Lou E Dangerously? You don't like Angle's family on TV, well Heyman did the same thing with Sandman's family, and even worse, got his son involved.

Paul Heyman doesn't want to work for TNA, so why would he go there? Paul Heyman made ECW the number 3 promotion, so what do you want, for him to make TNA the number 2 promotion? Isn't that ALREADY the case? Paul Heyman had an hour, on the same channel, when wrestling was at its hottest, and their highest rating was a 1.3. Paul Heyman was also booking for Smackdown in late 2002. Did the ratings increase? No.

Heyman also took almost dead company and made it into a pretty big thing. Who else did that? Vince Russo. He took the WWE from a 1.9 to somewhere in the 6's. In WCW, the ratings increased with him as writer in late 1999. Once Russo left the first time in 2000, the ratings kept going down and never went above 3.0, until he came back the second time. By that time, it was a dead company anyway, and there was no way to get the fans back.

So, why hire Heyman?

@hollyric:

Two things:

1) The whole "Took them from doing a 1.8 to somewhere in the 5's and 6's" thing needs to stop. You take one week out of the whole and it makes it look like it was a constant thing. Raw was doing between 2.0's and 2.5's, and then it ducked below one week and they put a dude with fresh ideas in. They weren't constantly in the 1's. In fact, that was the only time it dipped into the 1's that year. They also dipped to a 1.9 a couple months later.. and then that was the end of that, because the war was on and ratings were on the rise.

2) Russo DIDN'T raise the ratings in WCW AT ALL. I already took the ratings from the 14 weeks before, and 14 weeks after (which stopped at his last Nitro during his first term) and showed that Russo didn't do shit. From July 6th of that year to August 16th of that year (that's the first 7 weeks) averaged out at a 3.27, the next seven weeks from August 23rd to October 4th (the week, I believe, before Russo's first show), the average rating for those 7 weeks was a 3.32.

Russo comes in and the first seven weeks of his first term ended up at a 3.2 and the seven weeks after that (which end at his departure) ended up at an average of 3.1. On the whole, they went down.

And his second term was a fucking disaster. Very, very rarely did it get into the 3's and when he left WCW, his damage had been done.

Heyman created and revolutionized the business with ECW and Russo came into WWF and dragged their asses into the 90's and helping them compete with WCW. The difference between Heyman and Russo is although they both had their successes, when they took over another already established company (Heyman with Smackdown, Russo with WCW) Heyman kept the ratings consistent and maybe even popped them above average whilst Russo helped push WCW further into the grave.

Heyman also managed to have a good deal of success with OVW and he created a few compelling storylines and characters there too.

Heyman has the ability to stay relevant and creative, whilst Russo relies on his old shit.

And I don't really care to see Heyman hook up with TNA. I'd rather see someone with some money come along, get some talent along with TV time and put Heyman in charge of creative of a new promotion. 'tis a dream, cause that ain't gonna happen, so it doesn't matter to me.

@hollyric:

Two things:

1) The whole "Took them from doing a 1.8 to somewhere in the 5's and 6's" thing needs to stop. You take one week out of the whole and it makes it look like it was a constant thing. Raw was doing between 2.0's and 2.5's, and then it ducked below one week and they put a dude with fresh ideas in. They weren't constantly in the 1's. In fact, that was the only time it dipped into the 1's that year. They also dipped to a 1.9 a couple months later.. and then that was the end of that, because the war was on and ratings were on the rise.

2) Russo DIDN'T raise the ratings in WCW AT ALL. I already took the ratings from the 14 weeks before, and 14 weeks after (which stopped at his last Nitro during his first term) and showed that Russo didn't do shit. From July 6th of that year to August 16th of that year (that's the first 7 weeks) averaged out at a 3.27, the next seven weeks from August 23rd to October 4th (the week, I believe, before Russo's first show), the average rating for those 7 weeks was a 3.32.

Russo comes in and the first seven weeks of his first term ended up at a 3.2 and the seven weeks after that (which end at his departure) ended up at an average of 3.1. On the whole, they went down.

And his second term was a fucking disaster. Very, very rarely did it get into the 3's and when he left WCW, his damage had been done.

Heyman created and revolutionized the business with ECW and Russo came into WWF and dragged their asses into the 90's and helping them compete with WCW. The difference between Heyman and Russo is although they both had their successes, when they took over another already established company (Heyman with Smackdown, Russo with WCW) Heyman kept the ratings consistent and maybe even popped them above average whilst Russo helped push WCW further into the grave.

Heyman also managed to have a good deal of success with OVW and he created a few compelling storylines and characters there too.

Heyman has the ability to stay relevant and creative, whilst Russo relies on his old shit.

And I don't really care to see Heyman hook up with TNA. I'd rather see someone with some money come along, get some talent along with TV time and put Heyman in charge of creative of a new promotion. 'tis a dream, cause that ain't gonna happen, so it doesn't matter to me.

oops! misinformation alert! you need to do the math on your ratings analysis when heyman was in charge of smackdown. plummeting ratings can hardly be considered "success"

Even for one night, 1.9 is quite an embarassing number. And there was no excuse for it. Taking it from, say 2.3, to somewhere in the 6's is still just as impressive.

First of all, Russo started on 18th, not on the 11th. Isn't it convenient that you decided to use 7 weeks, instead of another number of weeks. And two of those of weeks was when Nitro was unopposed. Why don't you take the 7 weeks not counting the unapposed ones? That would make it to 3.01 before Russo, to 3.3 after.

Let's try another another number of weeks:

4 weeks:
From September 20 to October 11: 2.9
From October 18 to November 8: 3.35

Russo's last Nitro for his first term was a 3.5. That rating is important because if Russo was still writing, the trend could have continued and could have gone up. Another thing you have to remember is that rating was the biggest rating, opposed, since October 25, another Russo show, and before that, June 28. Nitro never had that opposed rating since.

First, there was no way to get the fans back to watch it. And second, was it really a disaster compared to previous weeks:

11 weeks from January-March: 2.8 (I was generous and included an unapposed Nitro)
11 weeks from April to June: 2.9

Russo's last Nitro was when he won the WCW title on September 25, 2000, which got a 2.9 rating. It never did that rating since.

WCW was dying at the time, while Smackdown was doing fine. And as shown before, Russo did quite well with the ratings in WCW.

Well, what creative and genius storylines and characters has he done in OVW? Is it just like the "creative" stuff he did with the new ECW? Before you say "well, Vince McMahon didn't allow him this and that", guess who was telling Russo what he could and coudn't do in the WWF? And it didn't stop Paul Heyman from booking on Smackdown, now did it?

Heyman also took almost dead company and made it into a pretty big thing. Who else did that? Vince Russo. He took the WWE from a 1.9 to somewhere in the 6's. In WCW, the ratings increased with him as writer in late 1999. Once Russo left the first time in 2000, the ratings kept going down and never went above 3.0, until he came back the second time. By that time, it was a dead company anyway, and there was no way to get the fans back.

When was RAW doing a 1.9? Maybe a single show had that rating way back in 96 or 95 but they were consistently i the mid to high 2's low 3's and once or twice they had a 4.

Vince russo wasn't the god you're making him out to be. I don't think he has killed organizations either.

Man you really like to put people on pedestals.

I'm not going to start throwing out facts and stats, because obviously most of you guys ignore them. So, I will start off with this question. How can one man have such an impact, pun intended, on a show that he is solely responsible for what you guys call a subpar product? If he is that horrible, then A: why wouldn't someone else axe all his ideas? B: How could a man that horribly out of touch even have a job backstage in a promotion? It is absolutly ridiculous to say Russo is dragging down TNA.
I don't claim to know all the inner workings backstage at TNA, but I can speculate on this, and I will.
I will venture to say that there are meetings between numerous people. I'm sure in those meetings they don't just have cookies and kool-aid. They discuss the product going onto tv. Russo can't just stroll in an hour ahead of time and say, "Well boys, this is what's going on the air." it doesn't work that way. Everything is checked, approved, rewritten, double checked, moved around in order, cut, added, and any number of other things we are not aware of.

If GG came in here and said Russo was the reason the ratings were where they were, it's all his stuff that loses viewers, then maybe I would put a little faith in what was said. Not a bunch of internet fanboys.

You guys talk about originality, guys with usernames that are blatantly ripped off from wrestlers mind you.... How original, well this thread would never have been made if Hulk Hogan wouldn't have called Russo out on the mic in the dark days of WCW.

It's the same guys that talk about how great ROH is. I do like to watch ROH every Thursday night on Spike... Wait, they don't have a deal with Spike. TNA does.

These are same guys that wanted Joe to be champ. He's champ and now they complain about the angles he is in. There is no appeasing you guys.

You complain about who he faces, well he is facing main eventers. What more can they do? Every week I watch and see building guys up. They aren't main draws yet,but with the right pushes they will be. You can't just take a guy that you guys are all salavating over, throw him in the main event and say look at him! He's in a feud with Joe!

If the program is so horrible, I suggest you guys all band together and boycott it. With the reasoning that has been given throughout this thread, it would have a HUGE impact on the ratings. You guys obviously know more than the creative team, and claim that a vast majority of viewers are unhappy so a boycott would mean a large ratings drop and something would have to be done if that were the case.

Another point I want to make is the spoilers. I bet most of you read the spoilers and know exactly what is going to happen tonight. Could that be part of the reason it is so predictable? Because you know what it is when you turn it on? It's like going to a magic show and having the magician show you how to do every trick on the way in. Then complaining because you know how to do his entire show, and you know if he did these other tricks the audience would like it more.

The last part of my diatribe is this: if someone posts on wrestlezone.com news section that Russo was fired before the last tapings, he had nothing to do with this weeks show, but unbeknownst to anybody, he wasn't fired and wroted the entire show by himself, there would be a million threads started after the show about how great it was, and thank god Russo is gone because Impact was great without him dragging it down!

You Russo sucks guys are just a herd of sheep.

Someone needs to take Triple H's gimmick "King of Kings" and put it on you bro. *bows*

Seriously. I get so sick of that stuff.

I watch TNA and WWE, why? Because wrestling, always has, and always will keep my interest. I don't read spoilers hardly ever. Except the Y2J one, because some friends told me.

:smashfreakB:

It's not Russo that kills a company.

TNA: Kurt Angle, but they can come back from this.
WCW: Hulk Hogan, R.I.P wCw, you were good while it lasted.
WWE: Triple H, you're a good talent, and a good draw you know... after you like... married the bosses daughter, which you can't be blamed... because... they are stacked in money... and... I'd honestly marry the bosses daughter no matter how ugly if someone no sold my finisher as well... and... i can't really say that [ the "draw" part ], because even after your move over to SD! the ratings still blow and more people are now stating that Raw is better to watch without having you "holding" it down. So to speak. Viva La JR! :headbanger:

Some people MAY or MAY NOT agree with me. But please don't come bashing me because of it. :blush:

I'm not going to start throwing out facts and stats, because obviously most of you guys ignore them. So, I will start off with this question. How can one man have such an impact, pun intended, on a show that he is solely responsible for what you guys call a subpar product? If he is that horrible, then A: why wouldn't someone else axe all his ideas? B: How could a man that horribly out of touch even have a job backstage in a promotion? It is absolutly ridiculous to say Russo is dragging down TNA.
I don't claim to know all the inner workings backstage at TNA, but I can speculate on this, and I will.
I will venture to say that there are meetings between numerous people. I'm sure in those meetings they don't just have cookies and kool-aid. They discuss the product going onto tv. Russo can't just stroll in an hour ahead of time and say, "Well boys, this is what's going on the air." it doesn't work that way. Everything is checked, approved, rewritten, double checked, moved around in order, cut, added, and any number of other things we are not aware of.

If GG came in here and said Russo was the reason the ratings were where they were, it's all his stuff that loses viewers, then maybe I would put a little faith in what was said. Not a bunch of internet fanboys.

You guys talk about originality, guys with usernames that are blatantly ripped off from wrestlers mind you.... How original, well this thread would never have been made if Hulk Hogan wouldn't have called Russo out on the mic in the dark days of WCW.

It's the same guys that talk about how great ROH is. I do like to watch ROH every Thursday night on Spike... Wait, they don't have a deal with Spike. TNA does.

These are same guys that wanted Joe to be champ. He's champ and now they complain about the angles he is in. There is no appeasing you guys.

You complain about who he faces, well he is facing main eventers. What more can they do? Every week I watch and see building guys up. They aren't main draws yet,but with the right pushes they will be. You can't just take a guy that you guys are all salavating over, throw him in the main event and say look at him! He's in a feud with Joe!

If the program is so horrible, I suggest you guys all band together and boycott it. With the reasoning that has been given throughout this thread, it would have a HUGE impact on the ratings. You guys obviously know more than the creative team, and claim that a vast majority of viewers are unhappy so a boycott would mean a large ratings drop and something would have to be done if that were the case.

Another point I want to make is the spoilers. I bet most of you read the spoilers and know exactly what is going to happen tonight. Could that be part of the reason it is so predictable? Because you know what it is when you turn it on? It's like going to a magic show and having the magician show you how to do every trick on the way in. Then complaining because you know how to do his entire show, and you know if he did these other tricks the audience would like it more.

The last part of my diatribe is this: if someone posts on wrestlezone.com news section that Russo was fired before the last tapings, he had nothing to do with this weeks show, but unbeknownst to anybody, he wasn't fired and wroted the entire show by himself, there would be a million threads started after the show about how great it was, and thank god Russo is gone because Impact was great without him dragging it down!

You Russo sucks guys are just a herd of sheep.

where can i open a poll as to how many wrestlezone.com posters think you're insane, even though this may be the most logical post i have ever read on this site? you may be the new slyfox. have fun burying the russo haters when they start attacking you. it's pretty easy.

GG I probably won't bury too many of them it's just too easy. Kinda like railing a ******ed chick. Yeah you got some but well, she's ******ed...

The worst part of this whole thing is that everyone here love watching wrestling and have the chance to get real insight into the business, but instead choose to flame on about this. I for one would rather hear good road stories, or what goes into producing a show, but hey, whatever. I guess that's just me. As well as the other couple million people that enjoy watching Impact. Keep up the improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back