Todd Akin's Rape Remarks

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
By now, given the brouhaha it has caused, I'm sure you have heard the comments made by Missouri senator candidate Todd Akin. If not, here they are in full.

It seems to me, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.

Now, there are a few things that need to be discussed with respect to these.

1. What is your gut reaction to these remarks?

How do you feel about them. Much has been said about his use of the term legitimate rape, which is astonishingly insensitive to the thousands of women made pregnant by rape, but the big shocker for me is his lack of basic understanding about science. Getting pregnant at any point is rare, about 5% on average throughout the menstural cycle, and repeated studies (though why they'd study this, I don't know) have shown that the rate is the same in cases of rape. I accept that not every politician is going to be Isaac Newton, but seriously, this guy is on the Science Committee in the House of Representatives and he thinks something that has literally no basis. Coupled with the fact he clearly doesn't understand the law either with the term "legitimate rape", and you have a man who looks very unfit for office.

2. Should this man stay in the race after saying this?

Romney has suggested not, and most of his funding has dried up in the wake of it, so he has basically cost his party a very winnable seat. If he stays in the race, how much do you think his backing will really change? Polls have suggested his opponent is now ten points ahead, but given the election isn't for a while, could he re-establish a support base?

How do you feel about them. Much has been said about his use of the term legitimate rape, which is astonishingly insensitive to the thousands of women made pregnant by rape, but the big shocker for me is his lack of basic understanding about science. Getting pregnant at any point is rare, about 5% on average throughout the menstural cycle, and repeated studies (though why they'd study this, I don't know) have shown that the rate is the same in cases of rape. I accept that not every politician is going to be Isaac Newton, but seriously, this guy is on the Science Committee in the House of Representatives and he thinks something that has literally no basis. Coupled with the fact he clearly doesn't understand the law either with the term "legitimate rape", and you have a man who looks very unfit for office.

2. Should this man stay in the race after saying this?

Romney has suggested not, and most of his funding has dried up in the wake of it, so he has basically cost his party a very winnable seat. If he stays in the race, how much do you think his backing will really change? Polls have suggested his opponent is now ten points ahead, but given the election isn't for a while, could he re-establish a support base?

One of the most outrageously, offensively stupid things I've heard in my entire life. That it comes from an elected official is beyond words or understanding for anyone with a shred of decency or common sense. I don't get how such misinformation and sheer fucking stupidity still exists in your education system or how this guy got through it.
To outsiders, your right to freedom of speech increasing just looks like an excuse to say whatever the fuck you want, regardless of how damaging, hurtful or plain wrong it is. The first amendment has now been so twisted, exploited and hidden behind that it's no longer fit for purpose. Your rule of law is based on ideals and principles in a country that no longer sees them as a standard, but as something to get around.

I thought the same thing I do whenever I hear an elected American politician spout nonsense like this. America has tied itself too closely to faith and religion. Belief in God and your relationship with those beliefs should be a very personal thing, America has decided that it will be all encompassing and should dictate all walks of life though.

Get God out of politics should be what people are asking for in America, sadly it seems to be going the other way. America isn't far off becoming to Christianity what Iran is to Islam, a society dominated by theocracy, where every action is weighted against what is said by humans in a book thousands of years old (even if you believe the Bible to be true it was written by humans and so was open to the writer's interpretation, the various differing Bibles is proof of that).

In short, America terrifies me at this moment and I say that as someone who has worked there in the past, whose best friend is from New York and who loves the place, but it does scare me right now.

Get God out of politics should be what people are asking for in America, sadly it seems to be going the other way. America isn't far off becoming to Christianity what Iran is to Islam, a society dominated by theocracy, where every action is weighted against what is said by humans in a book thousands of years old (even if you believe the Bible to be true it was written by humans and so was open to the writer's interpretation, the various differing Bibles is proof of that).
I agree that god should be kept out of politics, however Todd Akin never mentioned god in those statements. He shouldn't have said what he said, it's ridiculously wrong. However idiots are of every religious view including agnostic, and atheist. Also America is not anywhere near close to being a theocracy. There are no laws condoning or forbidding the belief of any religion, there is no law preventing non-Christians from gaining political office, and the Constitution grants religious freedom to any US citizen. Most of America's politicians are white Christians because most Americans are white Christians. That's how democratic governments tend to work, it may not be right, but it's what happens.
On whether or not Akin should drop out, I believe he is very selfish, considering how negatively the Republican party was viewed because of it. It would be for the greater good of the Republican Party if Akin dropped out, however he is either too selfish or stubborn to drop out or even just recant his statement and admit he said something incredibly idiotic. Like most people would.

Those who serve our government or want to have a right to their own opinions (no matter how ridiculous those opinions may be), that much is true, however they have to be more responsible with what they say than the average person. This is because of how high their profile is, the one thing I have to say though, in accordance to what candidate Akin said is this; where's the proof? Before inserting foot in mouth, if one is to say something as bold as this, I'd like to see evidence that would proof such a thing.

Again this ties into my point about those in the public eye might have their freedom to say what they want, but they should guard their words ever so carefully, and back up what they say. I'm not a doctor, hell I don't even play one on TV, therefore I don't have enough data or knowledge about the human body, in particular the female one to confirm or deny such a claim about how a "legitimate rape" would shut down the female body from pregnancy. Todd Akin, I'm assuming doesn't either.

Bottom line, I've a good feeling that this comment will haunt him and seal his fate in this senate race, if I were a member of his campaign I'd have very little confidence in his political future. Either way...sucks to be him right now.

Do politicians not understand just how much under the microscope they are? Especially in the case of the ones who are financially backing them. With the intense watching eye always over them, the idea is to stay away from controversial matters. It is something that will always come back to bite them. Something as real and reprehensible as rape is definitely something that should be avoided when you are potentially running for an election.

This very well has cost him dearly. His reputation has been tarnished probably beyond repair.

Do politicians not understand just how much under the microscope they are? Especially in the case of the ones who are financially backing them. With the intense watching eye always over them, the idea is to stay away from controversial matters. It is something that will always come back to bite them. Something as real and reprehensible as rape is definitely something that should be avoided when you are potentially running for an election.

This very well has cost him dearly. His reputation has been tarnished probably beyond repair.

What concerns me, and what should concern everyone, is that he said these things believing they would gain him support amongst certain crowds. Even worse is the fact that he's probably right and will still gather at least 40% of the electorate. When 40% of people are so willing to stand behind such vile stupidity, you've got a major problem in your culture.

It seems to me that people only care about a scathing problem when it hits home. When it actually happens to them or someone in their family, that's when they will see the light. I don't think this moron understands the severe damage that rape does and when someone who so clearly doesn't understand the actions of rape tries and push his "point of view" across, it would honestly cause great distress and pain to sufferers.

He should be forced to resign from the Senate race and live with this shame for life.

I agree that god should be kept out of politics, however Todd Akin never mentioned god in those statements. He shouldn't have said what he said, it's ridiculously wrong. However idiots are of every religious view including agnostic, and atheist.

Most of the pro-life crowd are hard line Christians who seem to think a soul is born when a woman produces an egg. It's quite clear he's coming from that standpoint in American politics that is based on their belief in God.

As for America not being a theocracy yet, well I said it's on the road to it, and I still believe that's true. It's shocking to me that every Presidential election is dominated by the 'how Christian are you' debate at some stage of the campaign. America is strange in that on the surface it likes to pretend that everything isn't informed by Christianity, but you only have to scratch the surface to realise it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back