• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The WZ Movie Tournament resumes tomorrow- NEW VOTING PROCESS

Papa Shango

Frontman of the WZ Band!!
Round 5, the Decade Finals, starts tomorrow, and there will be a new way of voting.

Instead of the polls, everyone HAS to post their vote, bolded, along with a proper explanation as to why they feel their choice is the better film of the two choices. Be sure to put your vote in bold, or else there is a good chance it can be skipped over when counting the votes.

Also, KB and I have the the choice to use our discretion and throw out a vote. For example spam votes will not be counted. "I vote for STAR WARSover alien bcuz star wars is the greatest movie ever may the force be with you!" is not an acceptable, proper explanation.

This is being done as a way to both boost the discussion in the tournament threads, as well as force those who have been "ghost voting" to actual back up their choices in order for their votes to count.

this voting system is bad. why should i write something out, when someone already summed it up? It doesn't make any sense.

Because what's the point in voting on the better film if you don't feel like discussing it. The whole point of this tournament has been to generate discussion about film, and I personally felt that the discussion had been a little lackluster. So, I'm forcing the issue. If someone isn't going to take the time to defend their opinion, then why should their opinion matter? If you want your voice to be heard, then speak up.

This is Brian were talking about though Shango. If a movie doesnt have Ben Rothleswhoseits in it he wont bother talking about it.

Gump will probably win it all. the only one who will challenge it is empire strikes back thats my final two. as for the rest star wars beats Alien in the 70s emipre wins easy against terminator in the 80s. the 90s rule Gump. 2000 will go to LTR i dont see why everyone hates this movie it was epic and if it sucked so bad it would not have won all 11 oscars the only movie to ever do it. may be even a upset over Forest. great cast and storyline down to the wire and think of all the costumes they had to make and New Zealand that would be hard to film.

no, it's ridiculous. I can sum up a movie in two sentences, I could also compare the two in a few sentences.

I am voting for Forest Gump because it's a good movie, I wasn't a fan of Schindler's list because it bored me. Therefore Gump gets the vote.

Oops, I am done.

I honestly can't understand why people are predicting a huge win for Forrest Gump. The only reason that I can of, as to why people would discount Schindler's List so quickly, is that they haven't actually seen Schindler's List. If that's the case, then allow to repeat what I've tried to say all along; if you haven't seen both movies in match-up, then I strongly recommend that you NOT vote in the round. It's tacky and it doesn't make sense to care who wins if you can't even make an informed decision. But as last week's election showed, people no longer feel the need to be informed to make a decision.

i agree movies should be viewed before judged on. SL was actually really good i enjoyed it a lot. i just don't think it loses by much to Gump.

I honestly can't understand why people are predicting a huge win for Forrest Gump. The only reason that I can of, as to why people would discount Schindler's List so quickly, is that they haven't actually seen Schindler's List. If that's the case, then allow to repeat what I've tried to say all along; if you haven't seen both movies in match-up, then I strongly recommend that you NOT vote in the round. It's tacky and it doesn't make sense to care who wins if you can't even make an informed decision. But as last week's election showed, people no longer feel the need to be informed to make a decision.

Prilly casue Gump was more entertaining than Schindler's List, which may be one of the most boring movies I have ever seen

no, it's ridiculous. I can sum up a movie in two sentences, I could also compare the two in a few sentences.

I am voting for Forest Gump because it's a good movie, I wasn't a fan of Schindler's list because it bored me. Therefore Gump gets the vote.

Oops, I am done.

That's fine, but I don't see why you can't share what it is you like or dislike about the movies. Does Gary Sinise's performance wow you every time you watch it? Do you dislike Schindler's List because it makes you uncomfortable? Does Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goeth force you to think about unpleasant, true events that you'd rather not think about? Are you a big fan of Forrest Gump's musical score, and enjoy the collection of great music from the last fifty years that was compiled onto the soundtrack. Were you impressed by the CGI removal of Gary Sinise's legs? (which was groundbreaking at the time). Or is there just something about Tom Hanks' performance that makes you laugh AND cry every time you watch it, whereas Liam Neeson's performance pales in comparison.

I want people to treat this tournament the same way they would treat the wrestling sections. Make discussion, respond to people's posts, start debating the quality of these films in the same way you debate the quality of a PPV or a wrestler or a match. And in the end, you may change someone's mind, or even have your mind changed. You may be inspired enough to re-view a movie you haven't seen in ages, or you read something that convinces you to see a movie for the first time.

Is that REALLY so much to ask for?

I am voting for a certain movie for a reason. It doesn't need a paper that is 5 pages double spaced, 12 font and in Times New Roman.

I am voting for Forest Gump because Shindlers list is shit. Well, thats my reasoning behind it

Prilly casue Gump was more entertaining than Schindler's List, which may be one of the most boring movies I have ever seen

You know, I keep hearing that argument, and it's pretty much the only argument people can come up with when it comes to Schindler's List. And yet no one ever elaborates on it. Most likely because they know it wasn't boring, they just don't like admitting that either they were extremely moved by the film, which would mean showing emotion and sensitivity, which is something some people just can't do, even on the internet, OR they really didn't feel anything, and that makes them feel heartless, which is even worse than feeling emotional.
THE Brian Becker said:
One flew over the Cuckoo's nest was robbed
I actually also prefer Cuckoo's Nest over most of the other films in the 70's bracket. But that's not the point. I pretty much like all of the movies that were in the tournament, save a few that I allowed in due to KB's insistence, or because I knew they were popular and might draw in a few people. Fact is, I never had a favorite to win this thing. I'm just along for the ride, and trying to enjoy it. If you're completely investing in one movie to win the tournament, then I think you're missing the point of it entirely.

I am voting for Forest Gump because Shindlers list is shit.

And that right there is a post that will not be counted. In fact, since that post would be in my section of the tournament, that would most likely get a spamming infraction.

Like I said, if your opinion isn't even worth discussion in your eyes, then it's completely useless in my eyes, and it will be thrown out.

Well Field of Dreams didnt even make the cut. So i was pretty pissed about that. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest was robbed. I was pulling for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. When that got eliminated I quit caring

Well quite frankly, I've never cared about HOW MANY people voted. This tournament has always been about quality over quantity. I wanted to discuss movies with people who want to discuss movies. Why should I care about the opinion of someone who thinks Transformers is the greatest movie ever because shit gets blown up for two straight hours, and Megatron is voiced by Agent Smith from The Matrix? This was a tournament for people who like movies, not A movie.

Well quite frankly, I've never cared about HOW MANY people voted. This tournament has always been about quality over quantity. I wanted to discuss movies with people who want to discuss movies. Why should I care about the opinion of someone who thinks Transformers is the greatest movie ever because shit gets blown up for two straight hours, and Megatron is voiced by Agent Smith from The Matrix? This was a tournament for people who like movies, not A movie.

Isn't the point of these tournaments for people to vote for what they like?

If nobody's voting, this is pointless. IC had no problem whatsoever with having to voice why people voted for what they did for the rock tournament. There was the option to discuss... and it was a rousing success.

The fact we had no input on the movies for the tournament to begin with, and the fact that the best movie of this fucking decade isn't even in the tournament... it should be no wonder why this is a bust.

Actually, there have been quite a few people who have done a good job with discussion. Not everyone may know all the technical terms, but they've displayed an ability to relay what it is they like about a movie, point out it's strong points and its flaws. I was particularly impressed by Murfish's argument of Chinatown being a better movie than Rocky. I was torn between the two, and Murfish convinced me to vote for Chinatown. He didn't win it for Chinatown, but he made a damn good argument, and I think he almost made IC change his mind.

In fact, most of the people who have regularly posted have done a good job. The only thing I would say is that it's okay to admit to liking both movies. You can vote one over the other, but feel free to explain why you enjoy each movie, or why you like one but dislike the other. Oh, and perhaps lay off the movie cliches and references in your posts. It irks me, and just makes you like a nerd. lol

All I was pointing out was how most people don't feel like explaining why they like a movie better than the other. I have no idea what most of your last post was even talking about, for the record.

For example, I thought The 40 Year Old Virgin was funnier than Wedding Crashers, because I just do. There's no real reasoning behind it. And when I vote in a poll such as a tournament, I don't feel like defending my point of view most of the time... and I'm sure many other people feel the same way. If Murfish made a post, more power to him. Others probably don't give a shit for the most part and are just voting for what they liked better, just because.

All you're doing is murdering your tournament, dude. You're better off just keeping the hit and run option up there and stop being a pretentious douche.

The only thing I would say is that it's okay to admit to liking both movies.

Oh, well that's a relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back