The Technology Troubleshooting Thread

A new problem. This one is quite a worry. When I open a big program like Bitlord, Limewire, Chorme or Photoshop, the computer freezes. I've had to force the shut down a bunch of times. That's one problem. Now the computer it stuck in Startup Repair. Its been stuck like that for over 5 hours. I know it says it takes more than an hour, but its starting to piss me off. I deleted well over 85 GB's of hard drive space and defragmented it. It running this way all of the sudden isn't exactly common. A helping hand would be greatly appreciated.

A new problem. This one is quite a worry. When I open a big program like Bitlord, Limewire, Chorme or Photoshop, the computer freezes. I've had to force the shut down a bunch of times. That's one problem. Now the computer it stuck in Startup Repair. Its been stuck like that for over 5 hours. I know it says it takes more than an hour, but its starting to piss me off. I deleted well over 85 GB's of hard drive space and defragmented it. It running this way all of the sudden isn't exactly common. A helping hand would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have anti-virus and anti-spyware? Have you been running it?

Do you have anti-virus and anti-spyware? Have you been running it?

Yes. I ran a scan yesterday and there was nothing. Now today when I turn it on this happened. And to make it worse some lightning knocked out the lights during the Starup Repair. When I turn it on now it goes to ask for a restore point. Which it doesn't have because they were cleaned out yesterday.

What Anti-virus are you using? What is your operating system? Did you run spyware and malware detectors as well?

No. Neither. I was trying to create a back up disc yesterday but for an odd reason it stopped after a while.

Hey, I'm having some issues with my iMac. My internet browsing programs keep freezing up and going unresponsive. I've cleared the cache in the program, but its not solving the problem. I've tried to go through my systems cache but that ain't worked either. Any ideas on how to solve the issue? Or what could be the problem?

Hey, I'm having some issues with my iMac. My internet browsing programs keep freezing up and going unresponsive. I've cleared the cache in the program, but its not solving the problem. I've tried to go through my systems cache but that ain't worked either. Any ideas on how to solve the issue? Or what could be the problem?

I'm not real familiar with Macs, but I can offer you this piece of advice: quit using a Mac.

Seriously, they are not worth using, in my humble opinion. You should just dual-boot a different Operating System, like Windows or a Linux, nad you would be better off.

As far as advice on this particular problem, have you used different browsers? Are there certain web sites you noticing it happening more than others? Have you tried disabling things like Java and Flash to see if the Browser(s) still crash?

Here is a link I found on this subject, which is a forum thread. And in this forum thread there is a link to another thread on the subject, so you have a couple of different links you can read up on.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=450239

OK I'm have an XP computer, wireless dongle is a Belkin 54g and the router is a THOMSON TG585v7. Now every hour or so my connection drops only for a few seconds then reconnects, initially when I log on it takes anywhere between 5-20 minutes. However tonight it's been doing it every 10 minutes...I've talked to the other guys I live with and neither of them are having any problems.

Any ideas?

OK I'm have an XP computer, wireless dongle is a Belkin 54g and the router is a THOMSON TG585v7. Now every hour or so my connection drops only for a few seconds then reconnects, initially when I log on it takes anywhere between 5-20 minutes. However tonight it's been doing it every 10 minutes...I've talked to the other guys I live with and neither of them are having any problems.

Any ideas?

I had a problem similar to this recently, which was being caused, I believe, by surges in my power causing my router to go funky. Once I plugged it up to a surge protector on a battery backup system, I haven't had a problem since.

A second solution would be the fact you have a Belkin. Nothing good has ever come from Belkin when it comes to wireless networking. What kind of signal strength do you have? And when you say "wireless dongle", I assume you mean the piece which connects your computer to the wireless router?

Correct, the piece that connects from computer to the router. Signal strength is Excellent.

The fact that my other housemates haven't noticed it happen makes me think it's not the surge thing (or I'm on the net a lot more!)

I'm curious, do we have anybody on this forum with a somewhat advanced knowledge of Cisco, their Packet Tracer program and IP phones?

Edit: Might as well include my problem.

I have an assignment where I have to put up a small network in Packet Tracer, two routers connected across a serial link, and respectably connected to one switch each.

The switch is connected to the IP Phone, which is connected to a stationary PC, I'm having Call Manager Express running on the one router, so the IP phone connected to the second router on the other side of the serial link, has to cross the serial link to router 1.

I can get the IP phone connected to router 1 to register and configure itself through connecting with the Call Manager, but the second IP phone connected to router 2 is stuck in configuration mode (configuring CM and IP) so I can't call from that one to the other, and when I call from the active IP phone to the other, I get told it's "busy".

I tried asking my teacher, she was blank cause she's never tried it in Packet Tracer, I've followed the configuration lines on the assignment to a tee with the exception of some of the things that Packet Tracer doesn't support, and we've already eliminated those commands to be the reason.

Help appreciated :)

My friend has a virus that can only be removed by formatting (he can't access internet etc.), and I am wondering can anyone here say how to format and then install the os from the disk? If you must know he has windows 7 atm and I have the disk for windows 7 when he formats so I can install it. Can anyone here give a nice tut for me? :)

My friend has a virus that can only be removed by formatting (he can't access internet etc.), and I am wondering can anyone here say how to format and then install the os from the disk? If you must know he has windows 7 atm and I have the disk for windows 7 when he formats so I can install it. Can anyone here give a nice tut for me? :)

It's not hard at all.

First of all, I doubt very much the virus can only be removed by formatting. If you need to download something to remove the virus, buy a flash drive, download it somewhere else, and then install it on the infected computer. Make it a cheap flash drive, because you may want to throw the flash drive away after, to avoid possibly spreading an infection..

If you are insistent are re-formatting your computer, you need to know whether or not he'll continue to use the computer, or if he plans on giving it to someone else. If he's giving it to someone else, you need to download Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN), and run it. This will completely wipe your hard drive of sensitive material to all but the most shrewd and powerful data recovery programs. Even those will struggle to get your information back.

If he is just reformatting to reuse the program, don't bother wiping with DBAN. Here are the steps to do.

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc
2. Restart computer
3. Enter your computer BIOS and look for Boot Device Priority
4. Make sure your DVD-Rom is set to run as 1st Priority

After that, save your changes and restart your computer again. There will be a screen asking if you wish to install from the disc (I don't know what it looks like on W7), but select yes, and then just follow the prompts. As far as re-formatting, I believe the disc gives you that option.

It's actually quite simple.

It's not hard at all.

First of all, I doubt very much the virus can only be removed by formatting. If you need to download something to remove the virus, buy a flash drive, download it somewhere else, and then install it on the infected computer. Make it a cheap flash drive, because you may want to throw the flash drive away after, to avoid possibly spreading an infection..

If you are insistent are re-formatting your computer, you need to know whether or not he'll continue to use the computer, or if he plans on giving it to someone else. If he's giving it to someone else, you need to download Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN), and run it. This will completely wipe your hard drive of sensitive material to all but the most shrewd and powerful data recovery programs. Even those will struggle to get your information back.

If he is just reformatting to reuse the program, don't bother wiping with DBAN. Here are the steps to do.

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc
2. Restart computer
3. Enter your computer BIOS and look for Boot Device Priority
4. Make sure your DVD-Rom is set to run as 1st Priority

After that, save your changes and restart your computer again. There will be a screen asking if you wish to install from the disc (I don't know what it looks like on W7), but select yes, and then just follow the prompts. As far as re-formatting, I believe the disc gives you that option.

It's actually quite simple.

So wait during the installation the laptop will be formatted correct? If so sounds pretty simple thanks :D and nah it's his so he wont give to any1 else. Also about drivers, are they easy to get etc.?

So wait during the installation the laptop will be formatted correct? If so sounds pretty simple thanks :D and nah it's his so he wont give to any1 else. Also about drivers, are they easy to get etc.?
You will be given the option to reformat when you go to reinstall. You'll reformat then.

As far as drivers go, I recommend using Driver Max. It's only a free trial program, but since you only need it once, it'll do the job. Export all of your drivers and find a way to store them (make sure you do it without transferring a virus), and then when you get the new OS installed, just import the drivers.

You will be given the option to reformat when you go to reinstall. You'll reformat then.

As far as drivers go, I recommend using Driver Max. It's only a free trial program, but since you only need it once, it'll do the job. Export all of your drivers and find a way to store them (make sure you do it without transferring a virus), and then when you get the new OS installed, just import the drivers.

Alrighty cheers for the help sly :D

I sincerely apologize if I didn't post this in the right section, but I think this is where I should ask this question?

I recently got a new Panasonic Plasma television. It came as part of a package, with the purchase of a new mattress from Gardner White. It's a great tv, and it's working fine. The only problem is that it does NOT have a VGA (computer monitor) input, and I want to be able to plug my computer into the television so I can watch dvds/video files on the tv. My computer is a Dell Dimension E310, it was purchased about four or five years ago. I also should mention that the TV has component inputs, two hdmi inputs and regular rca.

I've tried to do some independent research about how to connect the computer to the tv, and come up with products like this:

http://www.amazon.com/VGA-HDMI-Cabl...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283283788&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/VGA-HDMI-Converter-LR-Audio/dp/B0015YWV1G/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex

Obviously, there is a vast difference in price on these puppies. I'm wondering if anyone will be able to tell me the cheapest way to go about setting this up? Everything I've read online says that I need to know if the video card in my computer will support a "digital signal output" to know whether I need the converter or not, but I haven't been able to find out if my computer's video card supports it.

I found another link that said I could find more information about my graphics card by running "dxdiag", and here's the info that popped up about my internal video card:

Name: Intel(r) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip Type: Intel(r) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset

DAC Type: Internal

Total Memory: 128.0 MB

Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Mode

Again, I apologize if I put this question in the wrong place. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm not looking for the highest resolution possible, just a watchable picture on the television...so I'm looking for the cheapest route possible to make my TV & PC compatible. Thank you in advance!

Well certainly if you want to simply plug your screen to your computer, then it should be absolutely no problem of plugging the HDMI to VGA cable together, as long as the wiring is long enough.

I must admit that I'm not thoroughly knowledgeable in terms of plugging VGA to HDMI, never bothered with it. However I would say that I see no problem in the simple cable solution.

I must ask though, is your graphic on-board? Shouldn't have to be a big problem, but I do believe it's easier to deal with through a normal graphic card that isn't on-board.

Edit: Of course you also have to consider, the box you link. It really looks more like an HDMI to HDMI connector. I could be wrong though, awful angle.

Ferbian, thanks for the super-fast reply! About that box...yes, it really is a terrible angle for the photo. There is a second photo, which shows the back of the box. The other side shows rca audio jacks, and a vga input. There are more expensive boxes like this, this one was just the cheapest I found (with kind of a lazy quick search).

You think that the cable will work on it's own? I'm just worried that my computer's video card won't be able to "handle" the cable, I have no idea if my computer supports video output like this. I'd think that it would, since the signal would be traveling out of the computer normally (just like it would to a monitor), but would the signal be translated correctly to the tv? I know it's a cheap-ass cable, but I'd hate to buy the thing and then have it not work.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question...I don't understand what you mean by "on board" (in reference to the video card). Do you mean internal? It's the standard video card that came with the bare-bones computer. I didn't have it upgraded when I ordered it. I really know absolutely nothing when it comes to computer hardware, the only thing that the online Dell manual said was that the video card had "integrated" graphics (or somthing like that)? Here's the link to the specs I found:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim3100/en/sm/index.htm

This next link is more specific, hit Ctrl-F and search "video". That's all the info I could find online about the video card.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim3100/en/sm/specs0.htm#wp1052310

The cable should very well be able to work for itself. At least I would expect it would, considering it works for itself between Playstations, Xbox's etc.

Your computer is a Dell, do you have the available access to checking it's Servicetag? I could check out the specifications that way through. Just to make 100% sure that we're not looking at an on-board graphic card, which I would be confident would take away from the experience, just a liittle bit to say the least.

Cool, I would hope that the cable works on it's own too...especially given how much cheaper it is than one of those converter boxes!

I do have the computer's service tag (at least Dell is good about that, they put a sticker right on the unit with the service tag & the express service code), but I don't know how to go about using that information? I didn't actually speak to a human at Dell, the recording told me that I would have to pay a "reasonable price" for a "premium service" so I could talk to one of Dell's technicians. I'm not willing to pay a service fee just to ask a simple question like this...it would probably be cheaper to just order the cable to find out if it works or not. At least at that point, I'd only be out $10 or whatever as opposed to however much Dell charges (I'd imagine it to be $30 or more for a year-long "subscription" -- or whatever -- to their service).

When you're talking about an "on-board graphic card", what do you mean exactly? Excuse my ignorance, but if it is on-board -- does that mean that the cable wouldn't work at all? Or I'd just get a lower-resolution signal (or have to lower the res on the computer to get it to work)? I'd GLADLY trade a lower-res picture for a cheaper price. I mean, I just want to be able to watch dvds and/or video files on a larger screen than my monitor...I'm not too worried about getting the optimal picture/sound out of the thing.

Shit...I went ahead and ordered this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/VGA-HDMI-Cable-6-feet/dp/B002TUC64W/ref=pd_cp_e_3

...the problem is that I didn't read all of the reviews on amazon, and they're a mixed bunch to say the least. Most of the reviews say that the cable does NOT work for using a TV as a computer monitor. Everyone seems to say that since VGA is an analog signal (and HDMI uses a digital signal) that a simple cable like this will not work for what I'm trying to use it for (a converter would be needed). My hope is that the television will be able to convert the signal on it's own? It might be a long-shot, if not I'll have to order that stupid little converter box (along with an extra male-to-male HDMI cable). At least the reviews for that little guy seem to be mostly positive (at least when it comes to using a TV as a computer monitor).

There was one review, the writer stating that it could work if you fuck with all the settings on the PC & the TV. I'm willing to give it a shot, before I shell out more money for a converter box & extra HDMI cable.

The product description on amazon says:

***NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card''s user manual for more information.*** Premium 6 ft VGA (HDDB15) to HDMI male to male Cable.Cable transmit video signals up to 1024 x 768 pixel resolution.Gold plated connectors to ensure superior signal transfer.Connectivity:1 x VGA HDDB15 15-pin - Male;1 x HDMI - Male.Color: Black;Cord Length: 6ft / 1.8m.Accessory ONLY.

...at least I can't fault the company (or amazon) for giving me false information.

The reason why I bring this up is because there was another review, with a dude complaining about how the cable "blew up" (or something to that effect) his video card. Do you (Ferbian, or anyone else) know if my video card might be in danger if I plug the VGA end into the computer and the HDMI end into the TV? I wouldn't think so, given that the signal on the computer is going out (and not in), and vice-versa on the TV...but I just would want to be on the safe side. Sorry if this is a stupid question, and sorry for taking up so much space on this discussion!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see once the damn cable arrives (hopefully a week or less?). Thanks for your replies, Ferbian! I'll let you know if it works (once it arrives), just in case anyone else has a similar question about using their tv for a computer monitor. I love these boards (and the mods!) for being so helpful. Thanks again, Ferb.

So I bought three new CDs recently and they arrived today and I went to burn them to iTunes. While two of them burnt properly the third (Up From The Catacombs The Best Of Jane's Addiction) isn't burning properly. Whrn I burn it the quality of the sound is static like and crackles, does anyone know how to deal with this problem???

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back