The Dark Knight Rises - SPOILERS... That's right, I said SPOILERS.

As I said earlier, I think a lot of that has to do with everything surrounding Ledger and that particular performance. I'm a mark for Tom Hardy, but the performance was outstanding. I'm going to concede Ledger was better, but if Heath's Joker is the greatest villain a comic book film has seen, I think Hardy is somewhere in the realm of number two.

Hardy would easily be in the league bellow Ledger and McKellen for me. In fact, he'd probably be on the top of that league. The physicality and voice of Bane combined for a very strange sensation where I sometimes found myself actually liking Bane. He had a charisma about him in the way he clearly preferred talking but was also an unstoppable beast in combat.

Wasn't a big fan of McKellen as Magneto. Not saying anyone else could have done a better job, but the character bored me.

It doesn't help that X3 wasn't very good, but his roles in X-Men and X2 were terrific, especially X-Men.

The emotion, the dialogue, the physicality - it brought more to the table than any kick-fest could ever pull off.

Ehhh, I guess it's an acceptable opinion. I think there's a bit more reality to many movie fist fights than the one in this movie, and that definitely tilts the scales for me. When a guy gets punched in the face hard about 5 times and doesn't make a single noise in response, it takes me out of the film.

*Scope. I was really tired when I wrote that, surprised you were the first to see that.

In that case, I understand. While the story told in The Dark Knight was pretty layered, this movie attempted to take on much, much more. Whether it succeeded or not is up for debate.

As I said in another post, he's definitely the new Batman, not Robin. That was clear.

Agreed.

Wasn't it actually a neutron bomb? More radiation, smaller explosive blast.

Whatever it was, Bane specifically stated it had a 6 mile radius

That's why the ending reminded me a bit of Inception. I'm not positive Wayne is actually alive. However, with Catwoman being there, I'm guessing he is, seeing Alfred had no idea they were "together."

Like Coco said, it's not one of those movies where people see things that aren't there... apart from pain based illusions that Bruce Wayne gets, anyway.

Additionally, while Bruce Wayne shared time as the hero with JGL for much of the movie, the overall trilogy is still seen from his perspective for the most part. They wouldn't show Alfred imagining Bruce alive because what Alfred thinks isn't important unless it effects Bruce.

Because Ledger's dead?

No. Because his performance was so much better :shrug:

In some ways, yes. In others, no, he's really not. Extremely intelligent, calculating, and an evil, evil human being. Naturally evil, actually. Born and raised that way. The Joker is a more popular character, no question, but I wouldn't say he's that much better.

The Joker was all those things and more. Joker's twice as sadistic as Bane and was in everything for himself, whereas Bane was avenging Ra's Al Ghul and completing the League Of Shadows mission to destroy Gotham. Bane was a pawn, The Joker wasn't.

I agree with this assessment, somewhat. However, I think everything surrounding Ledger's performance added to that feeling, it did for anyway. He had a larger impact, but I think Hardy did an equally excellent acting job.

It certainly helps that The Dark Knight is a better film. But of course that's partly because of Ledger's performance as Joker being superior to Hardy's as Bane. Not entirely Hardy's fault, Bane could have been used better, but it is what it is.

Bronson and Warrior are the only two that come to mind, and I'm not sure he was much better in Warrior than he was as Bane.

He was. Although I think it helps that I could understand what he was saying throughout the entire film.

Just finished seeing it and I was very happy. Money well spent.

The twist with Miranda being the person who escaped the jail was picked pretty early on by the Mrs of all people but I wasn't complaining. Made sense with the story, and I found myself asking numerous times who was the person that was protecting the child in the jail. I was pleasantly surprised this wasn't glossed over and was actually a major part of the plot. Very good storytelling and although it didn't have as much action as The Dark Knight, I still loved performances of Hardy and Bale once again.

****1/2 stars out of 5.

I liked the Dark Knight better though, as Heath Ledger's performance was just marvelous.

Just saw it. Absolutely delighted.

• Tom Hardy's Bane was terrifying. That's what I want from a villain - someone who can actually make me feel something.
  • Hathaway more than delivered as Selina Kyle.
  • Alfred didn't imagine the ending. He saw Wayne and Kyle together. He had no idea about their relationship.
  • I watched Batman Begins last night. While I enjoyed Scarecrow in that film, he was wonderful as the judge in TDKR. "Death it is... by exile."
  • Blake revealing his name as Robin made me smile. Mission accomplished.
  • Now that I think about it, the way Bane was killed off was a bit... y'know. But at the time, I was far too captivated by the movie to be bothered.
  • My favourite moment was leaving the cinema and thinking about Bruce Wayne's escape from the prison. The inmates were chanting "rise". "The Dark Knight Rises". Come on, how could you not love that?

For me the film doesn't live up. The thing I don't understand is why did the women fuck bruce wayne.

Why wouldn't she fuck Bruce?

Sidenote. That chick that played Miranda Tate was hot as fuck in this film. I didn't find her all that attractive in Inception but here she looked great. After I saw TDKR I googled her and holy shit does she have a ton of old French films where she takes everything off :lol:.

No. Because his performance was so much better :shrug:

It really wasn't. Listen, I get it - Ledger as The Joker will go down in history. Hardy as Bane? Not so much. However, Bane isn't 1/4 as popular, worldwide, as The Joker. That's part of it. However, acting vs. acting - I'm calling it a draw.

The Joker was all those things and more. Joker's twice as sadistic as Bane and was in everything for himself, whereas Bane was avenging Ra's Al Ghul and completing the League Of Shadows mission to destroy Gotham.

You can sell me on some things, but saying Joker was twice as sadistic is just wrong. They're similar, yet different characters. Both are insane, in some fashion or another. However, Bane is constantly in control. He knows what he's doing. He knows he's evil, and embraces it. Joker is just a nut. A really fun nut, and easily the more colorful character. Again, when it comes to acting, I call it a draw, if only because Hardy had a much tougher job.

Also, Hardy did a fantastic job making me look at Bane as something more than human. Bane doesn't fit in. He's a fish out of water just being near other people. He doesn't belong standing beside another human being. Hardy brought that out.

Bane was a pawn, The Joker wasn't.

I love how Miranda turning into Talia automatically made Bane a pawn. That's just wrong. Just because he took orders from the daughter of his mentor doesn't mean he didn't have a say. You seriously think that guy wasn't making decisions? Get real.

It certainly helps that The Dark Knight is a better film. But of course that's partly because of Ledger's performance as Joker being superior to Hardy's as Bane.

The Dark Knight is a better film, but not by a lot. Again, I think you are criminally underrating what Hardy did. Most are.

Not entirely Hardy's fault, Bane could have been used better, but it is what it is.

How? A bit vague, no? The only way Bane could have been better used is if Nolan had kept both Catwoman and Talia out of the film. Could he have gone that route? I think so, actually. Bane's a strong enough character to carry a film like this, as both a physical and psychological threat.

He was. Although I think it helps that I could understand what he was saying throughout the entire film.

I had no issue with Bane's clarity. Actually, it's possible he was too easy to hear. Sounded like it had been heavily edited. That's probably the only issue I had with Bane.

You can sell me on some things, but saying Joker was twice as sadistic is just wrong. They're similar, yet different characters. Both are insane, in some fashion or another. However, Bane is constantly in control. He knows what he's doing. He knows he's evil, and embraces it. Joker is just a nut. A really fun nut, and easily the more colorful character. Again, when it comes to acting, I call it a draw, if only because Hardy had a much tougher job.

Again you're describing Joker, he was a step or two ahead of Batman throughout the entire film, even at the ending, he turned Gotham against Batman. Hardy having a tougher job doesn't make it a better performance. I'll be honest, he beat my expectations, Hathaway as Catwoman did too. Actually, the more I think about it Nick;

Hathaway's Catwoman > Hardy's Bane.

Also, Hardy did a fantastic job making me look at Bane as something more than human. Bane doesn't fit in. He's a fish out of water just being near other people. He doesn't belong standing beside another human being. Hardy brought that out.

I could say exactly the same about Joker. He doesn't exactly fit in.

I love how Miranda turning into Talia automatically made Bane a pawn. That's just wrong. Just because he took orders from the daughter of his mentor doesn't mean he didn't have a say. You seriously think that guy wasn't making decisions? Get real.

I slightly exaggerated, he still wasn't top dog like Joker though.

The Dark Knight is a better film, but not by a lot. Again, I think you are criminally underrating what Hardy did. Most are.

It's funny you say that, I think you are slightly overrating his performance. It wasn't bad, it was good. Not as good as Ledger's Joker.

How? A bit vague, no? The only way Bane could have been better used is if Nolan had kept both Catwoman and Talia out of the film. Could he have gone that route? I think so, actually. Bane's a strong enough character to carry a film like this, as both a physical and psychological threat.

Question asked, question answered. Just the swerve with Talia and his send-off was what ruined it a bit for me.

I had no issue with Bane's clarity. Actually, it's possible he was too easy to hear. Sounded like it had been heavily edited. That's probably the only issue I had with Bane.

The only issue you had with Bane was that he was too easy to hear? I'm not sure how someone can be too easy to hear. But Bane? Bane was too easy to hear? You crazy.

The only issue you had with Bane was that he was too easy to hear? I'm not sure how someone can be too easy to hear. But Bane? Bane was too easy to hear? You crazy.

Yeah, as I said earlier, it sounded a bit manufactured. The editing/sound mixing/whatever made it more clear than it should have been.

Bane was very hard to understand til about half way through the film.

Even the Mrs was struggling and she has the hearing of a, well, something that has good hearing.

A few thoughts:
-Ann Hathaway was great as Selina Kyle.
-I had more trouble understanding Batman talking than Bane.
-Loved the death or exile sentencing, but I feel is more Jokerish than the villians in this movie.
-Did no see the twist in Talia being the one that escaped coming.
-Felt that the Robin name was more of them wiping Blake's history clean with the thingy that Selina Kyle was searching for in the movie so he can assume the role of the new hero without baggage.
-The ending was true and merely a wink at Inception's ending but not a similar 'is it real or not?' ending.

Some questions I have:
-How the hell did Blake know Wayne is Batman?
-Why the heck would the bad guys throw him into a far away prison and not simply keep him inside Gotham to watch the destruction up close and personal? Why would they trap him with people that is going to heal him?
-Why were the villains keeping the Gotham Police alive for 3months by giving them food and water? Won't they die to diseases by being trapped inside for months with no sanitation?
-Gordon suddenly remember putting a cape on a kid like what 20 years ago and piece together who Batman is?
-Did everyone know Wayne was Batman in the end? If not, how did the world accept Wayne died and started to split his assets?

-How the hell did Blake know Wayne is Batman?

This is explained in the movie with the whole "orphan anger" thing. Even if he wasn't 100% sure prior to meeting Bruce Wayne, Bruce didn't contradict him when confronted.

-Why the heck would the bad guys throw him into a far away prison and not simply keep him inside Gotham to watch the destruction up close and personal? Why would they trap him with people that is going to heal him?

Because it was personal for Bane to make Batman suffer in the exact same prison he suffered in. The whole idea was to further enforce in Batman's mind that he was broken, both physically and mentally, that he was helpless. If Batman is in Gotham, he would always believe that he could do something. It was about reinforcing the sense of utter hopelessness he hoped Batman was feeling.

-Why were the villains keeping the Gotham Police alive for 3months by giving them food and water? Won't they die to diseases by being trapped inside for months with no sanitation?

You really missed the entire point of what Bane was doing throughout the entire movie, didn't you? You can't have true despair without hope. The ENTIRE plan was to give Gotham a false hope before leaving it in ruins. Feed the cops, you give them false hope, knowing they are going to be reduced to ashes just like everyone else. Bane was mind fucking everyone. If he just slaughters the cops, the Gotham citizens wouldn't believe the hope, they would see him only as a butcher, not as a revolutionary savior or whatever.

-Gordon suddenly remember putting a cape on a kid like what 20 years ago and piece together who Batman is?

Having a great memory is one of the things that saw him get promoted to Comissioner. Police officers, at least good ones, tend to have great memories. Add that with the fact that despite Gordon publicly proclaiming he didn't care who the Batman was, we all know that he had to have had a small list of probables inside his head. He is a cop, that's what they do. He knew Batman had to be rich, and given the close relationship Batman had with him, he would know that there had to be something personal between them to tie them together. There aren't going to be many people on his mental Batman ID list that he also has that personal connection to. Once Batman told him about that, it should have been fairly obvious to Gordon.

-Did everyone know Wayne was Batman in the end? If not, how did the world accept Wayne died and started to split his assets?

No, Batman's identity was left secret. Alfred, Blake, Fox and Gordon know, but not the public. Why would it be so hard for the Gotham public to believe Bruce Wayne was killed in the time Bane ran the city? Bane made it a point to go after the wealthy, holding kangaroo courts, having Crane sentence them to death, exile, or death by exile, etc. Okay, so Bruce was a victim of one of Bane's "get the rich" hunts, only he was killed before he could be brought to "trial", thus no public witnesses. Sounds pretty damn plausible to me.

I loved the film, although I thought The Dark Knight was better. I much preferred Ledger's Joker to Bane.

Anne Hathaway was great as Catwoman....and looked amazing.

It was nice to see Alfred's dream of seeing Bruce in a cafe abroad after elaving Batman behind actually happen.

I liked the way Robin was introduced at the end, pretty cool with us finding out it was his real name, and they him finding the batcave.

I would have liked to have seen what Bane looked like without the mask, and if the mask was keeping him alive, how did he survive in the pit with bandages on his face

Why did Batman insist on talking to Catwoman in his "bat voice" when she already knew it was Bruce Wayne?

I would have liked to have seen what Bane looked like without the mask

Shinzon2379-2.jpg

You're welcome. lol

You really missed the entire point of what Bane was doing throughout the entire movie, didn't you? You can't have true despair without hope. The ENTIRE plan was to give Gotham a false hope before leaving it in ruins. Feed the cops, you give them false hope, knowing they are going to be reduced to ashes just like everyone else. Bane was mind fucking everyone. If he just slaughters the cops, the Gotham citizens wouldn't believe the hope, they would see him only as a butcher, not as a revolutionary savior or whatever.

That part was not only brilliant but logical. By positioning himself as a revolutionary and liberator, he gives the people hope and prevents any uprising from the public.

This is explained in the movie with the whole "orphan anger" thing. Even if he wasn't 100% sure prior to meeting Bruce Wayne, Bruce didn't contradict him when confronted.
But you have to admit it was flimsy at best. There was no build up to it. He literally just showed up at his door to tell him I know you are Batman after Gordon got hurt. If it was done in any other film it would get ripped for simply being there to move the plot along.

Because it was personal for Bane to make Batman suffer in the exact same prison he suffered in. The whole idea was to further enforce in Batman's mind that he was broken, both physically and mentally, that he was helpless. If Batman is in Gotham, he would always believe that he could do something. It was about reinforcing the sense of utter hopelessness he hoped Batman was feeling.
He could have easily just thrown Batman into one of the many holes in the sewers he dug. If you want to enforce utter hopelessness there are easier ways to do so than fly off to a foreign land to drop him into one hole and then fly back to complete your plans. If you want to enforce hopelessness why put him in a hole where he KNEW somebody had escaped from before? It has been years since I watch Batman Begins, but isnt the league of shadows about not taking chances too?

I think you missed my point. My point is why take the unnecessary risks? His plan was to appear to the public as the revolutionary saviour against the corruption of the city but really the plan all along was to torture Batman to let him know he couldn't do anything to save his city. His mindfucking only had one target in mind, Mr. Wayne.

Having a great memory is one of the things that saw him get promoted to Comissioner. Police officers, at least good ones, tend to have great memories. Add that with the fact that despite Gordon publicly proclaiming he didn't care who the Batman was, we all know that he had to have had a small list of probables inside his head. He is a cop, that's what they do. He knew Batman had to be rich, and given the close relationship Batman had with him, he would know that there had to be something personal between them to tie them together. There aren't going to be many people on his mental Batman ID list that he also has that personal connection to. Once Batman told him about that, it should have been fairly obvious to Gordon.
Really? Clearly clutching at straws. Gordon would have saw at least multiple cases similar to Wayne during his time in the service. The link is too far fetch and just a weak attempt to link Wayne and Gordon for the final part of the series.

No, Batman's identity was left secret. Alfred, Blake, Fox and Gordon know, but not the public. Why would it be so hard for the Gotham public to believe Bruce Wayne was killed in the time Bane ran the city? Bane made it a point to go after the wealthy, holding kangaroo courts, having Crane sentence them to death, exile, or death by exile, etc. Okay, so Bruce was a victim of one of Bane's "get the rich" hunts, only he was killed before he could be brought to "trial", thus no public witnesses. Sounds pretty damn plausible to me.
Because his body was never found? How do you explain his death with no body or no public incident? That's like claiming Buffet is dead without the dead body or any incident. Plausible doesn't make it good.

Streamed it last night, have a few more thoughts after a second viewing:

-Definitely not as good as The Dark Knight, but probably a tad better than Batman Begins.

-Still had no problems understanding Bane, and this was a pirated version.

-Bruce is definitely alive. Somehow I totally missed them telling Fox the autopilot had been fixed. I'll blame that on the morons I sat by.

I noticed something bigger the second time around - the entire thing felt a bit rushed (odd for a near three hour film, I know). The dialogue more than anything. The conversations were very quick and conveniently provided too much information. The Dark Knight didn't have that problem.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it, just not as much as I did on opening night (that's what happens, I guess). Still liked Bane as much as I did Joker, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back