Spawn's Interesting Fact of The Day 8-30-08

Afro-Ameri-Spawn

Houston's Hometown Hero
Mick Foley is know the worldwide as a hardcore legend. There are several notable incidents that solidified his hardcore legacy such as losing his ear in a match with Vadar and being pictured sitting back in the corner during the first Hell In A Cell match with his tooth coming out of his nose with a huge euphoric smile on his face.

So my Interesting Fact of The Day is this:

Most of has made Mick Foley the hardcore icon that he is, was purely by accident. Half Fact, half Strong Opinion. You decide.

His smile was an accident, people thought he lost most of his teeth in matches, he lost them in a car crash.

He's underrated as a wrestler. There are dozens if not hundreds of "hardcore legends", yet how many of them are 3 time world champions?

OK.Foley is ok.But nothing more.The HIAC was ok.The spots were good but the match itself was nothing special.Also HBK/Mankind is WAY Over rated.Don't know what anyone sees in it.

*Waits for internet backlash*

HBK vs. Mankind was one of HBK's top five matches, and that's saying something.

I tried ordering them - too hard. It's like every match should be joint first or second. So here's 9 more great matches. I'd say this would make up his top 10, but there are about many more that could fit that too.

Vs Angle - WM 21
Vs Bret Hart - WM 12
Vs Razor Raman - WM 10
Vs Chris Jericho - WM19
Vs Jeff Jarrett - IYH 2 (Possibly one of the most underrated matches I've ever seen)
Vs Vader - Summerslam 1996 (As above)
Vs Triple H - Bad Blood 2004
Vs Benoit Vs Triple H - WM 20
Vs The Undertaker - Bad Blood 1997

I'm going to have to argue on Bad Blood 97 and WM 20.

The HIAC match was more about Taker and Kane's run in as the match itself. Don't get me wrong: classic, but I'd take the Foley match by a hair.

The triple threat, I've NEVER seen the massive praise for. It was also good, but never was my favorite. I'm usually not a fan of multi man matches as it tends to take away some of the drama. Yet again, good match, but HBK was just kind of there also, almost on the side.

HIAC is a great match mostly for what it was. I mean, if you see that match it's pretty much Shawn getting near-killed, then getting the win due to Kane. But it was the first HIAC match. And he beat The Undertaker. Despite him being hurt, it's always been a favourite of mine.

I LOVE the Triple threat match. It's one of my favourite Triple threats. There was just nothing wrong with it. As you said, they usually take away from the drama. I don't think this one did.

I agree that Foley is underrated as a wrestler as his skill set has been reduced to flopping around on the canvas more than Ric Flair. Fact still remains, Foley is only a Hardcore Legend by accident. Other than the memorable spots, his other hardcore efforts were lackluster and generic.

Vs Angle - WM 21 Whole Heartedly Agree
Vs Bret Hart - WM 12
Vs Razor Raman - WM 10
Vs Chris Jericho - WM19 Easily one of his best
Vs Jeff Jarrett - IYH 2 (Possibly one of the most underrated matches I've ever seen)
Vs Vader - Summerslam 1996 (As above)
Vs Triple H - Bad Blood 2004
Vs Benoit Vs Triple H - WM 20
Vs The Undertaker - Bad Blood 1997 Easily Agree, best Cell to Date.

I would include those three matches, and the Summerslam 2002 match along with those three. Then Mind Games would be Number 5. The 2002 match was much better then the 2004 cell match, which is completely over rated in my book.

Yeah it is impressive that he won the first cell and EC. I think the thing for me with the Cell is that they didn't know what a great concept they had with it until the second one which blew the doors off, and they haven't been put back on yet. Granted they were two completely different kinds of matches.

I love the Summerslam 2002 match, but I think that's more to do with what that match was. He'd been gone for 4 years. And came back to that. But it was the type of match that 'ruined' it for me. I've never been a fan of Street fights.

It was a good match for all the violence that came with it. That really is a testament to shawn's ablities to have been gone that long and then do what he did.

The fact that he was gone for that long and came back as good as he was is amazing. I don't think anyone else could have done it, especially with what happened with him through those years.

I don't think so either. I didn't like the whole jeans, un sanctioned match either. If it was unsanctioned, why was tehre a WWE ref?

Another match that could easily be on that list is the classic with Shelton from the Gold Rush Tournament, May 2nd, 2005 (see, I know my HBK also)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back