Should kids be told that WWE is scripted?

Creepy Old Man

Championship Contender
Someone sent me a video of a kid screaming because John Cena got beat at a pay-per-view. I saw another with a child bawling his eyes out because the Streak ended. Turns out there are loads of these clips.

Shouldn't they be told it's just another live action show like Power Rangers? Or should kids be allowed to believe a la Santa Claus until the devastating hammer blow of truth is handed to them at whatever age their parents (or schoolmates, most likely) decide?

I believe they should be told from year nought, as I was, but I'd like to hear what others think.

Are you guys serious ? I was told right away that wrestling was fake when I first started watching, around the 3rd grade (age 8or 9 I believe). By then I already knew that Santa, The Easter Bunny, and the stuff you see in TV & movies wasn't real. Somehow I not only managed to watch and enjoy for another 20 plus years but it didn't ruin anything for me.

Of course you can tell a kid it's scripted

Someone sent me a video of a kid screaming because John Cena got beat at a pay-per-view. I saw another with a child bawling his eyes out because the Streak ended. Turns out there are loads of these clips.

Shouldn't they be told it's just another live action show like Power Rangers? Or should kids be allowed to believe a la Santa Claus until the devastating hammer blow of truth is handed to them at whatever age their parents (or schoolmates, most likely) decide?

I believe they should be told from year nought, as I was, but I'd like to hear what others think.

I say let them think it's real until either their classmates or the internet tells them otherwise, or until it just gets weird for them to still think it's real (before they go to Middle School), whichever comes first.

I mean why not have something extra for them to be happy and get invested in? For that kid who was crying when Cena lost, I'm sure it brings him joy when Cena is winning all the time. He probably gets hyped as fuck when he's watching a match and Cena starts doing that Superman shit.

I see no reason to tell them it's fake early on, personally I will let my kids enjoy their childhood and believe.

Do you think it would change the crying all that much? Adults still cry during movies. Hell, grown men cried when the Streak was broken.

My son is 23 years old and I never told him, he figured it out on his own. As a matter of fact, I've been a fan of wrestling since the early 90's and stopped watching it for a long time, he the one who got me back into it.

He never cried or got upset because he figured it was fake right from the get go, so I never had that issue. I guess it was the over the top personalities, the fact that they seemed to get the crap beat out of them on a weekly basis, or just the whole spectacle of wrestling in general.

If kids don't figure it out for themselves, then nothing wrong with a parent telling them, especially if they get upset watching it. But I've seen grown men almost cry at a WWE show when their favourite got the beat down.

This is a really good question >< it's a very tough to thing to figure out like a lot of parenting questions. Here's my thing, they'll find out. I started watching when I was like 8/9ish and pretty much immediately I knew, I think it was because I was horrified by Kane and someone told me in my house :p

It's like Santa, my sister is 5 years younger than me and one day she told me she didn't believe and it was like, took long enough. We still enjoyed Christmas, because Santa isn't the reason people enjoy Christmas. It's the family and gifts and other stuff. Wrestling isn't about the wrestling, it's about the storyline, the guys in the ring and basic storytelling. Sooner or later it'll be obvious, how many bad moves we see nowadays, how no one will ever bleed in the ring...kids aren't that stupid.

I say let them believe until it's an issue, if they're depressed because Roman Reigns got RKOed by Randy Orton through a table, there's a problem :p if they get bummed but realize Reigns will get his revenge at some point...that's fine

From 7-8 until 11 i believed it is real. My dad was laughing at me and saying its fake but i didnt want to believe him. For a kid at that age i think its ok to believe its real. It made it more enjoyable to me. I went to a house show and i believe i was the only one cheering for Owen against Bret and i was mad that everyone supported Bret haha. After i figured out its scripted ofcourse i still enjoyed it but i was old enough to deal with it and enjoy it from another perspective. I would let my son figure it out alone.

And lets not forget that in the 80s and early 90s there was no internet... Now its much more easy with all the information in the media and the internet to figure out its fake from a very young age...

I was about 7. Watching Beyond The Mat was the reason for me figuring it out. I for one think parents should tell there kids or actually sit them down to watch Beyond The Mat.

I think that is really something that you just kinda figure out pretty early on. Just like with Santa. Still doesn't mean that someone won't get pissed because of a certain outcome. The last the outcome of a match affected me I was 15 years old. I had known wrestling was scripted for some time but that didn't change how I felt about the outcome of that particular match.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd say it mostly depends on the kid or if there's something that you see taking place during an angle, segment, match or whatever that you feel you need to speak to the kid about as a parent.

If the worst thing that a kid sees is his favorite wrestler occasionally losing or being "injured", I think it's ultimately okay to let them discover on their own that wrestling isn't 100% real. Or, if you want to tell them that it's scripted anyhow, that they're all acting like they've seen in movies, I'm not sure I really see the harm. Just do so in a way that doesn't make them feel as if they were stupid for ever thinking it was, don't ridicule them, poke fun at them, etc. Of course, depending upon the kid, his/her age, etc., there's no telling whether he/she will believe you or not.

However, if you see something going on that's controversial, like we saw early on with Jack Swagger & Zeb Coulter, especially if the child is Latino or partially Latino, I think that a parent should step in and inform the kid that they're just acting and that the thing is scripted. After all, it's a proven fact that kids can be influenced by things they watch on television and if a kid who believes wrestling is 100% real and that Coulter meant everything he was saying, a parent should explain things. Hell, look at how many adults of all ages got in an uproar over it whether they be regular people or politicians. Part of the reason why is because many people from all walks of life have been successful in intertwining illegal immigration and racial hostility to the point where you can be quite often painted as racist if you're against undocumented people coming across the border. Otherwise, who knows, your kid might wind up going to school the next day and wind up saying something that could be racist or imply that one of their classmates is here illegally because he/she is Latino without knowing the ramifications or real meaning of what he/she might be saying. Again, explain it in a way that doesn't make the kid feel embarrassed or humiliated.

Fucking hell lads.

FlairFan has the right of it. 9-year-old me was capable of understanding the difference between fiction and non-fiction. All of us in school knew it was fake; it's why one kid always refused to drop the strap in our little video game sessions because he'd argue that it made no sense for him to lose (what a Hogan).

Suspension of disbelief is what it's all about. You can be scared of the Daleks while knowing they're not real.

If a kid was screaming about Cena losing, it could be independent of kayfabe awareness. I was gutted when Triple H defeated Cactus Jack in the retirement match. Because I knew that on some level he must be making a decision to retire (lol wrestler retirements).

At the very young age of 2, my son was questioning plot holes and botched moves, so I told him, pretty much right away, that it&#8217;s scripted. I explained that the SuperStars do get hurt, but for the most part, they are trained to do these moves. I even showed him when someone really gets hurt, you&#8217;ll see the ref make the X sign. I explained to him that it&#8217;s like any other Hero vs. Villain show.

Even after telling him, he was upset that the Rock beat John Cena at WrestleMania. I told him that even though my guy won that night, I&#8217;m 112% sure Cena will get him next year. Sure enough, not only did Cena get even, but he took the Gold. Now my son brags that even though the Rock beat him once, Cena won when it really mattered.

Considering I've seen grownups get as upset when a wrestler wins or loses compared to their sports team winning or losing, there really isn't any reason to tell them. Let them have their fun.

Now when it gets to the point where they are early teens and other kids rag them for saying it's real, then it's probably a good time to tell them it's not, but to not give up liking it as much as they do.

The only time parents should step in immediately is when kids try putting moves on other kids that could legitimately hurt them. I know they have those "Don't do what we do" PSA's, but those work. Not fully anyway. Kids are still in the paper because they killed or seriously injured a relative or friend.

My opinion now - tell them it is just a show. wwe wants that strong reaction from the kids but anytime they have a wrestler do something that doesn't go over well with the public they use the excuse "it's just a character, Sutherland didn't really kill all those people in 24". That is fine for the adults but since they want the kids invested in the wrestlers, they don't know the difference. You cant have both. When I was a kid in the 80's, it was a little different so not telling wasn't a big idea but today wwe focuses so much on kids that I think they need to make an effort to say that the guy who you are seeing on tv and the guy who you are meeting live are not the same.

I managed to figure it out when I was 6, but that was only because of a few botched moves. Like the others have said, it really depends on the kid. It's just like any other show on TV. Just because they know it's fake, doesn't mean they still won't get emotional over it though. My dad cried when the streak was broken. A lot of people did.

I have been a wrestling fan since like age 6 or around there.. I pretty much figured out by age 9 that it was fake.. Kinda popped into my head,that Macho man a 230 pound man leaping from the top rope,driving his elbow into someones throat might kill them!

But as far as telling a kid its scripted if he asks then tell him or her.. But do it in a gentle way,like Jack said dont make him/her feel stupid but explain it,calm and rational.. Yes son/daughter it is fake these are trained athletes and every move is scripted.. But sometimes,you mess up and people do get hurt..

Kids can be influenced by what they see or hear on tv radio or the internet.. Controversial subjects like Jack and Zeb are a perfect example.. I think its wise to tell your kid that their only acting,and playing around.. But its touchy also..

Because if your even against illegal immigration you can be labeled as a racist,and thats a ugly brush to be painted with.. This might be off the subject,but i dont know when a good age to have your child start watching wrestling! Because its a little easier to explain that it is indeed scripted,but a little harder to explain controversial subjects.

They dont happen a lot but when they do,its definitely a hot button topic!

I was told pretty early on. I didn't believe it though. Eventually I accepted it.

With my nephews they were all told pretty early on and it doesn't change anything for them. They still enjoy it and have debates over which wrestler is better and get mad when a wrestler they like loses.

There's no harm in telling them. Rather than the way I got it as being "it's fake" and leaving it at that. The approach that was taken with my nephews was basically it's just like a movie or any other television show. But the wrestlers do get hurt for real sometimes.

It's always been amusing to see people put down pro wrestling because it's scripted: as if all the shows we watch on TV and the movies all our lives aren't scripted. If it's okay for kids to know that police shows don't feature cops gunning down criminals for real.....and those scenes involve death, not just one person beating up another, I see no reason to not tell kids that wrestling shows are planned in advance.

Then again, pro wrestling was reality TV before there was reality TV. To my way of thinking, a lot of today's reality stuff is as scripted as the average TV or movie production....and no one seems to be having any particular problem with that.

Somehow, I knew wrestling was scripted a long, long time ago. I don't remember if my parents confirmed it for me or not, but it didn't matter much, anyway.

LOL for real a kid was crying cause john semen (no wrestler or technical at all) lost his match hahhahaha a child bawling his eyes out because the Streak ended? Underfaker is not a wrestler either just like 5 moves seriously fans have to advert and convert to TNA and ROH where wrestling is realistic and unpredictable not worst wrestling excrement ( walt Disney)

Hell, grown men cried when the Streak was broken.
It's different when people cry during a death scene, or something like that, because those are things people cry about normally in every day life. But losing a streak? If people cry about things like that, especially in a scripted program, they need to seek help because they are taking this way too personally than it should be.

I have been a wrestling fan since like age 6 or around there.. I pretty much figured out by age 9 that it was fake.. Kinda popped into my head,that Macho man a 230 pound man leaping from the top rope,driving his elbow into someones throat might kill them!
That wouldn't kill anyone at all. The fact that none of it actually looked like it hurt is what did it for me. Friends would tell me that this was real and I'd be like "Of course not, that's ridiculous." As if Andre would actually be knocked out after Hogan's silly leg drop. I still enjoyed the action, same way I enjoyed shows like Power Rangers where they knock out bad guys by screaming "Yah!" and throwing a shitty kick that doesn't connect. Wrestling was always a show to me, and I loved it more for it. I would probably be disinterested if it was real. I hate reality TV.

I think parents should educate their kids that this is not wrestling at all and UFC is as real as ever and have the kids watch realistic violence that they crave and search for and not get disappointed after when they find out its fake like santa claus lol
For those moronic fans who cried over their wrestlers GET OVER IT !!!
Parents should tell them that these wrestlers are not wrestlers but employed by Walt Disney and they are fictious characters exactly related to Mickey MOuse, Pluto, Donald Duck, Minnie mouse Goofy and more

It's a simple matter of this:

The easy way or the hard way? The easy way is to tell them. Even if it's upsetting, hearing it from a parent or family member is much easier to take than hearing it from some wise ass school kids who will burst your bubble in a harsher way (the hard way).

For some people, passion is lost when you find out the truth. I realized it about 12 years ago, and it took me a long time to rediscover my passion. My enthusiasm for the "show" became enthusiasm for the "business" instead. I still love the show, but I cannot suspend my disbelief and absorb myself in it like I used to as a kid.

If it is found out in the wrong way, it can sap the fan out of a person for good.

Nobody smartened me up, I remember how I figured it out on my own at a reasonably young age, and figuring it out on my own was probably the best way for it to happen. And it happened at an age that I didn't have other kids telling me it was fake beforehand. I guess I was the little douchebag who went into school the next Monday telling them how I knew it WAS.

The MSG channel used to show live WWF events. There was a match/angle involving two guys (who they were escapes me at the moment). But there was a heel turn or something along those lines, something that these days only happens on televised events.

About a week after seeing that occur live from MSG, I'm watching the Saturday Morning WWF program, and during one of those "news update" segments with Lord Alfred Hayes or someone, they talk about this incident that occurred at the Philadelphia Spectrum. And they show footage.

And it was the same exact thing that I saw occur in MSG at a house show that took place a day before, or a day after, the one that was held in the Spectrum.

For whatever reason, that revelation did not make me stop watching. I just watched it differently.

The business has changed so much from back then, I think there are more reasons for kids to question it now, and of course, there is the internet.

I don't see the point in preemptively ruining it for a kid. If he questions it, then tell him.

I babysit my neice and before her my three cousins when they were younger. They tend to figure it out on their own and once they do I confirm it when they ask me. But I wouldn't go out of my way to spoil it. Watching Raw with kids that are still 100% invested in it is a hell of a lot of fun. About the only time I can get into Cena's more typical tv matches (he's a great PPV performer though) is watching him with the kids. They get so hyped over the 5 moves and other faces as well that it becomes contagious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back