Why you can't market the WWE directly to kids....

So, while I disagreed that you can't market it to kids, I do agree that you have to somewhat target the parents who have the purchasing power in their family which I think is the main point you were trying to make.

Besides just sharing some funny kid stories, I think I was generally implying that it would suck if the WWE was marketed solely to kids, like if it was a complete kids show like, I dunno, something on the Disney Channel... though it isn't so I guess my point was redundant.

One thing is for sure. If the WWE was like it was during the attitude era I wouldn't let my son watch it. I'm sure a lot of parents feel the same way. In the 90's the WWF gambled their future for immediate gains. They didn't do this because it was a smart long term strategy. They did it because they were desperate. If they didn't beat WCW they were going down and there'd be no future. They are far from that situation today. While not enjoying the all time highs the late 90's brought they are stable and enjoy the ability to think long term. And children play a huge role in most long term marketing strategies.

One thing is for sure. If the WWE was like it was during the attitude era I wouldn't let my son watch it. I'm sure a lot of parents feel the same way. In the 90's the WWF gambled their future for immediate gains. They didn't do this because it was a smart long term strategy. They did it because they were desperate. If they didn't beat WCW they were going down and there'd be no future. They are far from that situation today. While not enjoying the all time highs the late 90's brought they are stable and enjoy the ability to think long term. And children play a huge role in most long term marketing strategies.

My son is 4 and I'm still not ready for him to really get into it because I don't think he can separate himself from the violence of it yet. He knows of it because of how often he sees it from myself, my wife, and my friends but so far its just something on the TV quite often. He associates with several things, namely fireworks and theme songs because he's quite a musical kid and he runs to the TV when he hears a song he recognizes. But when the song ends he leaves back to whatever he was doing cuz he isn't yet interested in the matches. Although he does have an affinity for the US Title which he calls "The Flag Belt."

Anyways, Monday during RAW he was trying to imitate the Uso's war dance, which was awesome and I was loving it... then he asked me to do the same with him (since he obviously saw two Usos doing it)... that was cool as we did a half ass version. Then the match started and he jumped at me and started swinging at me. And I'll be damned if I wasn't uncomfortable with that. We wrestle around as typical father and son stuff on the bed or on the floor as stuff but he doesn't associate that with fighting, its more tickling and holding limbs and playful biting as in "I'm gonna eat you!" Now Monday he was pretty much throwing punches with an intent to hurt me... imitating the violence of the show. I dunno, I spoke to him about it but I don't think he's ready for all this yet. Tough call as a parent.

In the end though, my dad taught me quite well about this awesome business and I'm sure I'll do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back