Shoot interviews/Wrestling book thoughts

Twiztid Rodimus

Pre-Show Stalwart
And Im not talking the ''Shoot'' interviews in the ring like Russos bash at the beach the like. Im taking sit down, in a room, shoot interviews. Or...actual wrestling books

I am, and have always been a fan of shoot interviews since I first heard of them and was exposed years ago. Now, mind you, Im 27, so their arent exposing the buisness to me anymore than I already knew at this point. Ive watched since I was 3, and havent stopped since. So these just give more even more insight and detail of the workings of writers, the buisness and such.

I have listened to MANY of these things, I lost count awhile ago, but I have favorites. And I have certain things that make a shoot interview worth listening to and enjoying. These ''shooters'' DO get paid, so I find it not bad to have a certain level of expectation within them.

1) Good enticing questions, and not paying attention to detail. If the question was previously answered, then the interviewer should NOT repeat those questions. It shows they pay attention to not repeat them. The New age outlaw shoot had ALOT of repeat questions and Billy and Brad would mention that.

2) Keep the questions buisness related unless the person gives up more personal info. Many times people would ask questions that are uncomfortable for the shooter and it ruins the flow of the shoot. Also, getting WAY too specific with dates and events. The wrestlers at times do not remember thing that are too specific, so this should be pre screened before hand.

The rest is up to the listener/Watcher, if the shoots are ''good'' or not. Many of the shoots tend to ALWAYS go in the same direction and certain questions are a CONSTANT. Wcw downfall, backstage politics, injuries, thoughts on certain wrestlers (i.e Hogan,flair,hbk,trips,Russo)

Examples of shoots/Books:

Great/Informative:
Lance storm shoot: Very detailed, it was like listening to a well written audio book, from the begining of his career to the end. One of my favorites.

Ron Simmons shoot: Does NOT bullshit you in anyway, and he speaks so clear. Showing his respect for the buisness and those in it.

Kevin Sullivan shoot: End of Wcw: Lengthy, but detailed, and he seems to be honest within it.

Edge/Jericho/Mick foley/Bret hart autobiographies: Brets was INSANELY detailed, but I always respected the novels written by the wrestler themselves. And these four stand out as GREAT reads, and you can tell they were written by them

Funny:
Aforementioned Foley's first two books

New Jack: Anytime he's on the mic in front of a shoot camera its either funny or insane. Depends on the listener. In my opinion,he has NO respect for the buisness, but has used it to the best he can to make his name

Jimmy Yang: Though he sounded stoned in it, It was detailed and funny.

Paul london: No where NEAR as informative as it would have been had he not been drunk, but was funny.

WORST SHOOT INTERVIEW EVER: Virgil....by NO means is this good and he is a laughing stock in my opinion.He's a bigger mark than ANYONE on this site.

So, the point of this thread is too get your thoughts on shoot interviews, and to see if you enjoy them. Speak on some you may have watched/listened to. And if you agree with them.

Some feel it exposes the buisness WAY too much, Some dont. Let me hear your thoughts.

I really enjoy hearing true stories about professional wrestling. I have read Foley's first 2 autobiographies, and the autobiographies of Flair, Hogan, Guerrero, Jericho, HBK, Hart, Martha Hart, and DDP.

The thing that kept me reading was an interest in the wrestling world. I was fascinated with hearing about the business and what really goes on. My favorite parts are when they first break in...the training, traveling, and the low spots. It shows that they had to struggle and fight to get to where they are.

I also enjoy the humor. Like when P's bed, or when Andre spread newspaper on a hotel bed and then left the biggest shit Hogan ever saw.

I don't mind the criticism. It is that person's pov, so let's hear it. Now, I'm not really big on shoot videos, because they seem like desperate cries for attention. The sole purpose of shoot videos is because the person has an axe to grind and they have a chip on their shoulder. They are meant to discredit others.

All of the people that wrote autobiographies did it to make money and to tell their stories. Foley did not write solely to bash Bishoff and Flair, but it was part of his story and his perspective. Hart wrote to tell the truth, not bash Vince and Shawn. Shawn wrote to tell how he was, and now how he is.

Does this make any sense?

I am a big fan of the autobiographies where the wrestler is honest and reveals juicy information that previously noone would have known.

Mick Foley/Shawn Michaels/Ric Flair/Chris Jericho and especially Bret Harts books are excellent for this. Great reads.

Also, I enjoy watching shoot interviews of wrestlers I am interested in, where they speak honestly about the business and their experiences.

I have seen great ones with Raven, Ken Shamrock, Shawn Michaels, Marty Jannety, Jim Cornette and Sandman. They are talk honestly and reveal alot about the backstage goings on in the business. I wish there were more of these around, and that wrestlers didnt always feel the need to stay in character when not in the ring.

I enjoy books and shoot interviews here or there, if only to be better informed as a fan. I like to know more. I like wrestling, so if I can learn more about it I'd be more than happy to tune in. Sometimes though, it's just a bad idea. Guys will say too much or come off ad jackasses, that doesn't generally happen though. Generally they are nice and informative. I obviously like shoots that teach me something more than the ones that throw dirt on other people, companies, or angles/stories. Shoots can be useful, most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back