• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

She eyes me like a pisces when I am weak

And Cobain's lyrics were fantastic, sorry if you don't appreciate poetry D-Man, because that's what it is, it's the same kind of avant-garde poetry that the beatniks or hippies used.

Ah, yes... the number one defence in honor of Nirvana when someone says their songs make no sense. Dude, let's face it... hippies will call ANYTHING poetry. Its the easiest, cop-out excuse that can be used as an excuse for writing a bad song. If throwing words together that barely have any meaning is considered poetry, then we can advocate the speech of stupid people across America for their poetic sentence structure.

The amazing thing is, had Kurt Cobain not martyred himself for a bunch of ignorant-ass depressed high school kids whose nihilistic existances at the time were a burden on society in general, Nirvana's music wouldn't be nearly as revered. It's called "Owen Hart Syndrome." Die in some overblown, sudden, crazy manner and all of a sudden you've accomplished more than you actually did.

Not only is Nirvana criminally over rated, but the following is true:

1. Kurt Cobain isn't even the most talented musician who died young in the 90's. Bradley Newell from Sublime and Layne Staley from Alice in Chains both trump him, and Shannon Hoon from Blind Melon is up there along side him.

2. Nirvana wasn't even the best of the "MTV Unplugged" series. Alice in Chains was.

3. Screaming Trees and Mother Love Bone were grunge long before Nirvana.

4. Queen was doing grunge style music in one or two songs when Cobain was potty training.

THIS THIS THIS THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FUCKING THIS^^^

(Well, except for the "Owen Hart syndrome" comment)

Ah, yes... the number one defence in honor of Nirvana when someone says their songs make no sense. Dude, let's face it... hippies will call ANYTHING poetry. Its the easiest, cop-out excuse that can be used as an excuse for writing a bad song.

It's poetry. That's what lyrics are, whether written to music or not. Poetry. This isn't debatable. Explain to me how his lyrics are so terrible.

If throwing words together that barely have any meaning is considered poetry, then we can advocate the speech of stupid people across America for their poetic sentence structure.

Every word Cobain wrote had a meaning. You're really not up on your poetry are you D-Man? What do you think it is? Poetry doesn't need to tell you a story, it needs to convey emotion.

THIS THIS THIS THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FUCKING THIS^^^

(Well, except for the "Owen Hart syndrome" comment)

I've had this debate with IC before, and I thoroughly trounced him then, and shall again.

Right IC? :thumbsup:

I don't get trounced often. And X has never trounced me. He thinks he does because he swears a lot and calls my posts "Utter Horseshit," but in the end I generally get my point across.

Exhibit B is the fact that X is picking on my typographical error of spelling Brad Nowell's name wrong. I'm at work with 3 projects on my computer - bound to happen sometime.

Anyway, I don't want people to think that I feel Nirvana is a bad band. They aren't. They're just criminally over rated. And they were that way during their prime, too. They essentially gave a voice to the depressing meaninglessness of the generation. It's no surprise that grunge is essentially dead in the mainstream (noted exceptions are Puddle of Mudd and Seether) where as Hair Bands continue to tour and new hair bands are actually forming.

I'd also like to point out that Dave Grohl's best work came post-Nirvana with the Foo Fighters, the same band that knocked Nirvana out of last year's WZ Rock Tournament and went on to win the 90's region.

:disappointed:

Foo Fighers? Foo Fighters have made a grand total of one good album, and have since gone on to make utter shit, followed by more utter shit. The music taste of most people on this forum is piss poor, which is why Queen won the rock tournament, which is a joke.

:disappointed:

Foo Fighers? Foo Fighters have made a grand total of one good album, and have since gone on to make utter shit, followed by more utter shit. The music taste of most people on this forum is piss poor, which is why Queen won the rock tournament, which is a joke.

Maybe they'd have lost if you'd shown up, but instead you were afraid of me and stayed away. There's no shame in that, really.

I was a bit busy with the working/studying/not having internet. Yeah, that kind of hurt.

Once the Beatles were eliminated, the tournament was pointless.

I was a bit busy with the working/studying/not having internet. Yeah, that kind of hurt.

Once the Beatles were eliminated, the tournament was pointless.

Your face is pointless.

The Beatles lost a close match to The Who. And I agreed wholeheartedly.

I felt that the Rock Tournament was the most interesting and telling tournament we've ever held on WZF.

Alice in Chains >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nirvana

STP >>>>>>>>>>> Nirvana

Nirvana > Soundgarden

Toadies >>>>>>> Nirvana

Nirvana >>>>>> Metallica

Nirvana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fall Out Boy

Nirvana >>>>>>>>>> Pearl Jam

No it isn't. They were the #2 seed in the strongest region, and in the finals, defeated Metallica by one vote, 41-40. 81 people voted. How is that sketchy?

Just seems odd to me. Queen was good, but greatest of all time? If I told someone that Quee was the greatest Rock band of all time, I think I'd get laughed at.

How is Queen's win sketchy? Metallica's overrated, self-important asses being in the finals is sketchy. Freddie Mercury is the best lead singer of all the times, and the bands harmonic skills are second to none.

Queen may be better than Metallica, but I just never thought of them as one of the "greatest" of all time. Not sure who I consider the greatest, but it probably isn't Queen.

I have to be 60 years old in order to be able to consciously identify who the true legends of the music business actually are? And you want to throw NIRVANA in that category?? Give me a break.

I'm a proud musician and I KNOW what real music is about because I have to perform it. You guys just hear a tune, think it sounds cool, and all of you begin to worship it all.

You honestly can't appreciate a contribution to music unless you truly understand it.

:lmao: I read this, and my brain registered "spoken like a guy that knows theory" But all shitty joking aside, I get where D-Man's coming from. I like Nirvana, but I can't really say they're the best, because to be perfectly honest, I can say that there are better bands. But what's so wrong in liking them? I'll listen to Lithium, Breed, and In Bloom with a smile on my face.

Granted, I'm not the authority on Grunge, but their appeal doesn't exactly lie on their simplistic music structure (not how grunge works, if I recall correctly) the fact is: Nirvana was grunge. Like it or not, it's the most well known band, save Soundgarden and Alice in Chains(not as much grunge rather than heavy metal, in my opinion.) Can't exactly hate on them for it, really.

Cobain just reflected his thoughts and his poetry onto his music, and people identified, and like/love it. What's so wrong about that?

STP >>>>>>>>>>> Nirvana

Wow so much NO here I don't even know what to say. STP were the poppy bastardized version of grunge, they were a laughing stock, they were like what pop punk is to hardcore punk. I like STP, but they aren't even in Nirvana's solar system.

And Toadies? FUCKING TOADIES?! No. Just no.

Queen winning is real sketchy.

Beyond sketchy. Queen was never even the best band of it's era, let alone of all time. Anyone who's going to sit here and tell me Queen was a better band than The Beatles, I'm going to laugh in their ill-informed face.

Queen is a great band, but on this board they may just be the most overrated thing to ever exist. I could name a good twenty better rock bands than Queen.

Nirvana >>>>>> Metallica

Nirvana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fall Out Boy

Nirvana >>>>>>>>>> Pearl Jam

I stand by my fellow FromTheBack poster on this. Metallica was and is shit, Fall Out Boy needs to die in a fire, and Pearl Jam was okay. I wouldn't turn the radio if they were on.

I have to be 60 years old in order to be able to consciously identify who the true legends of the music business actually are? And you want to throw NIRVANA in that category?? Give me a break.

I'm a proud musician and I KNOW what real music is about because I have to perform it. You guys just hear a tune, think it sounds cool, and all of you begin to worship it all.

You honestly can't appreciate a contribution to music unless you truly understand it.

D-Man, this sounded like on big jack-off session to me. Especially the bolded part. You're a musician, so you understand music better than I do? I played in band for 3 years, Percussion section. Can I give you my opinion on musical matters? The last I checked, the only thing you needed for music was to be able to feel the music, and feel what the artist was trying to tell you. Didn't know I had to be apart of a band. I feel so silly now.

I think Alice in Chains was the best band of that era. I like STP a lot too, even if they are a pop punk band as X says.

I didn't say they were pop punk. I'm just saying they were known as being commercial-friendly more mellow grunge. Barely grunge really, more just alternative rock. They weren't very consistent either.

Dead and Bloated is an awesome song.

Alice in Chains was awesome. I can't stand this new version. Maybe if I had never heard Alice in Chains before, I would like this new version, but the new singer is not Layne Staley, and if I ever hear that fuck singing Down in a Hole I may rush the stage and kill him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back