Sam Points Out the Rules or At Least His Interpretation of Them

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
When asked how to decide a winner in this tournament, Shocky replied with:

Kayfabe/who you think was better.

Now, I got a little of mockery last tournament round for interpreting matches as a shoot contest. I in fact did not interpret them as a shoot contest, just a contest between how good two wrestlers were and who would beat who based on their style, history and accomplishments mixed in with a little common sense.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan on the "who you think was better" part, sort of vague, but I guess it kinda ties in and then there's the fact that it's Shocky who does all the hard work and not me.

Then there's my personal advice:

Do NOT decide on a vote because you're not aware of one team.

We've had one case of this already. I'd personally recommend, just to make the tournament fairer, you skim through teams' Wikipedia articles and watch about three or preferably more matches of theirs. YouTube is your friend.

Famously, I wasn't incredibly familiar with Kenta Kobashi. I headed to YT, assured that I'd find a treasure trove of classics. I picked five matches from various points in his long career, then an MV just to give me a bit of a summary. I returned, further educated, only to confess that I just didn't get the big deal.

In another case, I looked up some Dean Malenko matches after the man came up against my pick of the tournament, Kurt Angle. I'd largely ignored his matches so far, stopping only to read comments from the more aware. Having been largely protected from WCW I hadn't seen really any of Malenko's prominent matches, and I barely remembered his run in the WWF - even Perry Saturn and his mop seemed a more remarkable "Radical". What I discovered made me damn near denounce Angle (I actually did at one point) and add Malenko to my all-time personal favourites - number seven, I believe. If it had been anybody but Angle facing him in that match (an Ultimate Submission match, if I remember correctly) I would have damn well put them over. The results were criminal, Angle getting past Malenko relatively easily. Angle was then knocked out by RVD in the following round in an even bigger theft.

I think that's really it. You'll end up a bigger and better wrestling fan in the end as a reward for your effort. I thought I had something else to say. If I do, I'll just add it on here. Feel free to add your thoughts.

I agree 100%. If you don't know a team go research them Like Sam Said Check out their matches on youtube and check their History on Wikipedia. It's really not that hard to make an informed opinion.

I've remembered what the third point was!

No Excuses​

I remember when the eventual winner The Undertaker faced Shawn Michaels. Was a great thread by all means. It was somewhat ruined when somebody, not pointing fingers, claimed that the Big Show would be pissed off from his previous loss to The Undertaker and would come out and beat him mercilessly, allowing Michaels to get the win.

There was also talk about Sherri and Bearer getting involved. Not nearly as ridiculous, but I don't see why it should be taken into account. Rather luckily, LAX have a choice between Konnan and Hector & Salinas, should such a situation arise again, though I will dismiss it before pointing out their flaw. Similar silly arguments were dotted around the tournament - old friends interfering here and "trickiness" being pointed out there. Some even seemingly suggested that Ultimate X is a platform from which to launch offensive maneuvers; I'm guessing that's why RVD won, yeah?

Do NOT decide on a vote because you're not aware of one team.

We've had one case of this already. I'd personally recommend, just to make the tournament fairer, you skim through teams' Wikipedia articles and watch about three or preferably more matches of theirs. YouTube is your friend.

YES!

Thank you for this wisdom Sam! Kiddies, part of the point of all of these tournaments, albeit singles, tag team, music, film, etc, isn't just to debate and have some fun, but it's an educational experience as well. This is your chance to learn about things you may have missed. Going into the last WZ tournament, nobody on these boards - myself included - knew just how awesome Big Van Vader's resume really was, but I researched it and people took time to listen. XFear educated me on the greatness that is Terry Funk. I learned to love the band Muse during my research in an attempt to derail them against Live in the music tourney. Do yourself this one favor -strive to learn something new about AT LEAST one of the teams in this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back