Match of the Tournament

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
So, now that all has been - pretty much - said and done, what was your favourite match of the tournament? I'm not going to give you any criteria to decide this by, you decide by yourself.

For me, in sheer dream match terms, it's Kurt Angle vs. Dean Malenko in the Ultimate Submission match. As has recently been revealed, they're my number one and number seven on my all-time favourites list respectively, and the stipulation suited them perfectly. Although, come to think of it, I think Malenko would pull out the win considering the stipulation. Meh, he'd only have gone out to RVD anyway.

In terms of debate, it's The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. I was on top of my game, looking over old match records, calculating percentages and researching matches... most of which I had on DVD strangely enough, so I could afford to watch them of an evening. It was fun and, just as importantly, I managed to pull out a pretty convincing win over the reigning champion. If it should be counted as such, it's my greatest achievement of the tournament. If only I'd had the 48 hours to help decide Angle's fate.

To me, being the violence loving man that I am, I'd have to go with the second fall of Taker and Foley in the I Quit match. That match is the epitome of being caught between a rock and a hard place. I still can't picture this match ending in any other way than one of them blacking out from the pain. I'd pay just about any amount of cash I had to see it. Such a classic idea.

Match of the tournament, Like Sam said, was Malenko Vs Kurt Angle. Out of all of them, This would be the one I ould most want to see, and this thing would defineately transcend Face/heel roles, becuase the crowd would just crazy mark out of respect.

Match of the tournament for me personally was Kurt Angle Vs Dusty Rhodes, as there was some fantastic debating and fact using in that one. minds were lost. fun times were had.

Gotta be Vader vs Savage.Although Vader lost it was close as hell.Everyone was on top of there game espesically IC25.I was checking back every 2 minutes to see what the score was!

There were so many good match ups in this tournament and it was a lot of fun to imagine what would have gone down: Randy Savage vs. Inoki, Dynamite Kid vs. DiBiase, Austin vs. Perfect, Shawn Michaels vs. Ultimo Dragon, etc.

I think the match of the tournament for me would have to be Vader vs. Savage. Not because I imagine it as a classic battle, but because of the heat and the debate behind it. I became more emotionally invested in that match and spent more time watching old videos because of it. Despite some generally knuckle-headed "this guy is good," "that guy is bad" type comments I thought people argued for their positions pretty reasonably. Good times. I can't wait for the women's tournament. Vote Manami Toyota!

Gotta be Vader vs Savage.Although Vader lost it was close as hell.Everyone was on top of there game espesically IC25.I was checking back every 2 minutes to see what the score was!

Thanks for the kind words, I tried to be ready. Anyway, I have been debating on this board since May 2007, and NEVER have I been even REMOTELY close to the level of passion and emotion I felt in the Vader vs Savage match. I still say Vader got robbed, but he lost to a man I respect in Savage.

To be SO CLOSE for SO LONG, only to see a last minute comeback for Savage, was huge. There were alliances on the boards. Bar Rom threads were created pitting the Vader supporters vs the Savage supporters. The campaign HQ's for both men were buzzing. Hell, for a bit, the Vader concession speech thread was more active that any other thread on the board! There is no question that Vader vs Savage wasthe highlight.

And I'd still pay to see Angle vs Malenko in a submission match everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back