Repost: Sam Points Out the Rules or At Least His Interpretation of Them

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
When asked how to decide a winner in this tournament, Shocky replied with:

Kayfabe/who you think was better.

Now, I got a little of mockery last tournament round for interpreting matches as a shoot contest. I in fact did not interpret them as a shoot contest, just a contest between how good two wrestlers were and who would beat who based on their style, history and accomplishments mixed in with a little common sense.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan on the "who you think was better" part, sort of vague, but I guess it kinda ties in and then there's the fact that it's Shocky who does all the hard work and not me.

Then there's my personal advice:

Do NOT decide on a vote because you're not aware of one wrestler.

We've had one case of this already. I'd personally recommend, just to make the tournament fairer, you skim through wrestlers' Wikipedia articles and watch about three or preferably more matches of theirs. YouTube is your friend.

Famously, I wasn't incredibly familiar with Kenta Kobashi. I headed to YT, assured that I'd find a treasure trove of classics. I picked five matches from various points in his long career, then an MV just to give me a bit of a summary. I returned, further educated, only to confess that I just didn't get the big deal.

In another case, I looked up some Dean Malenko matches after the man came up against my pick of the tournament, Kurt Angle. I'd largely ignored his matches so far, stopping only to read comments from the more aware. Having been largely protected from WCW I hadn't seen really any of Malenko's prominent matches, and I barely remembered his run in the WWF - even Perry Saturn and his mop seemed a more remarkable "Radical". What I discovered made me damn near denounce Angle (I actually did at one point) and add Malenko to my all-time personal favourites - number seven, I believe. If it had been anybody but Angle facing him in that match (an Ultimate Submission match, if I remember correctly) I would have damn well put them over. The results were criminal, Angle getting past Malenko relatively easily. Angle was then knocked out by RVD in the following round in an even bigger theft.

I think that's really it. You'll end up a bigger and better wrestling fan in the end as a reward for your effort. I thought I had something else to say. If I do, I'll just add it on here. Feel free to add your thoughts.

I used to be such a douche.

I'm going to have my say on this as well Sam. Whilst I am not known for liking reat wrestlers (see RTC avatar) I feel this tournament will be good to look at matches and see more about them. So there are a few things I am recommending;

1) The campaign HQs...go through and read them all, especially if you don't know about the wrestler. I hadn't watched much of Stings work but Monkey's thread has made me appreciate the wrestler.

2) Go Kayfabe. Will I be avoiding Benoit because of what happened with him? No! I will vote for him because I think he was a sound wrestler.

3) Research; Wikipedia and youtube are your friends, you can learn their history and see some good matches/promos by that wrestler.

I recommend you should do that before casting your vote and not just voting for people who you know and have seen before, but put effort in and research.

Lee

I'm sure that most know this already, but there are surely a select few who will overlook it. I've come to the conclusion that in years past, each match up is contested in a certain type of match. (Ladder, ironman, submission, hardcore, normal singles..) Please remember to take these into account. I'm sorry, but there isn't a chance that Edge beats Kurt Angle in an ultimate submission match.

Another example is there is no way Big show or Khali beats Shelton or HBK in a ladder match.

That may be, but outside of a ladder match, the odds even up for the big men. Will used the Ultimate X as an example, when explaining that AJ Styles would obviously have an advantage over Big Show.

In an Ultimate X match though, Big Show probably wouldn't need to use the X-ropes. He may be able to just stand there and pull the X down.

Matches like the Barbwire Match, or the TLC match really don't effect either side.

Speaking of the rules, I'm sure this is a simple answer, but I've scoured this tournaments' pages, and came up empty...How do I vote? I'm itching to!!

And I see no reason why Khali or Big Show couldnt beat Shelton or HBK in a ladder match...They wouldn't have to climb as high up on the ladder!

Dude, Gunz, you don't start voting on matches before there are even matches. Only 16 seeding rounds have been announced. There are 256 wrestlers in this thing, and nobody even has an opponent yet.

Shocky will post the match-ups, and you will debate each match and vote then. Single elimination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back