• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Royal Rumble 2014- Randy Orton (C) VS John Cena- WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
20131230_EP_LIGHT_RR-MATCHES_CENAORTON_C-HOMEPAGE.jpg

The match at TLC was good, but Orton and Cena never hit that epic level they we're hoping for. Unless I'm missing something, the only five star Orton/Cena match happened at Bragging Rights with the Iron Man a few years ago. Should be a good rematch between the two, but I'm not expecting anything extraordinary at the Rumble.

I had to delete the rest of what I had, because the Henry/Lesnar brawl happened, while I was typing this. Lesnar throwing his name in the hat as a potential challenger throws a monkey wrench into the title picture. MAYBE the Rumble winner uses his win to face the champion at Elimination Chamber (they did it with Cena/Orton in 2008 at No Way Out), and Lesnar goes on to face the Champion at Mania.

If that happens, then I have to believe WWE goes with Lesnar VS Cena at Mania for the title, and WWE could build up the storyline of Lesnar avenging a fluke loss to Cena at Extreme Rules 2012.

With Lesnar stepping into the picture, Randy Orton could be the odd man out, because I don't see the allure in an Orton VS Lesnar match, and Orton is the top heel in the company now.

But if Lesnar goes after the championship at WrestleMania, where does that leave 'Taker?

Hasn't the rumors that have been going around for months are that Brock will face Undertaker at 'Mania? I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between Cena and Brock, but Brock putting himself in contention for the title has everyone buzzing now as far as WrestleMania goes.

Maybe Lesnar will be involved in the WWE Title match, it could generate alot of buzz.

Brock Lesnar vs John Cena WWE World Title match Wrestlemania XXX. They are tied at 1-1 on PPV, so this could be the rubber match.

But if Lesnar goes after the championship at WrestleMania, where does that leave 'Taker?

That's another dilemma that popped into my head. The Undertaker needs a real threat as an opponent to end the streak at Mania. Brock Lesnar and John Cena are the only two names on the roster, who fit that mold. Orton? With the way his character is now, I can't see it. If WWE does a complete 180 from now to Mania by turning Orton into the merciless Viper again, then there's a slight chance it could work, but Orton is the whining bitch/coward now. And you have to overcome the hurdle of Taker beating Orton at Wrestlemania 21.

A lot could change between now, the Rumble, and Mania, but I'm still leaning towards Cena for the win at the Rumble, because Lesnar VS Orton creates too many problems for a number for reasons.

RANDY ORTON WINS. WWE already done this at tlc for only one reason, the authority storyline. Cena never be a authority champion. this match is not affected the wm matches. Right now we have too many wrestlers for title pictures. Cena, randy, brock, rr winner, ec winner, batista and sheamus involment. If randy loss the belt to cena then he is out of title picture and no more opponent to fight with him. So need to win the match bcoz cena has so many possibility match like against taker or triple threat championship or even fatal four way with randy, brock, rr winner cmpunk and ec winner cena.

This match is less interesting than the one that will follow it vs Brock Lesnar. I've never been a big fan of Cena vs Orton, I just don't feel they have ever clicked that well so at the very least them doing the match at the Rumble means it probably wont headline Mania.

As for who wins, I hope it's Cena as while I like Orton and would actually like to see him face Lesnar, I don't want him to headline Mania and if they don't get the belt off him at the Rumble then I fear he'll have until the granddaddy.

I wonder if Brock might come out directly after Cena beats Orton and beats him in an immediate title match, like they did with Batista in 2010.

Orton will surely win at RR. He wont drop it already makes no sense.

WM looks like
Batista vs Orton WWE title
Lesnar vs Taker
Cena and Hogan vs whoever tag team
HHH vs Punk
Bryan vs Mr leader of the sheep stable

Do not misunderstand me, I am a huge Cena fan, but this again??? It seems that the WWE is using the same stars repeatedly, almost to nauseating overexposure. How many times will we have to endure match combinations using Cena, Punk and Orton, with any other auxillary mid-card stars trying to be put over to the next level. They did it to Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio, and most recently, Daniel Bryan...raise them up for a fleeting moment, only to be buried into obscurity. I cry out for a legitimate alternative to the same stars taking turns holding the title...it is truly sickening, to be honest...build someone up, give them a good championship run against the top stars, and have them put him over for a time.

The match last month shouldn't have happened. Cena vs. Orton for the title unification should be happening at the Rumble which would give the promotion a boost going into Mania.

As it stands it's just a rematch in which it's hard to see a different outcome to the one that happened last month.

Lesnar throwing his hat into the title picture to be quite honest is something i never thought of. Definitely this could potentially leave Orton as the Odd man out,come WM time as Cena Vs Orton while a great feud never clicked to that epic level.. I think a Lesnar Vs Cena main event at WM will be a epic battle.. Lesnar could overcome his loss to Cena at ER in 2012. But where does that leave UT and Orton and Batista?? The only two opponents who Taker could face that are noteworthy are Cena and Brock..

You can build a feud between Orton and Batista,with Batista coming in as the face,but as i remember he didnt leave on good terms with the higher ups or the fans. The business has moved on without batista,so its going to be interesting to see how he is treated on his return Jan20th! Could they be setting up Taker for a triple threat at WM30 for the WWE WHC?? Let Cena and Lesnar do most of the damage and have Taker tombstone both of em and pin em both to become WWE WHC and continue the awesome streak?? That to me be an awesome WM moment

The following are my predictions.....:

John Cena defeats Randy Orton for the WWE World title, Batista wins The Royal Rumble the same night. The next night on Raw, Lesnar and Heyman come out and talk about how they announced that he would be the No.1 contender to the WWE World title. Cue Vince McMahon, Vince could then say that Lesnar has done nothing to "earn" a WWE World title shot and thus has to compete inside a traditional 6 man Elimination Chamber match. Brock Lesnar wins the EC match, inside the match would obviously see the WWE's top stars e.g. John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and possibly a member from The Shield or Bray Wyatt.

This officially sets up for Batista vs Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania, leaving Cena open to face The Undertaker. This is what I would personally like to see happen with the WWE World title picture and The Undertaker in the only match that makes sense at this point.

Royal Rumble Pre-Show Match

1. Erik Rowan and Luke Harper(The Wyatt Family) vs The Real Americans vs the Usos
#1 Contenders Match to face The Rhodes Brothers for WWE Tag Team Championship
All three of these teams have been putting on great matches vs each other so why not open the pre-show with a bang. I have the Wyatt Family winning the match to go on and battle Cody Rhodes and Goldust on the Main Card.
10 Minutes

Main Card

1. CM Punk vs The Shield
3 on 1 Handicap 2 Out of 3 Falls Match
Winner: CM Punk
16 Minutes

2. The Wyatt Family vs Cody Rhodes and Goldust
WWE Tag Team Championship Match
Winner: The Wyatt Family
The beginning of the road to Cody Rhodes vs Goldust
At Wrestlemania 30
9 Minutes

3. Brock Lesnar vs The Big Show
Last Man Standing Match
Winner: Brock Lesnar
15 Minutes

4. AJ Lee vs Tamina vs Natalya
Triple Threat Match
WWE Divas Championship
Winner: Natalya
6 Minutes

5. Randy Orton vs John Cena
WWE World Heavyweight Championship
Winner: John Cena via Disqualification
Randy Orton keeps The Championship
18 Minutes

Royal Rumble Match
Royal Rumble Winner: Daniel Bryan
55 Minutes

The way that this match was initially hyped last night, with the notion that it can only be won via pinfall or submission, without "interference" to see who comes out on top suggests that it's no disqualification. Now that hasn't been officially named as a stipulation, but what else are you supposed to take from only being able to win via pinfall or submission? We all know that the title can only change hands via pinfall or submission, but the way Stephanie phrased it made it seem like those are the only ways to win period.

It'll surprise me if Cena loses cleanly to Orton, which he technically did at TLC as anything goes basically, at the Rumble, but I he'll almost certainly lose.

I think Brock Lesnar will be to physical for Undertaker, he requires a match with a guy who can carry the brunt of the match, work a believable match yet go easy on the frail Undertaker. I have been saying all along that Undertaker vs Sheamus would be a solid Wrestlemania match up. I think Brock Lesnar will end up feuding with Randy Orton and John Cena vs Daniel Bryan. The Wyatt family issue has been brewing for weeks, if WWE are going to go with Cena vs Lesnar at Mania,I wouldnt have a problem with that, but I dont see Vinces biggest show ever habing a heel Lesnar leaving with the title. I see John Cena hands held high at the end of Wrestlemania 30.

Orton will definitely retain because I don't see them doing Cena vs Lesnar again. Orton has faced Lesnar only once and that was way back in 2002 when he was still a rookie and got squashed by Brock so an Orton/Brock feud would be more interesting. The lights may go off during their match which could leave Lesnar distracted and allow Orton to pick up the win and then we will find out it was Taker who caused the lights to go off because he wants revenge against Lesnar because he is the only superstar Taker has never beaten.

Well since it appears that Lesnar will be getting his shot at Elimination Chamber, I don't see a point in even bringing him up for RR or even WM. So, unlike everyone else, I won't.

I personally want to see Cena walk out as WWE Champion only for CM Punk to walk out of the Rumble as the winner. CM Punk and Cena have been the "go to match" for the WWE these past few years, and honestly it never gets old. It's always something that's worth watching and gets better each time they're in the ring together, and that's going all the way back to Cena vs. CM Punk when the Nexus first debuted on Raw. [That's where you sheep youtube it and find out that I'm right]

Then, I would have Hogan come out on a Raw and hype up John Cena. That would lead CM Punk to come out and say that Hogan was always a con-artist and that would lead to Hogan wanting to be in Cena's corner at Mania. And of course, never to be outdone, CM Punk would then go find the one man who, like himself, defeated WWE's poster child and enlist the help of The Ultimate Warrior as his manager for Mania.

To me, that's the best way to book WM 30. I mean, it's 30 years in the making and it would be ludicrous not to utilize two of the biggest names that cemented WM to help get over the two current guys of the WWE. Plus, it could help give the casual fans or older fans something to grab onto post Wrestlemania.

Brock was always wrestling The Rock at Mania 30, Undertaker vs Lesnar is only been internet speculation.
Brock Lesnar will wrestle Randy Orton in my opinion at Mania 30 after coming up short in his quest to be WWE Champion,
I see Sheamus returning, turning heel and challenging Undertaker at Mania 30

I would think Orton wins because his program with The Authority isn't finished....in fact, the Levesques' haven't even been around the last couple of weeks. They've been alternately building up and tearing down Randy, letting him know he's the corporate champion while seemingly trying to convince him he isn't good enough to merit the mantle. That program has to run it's course, probably culminating at WM30, unless it's determined by management that WWE has an overwhelming need for Randy to continue as world champion, in which case he'll retain in April.

Of course, what happens at the Rumble between Cena and Orton will help determine whether they're going to face each other at WM30 or not. My feeling at this point is that Randy keeps his title this month, causing Cena to move on to something else at 'Mania.

Given his lost to Kofi Kingston this past Monday on Raw, I think that WWE is going with the angle of Orton becoming unhinged, maybe a little paranoid. Sometimes, during their brief conversations, I get the notion that The Authority is being somewhat patronizing of Orton. You know, remaining all calm & rational all while maintaining something of a smarmy grin or facial expression, while Orton is practically foaming at the mouth. His frustrations will probably only continue to mount by next week. For instance, I imagine that Cena will get his hands on him this Monday, resulting in a wild brawl that could wind up dragging Batista into it as well as Brock Lesnar, maybe even CM Punk if The Authority is present in the ring.

I ultimately see Orton retaining at the Rumble, but will find his position as "the face" of WWE slipping away the closer we come to WrestleMania. The story could be that Orton gets the idea that The Authority is only using him while waiting for someone "better" to come along to take his spot as "the face" of WWE, whether it be Batista or whomever he ultimately goes up against at WrestleMania, where I think Orton drops the title.

since we all thought the swerve was coming at TLC with HHH getting involved, do you guys think there is any real chance that HHH could get involved in this match? or throw a curveball and enter the rumble at 30 and win it??

who knows..i think the Punk vs HHH rumored match for Mania should have the title involved.

with that being said, if the match ending of this goes down "cleanly", i think Orton retains, so that Cena is freed up to do the potential Hogan angle at Mania while Orton either faces Batista or Lesnar at Mania? or Possible drops at EC who knows.

Last year Mania was so predictable months before, this year im truly stumped

The possiblities are endless and unpredictable and thats not a bad thing, thats a good thing.

Lesnar has put himself in the Title hunt. He is also being booked to look really strong. Batista also looks like the favourite to win the Rumble.

Lesnar vs Cena for the title looks more likely than Lesnar vs Orton. And Batista vs Orton for the title looks more likely than Batista vs Cena.

The only way Lesnar isnt getting his hands on that title is through the Undertaker. He has beaten up Henry, will go over Big Show so maybe the next one to try and stop him will be The Deadman.

The only way Batista isn't getting his hands on that title is through Brock Lesnar. These two will come face to face at some stage and turn their intentions to one another. So where does that leave the title match?

I cannot see Daniel Bryan facing either Cena or Orton. He already beat Cena at Summerslam and surely wouldnt go over again. He has also fought many times with Orton. It also looks like CM Punk will have his hands tied with Triple H.

If WWE want to make a new star, than Bryan needs to win the title at Mania 30 where 70,000 people will shout 'YES' in unison. The issue is, who does he face!? I wonder if Lesnar will win the belt at EC and they will market it as David vs Goliath?

Here is why I think Orton will remain champ on Sunday. If Cena wins, Orton is going to get a rematch (elimination chamber???). What about the chamber match, what about Lesner? So that dosen't seem likely.

Second issue I see is how can Orton beat Cena clean 2 months in a row and keep Cena looking strong going in WM30?

This is screaming a screwy finish. Most likely Lesner interference causing a DQ or no contest something like that. Cena will have had his rematch and Lesner can step win (and lose) at chamber giving Orton title till Mania where he will face Batista. Maybe involve HHH in Orton's corner and Flair in the other? Evalution has Evolved.

The fact they keep going on about the only way to win being pinfall or submission but not actually making the match No DQ, No Count-out makes me think this will end with screwiness.

I'd love to see Batista screw over Cena the same night Triple H screws over Punk and reform Evolution, but I think Randy will lose by running away and getting counted out, thus Triple H sticks him in the Chamber to prevent him doing it again next month.

I'm not sure what the actual stats are on Cena losing to the same guy on back to back PPV's but I don't see it happening here, he'll be starting his momentum towards Mania.

Cena should emphatically not win the title before 'ManiaXXX, nor AT 'Mania. Cena should lose this match, clean. I don't think it will be clean, though, but Grandy Boreton gets the victory here.

20140102_EP_LIGHT_RR-MATCHES_ortoncena_C-homepage.jpg

This is one that I am looking forward to. The two biggest names of this era collide once again in a rematch from TLC for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. I'm finding it a bit difficult to predict who will win it. It really depends on who is going to win the Rumble and when Brock Lesnar will get his title shot. Would Brock VS Orton be as good as revisiting Brock VS Cena? Is a heel or a face winning the Royal Rumble match? Based off my predictions for who is going to win the Rumble itself, I'll go with Randy Orton ultimately retaining. They picked him to unify the belts instead of Cena, so they should stand by their decision and keep pushing him. Therefore a face needs to win the Rumble. The match itself should be alright. I think it to be overshadowed by the Royal Rumble match, but that is to be expected. Orton retains, but the show's namesake closes the show instead of this title match. They both move on begin feuding with their next opponents afterwards.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Randy Orton will retain the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back