Report: NBC Sweetening The Pot?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
The New York Daily Post put out a report today saying that NBC Universal is considering building a physical WWE Hall of Fame as part of the Universal Studios theme park in Orlando, Florida. This consideration is, reportedly, part of a sales pitch on behalf of NBC Universal to retain WWE Raw & SmackDown!.

The paper says that they haven't formally submitted their final proposal to WWE and their exclusive negotiating period with the company comes to a close at the end of next week. After that, WWE is free to start negotiating with anyone, but that doesn't mean that talks with NBC Universal will be finished. The Post reports that a source says that the construction of the WWE Hall of Fame is being viewed as "a deal sweetener."

There's been talk of building a physical hall of fame, serious talk that is, for the past couple of years. This could be the enticement WWE needs to sign another deal with NBC Universal. Year round, WWE programming is the most consistent draw on cable television.

I think it could work if it is part of a theme park like Universal Studios. I would have doubts for it being a commercial success on its own.

This is one of the biggest reasons why the WWE announced the WWE Network when they did. It gives them the ultimate leverage, even when they're negotiating exclusively with NBC. They don't have to even worry about finding other networks to bid against NBC, because they don't need a cable network at all. They have their own. I don't think it will happen right now, but I would not be surprised if Raw and Smackdown! were both on the WWE Network one day.

As for the physical Hall of Fame, I think that's a foregone conclusion. (Bruno Sammartino has long taken issue with the lack of a physical building for the HOF and I believe they promised him there would be one as part of their deal.) The only question is where. And I agree completely with what beckyh said. A standalone Hall of Fame building with nothing attached to it...I'm not sure how commercially viable that would be long term. But putting it in Universal Studios would really ease those concerns.

i would rather have the wwe hall of fame in downtown disney, as it has way more traffic than universal and its getting a huge redevelopment.

Daniel Bryan has undeniable charisma. It is on par with the Ultimate Warrior. But Daniel Bryan has one glaring smudge on his resume: SummerSlam 2013.

The show didn't draw. It was a relative dud. Not that it was the lowest drawing show of the year, but it fell way below expectations.

Putting Bryan in the WWE Title match at SummerSlam was a test of his drawing power. Bryan went up against WWE's top star, and the card was padded by a major CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar match. The arena fans went wild, but the WWE audience wasn't willing to open their pocketbooks for a Daniel Bryan main event.

It stinks. Some may argue it's unfair. But it's reality. Bryan has to rebuild his brand and work his way from the upper mid card to the upper echelon marquee.

If Daniel Bryan gets a massive reaction against Sheamus, and we hear 75,000+ fan chant "Yes", DB will rocket into a top spot. It will be out of WWE's hands. But if he main events, the crowd is more tepid than expected, and WrestleMania's numbers disappoint, Bryan will become a lifetime "featured attraction" rather than a top three main eventer.

WrestleMania will be full of draws, including The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Batista, Triple H, John Cena, and Sting (if the stars align). Wrestlers like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and Randy Orton are in a category all their own: great wrestlers who are a tier below the draws listed above. DB will need time to rise to the top. I for one hope he succeeds.

Putting it in Universal Studios is perhaps the best option. To those saying put it in Downtown Disney - no. With all the shit WWE gets for this "PG era", it would just add fuel to the fire. Plus I think more visitors to Universal Studios would be interested in this than Disney visitors. They're there for Mickey Mouse, not Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I like the idea of a physical Hall of Fame. You could do so much other than the statues. Including recognisable memorabilia, interactive spots and additional attractions is something that will make the place an instant draw. Hell, throw in a restaurant and you've got an audience. The WWE are looking in many areas to expand. This is one that could get people hooked.

If the WWE decide to put it in a stand alone location, it'll be gone quicker than it was built. Sure, WWE is one of the most popular organisations in the world, but the fans aren't just in the United States. It wouldn't be beneficial for WWE to do this as a solo project, they need some cooperation, and Universal may just be the perfect fit.

Daniel Bryan has undeniable charisma. It is on par with the Ultimate Warrior. But Daniel Bryan has one glaring smudge on his resume: SummerSlam 2013.

The show didn't draw. It was a relative dud. Not that it was the lowest drawing show of the year, but it fell way below expectations.

Putting Bryan in the WWE Title match at SummerSlam was a test of his drawing power. Bryan went up against WWE's top star, and the card was padded by a major CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar match. The arena fans went wild, but the WWE audience wasn't willing to open their pocketbooks for a Daniel Bryan main event.

It stinks. Some may argue it's unfair. But it's reality. Bryan has to rebuild his brand and work his way from the upper mid card to the upper echelon marquee.

If Daniel Bryan gets a massive reaction against Sheamus, and we hear 75,000+ fan chant "Yes", DB will rocket into a top spot. It will be out of WWE's hands. But if he main events, the crowd is more tepid than expected, and WrestleMania's numbers disappoint, Bryan will become a lifetime "featured attraction" rather than a top three main eventer.

WrestleMania will be full of draws, including The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Batista, Triple H, John Cena, and Sting (if the stars align). Wrestlers like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and Randy Orton are in a category all their own: great wrestlers who are a tier below the draws listed above. DB will need time to rise to the top. I for one hope he succeeds.

Yeah! Tell 'em Steve-Dave!

In all seriousness, a WWE Hall of Fame building would be great. I'd prefer for it to be near Stamford, but so long as there is one there isn't much to. On plain about.

I would without a doubt visit the WWE hall of fame. It would make a trip to Central Florida actually enticing. This seems like kind of a big deal because down the road I have to think the WWE plans to make the WWE network public and not a pay channel. There is WAY more money to be made by forcing all the cable conglomerates to carry their station (IE NFL network) as there is with a buy-rate. It takes out the uncertainty of a subscription service from year to year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back