Oy Vey, WrestleZone Tournament

Thought I made a reasonably decent post in the Cena/Taker debate, yet lost in amongst the pissing contest that's going on. Oy vey indeed.

So.... I think we could just post one video of Rock beating Cena at WM and leave it at that. Nothing further to discuss really. Saves time and gets the point across.

Rocky doesn't suck, but I think the fact that he already beat Cena once hurts his case. It's much more difficult to beat someone twice. How many times has Cena lost back-to-back to the same person?

The Cena win is undoubtedly Rock's best win. His wins against Austin and Hogan at 'Mania are nice, but neither of those guys were what they once were. Wins against Foley, Triple H, Angle, and Jericho don't hold a candle to Cena, either.

So in your opinion his most impressive match came past his prime... not sure how that plays into an advantage for Cena? Unless you're also under the impression that Rocks prime was a three month run in which half his appearances came via satellite.

The Cena win is undoubtedly Rock's best win. His wins against Austin and Hogan at 'Mania are nice, but neither of those guys were what they once were. Wins against Foley, Triple H, Angle, and Jericho don't hold a candle to Cena, either.

The Triple H win does, actually; the Foley won comes very close, too.

Everyone else? Yeah, not so much. Then again, I'm alllll about the business argument, so not like it matters to me

The Triple H win does, actually; the Foley won comes very close, too.

Everyone else? Yeah, not so much. Then again, I'm alllll about the business argument, so not like it matters to me

I don't know, man. Foley made a career out of losing to folks like Rocky. The matches were brutal, but they weren't defining moments. Triple H is a big name, but I'd argue that his greatest successes came after he and Rock had had their biggest encounters.

Good wins, but Cena's better.

I don't know, man. Foley made a career out of losing to folks like Rocky. The matches were brutal, but they weren't defining moments. Triple H is a big name, but I'd argue that his greatest successes came after he and Rock had had their biggest encounters.

Good wins, but Cena's better.

Pray tell; do say what Cena's biggest win is.... Are we in agreeance that it's Triple H, at Wrestlemania?

Triple H also had greater success in a very diluted market; he had the whole Evolution shtick when the brand extension was there and upheld. Triple H during the 2000 year, besides the Rock, was probably the new wrestler going in the business. In 2003? Good, but easily surpassed by Brock and Angle.

If I remember right, The Rock never beat super face HHH; only coward heel HHH. That's not the same as beating John Cena, especially on the biggest stage of them all, in his hometown, after a year worth of build.

Cena's best win is against Edge at Unforgiven 2006 because of the circumstances surrounding the match (setting, match type, etc.). His "biggest" win is against HBK at Wrestlemania 23.

Pray tell; do say what Cena's biggest win is.... Are we in agreeance that it's Triple H, at Wrestlemania?

Triple H also had greater success in a very diluted market; he had the whole Evolution shtick when the brand extension was there and upheld. Triple H during the 2000 year, besides the Rock, was probably the new wrestler going in the business. In 2003? Good, but easily surpassed by Brock and Angle.
Haitch, probably. Batista and HBK are up there.

I see what you're saying, but when would you argue HHH went through his prime? 2003 and onward? 2000? Looking at accomplishments (kayfabe), however diluted, has to give preference to '03 and on.

Haitch, probably. Batista and HBK are up there.

I see what you're saying, but when would you argue HHH went through his prime? 2003 and onward? 2000? Looking at accomplishments (kayfabe), however diluted, has to give preference to '03 and on.

I get that; I'm curious when that kayfabe run ends.

Those two wins are pretty nice, mainly because I'm a Baptista mark. But I also think the Shawn win is equitable to the Austin one; both far out of their prime, kayfabe wise, but still talented, and great names on the resume.

JMT, are we talking super face as in... DX era Triple H? I'm quite curious now

Did anyone ever beat Lou Thesz twice? It's hard to win rematches against the cream of the crop after you beat them once.

Almost nobody beat Thesz once, but almost all the guys who did get victories over him during his prime will have racked up more than one.

It's not really a fair comparison though; since in that era it wasn't uncommon to ship the same match to multiple territories. When Thesz was on leave from the armed forces he put over most top guys who weren't Buddy Rogers (who insisted on being a cunt) in multiple areas.

And of course there's Rikidozan. Thesz put him over twice as I recall.

JMT, are we talking super face as in... DX era Triple H? I'm quite curious now

I would say "prime" HHH is the 1999/2000 version as far as in-ring talent is concerned, but I think the hardest HHH to defeat was HHH after Wrestlemania 22. Outside of 'Taker, a couple of fluke wins from Jeff Hardy and Orton, that HHH dominated more so than any other since it was all done "cleanly."

Also, I just thought of the Triple threat match from Survivor Series a couple of years ago. Who else can say they beat both HHH and HBK at Wrestlemania, and also beat them in a Triple Threat match (let alone while they were apart of DX)? That's amazing. Has really nothing to do with what we're discussing, but I felt the need to point it out anyway, lol.

Almost nobody beat Thesz once, but almost all the guys who did get victories over him during his prime will have racked up more than one.

It's not really a fair comparison though; since in that era it wasn't uncommon to ship the same match to multiple territories. When Thesz was on leave from the armed forces he put over most top guys who weren't Buddy Rogers (who insisted on being a cunt) in multiple areas.

And of course there's Rikidozan. Thesz put him over twice as I recall.

I see what you're saying.

When you look at Cena though, it's really not that ridiculous to say it's damn near impossible to beat him in a rematch after you beat him the first time. I guarantee you that if Cena/Rock were booked for Summerslam, hardly anyone would believe the Rock would go over. I'm simply saying people should look at this tournament match the same way, lol.

It's looking like Rock vs Cena in the final. Rock should win, though it probably won't be a comfortable win. Although, if Cena had gone over the Rock this past Mania, he'd be the tourney winner.

Rock should win
Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

It just goes to show the incredible run Cena has had over the last several years. Cena has defeated HBK, Hulk Hogan and likely the Undertaker in the same IWC voted tournament. That's a VERY impressive resume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back