Official NCAA Sports Thread

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Usually there's an official thread for college football and an official thread for college basketball, however, considering the lack of activity in the Sports Stadium lately, I figured I would just make one thread encompassing all of college sports. The college football season is in full swing and practices for college basketball just started last week. Use this thread to discuss those and any other college sports you wish to talk about.

The big news today was USC firing Lane Kiffin. This needed to happen and I'm surprised it took this long. Kiffin is a good coordinator but he is not cut out to be a head coach at any level at this point in his career. He wasn't put in the best situation considering the sanctions against the school and all of the scholarships they lost, but the talent there is still better then the product that has been put out on the field the last couple years.

USC is still a hot spot for top recruits but they need to make sure they get a good hire. They need someone who can both handle the spotlight that is always on the school, and coach up the talent. A few candidates that come to mind are Jack Del Rio, Steve Sarkisian, and Kirby Smart.

Del Rio is the current Broncos D coordinator but he is a former All-American linebacker at USC. He has never coached at the college level but he would bring much needed toughness and discipline to the school. His NFL background would be a big plus in recruiting. Sarkisian is currently Pac 12 rival Washington's head coach but USC would be a step up. Sarkisian was an assistant under Pete Carroll at USC and coached their during USC's best offensive seasons. Kirby Smart is Alabama's D coordinator and while he has always been in SEC country, I think he would make a great head coach. He is young at 37 but has a lot of experience and I see him as the best assistant in college football today.

Kiffin is an idiot and the only surprise about his firing was that it was at the airport terminal. Honestly, he should of never left Tennessee. He was actually starting to build some momentum in recruiting before he headed over to USC. I don't think he was a great coach by any means, but he was playing with a pretty poor deck at USC. The scholarship restrictions really hurt the depth of the Trojans. They were still pulling a handful of 5 star recruits, but underneath that there roster was nothing special.

Michigan finally got on track this week with a blowout win over Minnesota. The Gophers kept it close for a while but their defense couldn't stop anything. For the first time in his college career as a starting qb, Devin Gardner had 0 turnovers. He wasn't perfect by any means but as long as he doesn't turn it over all the time he can be one of the best quarterbacks in college football. Devin Funchess had a breakout game but the O line and running game need to improve. On defense I was disappointed that they couldn't get off the field on third downs. Overall they were solid but that needs to improve. Getting Jake Ryan back in the next few weeks will be huge.

Good win for Mizzou today. I find it interesting how quickly two former Big 12 teams (A&M and Mizzou) have managed to be at the top of the supposedly great SEC. It's almost as if the SEC greatness was a myth perpetuated by media with interest in pushing the narrative of SEC greatness and that the SEC wasn't as great as we were supposed to believe.

You know, kind of like I said for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back