Pete Carroll LEAVING USC?

Stormtrooper

Championship Contender
ESPN.com said:
Seattle Seahawks coach Jim Mora has been fired, the first coach in team history to be let go after one season, and league sources say longtime USC coach Pete Carroll is being targeted as Mora's replacement.

Carroll did not return messages, but a league source said Carroll is interested in the job and is trying to persuade USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to join him in Seattle -- as opposed to Bates pursuing the same position with the Chicago Bears.

Said another source close to Carroll: "You're about to see a big headline that shakes up the major college football word," in reference to the Seahawks' development. The Seahawks did not confirm Carroll as a leading candidate but also did not deny it.

Click here to go to the full ESPN.com story

If the story is true, then Pete Carroll should rethink this, for many reasons.

1. He is a top head coach in college football, winning 2 consecutive National Championships a few years back. In 4 seasons as head coach in the NFL (1 with the Jets, 3 with the Patriots), he was only 33-31, with 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff victory. He tried and failed twice, why would he go back again?

2. USC is a young team that is only going to get better. They played pretty well with a freshman QB, and have talent around him that could make USC a top team again pretty soon. The Seattle Seahawks were 5-11 this season, with an old QB, no running backs, and no receivers.

3. He would be leaving LA, where he is revered as the man who brought USC 2 consecutive titles) for Seattle (where he would start all over). Why would he want to move from being loved in LA to being the new guy in Seattle?

Am I the only one who thinks this would be a bad idea for Pete Carroll?

How did he fail twice? He had a winning record as a head coach in the NFL. He is going to be in a situation where he is both the head coach and the final authority in all football operations. Furthermore, he's going to get A LOT of money.

What's left for him to do in college? If he really likes mentoring and shaping young people, then he should stay. But I think Carroll is a guy who likes a challenge, and while it would be weird to seem in not clad in Trojan garb, it seems like it would be a good move to coach the Seahawks.

I think this is a good move for Carroll. Plus couldn't USC be in some trouble with some past allegations and such. Something must be going on and Carroll is getting out of there ASAP. I think being in the college ranks will help Carroll and he should do a decent job in Seattle. They have some good talent, but definitely need some upgrades if they wanna compete with SF and Zona.

1. He is a top head coach in college football, winning 2 consecutive National Championships a few years back. In 4 seasons as head coach in the NFL (1 with the Jets, 3 with the Patriots), he was only 33-31, with 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff victory. He tried and failed twice, why would he go back again?

33-31 with 2 playoff appearances in 4 years really isn't that bad. He was only given one season with the Jets and the Patriots owner Robert Kraft said that firing Carroll was one of the toughest decisions he ever had to make.

2. USC is a young team that is only going to get better. They played pretty well with a freshman QB, and have talent around him that could make USC a top team again pretty soon. The Seattle Seahawks were 5-11 this season, with an old QB, no running backs, and no receivers.

Everyone knows that USC will most likely go back to being a national powerhouse in a year or two. Carroll has done everything he can in college football and he's the type of guy who is always looking for new challenges.

3. He would be leaving LA, where he is revered as the man who brought USC 2 consecutive titles) for Seattle (where he would start all over). Why would he want to move from being loved in LA to being the new guy in Seattle?

Again Pete Carroll likes a challenge. I really could care less either way if he stays at USC or goes to the NFL, but with his personality I just don't see Carroll staying at USC forever. Even if he does fail in the NFL there is always going to be a long list of major college football programs that will be waiting to hire him.

It's a good move for Seattle, but a bad move for Carroll. They had success with Holmgren making every decision, so handing Carroll the reins is nothing.

I'm concerned that he's going to struggle often and early, mostly because this team is in shambles. They draft 6th this year, and can take pretty much anyone available at that point. There's needs across the board, and in the depth chart, and a horrible season is to be expected.

As the head coach, he'll take the brunt of the abuse, and it will be holdover from problems Seattle had last year. If they don't get it turned around within a few short seasons, his coaching future in Seattle will definitely be in jeopardy, and who knows what the options will be in the NFL.

He can always go back to the college ranks, but there's no guarantee they'll want him at that point either.

I guess it is a okay move for Carroll and the Seahawks. He wasn't that spectacular his first time in the NFL and Seattle has some pieces there so I predict he will be around 8-8 or 9-7 his first few seasons. If it doesn't go well, I can see him going back to college football within five years.

I guess its an okay thing for Carroll to do too. Plus people said he did pretty good before in the NFL and was not given a longer chance to succeed. So maybe he might make the Seahawks a Super Bowl contender again who knows. I hope he succeeds in Seattle, he is a great all around football coach.

I can see people are ripping me a bit for saying that it isn't a good move. With the Jets, he was 6-10, but started 6-5 before losing the last 5 games of the season. After getting his second head coaching job with New England, he went 10-6 (1st in division), 9-7 (4th in division), then 8-8 (tied for last in division). He has never shown improvement as an NFL coach. That's why I don't think it's a good move for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back