[OFFICIAL] Lots of BULLSHIT Thread

You must understand I only ask because I have been brought up in Hinduism. Which explains how reincarnation is as scientific as anything. Care for me to explain more, or are you calling it a night?

Pick up some Dawkins and get a proper education instead of all this superstitious hooey, you mouthbreathers.

Pick up some Dawkins and get a proper education instead of all this superstitious hooey, you mouthbreathers.

:rolleyes:

That's my reaction to Dawkins and the New Atheists. "Religion causes so many wars and there's no scientific backing and wah wah wah wah." All that is true. However, reframed, peaceful religious practice does not cause war. Also, the new atheists ain't got DICK on Joseph Campbell, bra.

:rolleyes:

That's my reaction to Dawkins and the New Atheists. "Religion causes so many wars and there's no scientific backing and wah wah wah wah." All that is true. However, reframed, peaceful religious practice does not cause war. Also, the new atheists ain't got DICK on Joseph Campbell, bra.

Even if every religious person on the planet was a practitioner of peaceful religion, which is far from true, they'd still be deluding themselves.

billy-mays-in-heaven.jpg

There's no scientific evidence for the existence of a deity of any sort. Furthermore, there is nothing known about the universe that demands the existence of one. In fact, the existence of a deity raises more questions than it would solve; Occam's razor therefore tells us that the existence of one is rather unlikely.

It's not impossible, but is A) completely unproven and B) rather improbable. Therefore, belief in the existence of a deity of any sort is intellectually unsound.

A rapid summary of the arguments of Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, so on.

There's no scientific evidence for the existence of a deity of any sort. Furthermore, there is nothing known about the universe that demands the existence of one. In fact, the existence of a deity raises more questions than it would solve; Occam's razor therefore tells us that the existence of one is rather unlikely.

It's not impossible, but is A) completely unproven and B) rather improbable. Therefore, belief in the existence of a deity of any sort is intellectually unsound.

A rapid summary of the arguments of Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, so on.

Unlikely based on a particular set of measuring criteria that have diddly to do with myth studies, broski. And how in the hell would meaning be calculated by scientific means? And meaning, which is at the core of religion, is rarely defined using intellect.

Ricky 1, Harthan -3

Unlikely based on a particular set of measuring criteria that have diddly to do with myth studies, broski. And how in the hell would meaning be calculated by scientific means? And meaning, which is at the core of religion, is rarely defined using intellect.

Ricky 1, Harthan -3

I literally have no idea what you're going on about, and I suspect it's because we've been talking about two things entirely.

I'll chalk it up to my superior intellect and copious amount of THC in my bloodstream, then.

Wait but there are evidence of proof of Hindu deities in human form?

I've got to hear this one.

Really? You do? Or is it just gonna be a 'practical' minded skeptical view where you will discredit wall paintings, sculptures from VARIOUS parts of Hindustan and with a drowned Kingdom that was described in the carvings and texts later then found later by a Nat Geo expedition?

Ricky 1, Harthan -3

Statistics. Or possibly some higher form of maths I don't even want to think about. With enough maths, anything is possible.

Also, Harthan please shut up. This "I am right, you are wrong" attitude is why a lot of people think us atheists are *****.

Really? You do? Or is it just gonna be a 'practical' minded skeptical view where you will discredit wall paintings, sculptures from VARIOUS parts of Hindustan and with a drowned Kingdom that was described in the carvings and texts later then found later by a Nat Geo expedition?

You're marginally less coherent than a six year old child that's gone without his dose of Ritalin for the day.

Statistics. Or possibly some higher form of maths I don't even want to think about. With enough maths, anything is possible.

Also, Harthan please shut up. This "I am right, you are wrong" attitude is why a lot of people think us atheists are *****.

Come on, it's the bar, the thread is explicitly titled for bullshit, and sleep derived and have imbibed copious amount of marijuana. Let's have some fun.

You really should young'un.

Too bad noone else is on here. I have an excellent question about Backlash 2005's Hogan/HBK tag match.

Really? You do? Or is it just gonna be a 'practical' minded skeptical view where you will discredit wall paintings,

Like those found on churches and caves the world over?

sculptures from VARIOUS parts of Hindustan

Like those found all over the Europe, North Africa and Asia Minor? The only difference between Hinduism and any other religion of comparable age is that it survived to this day (and no, that's not proof that it's right. It's proof that nobody forcibly converted the population to another religion causing the old rites to die).

and with a drowned Kingdom that was described in the carvings and texts later then found later by a Nat Geo expedition?

You'd be surprised how often drowned cities or watery deaths of entire populations crop up in mythology. Atlantis, the lost continent of Mu, the drowned kingdom you just mentioned, One of the cycles of distruction for the Mayans/Aztecs (one of the two) was a great flood, Noah's flood. And that's just off the top of my head.

Well here's the thing Kotre. I get everything you are saying. I get how you say drowned cities can be built up as myths, but the main scripture not only details that city but various other cities that still exist. I will lose to you if you ask me for a bloodline. But if you have gone through the Gita, Ramayan or Mahabharat this conversation would be easier.

Not that I'm calling you ignorant. Because if you had read those books I could give specific details and it wouldn't require me to spend a lot of time explaining you the back drop and incidents leading up to it.

Well here's the thing Kotre. I get everything you are saying. I get how you say drowned cities can be built up as myths, but the main scripture not only details that city but various other cities that still exist. I will lose to you if you ask me for a bloodline. But if you have gone through the Gita, Ramayan or Mahabharat this conversation would be easier.

Not that I'm calling you ignorant. Because if you had read those books I could give specific details and it wouldn't require me to spend a lot of time explaining you the back drop and incidents leading up to it.

There are books that claim the Hebrew version of the old testament is like a giant word search that can predict the future... Seriously, it's called the bible code. I haven't read it but I did attempt to read the sequels (yes that's right, there'snot only a bible code. But there's a bible code 2: Bible harder) if you can get through it without hearing dramatic music at the end of every full stop you're a better man than I.

Scripture is ultimately meaningless, or rather it holds about as much meaning as the writings of Aesop. The bible was compiled by the Romans, who thought that unifying under one god was better than the different gods for everything they had at the time. Add to that the fact that pretty much every religion is in some form worshipping the sun (which makes sense if you think about it in terms of what people were doing 2,000+ years ago) and you can quite easily ignore or write off almost every bit of religious text there is.

Personally I'm agnostic. In my opinion it's the scientists view. To prove of disprove a deity of any kind is impossible. Some Christians believe that they have proof god exists (intelligent design etc). Rational minds know this to be incorrect and similarly outright saying that one is so ridiculously unlikely there's no point are clearly ignoring the fact that the earth itself is equally, if not more unlikely than there being a god. Dawkins is a phenomenally intelligent man who had to ridicule "god" to convince people of his argument. Atheists are not helped by that. Rational discourse is the way forward, but rational conversation about religion is nearly impossible.

That it might be truth without literally being true? Tis the power of myth, my friend. Check out the works of Joseph Campbell. Star Wars is based off of his theories.

And furthermore, who's to say whether or not Jesus was literally sent by God specifically to die and so on and so forth? None of us know, and it doesn't seem like any of us will be finding out any time soon. Most theories of atonement and whatnot did not come until far after the Gospels were written.

Keep in mind when reading the New Testament...each book has an agenda. Most of the books attempt to forward the Jesus Movement through ministry to the Gentiles. And they all thought the world was going to end really soon. That's why there's all this urgency and black and white kind of ethics.

I got his book, Hero with 1000 Faces for my dissertation at Uni last year. Some of it I didn't quite get but I think that's because I was skipping through it to find the most relevant pieces to use.

Interesting that you bring up Star Wars too, as I was largely studying the Samurai works of Akira Kurosawa for the dissertation and it was one of his films (The Hidden Fortress) that also inspired Lucas to make Star Wars.

Also, have you read any of Roland Barthes' material about myth? Some interesting stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back