Of Muscles and Men: The Rob Terry Story

gd

Plump, Juicy User
So, as some of you may know, I've been a big supporter of Rob Terry ever since he debuted in TNA. My thread "Why do you hate Rob Terry?" was a big success. Despite not doing anything completely horrible, people continually shit on Terry for being the worst wrestler of all time.

Fast forward a few months, and Rob Terry is Global Champion. He finally stood up to that dick Magnus and even won a match against Mr. Anderson, who is supposed to be the next rising star in TNA. He's still as muscular and as oily as ever.

It appears as if TNA is about to actually give Terry a somewhat serious push here, or so it seems. They have been known do just drop angles out of nowhere (Suicide), but I have a feeling they may actually make something of Terry.

So, what do you think of the ensuing Rob Terry push? Obviously, I think it's awesome. Sure, he may be a little limited in the ring, but he easily can become TNA's answer to Batista, maybe even better because of the cool accent.

Your thoughts?

He's never once interested me. Not only is he worthless in the ring, but he has no character. (Unless turning your head to the side and gurning constitutes charisma)

So if they're giving him a push, as a FACE no less, I for one will be skipping it.

And no matter how much he prays at the church of St. Eroids, he still has the hairstyle and face of a 15 year old emochav.

He's never once interested me. Not only is he worthless in the ring, but he has no character. (Unless turning your head to the side and gurning constitutes charisma)
So if they're giving him a push, as a FACE no less, I for one will be skipping it.

And no matter how much he prays at the church of St. Eroids, he still has the hairstyle and face of a 15 year old emochav.

No gimmick? What do you think him screwing up everything was about? His gimmick is that of a big guy that screws up. He gets pretty big pops, though TNA fans would pop for a piece of shit.:shrug:

I'm down for Rob Terry getting a little shove. I say that because I'm not sure it's a push, but more so TNA trying to allow Terry to gain more confidence. Because the guy looks like a millions bucks, and it's not hard for a guy his size to become a decent power wrestler. The prime example is Batista, who I think is actually decent in the ring and uses his body to his advantage.

I'd like to see Terry stick with TNA for a while because of his size, look, and potential. You can only have so many 100lb X Division guys before fans look at TNA, then look at WWE, and think "WWE guys would crush those tiny TNA men". If Terry wasn't in TNA I have no doubt he'd be in FCW being groomed to become a world champion.

I don't understand what's their to hate about Terry, and I also don't try to understand because when it comes to fans online, they don't know a quarter of what they think they know about what's good for a wrestler/wrestling.

Reactions: gd
The guy's a generic musclehead. That's all he is...just like Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, Bobby Lashley, Batista, and now, Rob Terry. He's all looks but zero talent.

You gotta think that Hulk Hogan is the one who's been supporting this guy. When Rob Terry first debuted, TNA wasn't interested in him but ever since Hulk Hogan's been around, Rob Terry has been getting pushed. And you know how Hulk Hogan has that "Vince McMahon fetish" for big guys :icon_rolleyes:.

Rob Terry only does ONE MOVE in his matches. Whether it's a tag team or singles match, he's shows he has no kind of ring skills so I don't know how you can be a fan of his. I have no idea..

The guy's a generic musclehead. That's all he is...just like Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, Bobby Lashley, Batista, and now, Rob Terry. He's all looks but zero talent.

You gotta think that Hulk Hogan is the one who's been supporting this guy. When Rob Terry first debuted, TNA wasn't interested in him but ever since Hulk Hogan's been around, Rob Terry has been getting pushed. And you know how Hulk Hogan has that "Vince McMahon fetish" for big guys :icon_rolleyes:.

Rob Terry only does ONE MOVE. Whether it's a tag team or singles match, he's shows he has no kind of ring skills so I don't know how you can be a fan of his. I have no idea..

Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, and Batista all had no talent? I suppose that lack of talent is the reason Goldberg and Brock are two of the most popular wrestlers in the history of wrestling, and there's a great chance that Batista will be in that circle when he's done. Bobby Lashley would probably be WWE Champion right now if he didn't quit the company.

I get that you want to make your point that you don't think Rob Terry has any talent or a chance to become a star, but you used horrible examples to try and prove that point. Because by your example, Rob Terry is going to go on to become a legend.

I am right there with you Nephew, I am also a supporter of Rob Terry but I was not always a supporter of his. When he first came to TNA I was like most people and said here is another big guy who can't do much but then I said screw it, I am going to do a little research on him and give him a chance.

I watched him for a few weeks and started to get used to him and looked up some of his matches on you tube from ACW and the matches were not good and he was really raw but he carries himself really well in the ring and knows how to play the crowd. I saw him wrestle on a webmatch against Kip James a while back and by no means was it a great match but it showed me that ROB TERRY DOES HAVE TALENT. Hell he even through a jumping spin kick which amazed me for a guy of his size and mass to get up that high on Kip James who is legit 6'3" or taller. He delivers good punches and clotheslines and seems to take moves well and has a small repertoire of "POWER GUY" moves and some freakish athletic ability.

Terry just looks like a star and that is alot of what TNA misses sometimes "a holy shit who is this guy" type of guy. He stands out and if people are just flipping through the channels you are going to stop and see what the hell is going on with this guy and he is the type to be walking through and airport and people will be amazed by the guy and TNA needs those types of guys. Also he is a good looking dude and some chicks go for that type of guy and TNA need to draw women to the show.

From what I have heard him "talk" on screen he seems as if he has a pretty thick accent but seems really really comfortable in the ring and talking.

I really think he could be a star if TNA limits his exposure and is given time to build himself up and his confidence. And by the reactions the crowds are giving him in the last little bit, I think "face" is the way to go with him and let him be like a super-power guy and that way he will not be exposed to much.

I would love to see a feud between Terry and Magnus with looks like it is happening.

I like the fact that he has new ring entrance music for his new face persona and if TNA would work with him on some sort of entrance garb or maybe a manager that would be great. I always thought of having Scott Steiner manage him and "train" with him and kinda take him under his wing a bit but Scott is out of TNA now so that really is not possible.

TNA has a draw in Rob Terry but the question is can they nourish that draw and turn him around the corner so to speak?

People think they know everything and will put down others without even taking time to actually study the guy and give him a chance. Every one else says he sucks so it must be true? Ain't that right?

I am not totally convinced that he is on steroids like many others are but eve if he is, hypothetically, you are telling me that HHH, John Cena and Batista are not? And don't give me this crap about WWE's drug policy cause WWE's drug policy is if you are a main star and you get caught doing steroids then you can have a month or two off and come right back.

Hell ROB TERRY is already more interesting than Batista, even thought that is not much of a feat.

Reactions: gd
Poɘt;1849450 said:
If Terry wasn't in TNA I have no doubt he'd be in FCW being groomed to become a world champion.

Not really.... He was already in FCW and was released. That's why a lot of people were shocked; something had to be wrong, knowing Vince's infatuation with muscle-bound brutes, why was he was released? He has the reputation of being clueless in the ring. But, he has been working and has shown that he willing to learn. So, if TNA wants to mold him into a Batista-like character, I'm fine. Hopefully he will be better than Batista.

Poɘt;1849493 said:
Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, and Batista all had no talent? I suppose that lack of talent is the reason Goldberg and Brock are two of the most popular wrestlers in the history of wrestling, and there's a great chance that Batista will be in that circle when he's done. Bobby Lashley would probably be WWE Champion right now if he didn't quit the company.

I get that you want to make your point that you don't think Rob Terry has any talent or a chance to become a star, but you used horrible examples to try and prove that point. Because by your example, Rob Terry is going to go on to become a legend.

Before you wish upon a star that Rob Terry becomes a "legend" because of what I said, I was NOT talking about Rob Terry becoming a star or not, I was questioning his ring skills.

Brock Lesnar was definitely the most talented in the ring out of those guys but he had terrible mic skills.

Goldberg was only good with power moves. Nice :rolleyes:

Bobby Lashley...forget it. He was decent in the ring. That's all I can say.

And Batista. HAH!...The "Next Ultimate Warrior" is just that. Intense and with no talent.

So what does Rob Terry have in common with these guys? I guess I just explained it....and Rob Terry is going to become a legend for what I said. Give me a break...

Before you wish upon a star that Rob Terry becomes a "legend" because of what I said, I was NOT talking about Rob Terry becoming a star or not, I was questioning his ring skills.

Brock Lesnar was definitely the most talented in the ring out of those guys but he had terrible mic skills.

Goldberg was only good with power moves. Nice :rolleyes:

Bobby Lashley...forget it. He was decent in the ring. That's all I can say.

And Batista. HAH!...The "Next Ultimate Warrior" is just that. Intense and with no talent.

So what does Rob Terry have in common with these guys? I guess I just explained it....and Rob Terry is going to become a legend for what I said. Give me a break...

While your right about what was the strong point for those characters, you cannot deny their place in history. So as was said, using Goldberg who had a phenomonal impact on the business especially is a bad example if your trying to put Rob Terry down.

Anyone who has any kind of job will know what its like to want to prove yourself and be given a chance to succeed in it. Just because he is big and muscly and doesn't wrestle like Ricky Steamboat doesn't make him useless.

While this guy isn't Goldberg or Lesnar or Batista, he should be and it will continue to be the case, be given a chance to make something of himself in the TNA ring.

Can't help but notice he looks like a typical Euro boy just you know...800 lbs haha

I am right there with you Nephew, I am also a supporter of Rob Terry but I was not always a supporter of his. When he first came to TNA I was like most people and said here is another big guy who can't do much but then I said screw it, I am going to do a little research on him and give him a chance.

I watched him for a few weeks and started to get used to him and looked up some of his matches on you tube from ACW and the matches were not good and he was really raw but he carries himself really well in the ring and knows how to play the crowd. I saw him wrestle on a webmatch against Kip James a while back and by no means was it a great match but it showed me that ROB TERRY DOES HAVE TALENT. Hell he even through a jumping spin kick which amazed me for a guy of his size and mass to get up that high on Kip James who is legit 6'3" or taller. He delivers good punches and clotheslines and seems to take moves well and has a small repertoire of "POWER GUY" moves and some freakish athletic ability.

Terry just looks like a star and that is alot of what TNA misses sometimes "a holy shit who is this guy" type of guy. He stands out and if people are just flipping through the channels you are going to stop and see what the hell is going on with this guy and he is the type to be walking through and airport and people will be amazed by the guy and TNA needs those types of guys. Also he is a good looking dude and some chicks go for that type of guy and TNA need to draw women to the show.

From what I have heard him "talk" on screen he seems as if he has a pretty thick accent but seems really really comfortable in the ring and talking.

I really think he could be a star if TNA limits his exposure and is given time to build himself up and his confidence. And by the reactions the crowds are giving him in the last little bit, I think "face" is the way to go with him and let him be like a super-power guy and that way he will not be exposed to much.

I would love to see a feud between Terry and Magnus with looks like it is happening.

I like the fact that he has new ring entrance music for his new face persona and if TNA would work with him on some sort of entrance garb or maybe a manager that would be great. I always thought of having Scott Steiner manage him and "train" with him and kinda take him under his wing a bit but Scott is out of TNA now so that really is not possible.

TNA has a draw in Rob Terry but the question is can they nourish that draw and turn him around the corner so to speak?

People think they know everything and will put down others without even taking time to actually study the guy and give him a chance. Every one else says he sucks so it must be true? Ain't that right?

I am not totally convinced that he is on steroids like many others are but eve if he is, hypothetically, you are telling me that HHH, John Cena and Batista are not? And don't give me this crap about WWE's drug policy cause WWE's drug policy is if you are a main star and you get caught doing steroids then you can have a month or two off and come right back.

Hell ROB TERRY is already more interesting than Batista, even thought that is not much of a feat.

How does Rob Terry look like a star? The only thing he has is a roided up body; is that what makes a star? I thought TNA was suppose to be an alternative to WWE, why are they doing everything just like them? The second TNA is noticed as more then a small time promotion and forced to actually implement a drug policy, Rob Terry's the first guy fucked.

I find it ridiculous that because this guy's got a genetically altered body that people can justify him being pushed, when he has no talent whatsoever, he has no ability to talk, he doesn't even have charisma. People can slam Batista all they want for what he lacks compared to others, but then why at the same time do they make excuses for someone who has even less talent? TNA fans are so entirely hypocritical it's not funny. At least Batista has charisma, the fans care about him... anyone who says the fans care about Rob Terry obviously hasn't been paying attention to the crowds in the small time Impact zone who sit there and just stare, not reacting at all. A mediocre reaction from the Impact zone is about the same as a lower card's reaction in the WWE. That's not good.

There are so many more talented people in TNA who could be pushed with the Global championship over Rob Terry and actually deserve it, and it's sad that he's being pushed just because he's roided up. If this was a WWE talent TNA fans would be crying and moaning about it, and yet TNA fans are doing everything to justify Terry instead. Unbelievable.

How does Rob Terry look like a star? The only thing he has is a roided up body; is that what makes a star? I thought TNA was suppose to be an alternative to WWE, why are they doing everything just like them? The second TNA is noticed as more then a small time promotion and forced to actually implement a drug policy, Rob Terry's the first guy fucked.

I find it ridiculous that because this guy's got a genetically altered body that people can justify him being pushed, when he has no talent whatsoever, he has no ability to talk, he doesn't even have charisma. People can slam Batista all they want for what he lacks compared to others, but then why at the same time do they make excuses for someone who has even less talent? TNA fans are so entirely hypocritical it's not funny. At least Batista has charisma, the fans care about him... anyone who says the fans care about Rob Terry obviously hasn't been paying attention to the crowds in the small time Impact zone who sit there and just stare, not reacting at all. A mediocre reaction from the Impact zone is about the same as a lower card's reaction in the WWE. That's not good.

There are so many more talented people in TNA who could be pushed with the Global championship over Rob Terry and actually deserve it, and it's sad that he's being pushed just because he's roided up. If this was a WWE talent TNA fans would be crying and moaning about it, and yet TNA fans are doing everything to justify Terry instead. Unbelievable.

So Batista, HHH, and Cena are not on steroids? HAHA

Anyway, no one really knows what Rob Terry can do cause he has not even had the chance. He is working hard learning to wrestle and stands out in a crowd and in TNA.

He has a great look, if he can turn a corner, he could be a great guy for TNA to build around, so what the hell is the problem with that?

He has not failed a drug test yet has he? And he is in Body building competitions all the time.

While your right about what was the strong point for those characters, you cannot deny their place in history. So as was said, using Goldberg who had a phenomonal impact on the business especially is a bad example if your trying to put Rob Terry down.

Anyone who has any kind of job will know what its like to want to prove yourself and be given a chance to succeed in it. Just because he is big and muscly and doesn't wrestle like Ricky Steamboat doesn't make him useless.

While this guy isn't Goldberg or Lesnar or Batista, he should be and it will continue to be the case, be given a chance to make something of himself in the TNA ring.

Can't help but notice he looks like a typical Euro boy just you know...800 lbs haha

I mean I understand that there's a such thing called growth but then again he left developmental too early. And now since TNA doesn't have a developmental system, We have to see Rob Terry act like he's in one, which sucks for both of us and him.

So while I think he has a LONG way to go, I'll give him a chance. And it is too early for him to be Global Champ but you know what they say: "You gotta send 'em happy"...

I for one do not mind Big Rob, yeah he needs work in the ring, but hey WWE let Shemus win the title. So Big rob having the global title is not as bad. I would much rather watch Big Rob than shemus. but again he does need work in the ring. Hopefully he works on it to help further his career

If people tuned into pro wrestling to see oiled up bodybuilders, than the WBF would still be alive and well. Physique alone isn't going to make or break Rob Terry, and he shouldn't be given titles based solely on his build.

Of the 'body builder' wrestlers that have come before, others have mentioned Goldberg, Lesnar, and Batista, and I will agree that those three were success stories. Neither achieved the status or longevity of smaller men like Shawn Michael's, Bret Hart, Sting, Ric Flair, etc, but all three were still very successful. However, a body builders physique leading to success in pro wrestling is far from a given. Many big guys (Ahmed Johnson, Nathan Jones, Warrior, Lesnar, etc) are pushed to the moon, only to leave the sport within a matter of years. Many others just stay in the mid-card, such as Chris Masters or Scott Norton. In Rob Terry's case, the only thing I even know about him is that he's built. He's barely spoken a word or wrestled a match in all the time he's been with TNA. How you can be a 'fan' of his is beyond me. You might as well be a fan of the time keeper, for as much as we know of Rob's abilities.

Still, I'm all for giving the guy a chance. Batista was useless when he first debuted, and I'll agree that he has actually become a good in-ring worker. And I never would have believed Matt Morgan capable of becoming a solid worker, yet here we are. At the very least, Rob's push in TNA has been handled brilliantly. While he himself didn't actually do much other than stand there and get insulted by Magnus and Williams, the end result is impressive. Terry couldn't get near the Impact Zone a few months ago without being bombarded with 'you can't wrestle' chants, and now the same fans are actually cheering for him. That's a feat in and of itself. And while I don't believe that TNA should put too much faith in the ability of Rob's muscles alone to draw, I will admit that he has the 'look' that promoters like Vince Mcmahon have long found desirable for their champions.

In short, I won't be joining the Rob Terry fan-club just yet, but nor will I condemn the guy. We simply haven't seen enough of what he can do to make any conclusions as of yet. But given that, I don't think he's the right man to be holding the Global Championship. He should at least get a solid singles feud under his belt before having gold handed to him.

I still don't think he's that great, and the fact that he defeated Anderson might have been more about making him look good because he's a champion, and less about Terry himself. Then again, TNA gave him the Global Championship so they must see something in the guy. GD might be right about Terry being TNA's answer to Batista.... he'll never be as big a star as Batista in my opinion, but I can see Terry becoming a British version of Batista. I wouldn't be surprised if TNA begin to push him then suddenly "forget" about him though. Out of all the three guys from The British Invasion, I still think Magnus will be the one who gets the big push in the end. I hope Terry at least gets a good title reign because he is the Global Champion and does deserve a decent push, otherwise they wasted time in making him a champion.

I was just thinking the same thing as the OP yesterday. I can seriously see Rob Terry as a main eventer down the line. He has the look of course but ever since he turned on the British Invasion.. i dunno how to explain it but he seems like he can be a legit badass big man.

Im definitely looking forward to more of Rob Terry in the near future.

I was just thinking the same thing as the OP yesterday. I can seriously see Rob Terry as a main eventer down the line. He has the look of course but ever since he turned on the British Invasion.. i dunno how to explain it but he seems like he can be a legit badass big man.

Im definitely looking forward to more of Rob Terry in the near future.

I can get behind this.. I mean he has the look of a super star in the making.. he reminds me of a GREEN lex luger.. (remember when he first started?) His career turned out alright.

There is something very charasmatic about Rob Terry that makes you want to cheer for him. He looks like a legit bad ass.. now if he can get a few catch phrases for his promos and get some confidence he can do a lot of things.. He needs to expand his aresenal more..

Ok guys, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... NOT EVERYONE WHO IS BUILT IS ON STEROIDS. Remember when HHH came back after Extreme Rules? He had just been on the cover of Muscle & Fitness magazine, right? Of course you guys don't remember that, or else you would know they test you for steroids before they put you on that cover. in all honesty, there has been only one incident in the last few years where certain WWE stars were alleged to have gone to a certain doctor who had been known to prescribe steroids. And the names are actually kind of surprising. Orton, Edge, Booker, Haas, Helms, SANTINO, John Morrison, Regal, Kennedy, and Chavo. Hmmm... So no HHH, Cena OR Batista? Well that's strange! I mean, how else could they be so built unless they were like, the hardest workers in the company or something? So seriously guys, the guys who are really roided up, (or were) are more TONED than BUILT. So back off of Rob Terry a little. Not everyone can be Nigel or Bryan. Some guys actually can manage to get ahead with other qualities than being "master technicians." My overall point is that Rob Terry might not by any means be great in the ring, but if you guys get off your period and look at everything he has to offer, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I think this push will do wonders for him. Not only will it make him believable in the ring and allow him to grow in the ring, but it will allow TNA to have their own Batista. Now, everyone is toting his victory over Anderson, but did everyone suddenly forget that Angle laid out Anderson with a chair before the match started? Anderson was " lifeless" when Terry picked him up and took him into the ring. So really, Terry won that match because of Angle. I'd like to see Terry actually face Anderson without any interference.

Personally, I hope this guy doesn't get a major push. I can't really stand to look at him. He grosses me out.

Guys like Batista, Triple H, Cena and Hogan are hugely muscular guys. Their arms are like tree trunks. Did they get there from steroids? Probably, but that's not really the debate here.

Guys like Terry remind me of the Ultimate Warrior. He looks like a science experiment gone terribly wrong. You simply should not have 48-pack abs. Your quad muscles shouldn't have extra muscles growing from them. Again, do I think he got there from steroids? Probably, but that isn't the point. Though, if he did, then he shoul probably cut back on them because he has overdone it.

The great Bobby Heenan used to have a quote for guys like Terry: "This guy has muscles in places that most people don't even have places."

...it's just gross...

I feel that the Global Championship should get getting more focus than it has been (forgotten until recently) and I don't feel that young Rob Terry is the guy to focus on.

Nothing against Rob but if you want to build the Global belt as the answer to the Intercontinental Championship then you need to put it up on an upper mid-carder like Desmond Wolfe, Matt Morgan, Samoa Joe, et cetera. You know, guys who actually are over as legitimately dangerous wrestlers.

As for Rob Terry, I don't want to give up on him because we haven't seen anything beyond his muscles, a powerslam and getting yelled at by the Invasion. Let's not judge until we see what he is capable of first. But he's nowhere near ready to hold the Global belt.

I'm still not impressed with anything that Rob Terry is doing or has done thus far. He is still the same mediocre talent he was when he first arrived in TNA. The only difference is that TNA has put a championship on him that nobody cares about. Terry has displayed no talent on the mic thus far and his abilities in the ring are still at the most basic and elementary levels. I'm not saying that Terry is required to be a master technician or any of that stuff, but throwing a right hand and a power slam seem to be the limits of his skill and move set at this particular time.

However, that's not to say that I couldn't possibly warm up to Rob Terry, but he's going to have to improve significantly before that happens. Since his debut, I've read a lot of posts comparing him to Batista and while Batista hasn't exactly been stellar throughout much of his time in the WWE, he's still head and shoulders above Rob Terry at this point. The only thing that Terry has going for him really is his look and I truly do believe that it's the only true reason why he's gotten the push he's getting now. It can't be his abilities because he hasn't really shown any.

Rob Terry never interested me, he just seemed like the big guy from the British Invasion. However if TNA are willing to give him a push then they must see something in him, even if it's simply just a powerhouse. If Rob Terry can start to become interesting and learns to work well in the ring I shall give him a chance, Im not going to write him off just yet, he may surprise us all.

Pretty much everyone in Wales has the face of a 15 year old emochav. Trust me, I live here.

I like Terry though, and not out of bias- I'm from Cardiff, he's from Swansea. I think he's got a great look, and he does what he does in the ring- be powerful. I also haven't heard him talk, so Ill reserve judement until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back