• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NWO or DX

ProWrestlingFan

Championship Contender
NWO :

nWo members : Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Randy Savage,Ted DiBiase , The Giant , nWo Sting, Syxx , Vincent, Bret Hart, Jeff Jarrett, Scott Steiner, Eric Bischoff, Buff Bagwell, V.K. Wallstreet ,Konnan, Lex Luger, Horace Hogan, Stevie Ray, Curt Hennig, Rick Rude, Big Bubba Rogers , Scott Norton, Disco Inferno, David Flair, Dennis Rodman, The Great Muta, Konnan, Dusty Rhodes, Brian Adams, Ron and Don Harris.

DX :

D-Generation X members : Triple-H, Shawn Michaels, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, X-Pac,Chyna

In my opinion nWo was better and is the greatest Pro-Wrestling stable of all time. DX were pretty good but they were made to parody nWo and none of their stuff was original.

Which was better in your opinion nWo or DX ?

I would also go for NWO. But i would say only when they started out and had a handful of people. Once every one else started joining them, it was never the same.

This was the time i didn't have Sky (UK), so was able to watch WCW at my grans house on a Friday night. It was when the NWO first came about and it kept me glued, as hadn't seen anything like it. Even when i found out who DX were, they never interested me at all. The NWO took wrestling to another level in terms of storylines and it was very good entertainment.

Both stables got their promotions over big time.

But nWo is the easy pick here, look at the list of main-eventers they had with the Hogan heel turn. Even though most of the guys in that stable were ex-WWE guys, but if WWE did anything like that it would eat the industry alive. WWE never made any effort of its own to create a stable dominated by main eventers, there were just short angles and storylines and nothing else. After WWE saw nWo's success, it made its own stable DX.

DX was fun for the while it lasted but nothing extraordinary came out of that, Bully Gunn and Road Dogg were totally forgettable when they left. X-Pac could never do anything on his own alone and Chyna was just HHH's manager.

DX just helped HHH get over. In my opinion Evolution was better then DX.

In their prime nWo was a far more menacing and interesting faction. DX in their prime were nothing more than HBK's "posse" that did ***** and *** jokes

The best moments of DX were almost always comedic in nature, gags, skits etc. nWo's greatest moments were always mean beatdowns and immense heel heat

In their "bad" years, nWo was watered down and grew tired, but id argue that only lasted from mid 1998 to end of WCW. Whereas DX felt very watered down when it was basically the new christian dynamo, Jesus lover, 40+ father who lives on a ranch and is balding together with the guy who married the bosses daughter, is also 40+, has kids and it was all done in a PG show

So both faction were watered down, but at the end of the day, nWo made a huge impact and was the centerpiece of WCW best years. DX was never the centerpiece of WWF, it was always Austin vs McMahon in that era and once that feud died down it became Austin vs Rock. DX was just comedy in the backround

Both stables got their promotions over big time.

But nWo is the easy pick here, look at the list of main-eventers they had with the Hogan heel turn. Even though most of the guys in that stable were ex-WWE guys, but if WWE did anything like that it would eat the industry alive. WWE never made any effort of its own to create a stable dominated by main eventers, there were just short angles and storylines and nothing else. After WWE saw nWo's success, it made its own stable DX.

DX was fun for the while it lasted but nothing extraordinary came out of that, Bully Gunn and Road Dogg were totally forgettable when they left. X-Pac could never do anything on his own alone and Chyna was just HHH's manager.

DX just helped HHH get over. In my opinion Evolution was better then DX.

You don't even mention Shawn Michaels, which was the original DX. Shawn Michaels, HHH, Chyna and Rick Rude (which no one else seems to remember). DX was really more for Michaels, at least originally. HHH wasn't the main focus of it until after HBK was force to go on hiatus.

On topic, if you're asking what was more influential and "important" in the annals of wrestling history? nWo, no doubt. There's a good chance that without the nWo there would be no Attitude Era, no Austin or Rock as we know them, or anything else that came out of that era of wrestling. nWo was the catalyst for that, no doubt.

But in terms of who was more entertaining? DX, for sure. The original incarnation of DX was incredibly fresh and a change of pace from the serious, methodical heels that nWo were. While nWo was obviously entertaining, as it was one of the first "outsider invasion" angles in the US so it wasn't a tired trope like it is these days, but DX was very different in both goal and purpose. nWo became significantly less entertaining once it became anything more than the Outsiders and Hogan, as well. DX stayed small, and stayed interesting for the most part.

You forgot a few members of DX. Tori, Stephanie McMahon and does Kane count? Afterall he was tag teaming with X-Pac using the DX theme. :)

also, you forgot some members of the nWo, Jeff Jarrett, Bret Hart and I'm sure lots more that came and went. :)

Anyway, I was a huge DX fan, but I was an even bigger nWo fan. I loved everything about the nWo, they were bad, but they were also cool. Of course The Outsiders are my favorite tag team ever, so yeah, I gotta side with the nWo here. All in all, they were a much better team, even though they did overdo it a couple years after they formed. But I stuck with them through all the incarnations, still was a fan, even though they got watered down by the time Jeff jarrett joined.

DX was very fun to watch though, but when the Outlaws and X-Pac joined the group, I would have preferred if they stayed heel during that time. The whole degenerate thing just screamed heel, that's why I loved the original DX alot more than the Outlaws / X-Pac version. HBK and HHH were hilarious as the heel DX. :)

I'm going DX simply because I think kids in that time period could relate to them more.

Let me explain, nWo looked cool, but that was about it. They LOOKED cool. DX was a band of misfits that dressed up as people, had derogatory catchphrases, and caused mayhem on RAW on a weekly basis. Women and children in that time period loved them and appealed to them more.

Besides, the nWo had way too many members. I mean, at first they had Hogan/Bischoff/Hall/Nash/Syxx/Perfect/Macho Man/Bagwell/Norton. It was a solid setup, but even that was too many. And then they branched off into nWo wolfpac, and nWo Hollywood and then both factions came together after the fingerpoke of doom. What was once cool became a clusterfuck.

DX stayed with its core 5 members: HHH/Road Dogg/Mr. Ass/Chyna/X-Pac and managed to stay popular over the course of the year before splitting up at WrestleMania 15. They were a good balance of talent. HHH was the leader, The Outlaws were popular even before joining DX, people knew X-Pac when he joined WWF, and then Chyna was the silent killer. They didn't need anything more, or anything less. Whatever they did, worked for them.

nWo gets a lot of praise, but DX is VERY underrated.

The NWO had a huge impact in 1996. It started the Monday Night Wars, the lines really started to be blured between kayfabe and reality, and of course the Hogan heel turn was shocking. Had the NWO ran a great one year angle ending with WCW winning in the end and NWO be dismembered after that, the angle would have been great. Too long, too much, shoved down everyones throat.

DX was very innovative too. I was a big fan of the HBK,HHH, Chyna, Rude version. I wanted Rude to get into the ring so bad. The best version was the first run with HHH at head with Xpac, Roaddogg, Billy. I enjoyed the group as much or sometimes even more then Austin during the attitude era. The heel version that reunited was decent too. I didnt see much of the reunion in this era.

i think im going to have to go with DX just because it wasnt beat into the ground. Having the whole show revovle around NWO for years was just such an overkill. I think that played a huge part in killing WCW.

@Mr. HD first off, nWo did the parody skit of the horsemen way before dx did the nation parody so they were the original cool guys on the block, they had the badass catch hrases first, they used the kliq hand sign first they did everything first, i wouldnt say dx was a cheap knockoff, it was a very expensive one that worked very well but nWo will always be the better faction and @HBKperfect123 DX wasnt run into the ground?! what about that horrible dx that ran from 2006 til HBKs retirement, that was terrible......nWo 4 life brothers

It's insulting that the nWo has to be constantly compared with DX. Heel Hogan has no equal in DX, the Outsiders could be equaled out by HHH & HBK if you're a wwe fanboy, otherwise they just don't have the same kind of coolness, they obviously have better in ring work tho. Xpac and Rude were in both so they cancel eachother out. And then Steiner alone takes care of the NAOutlaws and Chyna. Now the list can begin to blowout DX and even the Horseman for that matter. I hope to never, ever hear anyone bring up an idea that Evolution is even slightly comparable to any of the major 3 (DX,nWo,Horseman). Sting, Luger, Hart, Norton, Savage,Rodman just these 6 could've made a stable that was as good or better than DX. You know when you're with a group of people chillin and there's people that look cool and act cool, then there's the people that need to be a little inappropriate to get noticed, yeah that's the deal here! nWo over DX every time!

^ the nWo is always compared to dx because dx was a copy of the nWo, so naturally there will be comparisons made :) totally agree with most of your statement btw

NWO were cool for a little while, but it was the same thing every week.They beat someone up and then the following week they were part of the NWO way too predictable.You never knew what the guys from DX were going to do,they were funny and entertaining and also they took the first shots at WCW which was the beginning of the end!

@HBKperfect123 DX wasnt run into the ground?! what about that horrible dx that ran from 2006 til HBKs retirement, that was terrible......nWo 4 life brothers

Like I said, I wasnt watching at the time so I didnt get to see it. I'd imagine it was. The difference is the entire show was based around the NWO, DX had their segment and they were done for the night.

The NWO changed the face of wrestling I liked the nwo when it was just Hogan, Nash, and Hall . The NWO in 96-97 was awesome 98 was okay but after that the NWO was getting stale they had success with the wolfpac but that was screwed up with the finger poke and joining forces with the black and white . But the NWO almost put WWF out of business at one point

As far as DX it was great don't get me wrong but it was just a response to the NWO and at the time I was watching wcw majority of the time during 96-98 but wcw shot themselves in the foot in 99

I'm definitely on the DX side, strictly from personal tastes. I didn't find Hogan's schtick as entertaining in heel form and he was the focal point of the NWO in it's heyday. I found DX's antics a lot more entertaining.

The nWo was definitely the better stable, with Hogans heel turn it changed and in many ways saved wrestling for the better. DX was nothing more than an imitation.

I would have to say DX Because they actually went to WCW nitro, but WCW did not take advantage of that. If WCW let DX in I only could imagine the raitings wcw would have had.

I will go with Degeneration-X because of their antics, which were funny, unique, and doesn't bore the viewer. And also because I don't really like the NWO guys to be honest.

Nothing the NWO impressed me. They came off as a rich wrestlers vacation club. The matches were terrible. Their ego grand-standing interviews took up twenty minutes of tv time that could have been used to advance younger talent. When I saw Nash cutting a promo wearing a fanny pack and holding a cup of coffee, I knew these guys just showed up every week to get paid and could care less of the quality of matches they contested. Their matches sucked bad.

DX on the other hand was fresh, they had young talent that was entertaining (97-98). Roaddogg and Billy gun were awsome to watch. X- Pac was doing some of the best work of his career. HHH was becoming a main eventer right before our eye. Plus, they had a good , equal rival in The NOD, as opposed to the NWO who squashed everybody so bad that when they were finished putting themselves over every one else, their egos got so big, they had to split in two.

I'll go with DX.
I would have to go with DX from the early years....

nWo by a million miles. Seriously the only faction that can compare to the nWo is the Horsemen.

DX were alright as Shawn's back up, really came into their own as an upper mid-card act for about a year and since then it's comebacks have been awful. The last time HBK and HHH were running around with leprechaun court was some of the worst TV ever produced by a wrestling promotion, just awful.

nWo on the flipside was the biggest thing in pro-wrestling for about 2 straight years, almost put the WWF out of business and changed the wrestling world. Granted they should have killed it off by mid-1998 (I've always thought a clean Sting win at Starrcade 1997 should have set the wheels in motion for the nWo's break up, culminating at Bash at the Beach 1998 with Nash vs Hogan) but you can't deny what they did for a time there.

Other than the initial Hogan turn and the feud with Sting which they managed to screw up, the nWo was trash. Half the roster were in the nWo at one point and it got boring quick, fast, and in a hurry. There were like 450 different versions of the nWo which weren't great at all.

I'll take 1997-2000 DX over the nWo in a heartbeat. They were great as heels in 1997 and were so over with the crowd that they turned them face in 1998 and had entertaining moments with the Nation of Domination and the Corporation. Rock and HHH tore it up in 1998 and in 2000 and their feud with the McMahon clan in 1999 is underrated as well.

nWo was built up so huge that when they fell, they couldn't recover. DX, on the other hand was a group that could have gone on forever. It was a much of highly talented misfits that was funny and great to watch wrestle. nWo got too be too big and had to keep dumping members, plus nWo was far too dominate and got boring. You always knew the nWo would cheat to win a match. nWo became stale while DX probably could have still stayed popular if it never fell apart.

EASILY DX IMO!

The reason being basically the "roster" you listed for each.

I will admit I NWO caught my interest when Hogan turned & they were the "hot thing" coming to prominence.

But after that it all went down hill for me. They started making it a million different members in NWO, they split into the Wolfpack, etc. The whole thing just because overdone, boring, confusing, stupid, & pointless. Then they came to WWE & bascially got worse before disappearing.

Not only did I never get tired of DX & there antics, they constantly evolved themselves. Even the 2007 & 2010 reincarnations were very good in their own way.

I definitely enjoyed the nWo better than DX as well, but I liked both groups. Both were funny, put on pretty entertaining matches, and were involved in some extremely captivating storylines.

The nWo did get stale after a while, but I enjoyed when Nash first started the Wölfpac. The Wölfpac/nWo Hollywood feud only lasted a year or so, but I enjoyed watching the story unfold. There was a period where you weren't sure who was going to join either group, who was going to leave, etc. That's also when WCW was still creaming WWF in the ratings, and I think the two feuding nWo groups played a HUGE part in that. Everyone talks about how wrestling was so great at the time because you didn't know who was going to leave WWF and join WCW (and vice versa), but you also didn't know who was going to leave and/or join these big groups in WCW. At that same time, the WWF had the Corporation vs. DX (which was almost a carbon copy of what was happening in WCW), but the stable battle that was happening in WCW at that time was much more compelling (at least IMHO).

Once the FPoD happened, the Wölfpac pretty much died. Yeah, they kept the red & black shirts, but the entire nWo was then one HUGE group; with the nWo "elite" being in the red shirts, and the "B-Team" (led by Stevie Ray, LOL) in the white shirts. There was also the LwO, which was just too bad to even mention. All of that was just ridiculous, and by that time (1999) I think Triple H was just about to become "The Game" (and a main-eventer). I can't remember the exact dates, but all of that seems about right. Once Triple H turned on the rest of the DX army, it was over for that group as well (until H & Michaels revived it years later...and eventually recruited Hornswaggle. Ugh).

I didn't even bother talking about the original nWo (The Outsiders, Hogan joining the group, etc), because it was already covered so well in this thread. The WWE nWo was covered here as well, and I don't think anyone was too into it. However when it was introduced in WWE I think we were all excited at first. Too bad that Nash & Hall couldn't stay, who knows if it would have been different (or better). Putting Booker T in there was pretty ridiculous, he must have only been written in because he was a "WCW original". Giant (Big Show) made sense at least, especially adding him after Nash had left (since Nash & he "hated" each other for so long in WCW).

I know everyone rags on how many members there were in the nWo, but to me that was one of it's big selling points. Who was going to join? Who would leave and become face? Once the Wölfpac started, it added an even bigger wrinkle to that same storyline. I was literally on the edge of my seat for weeks when Sting was being wooed by both The Wölfpac and nWo Hollywood. That was one of the major reasons to watch Nitro for me in the mid-to-late 1990s, and the reason why I watched TNT on Monday nights instead of USA.

I like D-X, they were great in their prime but they are not better then the nWo. nWo, changed the way that wrestling worked. nWo broke what was real and not real. The nWo was cool and still is cool. I still love the nWo till this day. I still wear my nWo shirt and watch old footage of the New World Order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back