• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NCAA Football Weekly Prediction Thread

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
NCAA football starts on Thursday, and with me being the fan of football that I am, I decided to hold a prediction thread in here. I know there are pick 'em games online, but this thread will feature only 5 games college games a week (the 5 I, and Vegas, believe will be the most intriguing). This games WILL be picked with the spread on them, so for those of you unfamiliar with how the spread works, I'll give you an example.

Example: Syracuse is 6 1/2 favorites this week over Wake Forest. So say you pick Syracuse and they win 27-20, they'll have 'covered' the spread and your pick will be right. However, should Syracuse win 24-21 or even lose, then they will have not covered and you will be wrong.

So, the key may not be picking who will win, but how close the game will be. Some games are virtual toss ups, so you will be just caring about who wins. But there will be games where the spread may be 10 1/2 and you have to wonder if the game will be close or (relatively speaking) a blowout. With that being said, if anyone has questions I (or anyone else understanding of the spread betting system) will help you out.

Also, I'll keep ALL predictions in here, from Week one to conference championship week. I'll also tally up everyone's victory totals at the end of the week and include them with next weeks games. All you have to do is pick the games and watch, and enjoy some college football. I felt like doing this because I find it a little more interactive then pick'em games and I don't have to bother with 20 or 25 games to pick even though most seem to be gimmes.

And if you miss out on a week, no big deal. I'll keep your record on here and you can get back going the next week. But if you pick one game for a week, you have to pick ALL games. If you don't, it's automatically a loss (and I don't know why people wouldn't at least take a shot in the dark).

Alright, enough babble from me. I will keep this updated and will try to have everything up by either Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on if a pick a Friday game or not). I just wanted to get this up early because it is Labor Day weekend and some people will be out of town. Now, here are the 5 games, with the favorite having the number next to them:

(lines courtesy of MGM-Mirage)

Friday, September 2 - #14 TCU (-6½) @ Baylor - 8 PM ET ESPN
Saturday, September 3 - South Florida @ #16 Notre Dame (-10½) - 3:30 PM ET NBC
Saturday, September 3 - #5 Boise State (-3) @ #19 Georgia - 8 PM ET ESPN
*Saturday, September 3 - #3 Oregon (-1) vs. #4 LSU - 8 PM ET ABC
Monday, September 5 - Miami (FL) (-6) @ Maryland - 8 PM ET ESPN

*- Held at a neutral location

Here are my predictions for these games, with a little bit of analysis-

BAYLOR to beat the spread. If this was later in the month, I think TCU would probably roll. But Week one, on the road, with the best offensive player on the other team in Robert Griffin III? TCU's going to have some growing pains replacing Andy Dalton and, while they still have a strong defense, will get themselves battle tested against a scrappy Baylor team. I don't know if it'll be an upset, but it will be tight throughout the game.

SOUTH FLORIDA to beat the spread, but lose the game. Like with the game above, if this was week 3 or 4 and we had some real-game film to disect these teams I'd be more confident with my picks. But, 10 1/2 is quite a lot of points, and USF was pretty good in defense last year, and the first game is normally where you see teams not at their sharpest. ND wins by at least a TD, but not by more then 10.

BOISE STATE to cover the spread. Georgia I do think will be improved (and actually win the SEC East) but Kellen Moore and Doug Martin are back on a high powered offense and team itching to make up for their choke job last year against Nevada. Chris Peterson has lost about 5 games his entire time at Boise (exaggerating, but not by much) and this is probably no better then the 4th best SEC team (Bama, LSU, and Arkansas I all see better. USC and MSU could give an argument as well). Boise to win, by 10+.

OREGON to cover the spread. This is a virtual toss up, since you can't win by half a point. Oregon does have to replace 3 offensive linemen, but Darron Thomas and LaMichael James return and LSU is having QB problems of their own with Jordan Jefferson suspended as is one of their top playmaking receivers in Russell Shepard. This won't be a high scoring affair, but Oregon does have less talent missing and will answer the challenge after getting edged out by another SEC team in the BCS Championship game this past January. Oregon by a TD.

MARYLAND to beat the spread and win the game. Miami, if you've been living under a rock these past 3 weeks, is under investigation due to former booster Nevin Shapiro, doing basically a bunch of things that were against NCAA rules (such as giving them money and hookers). QB Jacory Harris was one of those involved with Shapiro and is suspended (as of now) for the game. Both teams are going through head coaching changes, but Maryland was a somewhat surprising team last year and return their top rusher and passer, although their top two receivers have either gone to the NFL or graduated. Al Golden's first game isn't pretty, MD by 10.

You guys don't need as long winded explanations as me, but please BOLD the winners so it's easier for me to tally them up. And your predictions have to be in by the time of the first game of the week (8 ET Friday). So get your picks in asap.

And I will be doing an NFL one sometime next week.

Good idea, I really like college footbal, and these spreads are good. Here are my picks:

TCU

South Florida to beat the spread, but not win the game.

Boise State

Oregon

Even(I think that's what you call it when you pick the team to win by the spread, but I'm not sure, but I pick Miami by 6)

Since theres only been two picks, if someone wants to pick the 4 games today they can. Obviously the first game would be a loss, but a 4-1 start wouldn't be bad.

Please. For me? :eek:

RESULTS IN BOLD

Friday, September 2 - #14 TCU (-6½) @ Baylor - 8 PM ET ESPN
Saturday, September 3 - South Florida @ #16 Notre Dame (-10½) - 3:30 PM ET NBC
Saturday, September 3 - #5 Boise State (-3) @ #19 Georgia - 8 PM ET ESPN
*Saturday, September 3 - #3 Oregon (-1) vs. #4 LSU - 8 PM ET ABC
Monday, September 5 - Miami (FL) (-6) @ Maryland - 8 PM ET ESPN

Standings (through week one)
Megatron = 4-1
Big Sexy = 2-3
The Cock Shaped Pillow = 2-3

Week Two:
(lines courtesy of Betonline.com)
Saturday, September 10 - #16 Mississippi State (-7) @ Auburn - 12:21 PM ET SEC Network
Saturday, September 10 - #3 Alabama (-9.5) @ #23 Penn State - 3:30 PM ET ABC
Saturday, September 10 - #12 South Carolina (-3) @ Georgia - 4:30 PM ET ESPN
Saturday, September 10 - Utah @ USC (-9) - 7:30 PM ET Versus
Saturday, September 10 - Notre Dame (-3.5) @ Michigan - 8:00 PM ET ESPN

Don't forget to make your picks in bold.

MISSISSIPPI STATE to take care of Auburn rather easily. We all saw what Auburn did against Utah State last week, and although sometimes there's a fluky week here or there, but this Auburn team is trying to replace a ton of starters and USU controlled the game last week. Mississippi State may only be the 4th best team in the division, but they're as quality of a 4th place team as you'll find. 2 TDs at least.

ALABAMA to cover as well. Yes, their QB issue isn't completely resolved, but Penn State has their own problems at QB and really is a bit fortunate to be ranked at the moment. With this being at Happy Valley PSU may keep it close til the middle of the 3rd, but Bama should win by 10 or 11.

GEORGIA to beat the spread and South Carolina. Georgia is a desperate team, and Mark Richt is a desperate man. USC didn't look impressive at all defensively against ECU (although they put up 56) and while Georgia did seem overmatched by Boise, with this being at home the Dawgs know a win like this will put them in the drivers seat of a weak SEC East.

USC to cover. While they didn't look awfully impressive against Minnesota, Utah is making their Pac-12 debut at the Colisseum and the Matt Barkley-Robert Woods combination was effective often. USC isn't a great team, but I think Utah is probably average and hasn't looked good in their games against good teams within the past year (TCU + Boise last year come to mind).

NOTRE DAME to cover the spread and beat Michigan. I know it's under the lights and UM's first home night game, but Notre Dame, like Georgia, knows an 0-2 start can't happen and they'll be a bit desperate. Tommy Rees is the right option at QB right now, and if they can stay away from the preventable things (turnovers in the red zone, dumb penalties) they have more talent and should take advantage of an offense and defense that are still getting adjusted to new schemes.

Mississippi State- Auburn blows

Bama- Penn State has even more questions at qb the Bama and they don't have Trent Richardson to fall back on.

South Carolina- Both teams struggled last week but SC has more talent.

USC- Lane Kiffen learns to not randomly go for two.

Michigan- Notre Dame struggled at home against South Florida and now they have to face a better team and do it on the road. Michigan looked great and had two defensive td's in the opener after just shy of 3 quarters.

Saturday, September 10 - #16 Mississippi State (-7) @ Auburn - 12:21 PM ET SEC Network
Saturday, September 10 - #3 Alabama (-9.5) @ #23 Penn State - 3:30 PM ET ABC (spread not game)
Saturday, September 10 - #12 South Carolina (-3) @ Georgia - 4:30 PM ET ESPN
Saturday, September 10 - Utah @ USC (-9) - 7:30 PM ET Versus

Shit, am I too late to jump in with yall boys? Last week I had

Baylor over TCU

USF over ND

Boise over GA

Oregon over LSU

Maryland over Miami

This Week

M-State over AU

Bama over PSU

USC over Utah

Notre Dame over Mighigan

Totally didn't see this thread.

My picks:

- Mississippi State over Auburn. Auburn nearly lost to the third best team in Utah, ugh.

- Alabama over Penn State. Trent Richardson is the deciding factor here.

- Utah over USC. John White IV looked impressive, even if the rest of the Utah offense sputtered. If he can keep it up, I can see a win over USC who did NOT impress either.

- Georgia over South Carolina. Neither team looked good, but South Carolina has more questions.

- Michigan over Notre Dame. Notre Dame is having QB issues, Michigan looked fairly good in their opener.

I'll take your guys word for it, and unless BS or CSP have any problems with it, I'll let you guys start 2-3 with them.

And Norcal you forgot to pick South Carolina/Georgia.

Results in bold:

Saturday, September 10 - #3 Alabama (-9.5) @ #23 Penn State - 3:30 PM ET ABC
Saturday, September 10 - #12 South Carolina (-3) @ Georgia - 4:30 PM ET ESPN PUSH - Nobody gets record.
Saturday, September 10 - Utah @ USC (-9) - 7:30 PM ET Versus PUSH - Nobody gets record

Standings (through week two)

Megatron = 5-3-2
Big Sexy = 4-4-2
The Crock = 4-4-2
The Cock Shaped Pillow = 3-5-2
Mighty Norcal = 3-5-2

Week 3:
Saturday, September 17 - #18 West Virginia @ Maryland (-1.5) - 12 PM ESPNU
Saturday, September 17 - #24 Texas (-3.5) @ UCLA - 3:30 PM ABC
Saturday, September 17 - #1 Oklahoma (-3.5) @ #5 Florida State - 8 PM ABC
Saturday, September 17 - Utah (-6.5) @ BYU - 9:15 PM ESPN2
Saturday, September 17 - #6 Stanford (-10) @ Arizona - 10:45 PM ESPN

Don't forget to make your picks in BOLD.

WEST VIRGINIA to beat the spread. I'm figuring MD is the favorite because they're at home and did beat the U on Labor Day, but WVU has two games under Dana Holgorsen and both times Geno Smith has lit it up (although it took him a bit to get going last week against lowly Northfolk State). It should be an interesting game to watch, for sure, but I'll bet on Holgorsen's crew.

TEXAS to cover the spread. I know they had some QB issues against BYU (notable Garrett Gilbert sucking dick) but UCLA is UCLA and I don't have much faith in Rick Neuhiesels crew. Then again they did stomp on them last year in Texas, but neither team seems like a stable pick atm. I'll take the road dog here.

OKLAHOMA to cover the spread. I do think this will be a close game throughout, but OU's offense lit it up week one against Tulsa and they have a dangerous passing game with Landry Jones at the helm. It'll be within 10, but more then 3.5.

BYU to beat the spread. This is a rivalry game, and it's in Provo. Utah is coming off a heartbreaking loss to kick off their Pac-12 season, and BYU has been alright against Ole Miss and Texas, although they managed to drop the 2nd game. I do think Utah will pull it out, and while a TD isn't much, I see this coming down to the end.

STANFORD to cover the spread. Arizona got smashed against Brandon Weeden, now hello Andrew Luck. It is at Zona, but Andrew Luck will be able to pick apart this secondary, even if Zona will have a little bit of extra rest. At least 2 TDs here.

Just poking my head in here, probably to late for me to join, but it is good to see my Sooners getting some love from the WZ community. :)

It's never too late to join, I just can't give you a record for the first 10 games. If you were to maintain a long enough run here i could calculate you in by your win %.

Results in bold

Standings (through week three)
Megatron = 9-4-2
Big Sexy = 9-4-2
The Crock = 8-5-2
The Cock Shaped Pillow = 6-7-2
Mighty Norcal = 6-7-2

Week 4
Saturday, September 24 - North Carolina @ #25 Georgia Tech (-6) - 12 PM ESPN
Saturday, September 24 - California @ Washington (-3) - 3:30 PM FSN
Saturday, September 24 - #7 Oklahoma State @ #8 Texas A&M (-3) - 3:30 PM ABC
Saturday, September 24 - #14 Arkansas @ #3 Alabama (-11.5) - 3:30 PM CBS
Saturday, September 24 - #2 LSU (-6) @ #16 West Virginia - 8:00 PM ABC

Don't forget to make your picks in BOLD.

GEORGIA TECH to cover the spread. The triple option is dialing it up right now, setting an NCAA record for most YPA with over 12 in a romp against Kansas. Plus, their passing game, when they do it, is very effective, with averaging over 30 yards per completion. UNC does have some talent, but the past two years the Yellow Jackets have beaten the Tar Heels, and they look like 2009 form again. A TD seems about right here.

WASHINGTON to cover the spread. This game is kinda tricky because we don't know much about either team. UW does seem to be headed into the right direction under Steve Sarkisian, but they've had problems stopping everyone, including Eastern Washington. However, the game is at home, and they can score, putting up 38 on a highly touted Nebraska defense. Plus, while Cal is 3-0, QB Zach Maynard has only completed just over 50% of his passes, and even though they've run the ball well, the better RB is on UW in Chris Polk. This could be a barnburner, and I'll take UW by 6.

OKLAHOMA STATE to beat the spread. The winner of this game takes the first leap in the Big 10 12 race, and while it's at Kyle Field, Brandon Weeden to Justin Blackmon is as terrific of a combination as you'll find in the nation. Like the last game, I expect this to be a total barnburner, but I just like Mike Gundy's squad a little more.

ARKANSAS to beat the spread. I'm really up in arms about this one. Arkansas will have a dynamic offense this year, even without Knile Davis, but they haven't played anyone yet. It's at Alabama, so if it was straight up I'd have no worries, but 12 points to cover is a LOT with the offense, especially since AJ McCarron hasn't had a lot of experience (with only one vs a BCS team - Penn State 2 weeks ago). The matchup will be Bamas D vs. Arkansas O. If Saban can dial it up and shut them down, which he's capable of, they can win by two TD's. But it's just tough for me to give them that, considering THEIR only decent competition was PSU - who, in case you didn't know, isn't all that great.

WEST VIRGINIA to beat the spread and pull off our first big upset of the season. Dana Holgorsen has Geno Smith heating it up, and while none of the defenses they've played will be like LSU's, and they did have trouble holding on to their once big lead against Maryland, the game is at home, at night. The Mountaineer crowd will go nuts and 2 straight road tests by LSU just has me thinking they'll slip up here. Like the game above, the key matchup will be if LSU's D can shut down Geno Smith and the WVU passing offense.

Saturday, September 24 - #7 Oklahoma State @ #8 Texas A&M (-3) - 3:30 PM ABC

Get ready for gun fire and combined 70+ score in this game. These are two teams who operate in the spread offense, as most Big 12 schools do. I know from watching that Oklahoma State's defense is waiting to burst and it could very possibly that Texas A&M is the one to do it. If A&M can't win then we are looking at a collision course in December when the Sooners take on Oklahoma State with Nation Title contendership on the line. Big 12 is notorious for it's high octane offenses and its loose secondary. Expect big plays one seriously ********* team at the end of it.

I hope for one the Aggies eat their words. The have literally outgrown their pants this year by pressuring SEC into taking them. SEC already said no last year, but A&M thinks that just because they tied for 1st last year that they deserve to have whatever they want. This is coming from a Sooner, Big 12, and college football fan; Texas A&M needs to have their bubble busted.

If you have watched SEC over the last few years you know this about Arkansas; they will stick around for a long fight, but at the end of the day they can't ever pull out a successful season. Alabama will probably demolish Arkansas on a vengeful path to another championship, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if Arkansas wins. Whatever happens, expect Alabama to win and collide with LSU, with the winner going to the National Title, or Arkansas win and squander it away with a worthless loss later on in the season. I'll pick Alabama to be on the safe side though.

Saturday, September 24 - #2 LSU (-6) @ #16 West Virginia - 8:00 PM
ABC

I currently believe that we will see two of the following four teams in the national championship. Alabama or LSU and Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. LSU has looked downright impressive and if I had my wish it would be Oklahoma vs. LSU for it. I don't except LSU to lose here or at all unless it's against Alabama.

Saturday, September 24 - #7 Oklahoma State @ #8 Texas A&M (-3) push - 3:30 PM ABC
Saturday, September 24 - #2 LSU (-6) @ #16 West Virginia (spread, but not the game) - 8:00 PM ABC

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back