NBA Thread - 2009-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never once saw Iverson "refuse" to come off the bench. All I heard him say was that he wouldn't like it. That's not "refusing". If the coach had any balls and would've stood up to him, Iverson would've came off the bench and still played as hard as he could.

Refuse is the wrong word, but with all the complaining he was doing he was becoming a huge distraction. He was also playing like shit off the bench. He was basically coasting every time he was on the floor.

How was he a horrible teammate? I didn't hear any of his teammates bitch about his behavior

Being a good teammate isn't just about being liked by your peers. By constantly complaining and not giving 100% when he was coming off the bench, he was hurting the team. T.O. is liked by the majority of his former teammates but I wouldn't call him a good teammate.

just Detroit fans who take EVERYTHING way too personally, like they always have and always will.

Yes because only Detroit fans take things personally. All home town fans take things personally when players hurt their teams. Way to take a shot at one cities fans when all fans are like that.

In fact, from what I remember, Detroit's embarrassing showing in the playoffs this year against Cleveland came with Iverson injured.

He actually wasnt injured, Detroit told him to stop coming because he didnt want to come off the bench.

The fact is... A.I. has a certain style and if you have him on your team, you have to adjust your team to his way of playing. Detroit and Denver were simply not good fits for him, and even then... both teams made the playoffs with him on their team, so he obviously wasn't a "cancer" there either.

When he first got to Denver, some people predicted Denver to win it all instead they couldnt even make conference championships. George Karl traded him because he stated that he wasted to many possessions on bad shots.

Detroit fell all the way to the 8th seed, and really had no chance at winning for the first time in like 6 or 7 years. Iverson didnt want to come off the bench, which lead to him being sent home for end of regular season and playoffs. If they have Chauncey Billups they arent the 8 seed they couldve been 4 or 5 seed and Denver would've been like Detroit. I am not saying Iverson isnt a great player back in his prime. He is 34, and he needs to be a point guard and get the assists not the points. But he is unwilling to do that and that is why he is cancer

He was the #1 draft pick in 1996, Rookie of the Year in 1997, MVP of the Rookie/Sophmore game in 1997, League MVP in 2001, 4 time scoring champion, 10 time All-Star, 2 time All-Star game MVP, 3 time All NBA First Team, Has lead the League in steals 3 times, and has even been on the All NBA Defensive Team. Why hasn't he been signed yet?

I know that he get's a bad rap about being selfish or hard to deal with, but why will no one give him a chance? He may have been selfish early on in his career but that is because there was no one else on his team that could really help him offensively. He wasn't selfish in Denver. Both he and Anthony were among the top in scoring during Iverson's tenure at Denver. They were 3rd and 4th in scoring in 2008. So if he is selfish how did Melo get the ball enough to have so many points?

Everyone in the league knows who he is and how he plays. He is a scorer first. He has always been like that and to expect him to change this late in his career is crazy.

Alot of teams out there need a go to guy and he can still be that guy. Imagine him if he went to the Bobcats. They have defense, they just don't that guy that give them points no matter what. Iverson would be perfect on a team like that.

So my question is, why hasn't he been signed yet?

I ask myself the same exact question everytime I go on NBA.com. He may want to be the star of whatever team he's playing for and he might be classified as somewhat of a ball hog, but that doesn't take away from the fact the he is still one of the greatest players in the league, even at 34 years old.

I believe that the team closest to making a deal with Allen Iverson is the Memphis Grizzlies. Quite frankly, I do not think that he will get as much exposure as he obviously wants in what is likely to be one of his final years in the league.

But I agree with what you said about the Charlotte Bobcats. They do have defense and adding Iverson to the team will help improve their team greatly, as they are getting better each year. And with Larry Brown being Allen Iverson's coach for 7 years in the past, he knows a lot about his playing style and a little about what he wants to stay happy.

The problem is... the one goal that Allen Iverson has before he retires is to win his first championship. Unfortunately, being with the Grizzlies or the Bobcats won't really give him a good chance of doing so. I absolutely love the guy and I hope that he is happy where he is or ends up.

Allen Iverson just doesn't play well when he isn't the focal point of the offense and at this point in his career he isn't good enough to be the focal point on any team.

If he goes to a contender all he's going to do is cause trouble if he's not a starter. If he is a starter he won't be able to fit in with the offense because he won't get as many touches as he is used to.

If he goes to a young team that isn't ready to contend then all he will do is stunt the growth of the younger players. Again he would most likely bitch and moan if he isn't a starter and if he is a starter, he'll just be taking away touches from the younger guys. A team like Memphis would rather have OJ Mayo, Marcus Williams, and Mike Conley get playing time over Iverson.

I love AI, one of my favorite all time players. When the Sixers traded him my interest in NBA dwindled. I would love if the Sixers signed him but that looks unlikely. I see him going to Memphis or signing with Charlotte and reunite with Larry Brown.

Why hasn't Allen Iverson signed a deal with any team in the NBA? Well, that's a good question. You can't tell me that 12 to 15 players on 32 NBA teams are all better than Allen Iverson. Even in the late stages of his career, where he is now, he can still score at will, better than anyone not named Kobe, LeBron, or Dwyane. His problem is his reputation, which precedes him wherever he goes. He's recognized as lazy (Practice? We're talking about practice. Practice. Not a game... practice.), egotistical, selfish, and as a general cancer to a team. While not career lows, his shooting percentage, assists, and steals were low. His 17.4 points per game average was the lowest he's ever scored. This isn't to say he's not a great player, but it's not the Iverson of 10 years ago. He would still be an outstanding addition, from a statistical standpoint, for any NBA team.

Unfortunately, he has an issue with taking a low salary and coming off the bench. If Iverson were willing to be the leader of the second team, he'd see a good 20-25 minutes a game and be the man off the bench. Any team would love to have this sure-fire hall of fame player coming off the pine. I think that a team with a great foundation and solid infrastructure, such as the Spurs, should take a chance. It'd push them over the top, and it'd give Iverson a chance at that ring he's missing. But, if he doesn't change that attitude, he'll find himself playing in an empty arena in Memphis, with no hope of a championship.

NBA.com said:
Allen Iverson will sign a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Memphis Grizzlies in the next 24 to 48 hours, ending a summer-long pursuit of a team that wanted the 34-year-old's game and cache and would provide him an opportunity for the playing time he still desperately covets.

The contract will have incentives that could make the deal larger, but the Grizzlies will not renounce their rights to guard Juan Carlos Navarro, which would have freed up another $900,000 in salary cap room.

The Grizzlies' braintrust, including owner Michael Heisley, general manager Chris Wallace and head coach Lionel Hollins, flew to Atlanta on Labor Day to make its offer to Iverson, who has a home there and has been training there this summer with NBA TV analyst and former teammate Eric Snow. The meeting went well and after looking over the remaining options, Iverson took the deal.

Iverson confirmed his decision on his Twitter feed Wednesday morning.

"God Chose Memphis as the place that I will continue my career," he wrote. In a post a few minutes later, he said, "I feel that they are committed to developing a winner and I know that I can help them to accomplish that. I feel that I can trust them."

Reached by telephone Wednesday, Heisley said that Iverson verbally committed to the Grizzlies late Tuesday evening.

"He told us he was very interested in playing with the young team we've assembled," Heisley said. "He thought he could help us win and he was looking forward to helping the young players, and helping them to develop. Frankly, I'm ecstatic to have him."

Iverson didn't have a lot of suitors this offseason. Memphis, Miami and Charlotte were most aggressive in their pursuits, but the combination of a cut in next season's cap, down to $57.7 million, along with the prospect of even lower cap and luxury tax numbers for the 2010-11 season, dried up most of the potential marketplace for veterans. Portland, one of the few teams with room this summer, had no interest in Iverson, and the contending teams with mid-level exceptions went in different directions.

Signing a one-year deal will make Iverson an unrestricted free agent next summer, joining a strong free agent class. But Iverson would likely have to wait again next summer like he did this one, as teams line up to woo younger stars like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

"We know it's going to be difficult for us to keep him past next year," Heisley said. "But he told us we shouldn't think he's going to just jump at the next opportunity. We have to win."

The 10-time All-Star will be looking to resurrect his career in Memphis, after failing to boost the Nuggets and Pistons into contention the last two seasons. Iverson's teams have not gotten past the first round of the playoffs since 2003, when the 76ers lost to Detroit in the Eastern Conference semifinals. Since then, Iverson has only been in the playoffs three times, not including last season, when he was not on the Pistons' postseason roster.

Iverson said a back injury made it impossible for him to play, and the Pistons concurred, though it also coincided with then-coach Michael Curry's decision to bring Iverson off the bench in favor of starter Richard Hamilton. Iverson chafed at the role and said he would rather retire than come off the bench in the future.

Heisley said that he was giving Iverson a clean slate.

"I don't buy into all of the stuff that's gone on," he said. "I'm not saying none of it happened. Some of it did...but I know Allen is an excellent player. He's going to the Hall of Fame. Pau [Gasol, the former Grizzlies star forward and current Laker] might someday. The city of Memphis is going to be ecstatic to have him. We've never had a Hall of Famer, a guy of Allen's stature playing in Memphis. I feel Allen is going to be outstanding for us."

However, Iverson will expect to start in the backcourt for the Grizzlies, and that would mean benching either bench third-year point guard Mike Conley, Jr., who came on toward the end of last season with Hollins backing him, or second-year shooting guard O.J. Mayo. Both guards need all the reps they can get as they continue their development. After trading Gasol to the Lakers early in 2008, the Grizzlies went back to the drawing board, looking to build a new core group around Conley, Mayo, forward Rudy Gay and center Marc Gasol, Pau's younger brother, who came from Los Angeles in the trade for his older brother.

Memphis added center Hasheem Thabeet and forwards Sam Young and DeMarre Carroll in this year's excellent draft, and acquired forward Zach Randolph from the Clippers in the summer for guard Quentin Richardson. But Randolph, like Iverson, needs a lot of touches to be most effective.

"Your whole team changes when Allen is on it," said an Eastern Conference executive. "And he's not that kind of player anymore."

Of course, Iverson feels differently. He said his jumper was "still very wet" in a Twitter post this past weekend, and has said previously he would "lead by example" on his next team.

Iverson should also positively impact the Grizzlies' business side. Memphis was next to last in the league in average attendance this past season, drawing just more than 12,700 a game to the 18,000-seat FedEx Forum, filling around 70 percent of the available seats, the worst percentage in the league.

But Heisley said that was not his motivation in signing Iverson.

"He said, 'you're not bringing me here to sell tickets, are you? 'Cause I'm not interested,'" Heisley said. "I said no, we want to win ... we want to really be a contending team."

Iverson posted career lows both in scoring average (17.5) and minutes (26.7) last season, mostly with the Pistons, who acquired him from Denver in November in a trade that sent Chauncey Billups to the Nuggets. That Billups and the Nuggets, who had lost in the first round four straight seasons, then went on to the Western Conference finals before falling to the eventual champion Lakers was an even more bitter tonic for the Pistons, who were quickly swept in the first round by Cleveland.

But Iverson remains one of the league's most popular and iconic players. His Pistons jersey was the fifth-highest seller among individual jerseys at the NBA Store in New York last season, trailing only Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Chris Paul and Kevin Garnett. And Heisley believes that Iverson will fit right in with Memphians and not overwhelm them with his outsized personality.

"I think Allen will get the kind of attention in Memphis that he did in Philadelphia," Heisley said. "I think he will be a major, major figure in the city. I think Allen will do the right things. I think people will be very surprised around the league."

Well, this is no surprise. It was only a matter of time really before this deal was signed, but I'm a bit shocked that it's only a one year deal and worth only $3.5 million. You'd figure a big name like Iverson would be able to score a bit more than that from a contract.

This is good news for Memphis. They've started to build a really nice core of young players, and adding a veteran like Iverson will only help them in that regard. This is hardly going to be a move that pushes them to a playoff contender though in my opinion, Memphis will be mediocre yet again this year.

Thoughts?

Well I'm glad that he has finally signed with someone. Maybe Memphis will let Iverson be Iverson, the go to guy. If they let Iverson play like he is used to playing, then it can really be something special.

The beautiful thing about Iverson this season is, he is coming in with alot that he thinks that he has to prove after what happened last season and an Allen Iverson with a chip on his shoulder is a special player (See 2001 Sixers).

They could very well make the playoffs if Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo step up the bar. They also have a decent center with Marc Gasol who only continues to get better and better.

They will probably play Iverson at the point guard which is ok but he is better at the shooting guard position. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

You can't tell me that 12 to 15 players on 32 NBA teams are all better than Allen Iverson.

That's true, but there's more to it than just having great individual talent. Today's NBA is about team play and when I think of Iverson, I keep coming back to his experience with Detroit last year. They were a team struggling to make the playoffs, and at a time when everyone was trying to pull together and work for the good of the team, Iverson is complaining about not wanting to come off the bench.

Fans never get to know what's really going on in the inner workings of a team, but the fact remains that the Pistons sent AI home just as the playoffs were beginning. You have to realize the implications of something like that; yes, they announced that he had re-injured his back, but I don't buy it. I think he was considered such a cancer that no one wanted him around. And again, this is at playoff time.

Iverson doesn't play a team game; he is sometimes willing to get his teammates involved, but he insists that the team revolve around him, not the other way around. This kind of formula sometimes works for a while, but the other guys on the team eventually get tired of his "star" act......and the same thing happens all over again.

People like O.J. Mayo and Zach Randolph may love Iverson at the start, but let's see what happens after half the season has gone by.

Iverson signing wityh the Grizzlies reminds me way too much of T.O. signing with Buffalo in the NFL. He's a huge name, and a tremendous talent, but his attitude and lack of teamwork has landed him in small-town America. I'm sure he'll put up numbers close to last season's, but I'm pretty sure we can all agree his best days are behind him. If this doesn't work out here, he might be done...

Allen Iverson is a piece of shit and Memphis is so fucking stupid it's unbelievable. You're trying to build a team with a solid foundation and you bring in a troubled Allen Iverson who is simply a ball hog and isn't a team player. I don't give a fuck if Iverson score forty points because to get those forty points he probably shot the ball 40 times. This is obviously a stupid move by Memphis, they brought in a self centered prick just to sell tickets. I hope he pisses off the youngins and they want out. Iverson should have stayed a free agent because he isn't a team player and at the age of 34 he is in no shape to take over a team and a basketball game.

King Beck-ah you are ridiculous!

Allen Iverson is still better than 90% of the people in the NBA and over the course of his career he has proven it time in and time. I am telling you, an Iverson that has something to prove is a special player and when he comes back this coming season he will prove all of you nay sayers and Kobe, Lebron, Dwayne dick riders wrong.

Allen Iverson is a piece of shit and Memphis is so fucking stupid it's unbelievable. You're trying to build a team with a solid foundation and you bring in a troubled Allen Iverson who is simply a ball hog and isn't a team player. I don't give a fuck if Iverson score forty points because to get those forty points he probably shot the ball 40 times. This is obviously a stupid move by Memphis, they brought in a self centered prick just to sell tickets. I hope he pisses off the youngins and they want out. Iverson should have stayed a free agent because he isn't a team player and at the age of 34 he is in no shape to take over a team and a basketball game.

Becker...You're missing something here. NO ONE can help the Grizz win games. They're not exactly competing with the Spurs or Celtics here. Of course they brought in AI to sell tickets, and get the team on some highlight reels. Without a pick-up like this, there's a pretty good chance they'd be sold and moved within a few years.

With the team that Memphis has, he'd be asked to shoot the ball 40 times anyway, so why complain that he needs that many shots to get 40? Just appreciate that he'll average 25-28 points a game, and take anything else as a gift.

King Beck-ah you are ridiculous!

Allen Iverson is still better than 90% of the people in the NBA and over the course of his career he has proven it time in and time. I am telling you, an Iverson that has something to prove is a special player and when he comes back this coming season he will prove all of you nay sayers and Kobe, Lebron, Dwayne dick riders wrong.

Prove who wrong? Both Wade and Bryant are proven winners in basketball today. Iverson is not. When AI went to the championship game the East was atrocious, and always lost to the tougher competition. Iverson is nothing but a loser who couldn't make a team better. In basketball today AI would be lucky to hold Kobe Bryants jock strap.

Becker...You're missing something here. NO ONE can help the Grizz win games. They're not exactly competing with the Spurs or Celtics here. Of course they brought in AI to sell tickets, and get the team on some highlight reels. Without a pick-up like this, there's a pretty good chance they'd be sold and moved within a few years.

With the team that Memphis has, he'd be asked to shoot the ball 40 times anyway, so why complain that he needs that many shots to get 40? Just appreciate that he'll average 25-28 points a game, and take anything else as a gift.

You're missing the point, Memphis is not building their team around Allen Iverson, they are attempting to build a team around there solid core of young players. Iverson hates this situation and has hated sharing shots his entire career. He'll bitch and start being stubborn like the asshole he is. You can't tell me Memphis is using AI as building block when they drafted people like Thabeet and Mayo and acquired other young players? This is a stupid move and is going to destroy the Memphis Grizzlies with his self centered attitude.

You're missing the point, Memphis is not building their team around Allen Iverson, they are attempting to build a team around there solid core of young players. Iverson hates this situation and has hated sharing shots his entire career. He'll bitch and start being stubborn like the asshole he is. You can't tell me Memphis is using AI as building block when they drafted people like Thabeet and Mayo and acquired other young players? This is a stupid move and is going to destroy the Memphis Grizzlies with his self centered attitude.

I understand they're trying to build a team, but during a re-build, it's usually pretty hard to butts in the seats. Look at your own Pittsburgh Pirates for further proof. Acquiring young talent is probably the most boring thing a team can do in the short term. How do you spice that up? Sign a big name "me-first" guy to keep around for half a season, and then when the younger guys are all established, you trade him at the deadline to a bubble team looking for that one last chip.

You trade Allen Iverson to another team? Hello, no one wanted him in the first place. If a contender wanted him he would have been signed already. I believe that's pretty easy to see. Also why would a contender trade a draft pick. that could possibly end up hurting them in a few years? That just doesn't make sense, also why would a contender take on a head case who has destroyed a few teams with his attitude? It doesn't make sense. Memphis is fucked and they will have AI until his contract ends or they get tired of his little shit and release him.

Horrible move for Memphis. All Iverson is going to do is hurt the development of Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo. Not only that but Iverson isn't exactly a great role model for these young players. In the short time he played for Detroit he was banned from two different casinos.

Iverson has never made anyone better. He's one of the most talented and toughest players in NBA history, but he's selfish. At this point in his career he isn't good enough to be that selfish player. Especially with talented young scorers like Mayo and Gay on the team.

Beyond stupid decision for Memphis to sign AI imo. How is a selfish player like Iverson going to help the development of the young gys like Conley, Gay and OJ Mayo??

So now they have a blackhole down low in Randolph and now they have added another in Iverson to the backcourt. Mayo and Gay wll both need to take their shots. I emean seriously how many basketballs are they going to be playing with?

If Iverson really wanted to be unslefish and was comfortable in coming of the bench then you would think that he would of went to one of the contendors. Nope I believe he has gone to Memphis as he sees a chance for him to get his name in lights and get another starting gig. Wont be long before he starts whinging that he should be starting over Conley and/or Mayo who are part of the future of that franchise.

Seriously Chris Wallace has no idea. This move along with getting a '20/10' they need in Randolph after you give away the franchises best player in Pau Gasol for free, madness.

I think Memphis is the perfect place for Allen Iverson. He'll get to be himself, while also contribute to an up and coming team. I'm 100% he's going to play well. Will they make the playoffs? Doubt it, they don't have a big man, but I think the signing of Iverson does put them in contention for that 8th spot.

Also, this is great for Memphis as well. From a business stand point, Iverson is still one of the most popular players in the NBA (hell, he even made the All-Star game last year because of the fans voting him in). Memphis has been dying for an established Superstar on their team, and now they finally have one.

And Iverson won't slow anyone's progress down; that's a load of bullshit. He's going to come in, kick some ass, and these younger guys like OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay will learn A LOT from him; from leadership to how to play well under pressure situations to toughness to work ethic. For those who think any different.... please, tell me, how's Andre Iguodala doing right now? Oh, that's right, he's currently on the verge of becoming one of the best shooting guards in the entire league. He didn't suffer at all while he was with Iverson, so why would Mayo and Gay?

All of you all are just hating! Iverson is still better than most players in the NBA and if he does start jacking up shots, then let him. Memphis was the second worse scoring team last year. I will say it again, second worse scoring team last year. Even with the, "talented young scorers in Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo!" They haven't proven shit!

You say that Iverson destroyed the Pistons? Hell no, the fucking spoiled ass Rip Hamilton and the rest of the Pistons destroyed the Pistons and they will be no better this year without AI. Why? Because they lost Billups! They could have brought in Bryant and they still wouldn't have played to the level that they were accustomed to because they didn't know how to play without Billups and if you can't see that then you all are really fucking blind. They said that they wanted Allen Iverson to be Allen Iverson when he signed. Well he started to try to be Allen Iverson they fucking freaked! At least now he is on a team that will let him be him and he will make this team better, no doubt in my mind.

BTW what teams did he destroy? in the 07 08 season, Denver was a 50 win team. 50! How is that destroying? They only won 4 more games this past season then they did the previous season. How is that destroying? The only reason that they were eliminated in the first round was because they faced the Lakers in the first round and the West was so tightly contested that season. If they had done the same this season, they would have been 3rd and I guarantee you that they would have went past the 1st round. So what teams did he destroy? He took a team full of second string players to the finals in 2001. Yes, everyone that started on that team, except for AI, was off the bench from another team, until they got Mutumbo after the All Star break, but they still went into the All Star break with the best record in the NBA! So what teams did he destroy? Pistons? They had already made up their minds that they weren't going to play with whoever it was, it just so happened that it was AI! So everybody can blame him for their horrible run. What about that shit coach that they had? Neither AI nor Hamilton should have been coming off the bench under Stuckey. That was bullshit! I don't care if he was trying to get built up or not. If you want to win, you don't worry about the development of your 2nd year point guard who really isn't that good to begin with. Oh yea, when Hamilton got injured there for a stretch, I seem to remember the Pistons going on an 8 game winning streak and beating the Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics, but AI had nothing to do with that, did he?

Stop hating on one of the best scorers in the history of the NBA. I can't wait until the season starts and AI shuts you all the fuck up!

All of you all are just hating! Iverson is still better than most players in the NBA and if he does start jacking up shots, then let him. Memphis was the second worse scoring team last year. I will say it again, second worse scoring team last year. Even with the, "talented young scorers in Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo!" They haven't proven shit!

Haven't proven shit? Let's see, Rudy Gay averaged 19 ppg last season and shot over 45% from the field. OJ Mayo as a rookie averaged 18.5 ppg and shot 44% from the field. Those are very good numbers for guys who are 23 and 21 years old. They've proven at there young age that they can be great players.
You say that Iverson destroyed the Pistons? Hell no, the fucking spoiled ass Rip Hamilton and the rest of the Pistons destroyed the Pistons and they will be no better this year without AI.

Spoiled ass Rip Hamilton? I think you are confused. See Rip is the guy who actually came off the bench without much complaining. He's the guy who continued to play well even though he didn't agree with what the team was doing. AI is the little bitch who cried when the Pistons decided to do what was best for the team and put Rip in the starting lineup. AI is the one who went public with the fact that he didn't want anything to do with coming off the bench. And AI is the one who was "sent home" because he was being detrimental to the team.

Why? Because they lost Billups! They could have brought in Bryant and they still wouldn't have played to the level that they were accustomed to because they didn't know how to play without Billups and if you can't see that then you all are really fucking blind.

Losing Billups was huge, but the Pistons still could have had a good season if Iverson just would have accepted his role as a Ben Gordon type bench player and scored close to 20 points off the bench.

BTW what teams did he destroy? in the 07 08 season, Denver was a 50 win team. 50! How is that destroying? They only won 4 more games this past season then they did the previous season. How is that destroying? The only reason that they were eliminated in the first round was because they faced the Lakers in the first round and the West was so tightly contested that season. If they had done the same this season, they would have been 3rd and I guarantee you that they would have went past the 1st round. So what teams did he destroy? He took a team full of second string players to the finals in 2001. Yes, everyone that started on that team, except for AI, was off the bench from another team, until they got Mutumbo after the All Star break, but they still went into the All Star break with the best record in the NBA! So what teams did he destroy? Pistons? They had already made up their minds that they weren't going to play with whoever it was, it just so happened that it was AI! So everybody can blame him for their horrible run. What about that shit coach that they had?

The only team he has ever destroyed is the Pistons, but he has never been able to take a team to the next level. He took the 76ers to the finals once in a very weak Eastern Conference and other then that he has never done anything note worthy. When he was finally given another star player in Carmelo Anthony he couldn't even get out of the first round. Then he was finally given a good all around team in Detroit and he took them from contenders to being the 8th seed in the East.

And Iverson won't slow anyone's progress down; that's a load of bullshit. He's going to come in, kick some ass, and these younger guys like OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay will learn A LOT from him; from leadership to how to play well under pressure situations to toughness to work ethic. For those who think any different.... please, tell me, how's Andre Iguodala doing right now? Oh, that's right, he's currently on the verge of becoming one of the best shooting guards in the entire league. He didn't suffer at all while he was with Iverson, so why would Mayo and Gay?

Iguodala averaged 8 points and 12 points per game in the two seasons he played with Iverson. As soon as Iverson left he went up to 18-19 points per game. If Iverson stayed in Philly I guarantee Iguodala would not be putting up the numbers he currently is.

They were that bad because they were young. They were attempting to make strides as a team. Young teams never come in and fully succeed. Both Portland and Atl had to take strides and they didn't become winners for several years. Mayo was a rookie and the only thing he could possibly prove was the ability to score points in the NBA at a young age. Which he did. And Gay is still young so he has to prove he can consistently score points in the NBA.
You say that Iverson destroyed the Pistons? Hell no, the fucking spoiled ass Rip Hamilton and the rest of the Pistons destroyed the Pistons and they will be no better this year without AI. Why? Because they lost Billups! They could have brought in Bryant and they still wouldn't have played to the level that they were accustomed to because they didn't know how to play without Billups and if you can't see that then you all are really fucking blind. They said that they wanted Allen Iverson to be Allen Iverson when he signed. Well he started to try to be Allen Iverson they fucking freaked! At least now he is on a team that will let him be him and he will make this team better, no doubt in my mind.
No, i'm pretty sure Iverson destroyed the Pistons. He was the one who got sent home for being detrimental to the team and he's the same whiny bitch who became a little whiny bitch because he didnt want to do whats best for the team and come off the bench.
BTW what teams did he destroy? in the 07 08 season, Denver was a 50 win team. 50! How is that destroying? They only won 4 more games this past season then they did the previous season. How is that destroying? The only reason that they were eliminated in the first round was because they faced the Lakers in the first round and the West was so tightly contested that season. If they had done the same this season, they would have been 3rd and I guarantee you that they would have went past the 1st round. So what teams did he destroy? He took a team full of second string players to the finals in 2001. Yes, everyone that started on that team, except for AI, was off the bench from another team, until they got Mutumbo after the All Star break, but they still went into the All Star break with the best record in the NBA! So what teams did he destroy? Pistons? They had already made up their minds that they weren't going to play with whoever it was, it just so happened that it was AI! So everybody can blame him for their horrible run. What about that shit coach that they had? Neither AI nor Hamilton should have been coming off the bench under Stuckey. That was bullshit! I don't care if he was trying to get built up or not. If you want to win, you don't worry about the development of your 2nd year point guard who really isn't that good to begin with. Oh yea, when Hamilton got injured there for a stretch, I seem to remember the Pistons going on an 8 game winning streak and beating the Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics, but AI had nothing to do with that, did he?
Like I said, the East was so weak that year, when they faced good competition they got pulverized....
Stop hating on one of the best scorers in the history of the NBA. I can't wait until the season starts and AI shuts you all the fuck up!
He's not even in the top 10 in all time scoring and I believe he isn't top 15. All the hatred AI gets is well deserved. He's a pompous, self centered jackass who only does whats best for him, not the people surrounding him. Have fun coming off the bench AI.

Big Sexy, you failed to address the horrible coach that the Pistons had, you know, the one that got fired! So why does all the blame go to AI? You also failed to address how the Pistons said, "We want Allen Iverson to be Allen Iverson!" When he attempted to be Allen Iverson, everyone threw a fucking fit. The wanted Allen Iverson to be Chauncy Billups, not Allen Iverson, because they couldn't play without Billups and they will do better this season.

Of course Iguodala was going to average more with AI gone, because, believe it or not, AI was still the focal point of their offense, so take him away and your next best offensive player will get more shots. Take Bryant away from LA and Odom and Gasol's averages will go up too. This goes for any team that as an All Star player on it. This was really a shit arguement. What happened when Brand went to the Sixers? Baby AI's average dropped again because Brand was now the focal point. It went back up when he got injured. He was trying to say that Baby AI wouldn't be as good as he is now without Iverson's help in the first place.

King Beck-ah, so you all would rather praise players like Kobe Bryant, an accused rapist, and Ron Artest, someone who went up into the stands and punched a fan in the face, someone who has a history of breaking television cameras and monitors? That makes sense.

Why do you all fail to address that shit coach that the Piston's had. Iverson or Hamiliton should have not have came off the bench for anybody else on that team because nobody else on that team was as good as they were. I agree with Iverson, he was by far the best player on that team so how was it best for him to come off the bench? You also fail to address how the Pistons said, "We AI to BE AI!" When he attempted to be AI everybody threw a shit fit because they wanted him to be Billups and they will be no better this season without Billups, I guarantee it.

And you're right, he isn't in the top ten in total points scored however among active players he is second and he has the third highest scoring avg for his career only behind Wilt Chamberlin and Michael Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back