• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NBA Playoffs Spam Discussion

Warriors have just been fucking off from the get go. Aside from Klay everyone's just missing shots they normally make.

Cav's going full court press throughout and slowing down the game on offence probably hurt the Warrior's rhythm.

James Jones and Deli played really hard on defence tonight.

Curry played like JR Smith tonight. Now for the Warriors to make adjustments to the Cavs full court press.

Refs are a disgrace. Make me sick. Draymond gets away with holding people down on jump balls. With a ref right under the action. Twice. In overtime of an NBA finals game. Lebron has two people hacking his body and arms on a drive. No call. In an NBA finals game. Unreal.

There were missed calls on both sides, god damn. Hopefully the refs clean it up for game 3. Haven't been a big fan of LeBron but I can't deny his greatness. If he wins this title, it might just cement him as one of the all time greats. The Warriors should be a bit concerned because the series could easily be 2-0 in favor of the Cavs. Don't think Steph stays in a slump though. He's the MVP for a reason. Great series so far.

Which isn't part of the criteria for regular season MVP decisions because...wait for it...the votes were decided before the performances you highlighted.
You cannot be this dense...

LeBron James didn't just suddenly become this valuable to the Cavaliers. He's been this valuable all along. The playoffs are only acting as a shining example of it. I do not understand why you are struggling so mightily with this rather simple concept.

You are generalizing what people vote the MVP based on.
Well, if it's not based on value brought to the team and it's not based on who the best player in the game is, then what exactly can it be based on which doesn't make it a complete joke?

Even healthy there were playing badly.
They were 34-10 after James returned from his roughly two week injury rest (on Jan 13), a .773 winning percentage. They were 19-19 when he returned. They won 12 of their first 13 games after he returned and went 1-7 during the time James sat out.

It would be nice if you'd at least check what you were saying before you said it.

It wasn't until the Cavs fixed their lack of rim protection and added another wing defender that the Cavs became great.
They traded for Smith and Shumpert and Mozgov on Jan 7. James didn't return healthy until Jan 13.

Yes Lebron is the best player, no one is disputing that. But Curry's improvement has transformed his team from good to elite.
And LeBron's presence transformed his team from below average to great.

See the difference?

Anthony Davis at the Pelicans bring more value to his team than any other player.
And yet, his team barely snuck into the playoffs and got demolished.

Curry sat out more 4th quarters than Lebron where he could have padded his stats more.
He averaged four less minutes a game. That's it.

Lebron plays powerforward at some points in most games
And he plays point forward and small forward...in other words, he's far more versatile both offensively and defensively...which is more valuable.

and is attacking closer to the basket. Deadre Jordan has a better FG% compared to Kyle Kover due to difference in positions and what they are asked to do. FG% comparisons isn't just raw numbers.
So because Curry isn't as good at creating shots in close, we should just give him a pass?

DeAndre Jordan requires someone to pass him the ball. LeBron James doesn't. That's a terrible example.

More people were talking about Curry's performance and Lebron's disappearance over the regular season.
Because Curry's points are flashy. LeBron's aren't. People love the 3pt basket. They're not quite so enamored with the 15 foot jumper or the fall away post shot.

Look up advanced stats.
I have.

Now you are using the injured excuse? Fatigued is the word you are looking for.
No, injured. Which is why he took two weeks off earlier this year, to deal with injuries.

And the Pelicans would not be a playoff team without Anthony Davis.
I agree. How does that change the fact the Warriors probably would be a playoff team without Curry but the Cavs wouldn't without James? And why do you keep bringing up Davis when he has nothing to do with this conversation?

Your argument is weak.
Says the person who keeps referring to a third player.

I'm sorry, but Durant won it last year.
Exactly my point.

Why would they be tired of Lebron winning this year?
Because LeBron winning another MVP isn't sexy. It's far more fun to give it to someone new.

The award has always been like this.
Oh, I know the award has always been ridiculous. Malone winning out over Jordan showed that to me at an early age.

Yes you are.
No, I am not. I just recognize we're watching probably the greatest basketball player ever and I'm not going to say stupid things like others do.

History has shown you blaming everyone for Lebron's teams not winning.
:lmao:

What? I don't even know where to begin with such a stupid comment. I put the blame for wins and losses where it belongs. I think you might have me confused with someone else.

You are the one unfairly critiszing the awarding of Curry's MVP because of your fanboyism.
No, I'm FAIRLY criticizing the awarding of Curry the MVP when LeBron is almost universally agreed to be the better basketball player and is the difference between a Cavs team who misses the playoffs and a Cavs team who has made it to the Finals.

Your argument that the MVP award should go to the best player only is weak.
Except that's not my argument and you're showing more dishonesty by trying to pass it off as my argument. My argument is that he's the best player AND he's more valuable to his team, as evidenced by the Cavs in the playoffs/finals and the Heat sitting at home.

You are just a salty fanboy.
I'm not a fanboy. And you're an idiot. You keep saying things which are provably false, because it's clear you're part of the "anybody but LeBron" bandwagon. And hey, that's fine if you want to mindlessly put down Lebron, you're far from the only one. It doesn't change the fact you're wrong and when you continue to make provably false statements, it just makes you look stupid.

Oh, and I didn't see the game last night, but reading the news article, it appeared that, once again, LeBron proved why he should have been MVP.

The NBA really needs to do something about that stupid fucking foul Steph Curry draws like, 12 times a game where he literally jumps into a defender after pump faking. He got two crucial free throws and sent JR Smith to the bench last night when all Smith did was go up in the air to try to block a shot. It's not his fault Steph Curry decided to fling himself at him.

MVP voting in most sports is screwed up. If they were really based on who is absolutely most crucial to their team, Peyton Manning would've won it the past 10 years or so. It's clear, as evidenced by his season out with injury, that without him the Colts were way below average. It's pretty much the same on the Broncos. The same goes for James.

I also feel that making the playoffs is far too much of a weight when deciding MVP. If James had identical stats he did during the regular season, but they missed the playoffs, he'd have been lower on the list of MVP voting. It's the main reason Russell Westbrook was never going to win it, even though they'd have been garbage without him this year. I do understand that one's ability to help their team make the playoffs increases their value, but saving your team from the cellar to making them playoff contenders has to make someone pretty valuable.

If MVP voting were truly based on a players value to their team, the only player besides James who should've had a chance was Westbrook. Curry had an outstanding year, but his team still would've been contenders without him most likely.

The NBA really needs to do something about that stupid fucking foul Steph Curry draws like, 12 times a game where he literally jumps into a defender after pump faking. He got two crucial free throws and sent JR Smith to the bench last night when all Smith did was go up in the air to try to block a shot. It's not his fault Steph Curry decided to fling himself at him.

Yeah Wade made that move popular. Not only that but Lebron did it too last night when Igoudala jumped up on a fake and Lebron threw an elbow into him (right around the groin area no less) and drew a fall.

You can't hate on the players for taking advantage of the rule however. It's why it's a fundamental teaching of the game to always keep your feet.

You cannot be this dense...

LeBron James didn't just suddenly become this valuable to the Cavaliers. He's been this valuable all along. The playoffs are only acting as a shining example of it. I do not understand why you are struggling so mightily with this rather simple concept.
And you cannot be this dense to realize you are bringing up performances after the award has been decided which is irrelevant in this conversation.

Well, if it's not based on value brought to the team and it's not based on who the best player in the game is, then what exactly can it be based on which doesn't make it a complete joke?
Both players added value tot he team. Lebron is the best player. Curry had the best season. The award is mostly based on the past regular season performances. I don't know why you can't seem to grasp that concept.

How is it a joke when majority of the voters were deciding between Harden and Curry for this season's MPV while recognizing that Lebron is still the best player?

They were 34-10 after James returned from his roughly two week injury rest (on Jan 13), a .773 winning percentage. They were 19-19 when he returned. They won 12 of their first 13 games after he returned and went 1-7 during the time James sat out.

It would be nice if you'd at least check what you were saying before you said it.
19-19 for a championship contender was an awful start. Being awful for 38 games out of a 82 game season. You can't blame all that on James being injured.

They traded for Smith and Shumpert and Mozgov on Jan 7. James didn't return healthy until Jan 13.
Most new players need time to adjust to a new team.

And LeBron's presence transformed his team from below average to great.

See the difference?
The team was underperforming rather than below average.

And yet, his team barely snuck into the playoffs and got demolished.
He's still young and his importance is already comparable to a young Lebron's to the Cavs a decade ago. Don't forget the West is far more competitive to get into the playoffs.

He averaged four less minutes a game. That's it.
Could have added a couple of more points to his average.

And he plays point forward and small forward...in other words, he's far more versatile both offensively and defensively...which is more valuable.
Nobody is disputing that Lebron is the best player here. You seem to think I think Lebron is some scrub. My argument with you is you are disregarding every other players claim to the MVP award just because Lebron is the best player.

So because Curry isn't as good at creating shots in close, we should just give him a pass?
No. Stating the difference in playing style result in different kind of shots.

DeAndre Jordan requires someone to pass him the ball. LeBron James doesn't. That's a terrible example.
The example is to show that you using FG% as a blanket comparison for players taking different type of shots is a terrible example.

Because Curry's points are flashy. LeBron's aren't. People love the 3pt basket. They're not quite so enamored with the 15 foot jumper or the fall away post shot.
You mean people aren't enamored with Lebron's dunks and athleticism? Now you are claiming Lebron's points aren't flashy? Seems like you are clutching at straws.

Yet you fail to see why Curry deserves the award this year.

No, injured. Which is why he took two weeks off earlier this year, to deal with injuries.

I agree. How does that change the fact the Warriors probably would be a playoff team without Curry but the Cavs wouldn't without James? And why do you keep bringing up Davis when he has nothing to do with this conversation?
You are assuming the Warriors would be a playoff team but the West is ultra competitive. Who knew an injury to Durant would cost OKC a spot in the playoffs? The Cavs would have made the playoffs even without James. Pretty sure a healthy Kevin Love and Kyrie duo can get more wins than the Nets this season. I brought up Davis because you said no other player bring more value to their team as James, which clearly is false.

Says the person who keeps referring to a third player.
Still doesn't disprove that your argument is weak.

Exactly my point.

Because LeBron winning another MVP isn't sexy. It's far more fun to give it to someone new.
Your point might sound credible if the past two winners didn't perform as well as they did.

Oh, I know the award has always been ridiculous. Malone winning out over Jordan showed that to me at an early age.
And that clouded your opinion on what the award should be about.
No, I am not. I just recognize we're watching probably the greatest basketball player ever and I'm not going to say stupid things like others do.
You are saying something rather stupid by saying Lebron should win the award over another player that outperformed him in the regular. Not Curry's or the voters fault that Lebron decided to coast for half the season. Lebron is that good that he can coast and still be in the MVP conversation.

:lmao:

What? I don't even know where to begin with such a stupid comment. I put the blame for wins and losses where it belongs. I think you might have me confused with someone else.
I still remember you blaming coach Spol whenever the Heat lose.

No, I'm FAIRLY criticizing the awarding of Curry the MVP when LeBron is almost universally agreed to be the better basketball player and is the difference between a Cavs team who misses the playoffs and a Cavs team who has made it to the Finals.
Lebron played hard for half the season and deserve to get the award over players that played for the full season?

Except that's not my argument and you're showing more dishonesty by trying to pass it off as my argument. My argument is that he's the best player AND he's more valuable to his team, as evidenced by the Cavs in the playoffs/finals and the Heat sitting at home.
By this logic James Harden would have a better claim than Lebron to the award. Oops, can't bring up a third player. You are penalizing Curry for being in a better team for the award. Another dumb thing to say.

I'm not a fanboy. And you're an idiot. You keep saying things which are provably false, because it's clear you're part of the "anybody but LeBron" bandwagon. And hey, that's fine if you want to mindlessly put down Lebron, you're far from the only one. It doesn't change the fact you're wrong and when you continue to make provably false statements, it just makes you look stupid.
I didn't put Lebron down. You are the one discrediting the accomplishments of another player to prop up the target of your fanboysim. Your point is nobody but Lebron deserves the MVP award because he is the best player. That is just idiotic when clearly Durant and Curry had seasons that were comparable to Lebron's the years they won it.

Oh, and I didn't see the game last night, but reading the news article, it appeared that, once again, LeBron proved why he should have been MVP.
How is one game or one series proof that he should have been MVP of an award based on 82 games?

Yeah I hate that too. But it's in the rules and players will abuse it.

And you cannot be this dense to realize you are bringing up performances after the award has been decided which is irrelevant in this conversation.
And...I'm done with this nonsense. I'm not, nor have I ever, said James performance in the playoffs should be retroactively applied to MVP voting. You've made that up, as you've made up many other things. My point, as I've made it multiple times, is quite clear to anyone interested in honest discussion.

If you'd like me to respond to anything else you've said, have the intellectual honesty to address what I've actually said, not the stupid things you keep claiming I've said.
MVP voting in most sports is screwed up.
It is. MVP voting has no criteria because those who vote for MVP don't want to be held accountable for their vote. They want to vote for whomever they simply happen to like best, within reason. If the award is not given to the best player and it's not given to one who means the most to any team he plays on, then what exactly is the award about?

At this point, in most sports, the MVP seems to be the "best player on a high performing team who we aren't tired of seeing win accolades yet".
Either the NBA or the college game was supposed to have a rule change this season to eliminate this. But I've seen it in both college and NBA, so I'm not sure how well it's been enforced.

The whole deal with Curry jumping into the defender to draw a foul is pretty much in the same light of the Dez Bryant non catch in January, the rule is ridiculous but it's still the rule in the books. I didn't like the non catch in January but the rule book dictates that it wasn't a catch, I don't like that Curry jumps into the defender to draw a foul but I can't blame him for exposing the rule to his advantage.

The MVP voting does seem a little random at times, as much as I got to give a nod to Stephen Curry this year he wasn't MVP in my eyes. For myself at least, the award is called "Most Valuable Player", not "Player of the year" so in my eyes the award should go to the player that contributed most to their teams success. Because of that guys like Westbrook and Davis shouldn't be winning it because even though their teams would be a million times worse without them, their team isn't good enough with them to justify giving them the award. Curry had a great year and his team had the best record, but I don't think his team needed him as bad as Houston needs Harden or Cleveland needs LeBron and considering how shitty Cleveland is without James, he should've been MVP. The fact is Cleveland looks like a championship contender with LeBron but without LeBron they don't even look like a playoff contender. Forget points, forget stats, forget all of that, it all comes down to the simple fact Cleveland looks amazing with LeBron and shit without him.

Lastly I've been loving how entertaining the 1st 2 games were these finals. I still gotta go with Golden State, I just think it's too much of an uphill battle for Cleveland to overcome not having Love or Irving to support LeBron but Cleveland is giving them one hell of a fight and for a team that could've easily rolled over and died 2 rounds ago has been downright inspirational in how they've handled the plethora of raw deals they've been handed. I don't like Cleveland at all but there is a small part of me that's hoping they can pull this off just for the hardships they've had to deal with.

They want to vote for whomever they simply happen to like best, within reason.

Really? The voters are such empty voids of humanity that despite their basketball knowledge that they spend their lives making a living on, they vote on their favorite.

....within reason.

Is the average age of the voters eight?

And...I'm done with this nonsense. I'm not, nor have I ever, said James performance in the playoffs should be retroactively applied to MVP voting. You've made that up, as you've made up many other things. My point, as I've made it multiple times, is quite clear to anyone interested in honest discussion.
You brought up Lebron's playoff performances as justification for why it was a sham he didn't win the award. I didn't make that up. You are retroactively applying what he did after the award was decided to push his claim over other players.

If you'd like me to respond to anything else you've said, have the intellectual honesty to address what I've actually said, not the stupid things you keep claiming I've said.
Classic Slyfox. Can't see past his own hubris.

Really? The voters are such empty voids of humanity that despite their basketball knowledge that they spend their lives making a living on, they vote on their favorite.

....within reason.

Is the average age of the voters eight?

I mean, one of them voted Carmelo over Lebron to keep Lebron from being the first unanimous MVP. You decide.

There was talk about Deion Sanders not being a first ballot Hall of Famer because the writers didn't like him due to him being dicks to them during his playing days. Sports writers are bitches.

I mean, one of them voted Carmelo over Lebron to keep Lebron from being the first unanimous MVP. You decide.

Maybe he thought Melo was more valuable to that Knicks team than Lebron is to the Heat?

Like say that Heat team would have been a playoff team without Lebron but that Knicks team would have missed the playoffs without Melo. ;)

Win or lose what LeBron has done in these playoffs is absolutely remarkable. He is without two all star teammates and still carrying the team to within 3 wins of a title. If Irving and Love were both playing and relatively healthy, the Cavs may have swept the Warriors.

Iman Shumpert and JR Smith still need to step up for Cleveland. Shumpert tweaked his ankle in game 2 so that likely led to his poor play, but he needs to defend better and start making more of his open looks. JR Smith played like he was back in a Knicks uniform last night. Awful at both ends of the court.

Tristan Thompson continues to be a beast on the boards, Dellavadova makes every hustle play and has been great defensively, and Mozgov has been Cleveland's second best offensive player this series (not counting Kyrie who was great in game one before his injury).

Maybe he thought Melo was more valuable to that Knicks team than Lebron is to the Heat?

Like say that Heat team would have been a playoff team without Lebron but that Knicks team would have missed the playoffs without Melo. ;)

Nah. Just an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back