• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NBA Playoffs Spam Discussion

Chicago's issue is offence before this past season. Mark Jackson is hardly the coach to improve in that department. They just let go of one coach that butted heads with the main office, I doubt they want to hire another one with a history of butting head with the GM office so soon.

Chicago's issue is offence before this past season. Mark Jackson is hardly the coach to improve in that department. They just let go of one coach that butted heads with the main office, I doubt they want to hire another one with a history of butting head with the GM office so soon.
Very true. One of the leading candidates the Bulls want to interview is Alvin Gentry, who is Steve Kerr's assistant coach. I remember Gentry's coaching in Phoenix, it was a very up and down tempo that he liked to play. Something tells me that the Bulls defense won't be affected that much if they hired an offensive minded coach. When you have Noah, Butler, and Gibson, those guys preach defense all day. Will be interesting to see what direction they go in for sure.

Does anyone else feel like the NBA should maybe look into somehow reshaping their season? The first and second round of the playoffs were great, but the semi-finals, especially in the East, are being defined by the injuries. The Hawks lost one of their best players, had another one playing injured. The Cavs were already playing without Love and then Irving was banged up too. The playoffs should be about the best teams playing the best teams, not a shadows playing shadows.

Now I'm not suggesting I know what the NBA should do to try and prevent an injury surge during the playoffs, but hopefully they can come up with something.

Irving made a great block though. Curry was almost too casual there.

Game 1 has been just as expected going into overtime now. Iso-James + offensive rebounds vs ball movement.

Both can get the job done.

Man those first four quarters.

What a fucking game regardless. Golden State is just too deep benchwise.

I think Lebron gassed at the end of the game, which I don't blame him at all. He basically played ISO the entire second half.

I really hope Kyrie is ok. He's a great player and I want these teams squaring off in as close to top form as possible.

Holy hell, this game was awesome. Gotta give Lebron all the credit in the world. He was basically the entire Cavs offense. JR Smith was off this game, Kyrie got hurt, and Mozgov scored off Lebron's iso. Also gotta give credit to Iguodala who I believe did a very good job on Lebron despite Lebron scoring 44. Barnes did well too. The Warriors' bench saved them this game but I think they'll take game 2 easily. I don't think Lebron shoots that well in game 2 and Kyrie looks to be done. I hope Kyrie is back though. Like Ty, I want to see these two teams face each other at full strength. Yes, I know Love is out but the Cavs have been better defensively without him anyway.

Lebron's 3 point percentage this playoff has been atrocious. Nobody is going to guard him that hard above the 3 point line. So he has to settle for mid range 2 when he isn't posting up. Every good defence would be willing to give up that shot to him.

The Warriors aren't doubling him and staying home on the shooters. They are daring Lebron to beat them by scoring 40+ points and 6 assist a game instead of 25+points and 10+ assists.

Doubling LeBron these playoffs has been a death sentence for any team playing Cleveland. LeBron has gotten so much better on that front and he has no problem dumping the ball to guys like Smith and Shumpert when they are left wide open. The smartest thing a team could do at this point is to keep the double/triple teaming on LeBron to a minimum.

As good as LeBron is he can't just win the title by himself, not this year, not any year, he needs the help of his teammates. The beauty of having guys like LeBron is because they almost command teams to put on extra guys on him when he has the ball, if they don't do that then the team around LeBron is going to be much less productive offensively which now makes it much harder on LeBron and Cleveland to win games.

Golden State did a good job of that last night, if they stay the course and just keep one defender on LeBron as much as possible then they should have no problems winning the title this year.

I think last night proved what a sham it was LeBron was not named the league MVP. It was LeBron, an injured Irving, and a bunch of guys no one else really wants and the Cavs still took the game into overtime on the road.

LeBron is the best player in the world. He's the MVP of any team he's on and he should have been the MVP of the league. Him not winning MVP is just as laughable as Jordan losing out to Malone.

Irving has a broken kneecap and is out 3-4 months.

If Cleveland was in trouble before, they're in big trouble now.

After that news Cleveland is boned. Even with a healthy Irving this series was an uphill battle for Cleveland, without him it's pretty much a lost cause.

If they somehow find a way to win that would pretty much make LeBron the GOAT.

Shame about Irving. As soon as he came out in Game 1, I knew it was bad news for the Cavs. Even if he was able to come back, he might've done more bad than good. Carroll gave it a try for the Hawks but he didn't look like the same player. I hope Irving recovers and is at 100% next season. He's a damn good player and is probably only one of two players, Chris Paul being the other, that matches Curry's ball handling skills.

Wouldn't be surprised if this series ended in a sweep. But Lebron probably won't make that happen. Let's see the adjustments Blatt makes for game 2.

I think last night proved what a sham it was LeBron was not named the league MVP. It was LeBron, an injured Irving, and a bunch of guys no one else really wants and the Cavs still took the game into overtime on the road.

LeBron is the best player in the world. He's the MVP of any team he's on and he should have been the MVP of the league. Him not winning MVP is just as laughable as Jordan losing out to Malone.

Curry is a deserving MVP this year. The difference in his team's performance when he is on the court and when he is on the bench is very significant throughout the season, which is surprising because his team is that good and that deep.

Don't let your fanboyism cloud your judgement of the MVP race. Lebron is the best player, nobody doubts that. But Curry was the best performer this season.

Curry is a deserving MVP this year. The difference in his team's performance when he is on the court and when he is on the bench is very significant throughout the season
As opposed to LeBron, who was not only the best player in the league but has taken an injured Kyrie and a bunch of guys no one really wants to the NBA Finals?

which is surprising because his team is that good and that deep.
Take Curry off Golden State and they still are likely to be a serious playoff contender. Take LeBron off the Cavs and they finish 16 games below .500.

Don't let your fanboyism cloud your judgement of the MVP race.
I'm not. LeBron averaged more points, had roughly the same FG% and assist rate, a full rebound and a half better per game and took a team which finished 16 games under .500 to the playoffs, while the team he previously took to four straight NBA Finals didn't even make the playoffs.

The idea LeBron is not the MVP of the league every year is just as ridiculous as it was when Michael wasn't the MVP when Malone won. It wasn't about finding the most valuable player OR the best player...it was simply about finding the next best player after LeBron.

Lebron is the best player, nobody doubts that. But Curry was the best performer this season.
Based on what? LeBron fatigue? Because that's the only reason Curry won the MVP.

As opposed to LeBron, who was not only the best player in the league but has taken an injured Kyrie and a bunch of guys no one really wants to the NBA Finals?
The MVP is for regular season performance. I don't know why you bring up Lebron's playoff performances.

Take Curry off Golden State and they still are likely to be a serious playoff contender. Take LeBron off the Cavs and they finish 16 games below .500.
Even with Lebron they were 1 game below .500 until the mid season trade. You are clearly underestimating the value of Curry bringing a good team to elite level.

I'm not. LeBron averaged more points, had roughly the same FG% and assist rate, a full rebound and a half better per game and took a team which finished 16 games under .500 to the playoffs, while the team he previously took to four straight NBA Finals didn't even make the playoffs.

The idea LeBron is not the MVP of the league every year is just as ridiculous as it was when Michael wasn't the MVP when Malone won. It wasn't about finding the most valuable player OR the best player...it was simply about finding the next best player after LeBron.
Curry would have averaged more points if teams didn't get blown out by the Warriors. Curry shoots more jump shots than Lebron, so the FG% is not a fair comparison. Even so, if you look at advanced stats for FG% Curry blows away most competition that takes the same volume of shots. Lebron included.

Why is it ridiculous that Lebron didn't win the MVP this year when Curry clearly outshone him? Lebron had an off-year this year. Curry was consistently great for most of the season. Are we going to ignore the 19-20 start by the Cavs with Lebron in it?

Based on what? LeBron fatigue? Because that's the only reason Curry won the MVP.
Go look up the +/- of the warriors team with Curry on and off the bench. The reason Curry won was because his team has the best record. He had a career year. His presence changed the opposing team's game plan much like how Lebron made teams change their game plan.

Seriously why the need to put down Curry just to prop up the target of your fanboyism? Both are great players, Curry simply was better in the regular season this year.

The MVP is for regular season performance. I don't know why you bring up Lebron's playoff performances.
To demonstrate the value he brings to the team.

If the MVP is for season performance, then Steph Curry should not have won. But people vote MVP based on value to the team...and showing LeBron taking a depleted Cavs team to the NBA Finals demonstrates the value of LeBron to the Cavs.

Even with Lebron they were 1 game below .500 until the mid season trade.
LeBron wasn't healthy. Once LeBron was healthy, the Cavs were powerful. Which, once again, demonstrates the value of LeBron.

You are clearly underestimating the value of Curry bringing a good team to elite level.
No, I'm saying LeBron is the best player in the league and no one brings more value to a club than he does.

Curry would have averaged more points if teams didn't get blown out by the Warriors.
:lmao:

Okay.

Curry shoots more jump shots than Lebron, so the FG% is not a fair comparison.

How does that make sense at all?

Why is it ridiculous that Lebron didn't win the MVP this year when Curry clearly outshone him?
Because he didn't.

Lebron had an off-year this year.
And still had stats every bit as good as Curry's, if not better.

Curry was consistently great for most of the season. Are we going to ignore the 19-20 start by the Cavs with Lebron in it?
LeBron was injured. And still put up great stats.

Everyone keeps saying LeBron is clearly the best player in the league. The Cavs were not a playoff team without him. So it makes no sense how the best player in the league who obviously means so much to his team isn't the most valuable player.

It just clearly shows people are tired of LeBron winning and want anyone else to be the MVP. We saw it with Michael Jordan and we see it again this year.

The reason Curry won was because his team has the best record.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it makes the award a joke if this is the rationale.

He had a career year.
So because he didn't play as well as LeBron the last few years, he should get the award this year because he almost did this year?

Seriously why the need to put down Curry
Who is putting down Curry? I'm just saying he's not as valuable to the Warriors as LeBron is to the Cavaliers. And since everyone seems to agree LeBron is the best player in the world, it makes no sense to me how someone who brings so much to every team he plays on and is the best player in the world is not the MVP every year.

just to prop up the target of your fanboyism?
I think it's funny how you keep using that term, as if it's remotely true. I'm not a LeBron fanboy, I'm just not one of those stupid people who criticize him unfairly.

Both are great players
Agree.
Curry simply was better in the regular season this year.
Except he wasn't AND he had a better team around him.

Curry beating Lebron for MVP is fine. It isn't an award for best basketball player. It is an award for performance over the full regular season. Neither guy set himself apart individually with their statistics. At that point it makes sense to look at things like wins and especially quality wins. Throw in that Curry played in eleven more games and didn't have hostility with his coach and picking Curry over Lebron for the '14-'15 MVP makes total sense.

But yes, Lebron is the best basketball player in the world right now.

To demonstrate the value he brings to the team.
Which isn't part of the criteria for regular season MVP decisions because...wait for it...the votes were decided before the performances you highlighted.

If the MVP is for season performance, then Steph Curry should not have won. But people vote MVP based on value to the team...and showing LeBron taking a depleted Cavs team to the NBA Finals demonstrates the value of LeBron to the Cavs.
If you want to pick a player that carried a depleted team deep into the playoffs based on regular season performance, James Harden would have been a better pick.

You are generalizing what people vote the MVP based on. Also, you are again bringing up playoff performances into a regular season award.

LeBron wasn't healthy. Once LeBron was healthy, the Cavs were powerful. Which, once again, demonstrates the value of LeBron.
Even healthy there were playing badly. It wasn't until the Cavs fixed their lack of rim protection and added another wing defender that the Cavs became great.

No, I'm saying LeBron is the best player in the league and no one brings more value to a club than he does.
Yes Lebron is the best player, no one is disputing that. But Curry's improvement has transformed his team from good to elite.

Anthony Davis at the Pelicans bring more value to his team than any other player.

Okay.

How does that make sense at all?
Curry sat out more 4th quarters than Lebron where he could have padded his stats more. Lebron plays powerforward at some points in most games and is attacking closer to the basket. Deadre Jordan has a better FG% compared to Kyle Kover due to difference in positions and what they are asked to do. FG% comparisons isn't just raw numbers.

Because he didn't.
More people were talking about Curry's performance and Lebron's disappearance over the regular season.

And still had stats every bit as good as Curry's, if not better.
Look up advanced stats.

LeBron was injured. And still put up great stats.
Now you are using the injured excuse? Fatigued is the word you are looking for.

Everyone keeps saying LeBron is clearly the best player in the league. The Cavs were not a playoff team without him. So it makes no sense how the best player in the league who obviously means so much to his team isn't the most valuable player.
And the Pelicans would not be a playoff team without Anthony Davis. Your argument is weak. Again the criteria for MVP over the regular season differs from voters to voters. Some view it as an award for the best performer, not the best player.

It just clearly shows people are tired of LeBron winning and want anyone else to be the MVP. We saw it with Michael Jordan and we see it again this year.
I'm sorry, but Durant won it last year. Why would they be tired of Lebron winning this year? When clearly his team didn't perform as well as Curry's and Curry was just as valuable to his team as Lebron is to his?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it makes the award a joke if this is the rationale.
The award has always been like this. Great players having great seasons with a great narrative. I guess that makes Lebron's MVP awards a joke as well since there were times other players were more valuable to their teams than Lebron. Just because you want what the award to represent doesn't it has to be that.

So because he didn't play as well as LeBron the last few years, he should get the award this year because he almost did this year?
No. He had a great season and his team had a great season therefore he is a deserving winner.

Who is putting down Curry? I'm just saying he's not as valuable to the Warriors as LeBron is to the Cavaliers. And since everyone seems to agree LeBron is the best player in the world, it makes no sense to me how someone who brings so much to every team he plays on and is the best player in the world is not the MVP every year.
Again go look up advanced stats and tell me Curry isn't as valuable to the Warriors. The issue is with you and not the award if you are the one that can't make sense of the award.

I think it's funny how you keep using that term, as if it's remotely true. I'm not a LeBron fanboy, I'm just not one of those stupid people who criticize him unfairly.
Yes you are. History has shown you blaming everyone for Lebron's teams not winning. I am not critisizing Lebron. You are the one unfairly critiszing the awarding of Curry's MVP because of your fanboyism.

Except he wasn't AND he had a better team around him.
Again go look up advanced stats. So you are penalizing Curry for making his team better? Does that mean Lebron shouldn't win those MVPs when he had Wade and Bosh with him?

Face it. Your argument that the MVP award should go to the best player only is weak. Let's say Lebron played half a season and put up great stats, shoudl he win the MVP award?

Curry was a deserving winner this year. You are just a salty fanboy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back