• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nasty Boys Wrestlemania VII

Moneyinc

Occasional Pre-Show
What the hell happened here? Was Vince just trying to get Bret's solo career going or what? The Hart Foundation was seriously over with the fans. I know Nasty Boys were a legit Tag Team but Hart Foundation were damn near the best.

You guys are always good at giving the back stories, if there even is one at all. Where was Legion of Doom? Where was Money InC?(not sure that they were formed yet). Were Nasty Boys just the best choice if Vince had already decided Bret was going solo? Haha the Nasty's celebration with all the different guys Jimmy Hart manages was pretty great though.

And on a side note, the crowd at Wrestlemania 7 during the undercard especially is seriously hot. Rockers beating Haku and Barbarian with a great finisher and the crowd went wild first match. Then Davey Boy slamming The Warlord...I'm watching Nasty's and Hart Foundation now and this is about as good as it gets for tag team action. Always was dissapointed/shocked that Nasty Boys pulled it out. Still got Warrior Vs Macho and Hogan Vs Slaughter? One of the best Manias ever as far as complete card goes.

WM 7 is one of my personal favorites. I had a recorded copy on VHS as a kid that I watched all the time.

I think you answered your own question though; they wanted to break The Hart Foundation up and start Bret's would-be successful single's career. If I remember right Neidhart's body was banged up and he was wanting a lighter schedule so the timing was just right. There aren't many teams that have the credentials of the Hart Foundation so it's not like they were going to accomplish much more; if anything if they had stayed together they would have lost the opportunity to branch Bret off and cash in on their success in that role.

Well, i think a reason why Hart Foundation lost was to kick start Brets solo career.. But I also don't understand why Nasty Boys were the pick to take the tag titles.. Whilst it was a good match as well, Demolition, Legion of Doom, Rockers were all involved in their own matches.. Oh well, it seems like it was a decent business move..

They had a decent run with the titles only to lose them to Legion of Doom at SummerSlam..

They had aborted a split the previous year when they "lost" the belts to the Rockers, Vince was keen to move Bret into the singles picture and according to Bret's book there were issues between Vince and Neidhart from a loan made to cover legal costs. Neidhart was gone and then was back, hence the flip-flop on the belts.

As for why the Nasty's got the nod, it was a way to set up the LOD for the titles, as they were over as faces and a feud with The Rockers wouldn't have been good in the ring. The Nasty's and LOD had fought before in WCW/JCP and had chemistry.

yes this has been answered pretty much by the above. The belts were switched to the Nastys as transitional champs to set them up for the LOD. Bret was ready to be pushed in single, thus the IC Belt win 4 months later at Summerslam 1991. Neidhart was always going to fall by the wayside(does anybody remember the masked character Who?????)

they wouldn't do LOD vs The Hart Foundation cause that woulda been Face vs Face at Mania which to that date had only happened between Hogan and The Warrior. and the storyline was Jimmy Hart was still after years trying to screw the Hart Foundation for abandoning him and ofcourse they were the champs and he wanted that championship back in his stable, Nasty Boys were his choice. WrestleMania 7 was a lame PPV anyway other then Savage vs Warrior, seemed really thrown together at the last minute which i guess it was as they had to move locations due to a possible attack or something

Not sure what the question was originally though. Are you saying that the Nastys shouldn't have been in the match or that they shouldn't have won?

The Nasty Boys are currently one of the more underrated teams in history due to the negative view on their relationship with Hogan.

The move to have the Nasty Boys win the belts from Hart Foundation actually turned out to be great though. Summerslam 91 was a loaded card. Perfect vs. Hart was a classic and WWE loves to show it over and over again. Nasty Boys vs. LOD was awesome. In fact I would say that it was the best match the Nasty Boys had in WWF and probably top 5 for LOD in WWF. Overall, the win by the Nasty Boys at Wrestlemania VII was a huge set up for the next Pay-Per-View. These big picture type build-ups are something WWE of today should really work on cause they nailed it back then.

The question has been answered pretty well, and I just wanted to add that at the time I was also disappointed The Nasty Boys won. I also agree that they have been a pretty underrated team as their title win lead to a really good match with LOD where LOD took the titles. Those two teams matched up pretty well. The poster that said they were still going with Jimmy hart trying to screw The Hart Foundation was right on too. That had been going on for quite a while, and yes I still wish we saw stories of that length go on today.

What the hell happened here? Was Vince just trying to get Bret's solo career going or what? The Hart Foundation was seriously over with the fans. I know Nasty Boys were a legit Tag Team but Hart Foundation were damn near the best.

Yes, it was time for Bret to go solo. WrestleMania VII was the last time The Hart Foundation wrestled together as a regular tag team. The Hitman and Anvil went on a brief singles run in 1989 but returned to teaming together in 1990. The company obviously saw potential in Bret as a singles wrestler and after six years it was time the split the team.

You guys are always good at giving the back stories, if there even is one at all. Where was Legion of Doom? Where was Money InC?(not sure that they were formed yet). Were Nasty Boys just the best choice if Vince had already decided Bret was going solo? Haha the Nasty's celebration with all the different guys Jimmy Hart manages was pretty great though.

Money Inc was about a year away. The timing wasn't quite right for LOD. They were better just going against heels. I'm a little surprised it wasn't The Rockers. They won the belts from the Harts at a non televised event in the fall of 1990 but the top rope came off during the match making it impossible to work properly. The match never aired and the title change was ignored. I figured if the company wanted the belts on the Rockers at that time why not just do the match over another time. WrestleMania seemed like the perfect time.

It wasn't until years later that I learned about the Rockers match so they didn't cross my mind as potential challengers at WM7. I was hoping for Power & Glory. That seemed like a good match and I thought Power & Glory would have made better champions. Instead they got squashed in less than a minute by LOD at mania. I can't say for sure why the Nasty Boys were chosen. I remember thinking it was a little odd at the time because they were so new to the company. Maybe Hulk Hogan had a little influence on that decision or maybe the company just liked what they saw in them.

And on a side note, the crowd at Wrestlemania 7 during the undercard especially is seriously hot. Rockers beating Haku and Barbarian with a great finisher and the crowd went wild first match. Then Davey Boy slamming The Warlord...I'm watching Nasty's and Hart Foundation now and this is about as good as it gets for tag team action. Always was dissapointed/shocked that Nasty Boys pulled it out. Still got Warrior Vs Macho and Hogan Vs Slaughter? One of the best Manias ever as far as complete card goes.

One of my all time favorite manias and it is terribly underrated. I've said it a million times, if this event took place outdoors in the Los Angeles Coliseum in front of nearly 100,000 people it would be remembered as a top five mania.

This match was amazing. They Nasty Boys get somewhat of a bum rap. But they bumped all over for the Hart Foundation and pretty much made everyone they worked with look like a million bucks. I for one think they are one of the best tag teams of all time.

This match was amazing. They Nasty Boys get somewhat of a bum rap. But they bumped all over for the Hart Foundation and pretty much made everyone they worked with look like a million bucks. I for one think they are one of the best tag teams of all time.

No question. Everywhere they went they got over and they helped other teams get over. I really enjoyed their work in WCW in the 90s and there is no question that they were over there as well as the WWF. I think there is a good case to be made that they are the second best team of the 90s in the United States behind the Steiner Brothers. (I don't think the Hart Foundation ranks because they were split by 91)

The Road Warriors were a good team, but their heyday was the 80s. By the 90s they were dealing with injuries and personal demons that really slowed their work down when they were able to both be gainfully employed together.

This was part of the "Bret/Shawn" stuff that they alluded to but never really discussed in their DVD. In Bret's book he states that the main reason the Rocker's were going over was cos Neidhart hadn't paid Vince back money he owed him so it looked like he was leaving to avoid paying it and by the time they could reschedule the Rocker's match, Neidhart was staying and it made no sense then to lose the titles at that time as they'd already positioned Big Bossman to face Hennig at Mania, the main reason for the split. They had also begun to look at Shawn AND Marty as singles guys too, at one time Marty was considered to be the next breakout star until their match at Rumble 93 where they added Sherri at the last moment, ruining a match that had been setting houses on fire for a month prior. Marty's shoots on this are very enlightening as to how much of a dick Shawn could be back then...

As for other teams, yeah Money Inc was a way aways, as IRS only debuted on PPV at Summerslam 91 in fact, that period was perhaps the end of the tag division in it's classic iteration as we then got a lot of bespoke teams, often "thrown together"... at first they had gimmicks but soon that ended so for every Money Inc, Natural Disasters, Power & Glory, we soon got Jannetty and The Kid and their ilk.

I can't figure out why they didn't let the Rockers beat the Harts at Rumble in 91 for the titles and let them do the job to Nastys at WM VII. This would have A) Given us a classic Rockers-Harts PPV match, 2) Given Bret a solo slot at WM VII vs (Anvil, Dibeosi, Tornado, Warlord, etc) just to give him a win to get a solo push going. Either way, Nastys were transitional champs and I actually enjoy them capuring the titles at Mania but I wish it would have been the Rockers they defeated and therefor VII could have given us a Bret-Anvil match.

... Neidhart was staying and it made no sense then to lose the titles at that time as they'd already positioned Big Bossman to face Hennig at Mania, the main reason for the split. They had also begun to look at Shawn AND Marty as singles guys too ...

I'm sorry, but what did the Big Boss Man and Curt Hennig have to do with Jim Neidhart staying with Bret Hart in a team for a little while longer, until losing the belts to the Nasty Boys at Wrestlemania VII? I'm not sure I follow, but I'm not necessarily disagreeing either.

Edit: I had watched pretty much all of the episodes of WWF Superstars from January 1991 to the second week of May 1991, about one and a half years ago to two years ago during 2011, and they were downloaded as a digital form and burned on DVD-Rs, being compressed extractions from WWE on Demand. I later realized, after seeing a browsing through the first episode of WWF Monday Night Raw from 1993 that the versions on demand were usually edited so much that matches were often completely left out.

Did I miss some instances of Big Boss Man and Curt Hennig tagging as a team on even a small semi-regular basis like two or three weeks in a month? Were Hart and Neidhart expected to lose the belts to two random wrestlers from the Heenan family?

The Nasty Boys were a great tag team during their WWF run, and deserved a transitional run with the Tag Team titles. Hart was going on his own and it was a heel transition to let LOD have their much deserved run with the Tag titles.

Knobbs and Saggs weren't world changers, but they were over as a great heel tag team both in WCW and the WWF. And with Jimmy Hart as their mouthpiece and manager, it made for a perfect transitional heel tag team to beat the Hart Foundation and let Bret Hart go into singles glory.

WM 7 would have been the perfect time to have the Hart Foundation/Rockers tag title match. No telling how great that match could have been if given the proper time.

I remember watching the tag team battle royal on Superstars and really thought it was going to be LOD vs Hart Foundation, which also would have been great. Instead, they go with the Nasties. I was pissed about it then and I'm pissed about it now lol.

Some of the match making in the early 90s, especially with all the talent they had, blows my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back