• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movie Review Thread

Updated from 14/5/2010

Hated is probably my favourite documentary about mental illness. It's a narrow field, I know, narrower than it should be, but I stand by this: Messing with shit on camera is awesome.

Spanking The Monkey didn't have as much mother fucking as I'd hoped. I haven't looked on imdb or anything, but the mother was in Masters Of The Universe, I'm sure of it.

I was reading a book about Don Simpsong called High Concept, it's pretty awful. It's as much about listing random drugs that I've never heard of as it is talking about fucking prostitutes and having collagen injected into a penis. But anyway, I decided to watch Days Of Thunder so I could get to know the real Don Simpson. It was enjoyable and I can honestly say that I didn't watch it because I created a mini-tournament in which I collected all the Don Simpson DVD's I hadn't watched yet and DOT happened to win.

Child abuse, big fat black people, why didn't I like Precious more?

You might wonder how I managed to fit in 8 films in one day on the 31st May. I just had nothing on.

The Road book > The Road film.

I think the reason I didn't like Save The Last Dance 2 was because I wasn't fully aware of what happened in the first one and not because it's shit.

I thought the original Fun With Dick & Jane was great, but I'm certain I'm wrong on that one.

Child abuse, Brian Cox, why didn't I like L.I.E. more?

Steven segal film of the update? Tough call, Under Siege got the highest score, but I think that's more for nostalgia reasons than anything. Personallly I think Kill Switch is one of his best DTV offerings to date. I had a look on YouTube for this one particular scene (not there), it lasts about an hour, and it's new for a Seagal film because it's a bar fight. It's the most ridiculous/ridiculously entertaining fight in cinema history. How come his stand in doesn't get a supporting cast credit?

On the Seaga/Kill Switchl subject, every shot from behind is a stand in, except for the end when a woman get's her tits out. Why does it end with him laying some tail? He wrote it, cunt can do what he likes.

Film of the update: Tiger On The Beat.

Another update coming in random order of the movies I can remember seeing over the last while:

Fargo: 9/10
This movie is awesome. Not as good as No country, but great nonetheless. The cast was superb, especially William H.Macy and Steve Buscemi.

Kick Ass: 7.5/10
I thought this was hilarious in parts, and terrible in others. I can't stand Christopher Mintz-Plasse whatsoever, and Aaron johnson just irks me at times, but It was highly enjoyable. The hit girl character was trying too hard I felt, going for shock value with the "bad" language. I didn't care about what she was saying, more the reason why I didn't like her at all.

Hot tub time machine: 7.5/10

Yeah, sure, it's pretty stupid, but I'll be damned if I didn't laugh a lot during this. Great movie to go watch with some friends, (which I did). That probably made it seem better than it was though.

Choke: 8.5/10

Sam rockwell was tremendous in this I thought. It really explores the topic of sex addiction and really what it means, something I've never seen done as well before.

Memories of murder: 9/10

Picked this up for a tenner, based on the amount of love it gets from guys around here. Incredible movie that really takes a familiar genre and puts a new twist on it. Very funny in parts too.

Fight club: 9/10
I had high expectations for this, and it didn't disappoint whatsoever. Really loved it.

City of God: 10/10

Magnificent movie, the best gangster film I've ever seen. Brilliantly shot, written and acted, It's a story that really sucks you in untill the end.

Iron man 2: 8/10
Great sequel, just as good as the original. Downey jr is, as always, terrific, and Scarlett Johansson is just as gorgeous as ever.

Ocean's eleven: 7.5/10
Fun to watch, smart and ice cool. Highly enjoyable.

O Brother where art thou: 8/10

Another great movie from the coens. The movies very good, but the music is tremendous, one of the best parts.

It's Complicated - 7/10

This actually wasn't bad at all. It had a ton of heart, and a few big laughs. It suffered a little though because it had a little too much Alec Baldwin, and not enough Steve Martin. I love Baldwin as much as the next guy, but Martin stole the show in this one and should have had a lot more screen time, if you ask me.

Went ahead and got the Special Edition DVD a few weeks ago. Hadn't seen the movie in a few years, and figured I might as well buy it since I have all of Tarantino's other films on DVD. Very glad I did, because Jackie Brown is as great as ever. It'll never get old.

Varsity Blues - 10/10

Varsity Blues was actually the first DVD I ever brought. My sister stole the original copy, so I finally got around to buying the Special Edition that was released a few months ago. I give this movie a 10 simply because it was my favorite movie of all time for so many years (basically all throughout high school), and I still love it to pieces to this day. It's great, great entertainment.

Wendy and Lucy - 5/10

I was very disappointed by this movie. It's not bad, but I expected a masterpiece that was going to really touch me. Instead, it just kind of dragged, and outside a few great scenes and Michelle Williams performance, this film was a HUGE letdown.

Jennifer's Body - 2/10

Horrible, horrible movie. I thought it was at least going to be a little fun, but it was just ******ed. There was no substance, scares, or laughs. It was just a fucking HORRENDOUS film. Not that I expected anything great, but damn... never did I think it would be as bad as it was.

Some Kind of Wonderful - 7/10

Good eighties fun teen movie, with more heart in it than most teen movies from that decade had. My only problem with it, as it has since I first saw it a few years back, is the ending. This would have probably been a 9 if Eric Stoltz's character had not chooe his friend like he did at the end of the movie. That completely killed the realism the film had going for itself at that point. Damn unfortunate, but still a very good movie nonetheless.

Four Christmases 3/10

Just popped this on for some reason... I guess I just like Reese Witherspoon too much not to check her shit out. But yeah... it's pretty bad. A couple of laughs (like when Vaughn starts gagging at the sight of baby puke, which I thought was hilarious for some reason), but overall it's just another stupid modern day PG-13 comedy.

Lucas - 10/10

Another one of those just bought on DVD because I always loved the movie, but never had a copy of it. This film NEVER gets old. I said Some Kind of Wonderful had a lot of heart in it, well this movie here has more heart than any other teen movie ever created, if you ask me. I'll always love it.

Dream a Little Dream - 1/10

Cory Feldman, who I actually like, gave one of the worst performances of all time in this piece of shit. Avoid this one at all cost... it's even worst than Jennifer's Body.

Wolf Creek (Unrated Version) - 3/10

A few good suspense scenes, but this fucking movie pisses me off with the main character's stupidity. This is one of those horror movies that tries to take itself seriously and be artsy, but when the main character is fucking ******ED, how can I take the movie seriously? If this film was made in America rather than Australia, it would not have the hype it has, but you know how people are when it comes to international films. It's quite pathetic actually, because this movie really was fucking terrible I thought.

Shag - 2/10

This was just stupid and a big waste of time. Don't know why I bothered in the first place.

The Messenger - 10/10

GREAT movie, with some of the best performances from 2009. Ben Foster was absolutely TREMENDOUS in this. How he didn't get more award nominations, I'll never know. And Woody Harrelson was great too, but not as great as Foster. I always knew Foster was a great, highly underrated actor, but he still blew me away with his performance in this one.

But yeah... check this movie out. It's about the soldiers who get assigned to the Army’s Casualty Notification service. It's truly a great, touching movie.

Troy - 10/10

Man, I'm giving a lot of 10's in this log, but I can't help it. I LOVE Troy! Besides Kingdom of Heaven, it's my favorite epic film of all time. Is it inaccurate as shit? Sure, but do I give a fuck? Nope, I sure don't. The bottom line is this movie is completely bad ass and LOADS of fun.

Shinjuku Triad Society - 8/10

Lord have mercy... was this movie fucked up and violent, but boy did I enjoy the hell out of it. It's the first film from Takashi Miike's Black Society Trilogy, and man... I have to rank it right behind Ichi as his most violent/shocking film he's made that I've seen. I would try to explain it, but that's impossible. Jake, if you're reading this, check this out if you haven't already. I'm pretty sure you'd really dig it.

Rainy Dog - 8/10

The 2nd film in the Black Society Trilogy and just as good. It's about a hitman who starts "caring" for a son he didn't know he had. It's odd at points like all of Miike's films, but this is perhaps one of the most touching Miike movies I've seen yet. The scenes with the boy and the dog, and when the main character, his son, and the prostitute they've run off with in the beach house... those scenes were absolutely beautiful. That beauty matched with Miike's typical in-your-face violence made for a very enjoyable film.

Ley Lines - 8/10

Another solid eight from this great trilogy. This film is about three Japanese youths of Chinese descent who want to escape from Japan. It's hard to go into more detail than that, but it's a very good movie. Really violent at times, but still.. as in every Miike movie I've seen, the violence serves a greater purpose. Also, the ending to this one is by far the best out of the trilogy.

Cursed - 9/10

One of my favorite horror movies from last decade. I don't give a shit what others think... this movie is fucking fun as shit, with some absolutely HILARIOUS moments. I really don't know why more people don't love it.

Splice (2010) 8/10- I was pleasantly surprised by this film. From looking at the trailer, I thought this was going to be exactly like the Species film series, but it wasn't. This film had a good story, and likable characters. The acting was good, and you actually felt for Dren(the creature). The female in Species was just a physco. You actually wanted to see her die.

A-Team (2010) 6/10- I really didn't expect that much from this movie. There were a couple of good action scenes, and this film did have a very good cast. Sharlto Copley was hilarious, and Rampage Jackson did a good job playing Mr.T's character.

Jonah Hex (2010) 2/10- I really, really wanted to like this movie, but I just couldn't. This film had all of the elements to be very good, but this movie was just plain bad. Josh Brolin did a very good job portraying the Jonah Hex character, but even his performance wasn't enough to save this one. Megan Fox wasn't used as much as I thought she would be, but she really needs to work on her acting. She won't be able to rely on her good looks forever.

Resident Evil: Extinction (2007) 7/10- This probably is my second favorite Resident Evil movie....so far. I believe Resident Evil movies are the best video game based movies ever made. Great action in this one, and we really get to see Alice come into her own here. I can't wait for Resident Evil Afterlife, because it looks good so far.

Jeepers Creepers (2001) 9/10- I love this movie, and I try to watch it every other month. Very good story, and the Creeper is a unique horror villain. This movie will keep you on edge until the very end. It's too bad Jeepers Creepers 2 had to be such a piece of shit. I hope Jeepers Creepers 3 will be better.

Notorious (2009) 9/10- This was the biopic about Biggie Smalls' life, and this film was very good. Jamal Woolard did an awesome job portraying B.I.G, and this film was filled with great acting from just about everyone. I wish they would've touched on the 2Pac stuff more, but this was still a very good movie.

Killshot (2009) 5/10- Mickey Rourke was the best thing in this film. Other than that, everything else was just boring and bland. Rosario Dawson put on a pretty good performance here, but you don't see that much of her. Also, I found Joesph Gordon-Levitt's character to be very annoying.

Sorority Row (2009) 2/10- I tried to get into this one, but this film was so silly. This one is about a bunch of rich and spoiled sorority sisters who are involved in this very bizarre murder at the beginning of the film. The weapon the killer uses is ridiculous, and the twist at the end is such a let down. And I can tell that a straight to DVD sequel will be coming, because this film has one of those endings that leaves a mystery.

Man, I really need to get back into this thing. Anyway, these entries here aren't dated, but here are the five most memorable films that I've seen over the past three months or so:

The Road 7/10 - Some of the finest acting I've ever seen in my life. Too bad I think John Hillcoat absolutely fucking sucks as a director. Certain scenes make this film (particularly the one featuring Michael K. Williams, who is currently America's most underrated actor); without such memorable moments, this film would have been a mawkish and cheesily somber shitfest. I hear Hillcoat is remaking the French masterpiece Le Circle Rouge, and all that makes me do is shake my head.

We Are What We Are 10/10 - I had the good fortune to track down a workprint of this Mexican cannibal drama, and, if there are three more directors like Jorge Michel Grau in America's southern sister, then we'll be able to christen Mexico France's esteemed colleague in the world of cutting-edge and innovative horror. I cannot stress enough to everyone here that you need to see this film when IFC releases it.

Scarface 10/10 - Yeah, I've seen this film like a hundred times, but I still love it. Most Hollywood pieces of shit try to glamorize the criminal world, but my main men Brian De Palma and Oliver Stone kept it real with Scarface. This film is full of borderline-illiterate, psychopathic, and sleazy assholes trying to chase the American dream the easy way, and I love every minute I'm immersed into their lives.

Killer Pussy 4/10 - A dumbass Japanese movie about a woman with a razor-toothed eel-like parasite in her, well, pussy. I liked it better than Teeth, but it doesn't compare to that masterpiece Killer Condom.

It's Complicated 5/10 - Decent film about rich, white Americans having mid-life crises (or something to that effect). The three stars made this film watchable, although the adult children of Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin's characters were UNFUCKING believable...such people are only alive due to their parent's wealth, and are so out of touch with reality that it almost makes me want to throw up. Also, Alec Baldwin is shit compared to my boy Steve Martin; Martin should have gotten a shit ton more screen time, or they shouldn't have teased me by giving him second billing.

Updated from 3/6/2010

Finally gave something a full 10/10. I might be a little harsh with my scoring, but in my defence I haven't actually watched many classics since I started this thing. Both Alien & Aliens got top marks. However they are not my films of the update.

I'm in two minds as to what my favorite film of the update was. I haven't had as much fun in a cinema watching Predators in a long time. But it's absolute fluff. Heartless is my pick...yeah definately Heartless. Great film.

Seagal film of the update has to be Hard To Kill. Absolutely brilliant. One of the best training montages ever in cinema. Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Statham, all of those guys would'nt have missed a beat with their post coma work out. Segal showed how difficult it would really be. You Tube doesn't have it, so somebody really needs to show me how you upload that shit to that website. Hard To Kill is probably my favorite Seagal film ever now that I think of it.

It turns out that the Machine Girl was a one off, that sort of Japanese film get's old quickly. Robo Geisha, I'm disappointed in you.

Ong-Bak: The Beginning was probably the biggest let down. Even if Tony Jaa hadn't had a breakdown it still would've been crap.

Alice In Wonderland hurt my brain. It was alright until Johnny Depp showed up. Time to find a new muse, Burton.

Fantastic Fox was great. Worked a whole lot better than I thought. The possum chewing on the chicken neck to no avail had me in stitches.

The Crazies remake was nowhere near as much fun as it should've been.

Probably my most positive update so far. A lot of high scores, for me, in that update.

Inception gets a 5/5 from me. Incredible movie, with a decent cast and bindblowing special effects. It's the type that really makes you think. Great movie all around.

Kick-Ass gets a 4/5. Very entertaining film and quite a bit more humorous than I expected.

Alice in Wonderland gets a 1.5/5. Yeah, complete shit this film is. Johnny Depp was annoying and I felt rather bored during most parts.

Inception - 9/10

Yeah. It was pretty good. Suprised how haggard Joseph Gordon-Levitt looked in some scenes. Needs a nap. It was good, the best non pixar film of the year, maybe. I really needed to pee in the last half hour, which may have tarnished it. A lot of crashing waves and rain in that last act too, which only excacerbated the matter.

Primer - 7.5/10

I was very into it in the first hour, but the last 22 minutes lost me. But time travel isn't supposed to be easy to understand. For such a low budget, it was enjoyable, and if I understood what the fuck happened, it'd probably be rather slightly higher.

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky - 8.5/10

Good lord almighty was this a fucking fun movie. It probably helped I can speak the language, but even so, the violence and the ridiculousness of every single scene made this a classic. Sure, its not Oldboy, but it's not really meant to be. At least I hope not.

Un Prophete/A Prophet - 8/10

Great performances in a prison movie that really wasn't as interesting as most other prison movies (see: Riki Oh). I couldn't speak the language in this one, and a long running time made this the lesser of the two. Of course, when you finish a movie in which someone is trying to strangle another inmate with his own intestines, a simple razorblade to the neck doesnt have the same bite. Although that was an awesome scene.

Dear Zachary - 7/10

Extremely painful to watch at times. That's all I'll say. First half is brilliantly emotional and uplifting. Second half is simply fucked up beyond all belief.

Akira - 8/10

Not as good as perhaps I was expecting. A pox on me for reading some reviews. Still pretty tits, and the animation is top class. If I watched it again I am sure my gob would be firmly smacked and I'd change the score.

Is that how you spell excacerbated?

She's Out Of Your League- Kinda meh for me all around. I expected it to be more of a comedy but it produced maybe one chuckle out of me. Not bad but not good either. You'd be fine if you never watch it. 2.5/5

Babysitter Wanted- I was quote suprised by how enjoyable this film is, really. The plot twist is kind of silly but the movie is somewhat scary, gruesome, and entertaining. 3.5/5

Zombieland - Saw this movie a few weeks ago and I loved it. Thought it was going to be mediocre but I really loved it. The film is pretty funny I loved Jesse Isenbergs set of rules. Not to mention Emma Stone was super hot in this movie. 9/10

Kickass - Loved this film though it was going to be ridiculous but it completely blew me away. Hit-Girl was great and I really loved this film. Had me on the edge of my seat and I also loved the soundtrack. 9/10

Iron Man 2 - God I really disliked this film. In my mind the movie had too much going on at once and too many characters. It took Tony forever to learn the iron man suit yet Don Cheadle just hoped into War Machine. I also hated the fact that whiplash needed a suit. 6.5/10

The A Team - Decent movie with some nice action sequences. Really just an average action film to say the least. Some scenes were ridiculous like flying a tank with a parachute. Not to mention the film got pretty dull at times. 6.5/10

Splice - Just a really weird eerie film. I saw species when I was kid and this film is no species. SPOILER This film was so weird when Adrien Brody had sex with Drene( alien/human thing ) everybody in the theatre starting busting up I don't think that's what the producers wanted. Not my cup of tea. 7/10

Predators - Saw it last week thought it was the best film of the series since the original. It's a fun film what an unexpected twist. Im used to seeing Adrien Brody as a little twinky boy but he was pretty badass in this film fucking up Predators. 8/10

Last night, wound up sawing Dinner for Schmucks. This was the first movie in years that actually blurred the line of movie and reality to me, to the point that I really cared for all of the characters in the movie. I've said before how tired I have become of Steve Carrell, but he was absolutely brilliant in this movie. Sure, he may be playing his typical role of naive, good hearted soul who doesn't know any better, but he does it with so much conviction, I can't help but forget that this is Carrell's MO, and just take the character at face value. The movie banters on, as part comedic slapstick, part morality check on the audience, as we begin to examine our own conscience as human beings. At least I did; watching the "Dinner" is one of those poignant moments in which you truly examine your conscience, and the way in which you consider human rights. I had heard fantastic things about this movie, and while it's an adaptation, something I'm not really shocked about, I find myself enthralled by the entire concept.

My only knock is the typical stock characters you see here. Typical villain, typical artist guy who looks just like Russell Brand from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, everything like that, really. But that isn't enough to not warrant an 8.7/10 in my books, and easily one of the best movies I've seen in ages.

The Dark Knight-10/10
The absolute best movie I've ever seen, the plot was perfect, Heath Ledger was amazing, everything about that movie was good, aside from the disguise voice of Batman. I've seen that movie about 50 times, I know practically every word and it is still the greatest movie I've ever seen.
Apocalypto-9/10
The movie was incredible, but after the first time it loses it's luster. The plot was great, and even though it isn't in English, it really doesn't matter, because the movie is just that good. One of the best movies I've ever seen in my life, absolutely fantastic.
Law Abiding Citizen-9/10
I agree with Will, this was a great movie. Honestly, the critics don't matter to me, this movie had me on the edge of my seat. I thought it was great, Gerard Butler played his role in the movie very well, and while the movie may have been a little bit ridiculous, it was still very fun to watch and what made the movie even better was the low expectations I had going into it.
Cloverfield-8/10
Another really, really good movie. One thing I didn't like about it was how short the movie was, and how long it took to get to the action. The plot was good though, as were the special effects.
The plot was awful. The only thing that could help this movie at all was the special effects. It was so ridiculously overrated, and even though I went in to the film with somewhat low expectations, I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. I actually walked out of the theater after maybe an hour. It was that bad.

Get Him To The Greek (2010) 8/10- This one was funny as hell. The story was solid, and Jonah Hill and Russell brand made an awesome duo. I was also surprised by Diddy. He pretty much played himself in this movie, but he was a perfect pick to play the narcissistic record label boss. There was also a nice twist at the end.

The last Airbender (2010) 1/10- What a terrible fucking movie. I won't be too hard on the kids, but the acting from everyone else was just atrocious. The screenplay sucked, the cinematography was shit, the 3D effects weren't worth the extra money,the "fight" scenes were laughable, and of course Shyamalan had to throw in one of his lame twist endings. I was afraid M. Night Shyamalan would ruin this movie, and unfortunately, I was right. He hasn't done anything good in years, and really wish he would stop writing screenplays.

Fuck you, M.Night Shyamalan.

Predators (2010) 7/10- I really enjoyed this one. Lots of action, killing, and gore. All of the things that make a predator movie worth watching. Also, the cast here was surprisingly solid.

Salt (2010) 7/10- This movie took me by surprise. Sure the story has been done a lot before, and you can almost see everything coming from a mile away, but Angelina Jolie was excellent here. The action scenes were a little bit over the top, but overall, Salt delivered.

Inception (2010) 10/10- Inception has easily been my favorite movie this summer. I had to wait until almost 11:00 o'clock at night to see this film, and I stood in a long line, but it was all worth it. Inception will have you hooked from beginning to end. This movie was like something I've never seen before, and I just knew Nolan and DiCaprio would make a great duo. The acting from almost everyone was superb, and the ending will leave you wanting more.

Great cast, great story, awesome director, and stunning visuals.....SEE. THIS. MOVIE!

Dinner For Schmucks (2010) 7/10- I'm not always crazy about a Steve Carell movie, but I laughed very hard throughout the entire film. Carell plays his usuall nerdy/outcast role here, but the story was solid, and the odd couple relationship between Carell and Paul Rudd was very entertaining.

Tetro (2009) 9/10- This is a gem from Francis Ford Coppola. For a low budget movie, Tetro had an amazing look to it. The cinematography was great, and I thought putting this film in black and white was a nice touch. This film is about two brothers reuniting after being apart for a long time. The older brother is a nutcase, and Vincent Gallo did a good job portraying this character.

The Squid And The Whale (2005) 8/10- I thought this would be awful, but I chose to give it a try anyway. So this movie is about how a preppy family tries to stay somewhat civil, as the parents go through a weird and tense divorce. Very good acting here, and the writing was good. Although, there were some were weird and creepy scenes in this movie..........

The Player (1992) 9/10- Tim Robbins was the man in this movie. He plays a Hollywood Movie Executive who gets in trouble after a heinous crime. I usually don't like movies like this, but this one was done so well.

Troy (2004) 7/10- I know Troy gets shit on a lot by the critics, but I thought this was a fun movie. Good acting, and Orlando Bloom was a good choice for Paris, because I literally hated him.

Jenifer's Body (2009) 5/10- I know Megan Fox was the lead role here, but Amanda Seyfried won me over by playing Fox's nerdy and up-tight friend. Fox wasn't that horrible here. I can see why she was chosen for this role. She fits the bitchy and conceded popular high school girl mold perfectly. Also, Diablo Cody is a pretty good screenwriter.

City Of God (2002) 10/10- For years people have been urging me to see this movie, and I finally watched it not too long ago. I was blown away. It was gritty and dark. I loved how the film chronicled the main character's experiences from a young age to the teenage years. City of God surely deserves all of the praise it gets.

Cloverfield (2008) 7/10- I'll never forget the tremendous amount of hype surrounding this movie when it was released a couple of years ago. There's nothing really that special about this film, but it's fun to watch. I just expected more as far as the attack on New York City goes. It was such a let down.

I love You, Beth Cooper (2009) 1/10- What the fuck was the point of this? This film had ONE funny part, and everything else was just boring and stupid. The whole "nerdy guy chases after the hot girl" storyline has been soooo many times. Usually those films turn out to be decent, but this was just horrendous.

2012 (2009) 2/10- I really hate it when good actors do shit Hollywood blockbusters like this. Why John Cusack chose to do this still boggles my mind. Over the top/ridiculous scenes, a bland story, and corny cliches. That sums up 2012 just perfectly.

The Last House On The Left (2009) 1/10- What a boring movie. Nothing happens for the bulk of the film, and things don't even pick up until the very end. I remember how the trailers pretty much gave away the climax, and that wasn't even done well. The "revenge'" was so obvious, and the audience knew it was going to happen. The showdown was so lame, and it was pretty clear who would win the battle. I plan on seeing the original version sometime soon, and I hope it's not as bad as this one.

The Hangover (2009) 9/10- I feel that this movie is slightly overrated, but I always enjoy The Hangover when I watch it. Very funny film with a great cast.

Watchmen (2009) 10/10- I always love to watch this movie. Watchmen isn't your typical superhero movie, and that's what makes it brilliant. I absolutely loved Jackie Earl Haley as Rorschach. What a compelling character. But Dr. Manhattan always pisses me off. He's the strongest of group, and he is such a wimp.

Domino (2005) 8/10- Keria Knightley was the best thing here. She was great as the bad-ass bounty hunter, and that surprises me, because Knightley usually plays this sweet and innocent woman. Mickey Rourke and Monique also put on fine good performances.

Toy Story 3-This was just an amazing way to finish one of the most succesful trilogies of all time, just the Lords of the Rings can beat it. I mean, when I was a child, Toy Story was my favorite movie, and is the second movie that made me drop a tear. 10/10

Avatar- This movie is good for me, the plot isn't that bad, is the typical one society comes, tries to beats the other one, a person joins the other, etc. I mean, when the movie end, it felt weird because that world was just beautiful. 8/10

Sherlock Holmes- Sherlock Holmes is my favorite character of all, and maybe the movie was more about action that everything, but Downey Jr. can make it a good movie, and he even won a Golden Globe award for that movie. 8/10

I saw District 9 the other night and...wow what a great film, I wasn't expecting this film to be so good it's much better than Avatar.9.5/10

Observe and Report was funny because Seth Rogen does pretty well being a ****** and the movie managed to get quite a few laughs from me. 7/10

Wedding Crashers is great, it's got a decent story with a good few laughs.7.5/10

Toy Story 3 was a fantastic adventure with a great ending and was a good way to end the trilogy. 10/10

The final film I'm going to mention is Carlito's Way, the film reminded me of Scarface and was almost like a sequel. I love Scarface and this film was almost as good and it's got a pretty good ending. 9/10

Another random assortment of movies that I can remember watching.

Memento 10/10.

Awesome movie. The plot was superb, the acting was spot on and it contains one of my favourite lines ever. "So what am I doing. I'm chasing this guy. (Gunshot) No, he's chasing me". Brilliant

Insomnia. 8/10

Of all of Nolan's work that I've seen, this is the worst, and it's still very good. Al Pacino put in a brilliant performance alongside the dlightfully creepy Robin Williams. You really get a sense of how disorientating the nightless days are, and it just leaves me dreading ever having to experience.

Inception. 10/10.

Incredible. My favourite movie of the year so far. A perfect blend of story, characters and action. And by God were the performances amazing, I was especially impressed by Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Pulp Fiction. 10/10

I waited ages to see this, and it didn't disappoint. Although slightly overrated
compared to some of my friends opinions, it's still a great film.

Resevoir dogs. 8.5/10

Very good, very entertaining. The acting was superb

Infernal Affairs. 9.5/10

Now, while I loved this movie, I've got to agree with jmt among others in that this movie was just a slight bit off the departed. Barely though. It shouldn't take anything away from the movie though.

Heat. 10/10

It was tdigles love for this movie that made me buy it, and it was sheer brilliance. Definitely a classic.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 8/10

Granted, I saw this without seeing number 1, and maybe that made a difference. Just like resevoir dogs, it was highly entertaining. Although I wish I saw the first one.

Blue Velvet 9/10
Mulholland Drive 9/10

Both of these were very very good, and I feel they'd be better on a second viewing maybe. I didn't find them as great as some of the others around here have, does that make me uncool?

Zodiac 9/10

This was a great serial killer mystery that had me hooked from the start to the end.

The Game 9/10.

This was an edge of your seat, twisting and turning thriller that I really enjoyed. Great performances thrown in too.

Oldboy 10/10

Boy was this movie fucking awesome. I heard a hell of a lot love for this, and itjust made me enjoy it even more. The hammer fight scene is probably the greatest fight scene of all time.

Step up 3-D 3/10

God awful movie, bar the dancing which was very entertaining. The acting was horrible, the script was agonising and the the plot, well, it was as obvious (besides one little twist) as I expected. I swear, they would have had a very hard time finding worse actors. The worst part, I knew it would be shit but I still went. Then why did I go? It had to do with who I was with.

Updated since 25/7/2010

Film of the update has to be Piranha 3D. Could've done with it in 2D personally. 3D costs more, doesn't work when you're not wearing contact lenses and is just generally very pointless. Great Kelly Brook underwater scene mind you. I love that woman. And I'm happy to report I've been a fan since the beginning. Before that awful Three film, before The Big Breakfast, even before The Stath. I was wanking over her when she was just a no-name model in Loaded.

On Deadly Ground is the Steven Seagal film of the update, Pimp is the Danny Dyer film of the update and The Expendables is the Steve Austin film of the update.

The Expendables had, quite possibly, the most boring first 30 minutes I've ever seen in an action film. And I've seen Steven Seagal's worst. Stallone totally fucked up that Arnie & Bruce scene. But it did pick up towards the end. No need for Randy Couture or Terry Crews though. And this comes from a person who has both of them in his top 5 man crushes.

Scott Pilgrim & Toy Story 3 are two films I'm unsure if I liked or not. I can't help but think Toy Story was actually as deep and interesting as cars, or maybe one of the better Dreamworks films.

Heavy Metal was awesome...in 1998. Badly drawn tits and pubic bushes just don't do it for me now.

Martin, good film that one.

I remember Meet Dave having one scene, I forget what happened in it, that actually made me snort with laughter.

Camp Rock, catchy main song.

What sort of a person casts John Travolta in the role as a bad ass? Luc Besson, I'm looking at you. Surely you still have Jean Reno's number.

Hot Tub Time Machine was thoroughly enjoyable. Shank was not.

I have waited far to long to update my movie log. I have watched 100 movies I have never seen before throughout the summer, yes I documented them. Add on another 100 films at least that I have seen before. No way I can list all of them, but I will list a few of the more recent viewings.

Scream- A solid 9/10 from me. I fucking love this movie. It was so clever and original for when it came out. The horror genre was so stale at that point and Scream really turned it on its ass.

Scream 2- A solid sequel. I love Timothy Olyphant, Jamie Kennedy and David Arquett in it. 7/10

Piranha 3D- I waited a long time to see this film and I loved every bit of it. It didn't take itself serious which was a breath of fresh air. I love Aja and I love killer piranhas. Add in Ving Rhames, Richard Dreyfuss, Dina Meyer, and a funny as hell Jerry O'Connell and you have a winner. 8/10, just for the sheer sillyness of it.

Grown Ups- I really liked this movie. I guess I am just a sucker for dick and fart jokes but it was nice to see Adam Sandler being a kid again. I like Kevin James a lot, and enjoy David Spade. Steve Buscemi and Tim Meadows were pretty funny for their small roles. However, Chris Rock and Rob Schneider sucked out loud. 6.5/10

The Expendables- Lack of any depth and a very flimsy story but the action was great and the killing was top notch. I love Stallone and Arnold and Terry Crews. If you want to have a fun time at the movies, while losing some brain cells then this movie is for you. 6/10

Universal Soldier- I actually really enjoyed it. Again, no depth at all to the film, but the fight scenes were fun and that was all I was hoping for. 6/10

Tombstone- I am not one for Westerns usually, but this one popped into my head for some reason and I decided I needed to see it. I rather enjoyed it. Sam Elliott, Kurt Russell, Bill Paxton, Michael Biehne, Powers Boothe and Val Kilmer made up a very good cast. The fights were put together well and the story wasn't terrible. Kilmer stole the show. 7/10

Aliens- I love this move. One of my all time favorites. Michael Biehne and Bill Paxton are the way to my heart. While, it is not on the same level as Alien, it is an adequate sequel. The colonial marines are so badass and the multiple aliens are awesome to watch in action. 9/10

Predators- A very anticipated film for me. I liked it a lot. Sure it lacked depth but the action was awesome. I thought Adrien Brody did a great job in the lead role. However, Laurence Fishburne really stole the show, to bad his character was dispatched of far to early. Walton Goggins, Oleg Taktarov, and Danny Trejo also gave good performances, and the most surprising was Topher Grace. I didn't hate him as much as I thought I would. 7/10

The Other Guys- The Rock and Samuel L. Jackson stole the show, but didn't have a big enough role in the overall story. A bit sad. However, Will Ferrill was his normal over the top self and I loved it. Mark Whalberg was okay, but I am not a big fan. The dialogue was hilarious and ridiculous, but why else would I go to a movie with Will Ferrill in it if I didn't want to laugh my ass off at stupidity. 7/10

There are a lot more, but those are the few that spring to mind right now. I may update again soon when I remember more or when I watch some more.

I've seen a lot of films in the past few months, but I'm only going to comment on two here:

Lake Dead - 0/10 (Turkey): Hands down the worst slasher flick I've ever seen, not to mention a testament to why the After Dark Horrorfest is an absolute fucking joke. Unsympathetic protagonists, a trite fucking storyline about inbred, psychopathic hicks killing nubile, hard-bodied twentysomethings, and no explanation for why the incestual villains just won't pull the fucking trigger on their prey (seriously, bloodthirsty maniacs don't have a conscience...I can't suspend my belief any longer just because you need to pad out 90 minutes). Avoid at all costs; an absolute waste of time, and I hope no one involved with this film ever gets another paying job in the entertainment business.

Primal - 7/10: How horror films should be done. I honestly only mention these two films so that I could compare how something's done right and how something's done terribly, terribly wrong. This is an Australian flick about a bunch of twentysomethings that go into the wilderness to look at old rock paintings...the only problem being that the surrounding area is home to some kind of parasite/spirit that inhabits visitors and turns them into flesh-craving, pointy-toothed *****. Ample gore and a very well thought-out and believable script make this a highly recommended horror flick from yours truly (it's must-see if you were unfortunate enough to have seen something as abominable as Lake Dead).

Devil (2010) 5/10- Yeah, I know I was strongly against this movie, and that was mainly because of M.Night Shyamalan, but Devil surprised me. It wasn't great, but this film was pretty solid. The acting from everyone was decent, and I did get into the story towards the end, as I became anxious to find out who the Devil was. Still, M.Night Shyamalan didn't direct this movie, and he didn't write the screenplay. This was MAJOR because I think Shyamalan is terrible when it comes to writing.

Machete (2010) 7/10- I enjoyed this film. I have a thing for violent movies like this, so Machete was perfect for me. Robert DeNiro put on a very good performance. He did a really good job at portraying this corrupt/sleazy senator. I was very skeptical about Danny Trejo playing the lead role here, but he did an okay job. Also, I thought Lindsay Lohan would ruin this, but she wasn't used much here, and that was a good thing.

The Last Exorcism (2010) 5/10- I usually don't get into exorcism films, but The Last Exorcism was a decent enough film. There were a few creepy moments, and this film did have a pretty good ending.

Lottery Ticket (2010) 3/10- I just think this film could've been better. I didn't see enough of Mike Epps, and he probably had the most entertaining character in the entire film. And why would Ice Cube want to play a crazy/lonely retired boxer? I hated the ending, and I also don't like Bow Wow, but this is what I get for taking a chance.

Resident Evil Afterlife: 3D (2010) 3/10- Man did this film let me down. The 3D effects were cool, but everything else about this film just sucked. All of the characters seemed so bland and boring. The ending made me faceapalm, because you can clearly tell they plan on making another one. If they do make another Resident Evil film, then I hope it's the last one. It's time for this series to come to an end. Although, the monster with axe/hammer weapon was pretty cool, and that scene was probably the best in the entire movie.

Disaster Movie (2008) 0/10- Horrible. Just plain horrible. The acting from everyone was just terrible, and this movie just wasn't funny at all. Disaster Movie seriously deserves all of the hate it gets. I've lost all of the respect I used to have for Carmen Electra. She always appears in these awful spoof films. I think she just wants to stay relevant, and collect a paycheck. Everyone who played a part in making this movie should be ashamed of themselves. This is what happens when I stay up late at night and start browsing through the channels.

The Box (2009) 7/10 The Box had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. This film was mysterious, and the acting was good. I wish Cameron Diaz would do more movies like this.

Planet Terror (2007) 7/10 I really want to give this movie a ten(mainly because it's personal favorite of mine) but deep down inside, I know this film isn't that good. The action here was awesome, and this film had so many great characters. Although, Rose McGowan having a gun as a leg towards the end does get kind of silly, and I also wish we could've seen more of Fergie. Robert Rodriguez is at his best when he does films like this. Please Robert, No more Spy Kids!

Death Proof (2007) 5/10- Death Proof just didn't do it for me. Kurt Russell was great here, but the first half of this movie was really boring. Vanessa Ferlito's lap dance was the only thing that was able to entertain me. I like Tarantino, but this was definitely one of his weaker films. Luckily this film had a very cool chase scene at the end, or I might have given this movie an even lower rating.

Bones (2001) 1/10- Why can't Snoop Dogg just stick to rap music? This was sooooo bad. The acting from almost everyone was shit, and some of the "scary" parts in this film were just painful to watch. A haunted dog who vomits maggots? Really? I like Pam Grier, but she shouldn't have been in this piece of garbage.

Orphan (2009) 8/10- Isabelle Fuhrman did such a great job with the Esther character. Orphan was dark and creepy.

28 Days Later (2002) 9/10- I love everything about this movie. The acting was good, the action and suspense kept me hooked, and the cinematography made this film look so gritty. This might be my favorite post apocalypse style film ever.

The Game (1997) 8/10- Michael Douglas and Sean Penn were great in this movie. The suspense will keep you hooked until the very end. This is just a very fun movie to watch.

Up In The Air (2009) 8/10- This isn't my type of movie, so it was really hard for me to sit down and watch this. Up In The Air surprised me. The firing scenes were done so well. You wanted to feel for some of the characters. Also, I enjoyed George Cloonely's mentorship of Anna Kendrick. It was a nice storyline, and Kendrick was a perfect choice to play this nerdy and shy rookie.

The Ugly Truth (2009) 3/10- I really don't like Kathrine Heigl. She plays the same character in every movie she's in. This film was very predictable, and the ending was so lame.

Pineapple Express (2008) 8/10- Now this movie was funny. Seth Rogen and James Franco were hilarious. I thought Rosie Perez had gone into hiding, but she did an okay job as the crazy cop. The fight scene between Franco, Rogen, and Danny McBride was great. I laugh hard at that scene every time I see it.

300 (2007) 4/10 300 was visually stunning, but It was hard for me to sit through this the second time. The characters were so dull, and EVERYONE sounded the same. This might be fun to watch on a big screen, but 300 just isn't that good if you ask me.

Here's my list of movies I've watched in the last few months and my rating...

Ugly Truth with Heigl and Gerard Butler...2/5...I would've originally given it 1 out of 5, but Butler kinda saved it for me. Heigl was a bit too uptight and kinda ruined it, thank god for Mr. Sparta.

Strange Wilderness...3/5..I didn't think I would like this at first, but it was quite funny. Steve Zahn as a person trying to save his dad's wilderness show by tracking bigfoot, too bad his crew is a bunch of stoners. It was actually very funny, has many of the people from Adam Sandler's movies in it.

Halloween II (remake).. 1/5...this remake sucked. I think Zombie must've gotten bored or something. This did not go the way I thought it would. I know a remake can have some artistic freedom, but damn, this went into crazytown, and not in a good way. The Laurie girl was WAY too tripped out and I think I'll just still with the original version of Halloween 2.

Orphan...4/5...this was a creepy ass movie. The chick playing the orphan was so good. It had me wondering the whole way through, despite hearing some of the spoiler on Tosh.0, but I was thoroughly creeped out when seeing the UV paintings in her room. Even when she was trying to spend 'alone' time and talk to the dad. :wtf:

Paul Blart: Mall Cop.. 3/5...its not so bad. Pretty cool movie. I think its okay. Kevin James on a segway...pretty funny, and I think he's hilarious. Of course not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved him on King of Queens, and liked him in this movie.

The Marine 2..starring Ted Dibiase Jr....actually 5/5. This was a kick ass movie. Its based on a true story. Lots of great action sequences. A former marine/special ops man on a vacay with his wife in a Puerto Rico or some island getaway, the resort is taken hostage by terrrorists, and he is trying to save the hostages. Lots of great extras on the dvd. shows interviews with the REAL marine guy who lived it.

Recent Movies

Inception: 7/10- This movie seemed to drag on throughout the film. The beginning and ending actually saved the film for me, but the rest of the film didn't put me on the edge of my seat like I thought it would.

Piranha 3D: 3/10- I knew this film would be awful but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I thought it would be one of those so bad its good films, but it wasn't. There was some nice 3D nudity, but the rest of the film was a complete joke. No real suspense or action got my interest. There were a few bloody scenes though. Jerry O'Connell played an annoying douche in the film. Elisabeth Shue was one of the main characters along with Ving Rhames. The nudity and the brief appearances by Richard Dreyfuss and Christopher Lloyd saved this film from being a total flop.

The Expendables: 6/10- A fun movie I guess if you could understand what the hell was going on in the film. So many characters were thrown together and it became hard to tell who was fighting with who. The story was mildly amusing with a few goo action sequences. Not the blockbuster I was looking for.

Lottery Ticket: 1/10- Awful. There really wasn't one funny scene in the entire movie. I don't know my old lady has an infatuation with lame comedy movies that star even lamer Rapers. Ice Cube hasn't been funny since the original Friday.

Machete: 6/10- A couple of nice nude scenes, but no nudity from the ones that matter: Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, and to a lesser extent Lindesy Lohan. The acting was atrocious and the movie turned into a 90 minute long Mexican stereotype. Don Johnson surprised me as the racist sheriff. Even Robert DeNiro couldn't save this flick though. Steven Segal and Lohan were atrocious.

Recent DVDs

Killers: 2/10- Another lame romantic Hollywood movie where an attractive actor with no shirt on plays the love interest of a attractive neurotic actress with low self esteem. Put this two together and reveal that one of them has a secret and you got your typical romantic comedy! This movie was trash from the get go. Ashton Kutcher as an Agent that kills people for a living falls for a dizzy blond who still lets her parents control her life.

Did you Hear About the Morgans?" 0/10- I heard this movie sucked ass and I was right. Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker are in a witness protection program after witnessing a murder. The two big city New Yorkers are forced to move out to the "God fearing Republican" Mid West and aren't comfortable adjusting to their new life. Mind numbing from start to finish.

The Backup Plan: 1/10- Notice a trend here? Married life is fun! This is film about Jennifer Lopez becoming pregnant before she finds the man of her dreams. The man doesn't know how to feel about it, but its a fairy tale and he ends up marrying her anyway despite the fact she lied and was knocked up by another guy. Asinine

The Last Song: 1/10- Miley Cyrus acting as a pretentious teenage bitch as usual visiting her father at a beach house with her little brother. Her old man wants her to play piano but she doesn't. She falls in love with some guy and her dad dies because the idiot set fire to a building he was in. Awesome.

Everybody's Fine: 7/10- Finally a decent movie to watch for once. This film is about a widower (Robert DeNiro) that goes on a road trip across the country to spend time with his adult children that are too busy to talk to him. This was a sad film that shows how parents and children can disconnect from each other after long periods of time. I Definitely recommend this over the other pieces trash I just reviewed.

Get Him to The Greek: 7/10- This movie surprised me a bit. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was actually pretty funny. Jonah Hill has to get a failing rock star (Russel Brand) to the Los Angeles Greek theater to restart not only his music career but Jonah's music career in the industry as well. Hill goes on a drug and alcohol bender with Brand trying to get him from one place to another.

Updated from 4/9/10

Film of the update is probably Bad Lieutenant, but I enjoyed Honey, I Shrunk The Kids! more. I haven't seen it in years and I could remember almost every line. I'd forgotten how hot Amy O'Neil was, shame she's not in the 2nd one much. The third in the series is absolutely terrible.

Enjoyed Belle De Jour, Catherine Deneuve should've got her titties out though.

Watching three National Lampoon's Vacation made me realize how little I miss Chevy Chase. Beverly D'Angelo, still would. Even in her current Entourage form.

Defendor is a little like Kick-Ass, only really-really shit.

11:14 is entertaining. For a £1 it get's my coveted Bargain Of The Update Award.

Apparently I watched a film called Untamed Heart, if anybody knows what this film is about or who's in it please get in touch. I own it on DVD, but I'll be fucked if I remember anything about it.

A film like M wouldn't get a PG certificate these days.

Gonzo should've been better considering who the film was based on.

Exit Through The Gift Shop is rather entertaining.

Y'know what I enjoy more than the original Rollerball? The remake, no seriously.

An Inconvenient Truth is a lecture, not a film.

I could be the only person in the world who rates The Lovely Bones really highly. I'll rephrase that. I'm the only male in the world who rates The Lovely Bones highly.

When I bought Cop Out (Why!) it had a sticker on the front saying: For Die Hard Fans Only. I don't think it was in reference to Bruce Wills' signature film, more likely only die hard Kevin Smith fans will like it.

What the fuck happened to Rene Russo?

Hated The Killer Inside Me until about an hour after it finished, then I changed my mind. I dislike Jessica Alba & Kate Hudson, both get ass whoopings, what was not to like?

Let Me In- Not terrible, but not great. I could have waited for the DVD. Richard Jenkins is still the fucking man though. I never thought 12 year old nudity could be so awkward, obviously I was wrong. It isn't like you see anything but the idea and brief skin shots was a little much. Whatever, I did enjoy when Hit Girl went all bat shit crazy on the bully kids. I didn't expect that kind of thing from a main stream release, pleasantly surprised. I give it a 6.5/10

The Social Network- I really enjoyed it. Jesse Eisenberg is one of my favorite actors under 30. He kicks Michael Cera's ass any day. Also, Justin Timberlake is fucking awesome. If MArk Zuckerberg is anything like he is portrayed in the movie he is fucking crazy and I like it. I give it a 7.5/10

The Big Lebowski- I have always been a big fan of this film. I just love everything about it. Steve Buscemi should have had more screen time, same goes for John Turturro. The soundtrack makes me happy. I give it a 9/10.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?- A very interesting look at Homer's Odyssey. I liked it a lot. I have gradually become a big George Clooney fan over the last 12 months and I think he does his finest work with the Coen brothers. Once again, my love for Turturro comes into play. 8/10

Fargo- Another classic. William H. Macy is the fucking man. Such a greta mix of dark humor and drama. If you didn't notice, I have been on a bit of a Coen brother kick as of late. 9/10

The Town- I really liked The Town. Affleck has been growing on me as of late, I have always liked him a little bit but he has been great lately. Jeremy Renner FTW!!! Nice good guy, bad guy, cops and robbers flick. 8.5/10

Irreversible- I love this movie, but it still makes me feel terrible after watching it. The unique filming and music makes for such an eerie film. Having just learned that the song that begins the movie had the distinct purpose of making people sick and forcing them to walk out of the films makes me realize why I always feel so sick when Pierre and Marcus are running through the tunnels, that and other things......Also, the rape scene is still impossible for me to watch in its entirety. Such a gruesome scene, the red walls and man who walks around the corner and then leaves doesn't help much. 9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back