• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movie Review Thread

23/2/2010 The Lovely Bones 9/10

Damn. I was shocked how poorly the reviews were for this film, but if you dig it this much, then I'll definitely have to check it out now. Hopefully it lives up.

28/2/2010 Thirst 7/10

Been meaning to buy this, but Tdigs told me it was shit, so I sort of lost interest in it. Maybe I'll get around to it now.

28/2/2010 Undisputed II: Last Man Standing 3/10

Very disappointed by this score. I loved Undisputed II. One of the best B-Rated action flicks from this decade, if you ask me.

You still need to see Blood and Bone, don't you? Check that out when you can, man.

4/3/2010 G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra 7/10

Haha... I'm going to have to wait until it's on HBO or one of those channels to watch it, but I agree... from the cast alone, the film cannot be as bad as everyone says it is.

4/3/2010 Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen 6/10

No, it's terrible Jake. It really is.

Damn. I was shocked how poorly the reviews were for this film, but if you dig it this much, then I'll definitely have to check it out now. Hopefully it lives up.

It's not as good as the 9/10 I gave it or as good as the book, but it's still very good. I haven't read a review from a British publication that's said it's bad. You'll have to find me some American ones.

Been meaning to buy this, but Tdigs told me it was shit, so I sort of lost interest in it. Maybe I'll get around to it now.

I don't see what's wrong with it, not as good as Oldboy but certainly better than Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance.

You still need to see Blood and Bone, don't you? Check that out when you can, man.

Got it but not got round to watching it.

Haha... I'm going to have to wait until it's on HBO or one of those channels to watch it, but I agree... from the cast alone, the film cannot be as bad as everyone says it is.

No, it is shit, you'd be better off just finding stills and GIFs of Rachael Nichols running.

No, it's terrible Jake. It really is.

I don't know what people expect of a film abour robots. I read somebody say it had bad acting, so what? It's enjoyable rubbish.

Boogie Nights - 9.5/10

Hadn't seen it for what had to be a good five years. Decided to pop it on, and I enjoyed it as much as ever. Such a great, great film that will never get old. Also, the drug scene towards the end has to be one of the greatest scenes in movie history. It remains dramatic and intense, but is still funny as hell at the same time.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) - 4/10

Unfortunately, I've never seen the original. I know it's a classic and must see for everyone, but I just never got around to it. Regardless, I still wanted to watch this remake since it starred two of my favorite actors Jennifer Connelly and Keanu Reeves, and boy did it suck hard. The visuals were incredible, and some of the acting was good, but the story was an absolute mess. Moreover, I never wanted to beat a kid's ass more than Will Smith's son in this movie. He was such an annoying little brat, and yet... this is the asshole with the lead in the Karate Kid Remake. Makes me want to throw up.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - 7/10

The one classic John Hughes film I never watched. Well, I finally did and I enjoyed it. Not as good as my other favorites from Hughes, but still fun nonetheless. The scene where Steve Martin yells at the rent-a-car cashier was fucking hilarious.

A Bronx Tale - 9/10

Even with commercials I can sit down and enjoy this movie. There aren't many others, especially Rated R, I can say that about. But this is one of those few exceptions.

Funny People - 7.5/10

This was very good, but still disappointing. It didn't live up to Aptow's other films (40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up), in my opinion. But, then again... I want to watch it again and see if that changes. It might be the type of comedy that's better the second time you see it. I hope that's the case, anyway.

Breaking Away - 7/10

Nice little inspirational film. Nothing else really to say.

Body Double - 6/10

This was a Tdigs recommendation, and it was a decent enough thriller. I thought it dragged at some points, but overall... not too bad, and I was happy to finally watch it.

Airborne - 6/10

Watched this the other day on Starz. Loved this movie when I was a kid, and it still holds up today pretty well.

3 Ninjas - 5/10

Perhaps at one point during my childhood this was my all time favorite movie, but today it's just ridiculous. It has its moments, but boy is it truly awful. I still couldn't help but to enjoy it though.

Wristcutters: A Love Story - 8/10

The other night when going to sleep, this was starting on IFC and I decided just to watch a second of it... instead, I ended up watching the whole thing. It's a very, very fascinating movie about a guy in 'suicide afterlife' searching for his girlfriend. Check it out if that's the kind of shit that interest you.

Soul Men - 7/10

Hated that Bernie Mac died so young, but this was a great film to end his career on. Very, very funny, and there's an AWESOME tribute to him during the credits. Also, it stars Sharon Leal, who is perhaps the sexiest black woman on the planet, so that's another :thumbsup: about it.

Chameleon - 6.5/10

Indy Japanese film. I would like to explain it, but that's impossible. It's extremely weird. Regardless, there are a couple very raw action scenes in this film that are just awesome. In fact, during one of them, the main character does the Great Muta/Tajiri mist spitting thing. I thought I'd never see that in a movie like this, lol. But yeah.... it had its moments of brilliance, but at the same time... it's a very, very confusing film. Then again, I had an import version of it, so the Sub-Titles could have been fucked up for all I know.

Boy A - 8/10

Another Tdigs recommendation. I was really enjoying this up until the end. I thought the ending was highly improbable and pretentious. Regardless of that though, it's still a very, very good movie up until then. Very dramatic and touching, and is able to make you sympathize with two young men who committed terrible acts of crime that you would otherwise never feel any kind of sympathy for.

The Night Before - 5/10

Basically an eighties version of The Hangover, but it occurs on Prom night and stars Keaun Reeves and the absolutely gorgeous Lori Loughlin. For a pretty shitty film, there are some laugh-out-loud moments I must admit, and Loughlin makes it worth sitting through.

Movies Watched From 22 March 2010 To 26 March 2010

Nutbag (2000) - Las Vegas serial killer flick from Nick Palumbo that runs for 60 minutes and some change. Interesting film...I thought the script was very well-written, but the production values and acting were terrible. Unfortunately, Palumbo's follow-up, Murder Set Pieces, had a shit script but decent acting and great production values. 4/10

Vase De Noces (1974) - Some movie about a farmer who is in love with his pig. My DVD retailer recommended this one to me, and it's his first miss. Oh, well; without him, I wouldn't know about Subconscious Cruelty, Singapore Sling, In A Glass Cage, and Gutterballs. 0/10 (TURKEY!)

Hausu (1977) - Why, oh, why did I just only learn about this film? The director of this film, Nobuhiko Obayashi, is easily just as fucked up in the head as Takashi Miike and Shinya Tsukamoto. I can't wait to see if this guy has more hilarious and deranged gems in his oeuvre. I would try to give you an explanation of this film, but, words can't really do it justice. It's just something you have to see to fully appreciate. 8/10

Jurassic Park 3(7/10)

I watched this movie for at least the 5th time, and I still love it. Jurassic Park 3 is easily my favorite out of all three films, and I think it's the best out of the trilogy. I liked the first Jurassic Park, but I thought the Lost World was a steaming pile of garbage. The Lost World was so ridiculous at some points. They should've made that movie as a comedy, and then maybe I would've been able to get into it.

Jurassic Park 3 was filled with action, and it also had a pretty decent story. The Spinosaurus dinosaur was awesome in this movie, and it was also good to see Sam Neil(Dr.Grant) back.

Zombieland(8/10)

This is just a VERY fun movie to watch. Woddy Harelson was great in this movie. This cast had great chemistry, and each character was unique in their own way. Grisly zombie kills, humor, and action.....what more could you ask for?

Ghost Rider(2/10)

This movie is one of the main reasons why I have begun to despise Nicholas Cage over the years. This movie is just plain bad. Is Cage suppose to be a hero or a vigilante? Or does he just transform into the Ghost Rider, and go insane by destroying everything? It's sad because this movie actually started off pretty good, but then it went way down hill pretty fast. Sam Elliot does a good job in this film, but still, his performance isn't enough to save this film.

The only thing worth looking at in this movie is Eva Mendes.

Revolutionary Road(9/10)

This movie is very good. Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet put on some great performances in this one. This movie does a good job at showing how "The American Dream" isn't all that it's cracked up to be. This film is set in the 50's, and everything is so on point when it comes to the scenery, and culture. Revolutionary Road also shows the happy and painful side of married life.

The Proposition (9/10)

This movie is just breath taking. The Proposition is set in the 1880's, and it's about the series of events that take place following a horrific crime that was allegedly committed by a notorious gang. Visually this movie was amazing, and this film did a great job of capturing the culture during that time.

I'd give Cannibal Holocaust a 4/5. Shockingly disgusting and disturbing but at the same time, so very entertaining. Ruggero Deodato is a beast.

Shutter Island gets a 3.5/5. Entertaining and thrilling though I wasn't too impressed with the twist. Dicaprio was terrific but Scorsese has done much better.

This is my first log, and I can't really remember all the films I've seen recently, but I'll try. I'll go in order of most recent.

A Serious Man: 7.5/10.

I love the coen brothers, and this was another good movie, but not as enjoyable as some of their others. Their endings are always a bit weird, and this one lives up to that, but the film does take a while to get into it. It captures helplessness and despair brilliantly, as everything seems to be going wrong for the main character, and he's just so confused about how everyone can be so inconsiderate to him and perplexing.

Intermission: 8/10

A great irish film, starring Colin Farrell, Colm Meaney and Cillian Murphy. Thoroughly enjoyable and very funny, focusing on the relationship and hardships of working class dubliners.

Role Models: 6.5/10

I thought this was pretty funny, a good film to watch with my mates. Christopher Mintz-Plasse was pretty good, but the other kid was just too stereotypical for my liking.

Robocop: 7.5/10

Full of action, and a decent plot. Very enjoyable.

Alice in Wonderland (2010): 7/10

I was looking forward to it, and even though it was disappointing, I liked it. Johnny Depp is one of my favourite actors, so I was interested in how he'd perform, and he didn't disappoint. Aside from him, nothing else really interested me much. Anne Hathaway was annoying, and helena Bonham carter was alright

Shutter Island: 8.5/10

I loved this film. It was suspenseful, thrilling and very enthralling, and of course the plot, well twist, was excellent. Other Hollywood films should take note.

The Big Lebowski: 10/10

Brilliant, brilliant movie. Everthing was perfect, the acting, the dialogue, the plot. Everything. Jeff Bridges was excellent, as were John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and John Turturro whenever they appeared.

District 9: 9/10

Brilliant, totally blows Avatar out of the water on everything except cgi, production value and, of course, box office revenue.

Entre Le Murs/ The Class: 7/10

French film that won the palme d'or at Cannes one or two years ago, and I went with my school to go see it. Everyone except for me despised it. I liked it, although it dragged on for a while, it explores interesting topics such as racism is french schools, and france in general. Kids these days just can't appreciate a film that's entertaining because of dialogue or acting rather than what it's about. If there isn't an explosion, a vampire or an alien, it sucks.

The Breakfast Club: 8.5/10

Based on people like JMT's love for this, I decided to check it out and loved it. Highly entertaining, and Judd Nelson puts in a great performance.

That's all I can remember at the moment, I'll update it again in a while

Updated from 16/3.

Film of the update, The House Of The Devil, slow burn horror in which nothing happens at all until 10 minutes before the end, brilliant. Actually looks like a 70's film, unlike all the other films that try and fail.

Worst film of the update, Raising Jeffrey Dahmer, made by film students who should know better. Don't make a film just because you can, it'll end up in the £1 shop and it'll be hated by the writer of Killer Squirrels (unfinanced).

Scene of the update, either the one in Postal where lost of children get shot or the scene in Feast 2 where a man saves a baby but then uses the baby to save his own skin, tough call.

Most pointless use of real sex is a movie, Ex Drummer. It's in there because...?

I enjoyed 2012 even though it's one of the dumbest films I've erver seen. How come the world never actually ends in films like this? MMA in films is worthless, ok so while you go for this armbar I'll just gouge out you eye, no, what do you mean I can't fight logically? Gary Oldman isn't in Leon as much as I remember, shame. Kick-Ass is entertaining and it's a good job Heath Ledger won the Oscar for Batman, because he wasn't going to win it for his last film.

The Descent(2005) 8/10

This is a very good horror flick. There's tons of suspense, and eye covering moments in this film. The cast of women in this movie did a pretty good job acting. The story is also pretty good, and this movie has one of those endings that will make you gasp. I also thought the way the creatures were used in this film was brilliant.

Prom Night(2008) 4/10

This movie wasn't really bad, but it also wasn't that good either. Besides a couple of hot women running from a deranged killer, there's really nothing worth watching in this movie. The acting was sub-par at best, and for some reason the music in this film really pissed me off. I couldn't stand it. I was looking for the the original Prom Night(1980) and the sequels that followed that film, but I couldn't find them. So I settled for this one, when I saw it on Encore the other night.

Jeepers Creepers 2(2003) 2/10

This film is so fucking ridiculous. I can't even laugh at this movie for being really bad. I finally saw this film for the first time since seeing it in theaters years ago, and now I remember why I hate it so much. This film starts out good, but then it goes down hill after that. A bunch of high school kids trapped on a school bus who are trying to survive the Creeper? Who came up with this damn story? I also give this a bad rating because I loved the first Jeepers Creepers so much, and this was a horrible way to follow up that film.

28 Weeks Later(2007) 6/10

This film isn't is as good as 28 Days Later, but it's decent. My main problem with this film is that it went a little bit too Hollywood for my taste. Besides the epidemic, this film does have a nice little story involving the two children, and their parents.

Black X-Mas (2006) 4/10

Again, I couldn't find the original, so I settled for this version. Just like Prom Night(2008) there's nothing really special about this film. The whole film is nothing more than a bunch of clueless hot girls trying to avoid a psycho killer. Also, there's a very, very creepy twist at the end of this movie. Horror+Christmas sounds unique, but it wasn't done well in this film.

Some of the movies I've watched in the last 12 months, and bear in mind there was a crapload of video stores that went out of business in like 3 months, so there will be some obscure movies on my list...

Just Married (dvd)-6/10- I didn't like it at first when I saw it at the movies. Then I bought it for 98 cents. I watched it the other night and found it HILARIOUS. Ashton's take on his gf's french bulldog...classic. :lol:

The Goods- 9/10- granted, I love goofball movies. But this was filled with TONS of quotable lines. Piven was classic in this movie. I loved his career and how he did business. The plot was hilarious and the characters fit the craziness perfectly. :worship:

The Hangover-7.5/10- I loved it. Although there were times I was a little bored. But Zach Galifanakis was the main attraction for me. The gross out comedy does it to me. :lmao:

Paranormal State- 2.5/10- I turned it off about halfway through. This was boring as hell for me. I didn't see the big deal. :disappointed:

Keep Your Distance- 7/10- this is an indie flick, recommended to me by the guy at the video store that was closing. It wasn't bad. Had Gil Bellows, Kim Raver (from 24), Christian Kane in it. Some parts were a bit unusual, but overall, pretty decent. I'd recommend it to friends.

The Ugly Truth-3/10- Gerard Butler was pretty funny in this, but Katherine Heigl, I think she needs to stick to Gray Anatomy. Sorry.

Her Minor Thing- 6/10-Another indie flick from the video store friend. Estella Warren, Michael Weatherly (NCIS), Christian Kane. A girl is dating a news anchor, he accidentally announces on live telecast he's dating a virgin. Of course, chaos ensues. I thought it was a pretty cute movie.

Land of The Lost- (new one with Will Ferrel)- 3/10. I just did NOT like it, period.

Albino Farm- 6/10- It wasn't a bad movie. It did drag out in some places. The whole twist at the end was pretty unexpected. But I did dig it, and the gore didn't hurt either.

Blade:Trinity-7.5/10- this has been on tv like crazy lately. I ain't much a action fan. But this is kinda cool because Ryan Reynolds brings great comedy with his quips. Love his cantor through out. Makes it watchable for me. :)

The Bad Lieutenant: Part of Call-New Orleans- A very interesting film. Nicholas Cage is an actor I have no interest in watching anymore but I gave this movie a shot. It is much better then most of his films now. At times he was very good but at other times he was not very good. Eva Mendes gave a solid performance as did Val Kilmer from the little bit he was in, though his last scene seemed very unnecessary. 7/10

The Collector- Solid horror film. Very good idea for a movie but it drug on a little bit at times. The kill scenes were interesting but way more unrealistic then those in Saw. Madeline Zima has nice tits. 7/10

Repo: The Genetic Opera- Horrible opera. The singing was atrocious only save by the fact that they allowed Bill Moseley to actually sing as well. God, how I love Moseley. Very interesting premise for a film but not very well put together. 5/10

Hatchet-Fun kill scenes and hot topless chicks are a solid starting point for a B level horror film. They even managed to get some half way decent actors as well. However, the movie gets incredibly far fetched even for a B horror picture. It also gets convoluted and messy with all the repetitive running. 5/10

Midnight Movie- Another B level horror movie. I actually watched it before Hatchet because they were both on the same channel. I liked the big biker guy but the most is just stupid and annoying. The killer can only kill as long as the movie about him is playing. Remind me to never check that movie out. 3/10

Another Movie I watched over the weekend, and it was recommended to me by my mother, she's been trying to get me to watch it forever...I bought it from the video store closeouts in my area..

SECONDHAND LIONS- Robert Duvall, Michael Caine, Haley Joel Osment; 8/10- Takes place in the late 50's. I actually LOVED this movie. a young boy is sent to live with his eccentric great-uncles for the summer. The family rumors surrounding them is that they have millions of dollars hidden away. He ends up being told of great stories of them travelling the world and having swashbuckling adventures, which was part of the excitement in this movie. The uncles grow to understand the little boy and vice versa. It was quite a good story. I'm only sad I didn't see it sooner. I STRONGLY recommend it. If you get the DVD, please check out the special features which include good deleted scenes, and the orignal ending.

The Blind Side - 9/10

The film and Sandra Bullock's performance lives up to the hype. Great, touching movie, and was definitely one of the best of 2009.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 3/10

Absolute shit. Only decent thing about it was Taylor Kitsch as Gambit (I would definitely love to see a movie revolved around that character with Kitsch starring).

My Best Friend's Girl - 5/10

Dane Cook actually made me LOL a few times in this one. He was actually pretty good, overall, believe it or not. But yeah... nothing special; just a fun little comedy.

Anything Else - 6/10

Decent Woody Allen movie. Christina Richie's character makes me give it a higher rating then this movie probably deserves, but that was one of the most realistic portraits of a young woman I've ever seen in any film. It really was.

Cast Away - 6/10

Man, I loved this movie when I was younger, and while the island scenes are still AWESOME, and Tom Hanks still gives an incredible performance, the last 15 or so minutes of this movie are TERRIBLE and it has one of the worst endings in any movie, ever. I can't believe I used to actually like this junk once upon of time (for the record, I hadn't seen it since I was like 16, so that's why the ending being so shit caught me by surprise).

Any Given Sunday - 7/10

Guilty pleasure of mine. I saw this with my dad at the movie theater on its opening day, so it will always hold a special place in my heart since it was the last movie I ever saw with him at a theater (he's not dead or anything, lol, just a long story). So, yeah.. I really like this movie, even if it has the worst editing imaginable. Seriously, with better editing and music, this film would have been a masterpiece. But Stone really fucked it up.

Donnie Darko (Director's Cut) - 9/10

Hated it when I first saw it a few years back, but loved it a couple of weeks ago when I gave it another shot. Great, great movie.

Dare - 9/10

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=1956286#post1956286

Raging Bull - 10/10

Just felt like watching this one random night. One of my all time favorites.

The Godfather Part II - 10/10
The Godfather - 9/10
The Godfather Part III - 5/10

Like Raging Bull, just felt like watching one of my all time favorite movies, The Godfather Part II one day, which then gave me the urge to watch #1 and #3. Part 1 is very, very good, but doesn't hold a candle to Part 2. And Part 3 kind of sucks, but Micheal's confession alone gives it a 5. Love that fucking scene.

L.I.E. - 8/10

This was a Tdigs recommendation, and it turned out to be great. It starred Paul Dano (in his first role, I believe) and Brian Cox, and man... it's like no other movie you've ever seen. It really takes different look at such a controversial subject. Check it out.

Rambo - 6/10

Always fun to see Rambo kill some scumbags. It's nothing compared to First Blood, but then again... a lot of movies are nothing compared to that masterpiece. Still a very fun movie though.

Dance of the Dead - 7/10

On a fun level, this is a 10/10. Check it out if you haven't already.

Scream - 7/10

Just popped this on the other night. Hadn't seen it in so long, but it definitely still holds up.

Fido 2/10

Stupid ass fucking movie Tdigs begged me to watch. Actually, Tdigs hates it too and told me to stay away, but I have a lady friend who adores this movie and wanted me to see it, so I did. But it's annoying, dumb shit, unfortunately.

Match Point - 10/10

By far Woody Allen's best movie, in my opinion. I love it.

Taken - 4/10

On a preposterous/unrealistic level, this movie almost ranks up there with Eagle Eye. I can understand that it's not supposed to be realistic, but man... how much can someone suspend disbelief? Also, the girl in this film was so fucking terrible. First of all, she ran like a legitimate ******. Secondly, her 'drama' scenes just made you cringe. How can people like Lost so much when this bitch is a focal point? She sucks. And Liam Neeson... big miscast. Good actor, but not right for this role.

Once Upon a Time in America (Director's Cut) - 7/10

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=2000406#post2000406

Up in the Air - 8/10

Great little movie with tremendous acting and a ton of heart. Fuck whatever Tdigs has to say about it; this movie is great. Also, Anna Kendrick may be the most adorable thing walking on this planet.

In Bruges - 8/10

Hilarious, very fun movie. Another one Tdigs hates, but it's great, great fun. Colin Farrell especially is amazing in this. He literally blew me away with his performance. I knew he was a good actor before this, but man... this performance puts him up there with the elite, IMO.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 8/10

IndyJon persuaded me to see this, and I'm glad he did because it's awesome. A little confusing at times, but overall... it's original and just a ton of fun. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely superb in it, too. And this has Val Kilmer's best performance since Heat as well, in my opinion.

A League of their Own 9/10

Another one I just felt like watching the other night. It was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid, and I still love it today. Tom Hanks in this film is beyond spectacular, and it's my favorite performance from him. What keeps this from being a ten though is Kit's team winning at the end. She was such a crybaby bitch; I don't know if that how she was written, or if Lori Petty was just a miscast (most likely the latter because she fucking sucks in everything she does), but I felt no sympathy towards Kit at all and it blows that she won the final game. I always hated that, and being an adult now doesn't change it.

Can't Buy Me Love - 5/10

Decent 80s teen comedy starring Patrick Dempsey. Not one of the best, though not one of the worst, either.

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) - 10/10

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=2012393#post2012393

30/4/10: So I watched Iron Man 2 yesterday, absolutely awesome movie, I never got to watch Iron man 1, simply because I didn't see the interest in it, a friend swayed me to go watch it with him in the cinema, and so I did, and I was absolutely blown away, awesome movie of pure action and some very well placed comedy scenes.

If you haven't watched this one, you better get going! I'll give it a 8/10, reason why it's not a 10, is because I feel it could've been better at some scenes, but all in all it's a very good movie that you simply can't miss.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 8/10

IndyJon persuaded me to see this, and I'm glad he did because it's awesome. A little confusing at times, but overall... it's original and just a ton of fun. Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely superb in it, too. And this has Val Kilmer's best performance since Heat as well, in my opinion.

Glad to hear this man. Like I have told you and others before, this is easily my favorite film. Downey delivers a great role and actually the role I find to be his best. Kilmer was awesome and Corbin Bernsen was amazing. It's a shame it went under the radar like it did, because I feel as though it could have done really well had it gotten some press.

As for films I have recently seen.

Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus- Confusing film but well acted. Not Terry Gilliams greatest work but a valiant effort in my eyes. The visuals were very good. Legder will always be known as The Joker but he is very good in this film as well. Johnny Depp's small roll was also good but, the best performance was from Christopher Plummer. He did an outstanding job.
8/10

Deadly Impact- Starring Joe Pantaliano and Sean Patrick Flannery. Fun little action film but not real great. If like cat and mouse movies then you'll enjoy this film.
5/10

Defendor- I was very surprised by this film. I really thought it was going to be cheesy and not very well put together but on the contrary it was. It has a ton of heart in it and I really loved Woody Harrelson's role. Kat Dennings is gorgeous, in my eyes at least, and she gave an acceptable performance as well.
7/10

Transylmania- Stupid humor galore in this one, which isn't a bad thing. The movie was confusing at times because it seemed as if it took itself serious and then remembered it was a comedy. Parts were funny but not a real great film.
5/10

Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief- I am a huge fan of the book series so needless to say I was a little hesitant going into this one. I will give it credit where credit is due for being a good film to watch, as long as you have never read the book. If you have read the book then you will know that this is one of the most atrocious book to film crossovers ever. I will always enjoy it as a film but will never consider it to be based on a book.
7/10

Updated from 9/4/2010

Watching The Girlfriend Experience, which I enjoyed, I found Sasha Gray to be rather attractive. I've probably never paid much attention to her before because I think she's got the body of a 15 year old, and despite the rumours I spread against myself, I'm not actually intrested in teens. But seeing as she was looking pretty in this film I decided to go to my garage where I keep all my pornography, £15 for two if you're intrested, and I picked out a Sasha Grey specific DVD. On it she get's fucked by a gentleman in a teddy outfit in one scene and then she does a piss and drinks it in another. I shoulda know from the title, it said Deviation, what I was getting. Sasha, baby, that's not really my thing. I'll stick to Natasha Nice, she's a real woman.

So it turns out that Ted Dibiase Jr is a better actor than John Cena, he's somewhere between Steve Austin & The Undertaker in Suburban Commando. That still doesn't make him a good actor, that's just me pointing out the obvious, he's better than Cena. Shame The Marine 2 is nowhere near as entertaining as The Marine 1. Michael Rooker, what the fuck are you doing here?

Donnie Darko really was a fluke, so it seems.

I watched 1992 Bad Lieutenant in preparation for the Herzog/Cagey collaboration, I'm glad to hear they're supposed to be totally different. Another Abel Ferrara film I don't like.

Law Abiding Citizen would've been better if they'd only embraced how stupid it is.

Films That Weren't As Good/Entertaining As I Remember: Beetlejuice, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Roxanne, U-Turn, Waltz With Bashir & The Bodyguard.

Fish Tank is probably one of my favorite films about an adult taking advantage of somebody younger than them. Michael Fassbender for The Riddler.

The Hurt Locker? Better than Avatar, in my opinion.

Overnight wins the documentary of the update award. Religulous & Zoo put up a fight, but in the end a serious documentary about film making wins out over a comedy documentary about religion and a comedy documentary about a bloke who thought having a horse penis inside him wouldn't do any internal damage.

Pontypool, not set in Wales fact fans.

Y'know, if An American Wereworlf In London was made now, he'd get C-Diff whilst in hospital which would probably fight of the werewolf superbug. Then maybe he could've gone home with Jenny Agutter and just spent then next 30 minutes of the film showering.

44 Inch Chest was awful, they got me when they said ''From The Writers Of Sexy Beast''. I suppose it was 10 yeasr ago. In the end I just skipped to the parts with Joanne Walley. Val Kilmer, you fool.

''Hey I've found some pictures''. ''Of what?''. ''It's you being sexually abused by Freddy Kruger''. Really, in a popcorn horror film?

Film Of The Update: The Descent.

Terminator Salvation(2009) 6/10- I don't think this movie is as bad as some people made it out to be. Salvation is a pretty decent sci-fi/action movie. Christian Bale did an okay job as John Connor, and the acting from everyone else was good. Although, I would have to say this movie probably ranks last out of all of the Terminator films. I would have to say Terminator 2: Judgment Day was the best one.

The Strangers(2008) 9/10- This is by far one of the best horror movies I've seen over the past couple of years. This movie isn't your typical Gorey horror flick, but this film is filled with suspense and it can be very creepy at times.

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen(2003) 3/10- This movie just felt like one giant clusterfuck to me. Some of the most legendary literary fictional characters join forces to stop another legendary bad guy? This is one of those movies that sounds good on paper, but things don't live up to the hype when it comes on screen. By the way, this movie has to have one of the worst endings ever. Why Sean Connery decided to take this role is something that still boggles my mind.

88 Minutes(2007) 1/10- Shit. Pure shit. This movie was horrible from beginning to end, and again, Neal McDonough was a horrible choice for the main villain here. When I saw the trailer for this movie, I thought I was going to see a film filled with suspense and action, but boy was I wrong. This movie is very dull and boring, and Al Pacino just seems to be going through the motions during this entire film.

Righteous Kill(2008) 3/10- This movie wasn't as horrible as 88 Minutes, but it also wasn't a good or decent film. This movie had a better cast, but the story was very predictable and lame. The big twist towards the end just didn't wow me at all, and if you play close attention to the movie, you can see it coming. De Niro did a good job in this one, but his performance wasn't enough to save the movie. It's kind of a big let down, because I was really looking forward to the BIG reunion on screen between De Niro and Pacino.

The Losers(2010) 7/10- I saw this one last night, and this movie did sort of surprise me. For some reason, I was expecting this film to be horrible, but The Losers is actually a very fun action film to watch. The story is solid, and the acting from almost everyone is pretty good. I found the main villain to be kind of goofy, but overall, his character was okay.

So I am currently watching 100 movies in 100 days and am about 20 days in. I feel as though it is time to finally list some of these films on here.

Pandorum- Very underwhelming film. The movie just wasn't as exciting or even as dramatic as some people hyped it up to be. It's okay but nothing all that special. I was very upset that they killed Norman Reedus so quickly after making him out to be a survivor. 5/10

Nightmare on Elm Street- Pure shit. Your film has a problem when it doesn't establish its main character until 2/3's of the film is over. Freddy was decent enough but everything else lacked. 4/10

The Graduate- The soundtrack annoyed the piss out of me. I enjoy Simon and Garfunkel but there is a point where I get sick of hearing the same 3 songs over and over. I wasn't very impressed with the film at all. Hoffman was good. 7.5/10.

Bubba Ho-Tep
- I enjoyed this film. It didn't take itself seriously which was nice. Bruce Campbell always makes me happy. It had a good mixture of comedy with drama but definitely focused more on the absurd. The soundtrack was very good. 8/10

His Name Was Jason- Very interesting look into the history of one of the greatest horror franchises ever. It was very cool to see what the people who helped make the film thought of the franchise and their time making the films. 7/10

Hatari!- Old school John Wayne film. It was interesting seeing Wayne not playing his typical cowboy/soldier role. I really enjoyed the details put into the films, meaning the visuals. 8/10

Robin Hood- Kind of bland. A little to much talking and not enough action but that should change in the next film. I really enjoyed Russel Crowes role. 7/10

Drag Me to Hell- Cheesy as fuck and I loved almost every minute of it. Talking goats are the way to my heart. One of the better mainstream horror flicks in the last 10 years. 7/10

The Shortcut
- Scary Madison's first venture into the horror genre. Would have been much better with the R rating. Not horrible but not good either. 5/10

MacGruber- Stupid as fuck but I enjoyed it. The epicness in every scene of this films is the kind of epicness that should make your head explode. Will Forte was decent but Kristen Wiig was definitely the best performance. 6/10

Clay Pigeons- Joaquin Phoenix and Vince Vaughn. I was fairly impressed with this film. Vaughn and Phoenix actually had very good chemistry. Ridley Scott's input obviously showed through in this film with the small cameo by the film Alien. 7/10

Missionary Man- Dolph Lundgren really should make a film titled Full Penetration because it couldn't be much worse then this film. Lundgren films are fun to watch but not in that serious way and this film should never be taken seriously. Very poorly put together but borderline hilarious at the same time. 4/10

Kingdom of Heaven- Very impressed by this film. I have never seen Orlando Bloom look and act better in a film. Norton was on point as well. The action was good and the story was good and the funny thing is I am talking about the non uncut version. 8.5/10

Shrek: Fourever After- I love Shrek and this was the best one since the original. Puss in Boots stole the show. Good film for little kids to see and for fun, juvenile jokes. 7/10

College- The poor mans SuperBad. You had the nerd, fat kid and socially awkward kid just like SuperBad. Nothing special or all that original. There were sporadic moments where the movie was funny. 5/10

The Thaw- Shitty. Val Kilmer really shouldn't have signed on for this film. It took me 3 times until I finally got through the entire film. 2/10

Alice in Wonderland- I wasn't all that impressed. Johnny Depp was good but the film was just boring. Not enough action and the final fight was a little bland. The visual were very solid however. 7/10

Invictus- Powerful film. How has Morgan Freeman never won a Best Male Actor award at the Oscars? This film really makes you think. It also got me even more excited for the World Cup which begins very soon. 8.5/10

Day Breakers- Decent. Not the greatest vampire movie ever but a nice attempt. I like that that the movie showed the world in a primarily vampire way. It kind of gave a view from the other side. 7/10

Friday the 13th Part 2- It's pretty sad, but I have never seen all of Part 2. Very enjoyable sequel. Not very often you get to see a cripple jacked in the face with a machete. 7/10

Kingdom of Heaven- Very impressed by this film. I have never seen Orlando Bloom look and act better in a film. Norton was on point as well. The action was good and the story was good and the funny thing is I am talking about the non uncut version. 8.5/10

You. Must. See. The directors cut. Enhances the film ten fold. Cant say enough about it.

Donnie Brasco(1997) 9/10- I love this movie. Johnny Depp and Al Pacino put on some amazing performances in this one. The story was nothing original, but this film had such a great cast. The ending was very bittersweet. It made you hate Johnny Depp, and feel bad for Al Pacino.

I Am Legend(2007) 6/10- I'm always on the fence when it comes to this film. Will Smith did an amazing job in this one, but the entire movie is kind of boring. I know he's supposed to be the last man on earth, but this film collapses towards the end. Also, there's an alternate ending on the DVD, but it's not that great.

The Spirit(2008) 5/10- This was okay. I thought this film would be like Sin City, but I was wrong. Sin City had a lot of life and energy to it. This movie was dull, and The Spirit was not the greatest crime fighter/hero. Although, this movie did have a good cast, and Eva Mendes kind of caught me off guard with her surprisingly good performance here, because she's usually just eye candy.

Blow(2001) 8/10- Again, Johnny Depp was amazing here. Penelope Cruz also put on a great performance. There were times where I seriously hated her in this one. This story has been done before. It's about how an average Joe is able to rise from nothing, and become rich through dealing cocaine. Still, this was a very good movie, and the acting was superb.

Never Back Down(2008) 2/10 This movie was just bad. This film is about a pissed off kid who's trying to control his anger, so he takes up MMA. He of course gets involved with a girl who has a physco boyfriend, and well you should be able to know what happens next. This film is very predictable, very generic, and very bad.

I'm going to begin with my top three movies from this year. Then just kinda go from there on movies that I can recall.

1. Law Abiding Citizen: Starring Gerald Butler & Jamie Foxx. An interesting blend of law and how the rules of society can be bent, revenge, and an ironic ending. I really thought this was one of Gerald Butler's best films yet. 5/5

2. Time Traveler's Wife: Starring Eric Bana & Rachel McAdams. A unique story of a man who can't control himself from jumping between different (important) moments in his life, that all somehow seem to revolve around his one true love. The reason this movie is 2nd on my best-of for this year, is because of the chemistry McAdams and Bana have. The only thing I'll say is - don't attempt to watch this if you're even remotely not willing to pay full attention. You'll be lost before you ever figure out anything. 5/5

3. Hachi: A Dog's Tale: Starring Richard Gere. Based off a true story of an Animal that becomes so attached to his owner, that it waits 9 1/2 years for the owner to return to a train station and he never does. (heart attack) I was later informed that the book in relation to this story, is required reading in Iowa. (not sure why) If you have any emotion for animals, this is a can't miss movie. 5/5
--------------

Now, for the general rundown. In no particular order.

Where the Wild Things Are: Starring Max Records. With voices of; James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara & Forest Whitaker. Based on the classic children's story. I can not stand this movie, and I find myself constantly trying to re-direct Parent's away from this film for their children. It teaches kids that tantrums, and lashing out in childish attacks (biting), and even running away, albeit wrong - are okay to do, as long as you return - you'll be rewarded for coming back. 2/5

The Fourth Kind: Starring Mila Jovovich. The opening basis is that its based off true events, but you're told to try and figure out whats real and whats fake for yourself. I later found out this was partly because the use of the F.B.I. was made in this film and they demanded the film makers to inform people their involvement was purely fictional?! At any rate, this film gave me goosebumps and thats impressive for any film to do these days. Its about Aliens and contact between them and the Human race. Takes place in Alaska and they have a nice blend of "real" footage mixed in with reenactments. 4.5/5 (only missing out on the full 5/5 rating due to what I later read through the background of the movie - including the F.B.I. bit - which disappointed me.

Did You Hear About the Morgans?: Starring Hugh Grant & Sarah Jessica Parker. Your typical couple gone sour, needs something exciting to respice and refuel their relationship. Basically they witness a murder, and the big city slickers get relocated to a hick farm town. Sarah Jessica Parker is just unbearable to watch in anything, and I'm convinced Hugh Grant is a robot programmed to act the exact same in all of his movies. 1/5

Brothers: Starring Natalie Portman, Jake Gyllenhaal & Tobey Maguire. How much can war take effect on a Soldier? This movie dives into that question. Maguire plays the 'perfect soldier' who goes missing over seas, whereas his opposite brother (Gyllenhaal) is trying to restart and rebuild his life by becoming a better person yet never the 'other brother'. Upon his return, Maguire starts allowing thoughts to possess him into the belief that his Wife cheated on him with his brother, and that he is no longer needed in the world that assumed he was dead.

In my opinion, this movie was great in all aspects - except that of Tobey Maguire. He was potrayed as this dominate soldier pushed to the very limits of humanity? Are you kidding me?! He looked like the type of person who'd crack if you merely showed him a picture of a gun - let alone the type of guy who'd hold up to pure torture. He was also overly dramatic, ruining the film for me. 3/5

The Lovely Bones: Starring Susan Sarandon, Rachel Weisz, Stanley Tucci & Mark Wahlberg. Very gripping story and plot. Young girl goes missing, and murdered. While part of the story follows her in limbo/heaven, the other part follows her murderer and Family. I found the movie utterly boring, more than it ever should've been. It was slow moving and in the end I thought the ending was even worse. So - the murderer gets away with the death of those he's killed, only to ultimately be done in by.. Karma?! No, very stupid ending. 1/5

Dear John: Starring Channing Tatum & Amanda Seyfried. Another romance story. Love blossoms between a typical Woman and a Soldier who's stationed thousands of miles away. The first interesting aspect of this was that they centered it around 9/11. The story isn't as unique as some would think. The acting was better than I thought it'd be and the story makes you want to practically HATE Amanda Seyfried. Without ruining what happens, I'll simply say its worth renting to see - but the ending is bad and the Alternative ending is even worse. 3/5

The Road: Starring Viggo Mortensen, Charlize Theron, Robert Duvall & Guy Pearce. Don't let the actors/actresses fool you. With the exception of Viggo, the rest are nothing more than cameos. This is a great story. Its very disturbing in parts, shocking and gripping in others. A tremendous view of a Father's love for his Son, and the connection on how far a Father will go to protect his Son. Viggo is outstanding in this movie. I've heard a lot of criticism for the lack of visual effects for a post-apocalyptic film. In my opinion, if you're one of those that complained for this reason - you're an idiot who didn't understand the purpose behind the overall story. 5/5

Wow Will...5 out of 5 to Law Abiding Citizen? Seriously? That movie was shit, and everyone making and starring in the film pretty much knew it was shit, and went ahead anyways. That film was so bad I was laughing through most of it. Absolutely atrocious writing, cheesy acting, nonsensical plot, and piss-poor direction. I simply cannot fathom how you could think that film was worthy of a perfect score. I'm just flabbergasted. It was a third-rate Death Wish rip-off with much worse acting, writing, and directing.

I'll update my log later. Shit ton of movies.

Wow Will...5 out of 5 to Law Abiding Citizen? Seriously? That movie was shit, and everyone making and starring in the film pretty much knew it was shit, and went ahead anyways. That film was so bad I was laughing through most of it. Absolutely atrocious writing, cheesy acting, nonsensical plot, and piss-poor direction. I simply cannot fathom how you could think that film was worthy of a perfect score. I'm just flabbergasted. It was a third-rate Death Wish rip-off with much worse acting, writing, and directing.

I'll update my log later. Shit ton of movies.

With the way you describe and talk about the movie, you'd think the 3/5 rating you gave it yourself was above and beyond what it was worth. Care to explain why your rating was basically saying it was half way decent, more or less?

As for why its ranked as my favorite movie of the year is for two reasons.

1. I'm a Father, and from the opening scene of murder and rape - straight through to the final scene of him holding his child's bracelet. I was attached straight throughout with emotions on high. This movie was all about redemption and vengeance over the loss of loved ones.

2. It shows you how truly corrupt the legal/law system truly is. How so many loop holes are there for criminals to merely get by with murder, all on technicalities.

You say the acting was horrible, but I say Gerald Butler played his role to a tee, regarding that of a vengeful Husband and Father. Jamie Foxx may not have hit his role spot-on, but he made you want to punch him - which was (at least in the beginning) what the purpose was for.

The only part of the movie and the story that I truly didn't like, was the ironic twist on how the vengeful Husband/Father, who was fighting for what he felt was proper justice.. turned into a cold-hearted and careless murderer himself.

Yet at the same time, someone pointed out the reason he was going to kill everyone - even though Foxx admitted to what Butler was pushing for all along - was because until a new board is created, the same loop holes and injustices will continue to happen. And not until a fresh board, will anything truly change.

With the way you describe and talk about the movie, you'd think the 3/5 rating you gave it yourself was above and beyond what it was worth. Care to explain why your rating was basically saying it was half way decent, more or less?

3/5 is the rating I almost always give to enjoyable trash. Don't mistake it for not beig trash though, it absolutely is. I also gave a 3/5 to Red Dawn and Scream 3 Will. Not exactly masterpieces of cinema are those two.

Law Abiding Citizen is enjoyable trash. Still trash though.

As for why its ranked as my favorite movie of the year is for two reasons.

1. I'm a Father, and from the opening scene of murder and rape - straight through to the final scene of him holding his child's bracelet. I was attached straight throughout with emotions on high. This movie was all about redemption and vengeance over the loss of loved ones.

Redemption? What redemption? He turned into a fucking monster that murdered completely innocent people who had nothing to do with the deaths of his family. And then SPOILER ALERT, he dies by his own doing. How is that redemption Will?

2. It shows you how truly corrupt the legal/law system truly is. How so many loop holes are there for criminals to merely get by with murder, all on technicalities.

If you actually think this film was an accurate portrayal of our legal system Will...well shit, I've got bad news for you---it's not. At all. Do you have any idea how rare it is for murderers to get off scott clean because of a technicality? Incredibly rare.

You say the acting was horrible, but I say Gerald Butler played his role to a tee, regarding that of a vengeful Husband and Father.

Oh please, Butler was the worst of everyone in the entire film, he has the emotional range of a dry paper sack. The performance started off good, and then quickly turned into a poorly developed caricature/stereotype of a character. He spent the majority of the movie killing innocent people. We're supposed to feel bad for this guy? The guy was a fucking psychopath and never once made me care in the slightest bit about what happened to him.

Jamie Foxx may not have hit his role spot-on, but he made you want to punch him - which was (at least in the beginning) what the purpose was for.

Foxx was decent. Not one of his better performances.

The only part of the movie and the story that I truly didn't like, was the ironic twist on how the vengeful Husband/Father, who was fighting for what he felt was proper justice.. turned into a cold-hearted and careless murderer himself.

Which is one of the things that makes the film so shit Will. It has no idea what it wants to be---one minute it's a revenge film, the next it's a crime thriller, then suddenly it's a fuckin' action film? It has no idea what it wants to be, who it wants you to root for. Are we supposed to root for the psychopath who's family was murdered, or the callous lawyer in Jaime Foxx? The film went back and forth between those two playing the protagonist that by the end of the film you're left completely unsatisfied with the results. Butler dies from his own hand after completely ruining any sympathy we might have had for him, while the asshole lawyer goes to his daughter's recital. Are we supposed to care? I know I sure didn't. The only thing that kept this film enjoyable was the over-the-top gore and acting. Gerard Butler was SO over the top here, I thought maybe the film had descended into a parody of itself at some points.

Yet at the same time, someone pointed out the reason he was going to kill everyone - even though Foxx admitted to what Butler was pushing for all along - was because until a new board is created, the same loop holes and injustices will continue to happen. And not until a fresh board, will anything truly change.

So the message of the film is that it's okay to murder innocent people to satisfy your own anger over the deaths of loved ones? That's the message Will? That's a terrible message if I may say so. The film spends maybe, what, five minutes MAX actually discussing these technicalities and how they're exploited. If that's the entire message and theme of the film, and they can't even spend more than five minutes to flesh it out, I call that an incredibly poorly made film.

Now that I think about it I think I'll knock my rating for the film down to a 2.5. It wasn't quite as enjoyable as other trash might be, like a low-budget slasher film from the 80s.

3/5 is the rating I almost always give to enjoyable trash. Don't mistake it for not beig trash though, it absolutely is.

I suppose that is understandable. Typically movies I find okay in watching, yet ones I wouldn't watch again fall into the 2-3 out of 5 catagory.

I also gave a 3/5 to Red Dawn

I liked Red Dawn. But probably wouldn't rate it higher than 3/5 either. Chances are my 3/5's are higher on the chart than yours are though, judging by our current conversation.

and Scream 3

You honestly need slapped over this.

I won't spin this into a one-off, but simply put.. they bring in a Brother who wasn't mentioned in 1, or 2, EVER.. as the main killer? Its like they literally had NO fucking clue who to make the killer, until it was time for that person to reveal themselves and at that point, someone yelled.. "Make it a Brother no one knew of."

3/5? No. -1/5 is more like it. The worst one of the trilogy, and a clear and blatant attempt to milk more money out of the franchise. Pure shit movie.

Redemption? What redemption? He turned into a fucking monster that murdered completely innocent people who had nothing to do with the deaths of his family. And then SPOILER ALERT, he dies by his own doing. How is that redemption Will?

Murder is murder, regardless what its done for. Self-defense, is still murder in its own right - but about the only type thats considered "okay".

Butler was consumed with rage and anger. He wasn't murdering innocent people, in his mind. He was killing off individuals that were apart of the court, and overall legal system that had connection to his case.

And let's also keep in mind, he didn't start off killing innocent people. He started off by telling them how they could save innocent people, if they'd simply listen - instead of following something by the book. (the guy in the ground, who died due to lack of oxygen.. would've lived, had the Warden not fucked around.)

Again, is that right? No. Murder is murder. But Butler, at that point, wasn't killing. He was proving his point, in a violent and rage consumed manner.

If you actually think this film was an accurate portrayal of our legal system Will...well shit, I've got bad news for you---it's not. At all. Do you have any idea how rare it is for murderers to get off scott clean because of a technicality? Incredibly rare.

I'm not saying murderers get off scott-clean all the time. However, in terms of how this movie potrayed the situation. The true murderer of Butler's Family, did. And due to bad loop-holes.

Why? Because Butler was the only witness? So are you telling me that in real life, if this storyline holds any weight - a murderer could kill an entire family as long as he doesn't leave enough DNA to trace back to him, and if the only person to witness the entire thing, was a surviving member of the Family being murdered.. that the killer could walk?

If that happened to you, could you tell me you wouldn't be just as enraged as Butler's character? Am I saying you'd plot killing several people to prove why the system was shit? NO. But everyone is different. Regardless, if a killer of your loved ones walked free.. you'd want self-redemption and vengeance, too.

Oh please, Butler was the worst of everyone in the entire film, he has the emotional range of a dry paper sack. The performance started off good, and then quickly turned into a poorly developed caricature/stereotype of a character. He spent the majority of the movie killing innocent people. We're supposed to feel bad for this guy? The guy was a fucking psychopath and never once made me care in the slightest bit about what happened to him.

Again, he wasn't killing "innocent" people, through his eyes. He wasn't killing anyone at all. He was putting them in dangerous situations and giving deadlines and ultimatums.

Does that make him good, or right? No. But he wasn't killing in the same sense as a common murderer. He was giving them the chance to save everyone, if only they'd listen to what he wanted them to understand - that no one ever gave thought to, until Foxx finally did which ultimately killed Butler.

Which is one of the things that makes the film so shit Will. It has no idea what it wants to be---one minute it's a revenge film, the next it's a crime thriller, then suddenly it's a fuckin' action film? It has no idea what it wants to be, who it wants you to root for. Are we supposed to root for the psychopath who's family was murdered, or the callous lawyer in Jaime Foxx? The film went back and forth between those two playing the protagonist that by the end of the film you're left completely unsatisfied with the results. Butler dies from his own hand after completely ruining any sympathy we might have had for him, while the asshole lawyer goes to his daughter's recital. Are we supposed to care? I know I sure didn't. The only thing that kept this film enjoyable was the over-the-top gore and acting. Gerard Butler was SO over the top here, I thought maybe the film had descended into a parody of itself at some points.

I think the movie was meant to end with Butler being so consumed with hate, anger and the belief that the legal system would never change.. that vengeance and his psychopathic rage, as you'd call it, sent him over the deep in.

But as far as Foxx goes. The more important message was that Foxx finally took into consideration what Butler wanted them to listen to, all along. And, unless I completely missed it, Foxx accepted what Butler was trying to explain all along and then took it into future cases. To help prevent similar miscarriages of justice.

So the message of the film is that it's okay to murder innocent people to satisfy your own anger over the deaths of loved ones? That's the message Will? That's a terrible message if I may say so. The film spends maybe, what, five minutes MAX actually discussing these technicalities and how they're exploited. If that's the entire message and theme of the film, and they can't even spend more than five minutes to flesh it out, I call that an incredibly poorly made film.

To be perfectly honest. I suppose I'm not entirely sure what the message was. I'd like to say it was something along the lines of the simplistic good will always prevail. And while Butler began as good, in the end, rage filled him with hate and evil. Thus, Foxx prevailed.

If you believe its a shot in the dark, thats because it is. Murder isn't right under any circumstance, shy of self-defense, and even then there is a major grey area. But you have to take this movie at whole-sale for what it was.. a vengeance flick.

Now that I think about it I think I'll knock my rating for the film down to a 2.5. It wasn't quite as enjoyable as other trash might be, like a low-budget slasher film from the 80s.

Not trying to make you dislike it even more, but you've convinced me that through your eyes.. the film is likely no better than a 1.0, or 1.5 at the very highest.

On my chart.. this is how I look at things.

1. Unenjoyable all the way around.
2. Fair, but not worth watching or thinking of anymore.
3. Good, not great but not completely horrible. Okay to watch again to see if the opinion changes.
4. Very good. Worth repeat viewings and recommending. Possibly own worthy.
5. Great. Own-worthy.

That is also a rough view of it, as until now - I never gave 'deep' thought into my rating system beyond; bad, average, good, great, amazing.

(Beyond Law Abiding Citizen. Did you have any other agreements/disagreements with my films? You and Tdigs are pretty much the top two individuals I'm looking to discuss movies with, albeit I'm open for discussion with anyone.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back